Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First AA flashlight suggestions?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Re: First AA flashlight suggestions?
Reply #60 on: February 13, 2018, 04:28:04 PM
The C8 is just amazing!
It freaked me out at first really,I have much more pricey throwers and it is not easy to decide which are better but it is tough to argue against the C8 for the price.

I would also find the version with the programmable 23? option chipset as the thing throws just as amazingly at 5% as it does at 100% and more options are a good thing and not too tough to program either.

The Convoy C8, with XP-L HI led in the U6 3A (Neutral White) with mode option 2 (Low = 5%, Med = 30%, High = 100% ) and 8 7135 chips looks pretty good.  :drool:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Convoy-C8-with-XPL-HI-LED/330416_32651190452.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.2c576d6c63eqgz
Ok.... Phew... Technobabble over with.  :ahhh

Review:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/51463
Side note: That beamshot!  :o

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #61 on: February 13, 2018, 05:37:21 PM
There's no way that I'll edc a 18650 light.  :D
My AAA Ti3 is practically perfect for regular edc, and I might edc a AA light if given enough motivation. But 18650? No way Jose!  :rofl:

I'm looking for a thrower to use at home and on camps, so the size of the C8 is fine, and I don't see why I should get a s2 if the larger size of the C8 is not a problem.  :think:  :like:

Fact is, my Ti3 is incredibly versatile for edc use.
I don't see how a larger light could be more versatile because the compactness of the Ti3 is one of the reasons that it's so versatile for me.
The modes (0.02, 12 and 150 lumens) are so far apart that people have described them as different lights.
I REALLY like that, from an edc standpoint. Another thing I like is how it starts with the lowest mode.
And that a spare battery is so compact to edc too.
Did I mention it's versatility?  :D

The Ti3 is definitely my main flashlight, for edc purposes or otherwise. Everything else is supplementary.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: February 13, 2018, 09:33:17 PM
I understand your reasoning and it is your choice but I will keep the answer short

Wall Of Light! >:D

An S2 is not a tough pocket carry but the sheer volume of light is pretty impressive and just different than the C8 so for me the clear choice is......both of course!
I do wear Carpenter Jeans every day ad the 18650 lights slide right into the Side Rule Pocket so I have that going for me.

If I unleash either of them while camping women will weep,mainly because the men all want to throw money at the light but hey.

I am equally impressed like I said already by the wall of light from that little 1aa Jetbeam on a Lithium cell and there are more choices like that all over the place but I don't know of another for under $15 and I have done a lot of testing too.

And you are certainly correct about the Rabbit Hole!

There's no way that I'll edc a 18650 light.  :D
My AAA Ti3 is practically perfect for regular edc, and I might edc a AA light if given enough motivation. But 18650? No way Jose!  :rofl:

I'm looking for a thrower to use at home and on camps, so the size of the C8 is fine, and I don't see why I should get a s2 if the larger size of the C8 is not a problem.  :think:  :like:

Fact is, my Ti3 is incredibly versatile for edc use.
I don't see how a larger light could be more versatile because the compactness of the Ti3 is one of the reasons that it's so versatile for me.
The modes (0.02, 12 and 150 lumens) are so far apart that people have described them as different lights.
I REALLY like that, from an edc standpoint. Another thing I like is how it starts with the lowest mode.
And that a spare battery is so compact to edc too.
Did I mention it's versatility?  :D

The Ti3 is definitely my main flashlight, for edc purposes or otherwise. Everything else is supplementary.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: February 13, 2018, 09:59:14 PM
 :rofl:

I was thinking of going for the neutral white version instead of cool white. I know that the apparent brightness of neutral white (and warm white even more so) is less than the cool white version, but I really like the neutral white tint....
I haven't tried any warm white flashlights yet, by the way...
What are your thoughts regarding tints?

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: February 13, 2018, 10:38:36 PM
I will choose NW over CW every time if it is an option for normal lights.
My S2 are all NW except 1 because I just had to try one and see if I like it,I don't but it is still a lot of light for the price.
Especially outside the NW is just so much less "Angry" looking to me.
The Thrower is all about output really and the Angry Blue CW is OK there as I am just trying to reach out as far as I can,NW would be OK too but not as crucial to my personal tastes but I do have both in different throwers too.

The Jetbeam Jet1 is only sold in CW I think and it does not matter to me at all,it is not a offensive CW as they can be and again it is so much light for so little money that I just do not care!
I can't remember if I mentioned already that the Jetbeam has a threaded hole in the tail?
I used it to clamp mine to a rack Today to get a good angle on a repair I was making and my headlamp kept banging into the other stuff in the rack.
That threaded hole can be a god send and not many lights have one but more should I think!

I was thinking of going for the neutral white version instead of cool white. I know that the apparent brightness of neutral white (and warm white even more so) is less than the cool white version, but I really like the neutral white tint....
I haven't tried any warm white flashlights yet, by the way...
What are your thoughts regarding tints?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:40:08 PM by ezdog »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: February 13, 2018, 11:29:11 PM
Its time to start over thinking things.  :whistle:
How useful is the C8 at lighting up the ground immediately ahead of you, like when you are using a headlight, at say... 5% power? :think:

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #66 on: February 14, 2018, 09:23:31 AM
The C8 format is considered a "thrower" design, famous for throwing a reasonably narrow beam far away. 

They will spill some light as well (illuminating sideways) but that is not their core purpose.

for spill you need a short or no reflector, (and a large surface emitter) as seen in many keychain lights.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:01 AM
The C8 format is considered a "thrower" design, famous for throwing a reasonably narrow beam far away. 

They will spill some light as well (illuminating sideways) but that is not their core purpose.

for spill you need a short or no reflector, (and a large surface emitter) as seen in many keychain lights.
Yup, I know that. :cheers:
 I also like using things for unintended purposes, hence the question.

All hail the hook!

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: February 14, 2018, 01:30:34 PM
The C8 really throws a narrow "Pencil" of light if that makes sense to you?
Inside or where that beam can reflect off something else there will be a small spill to light your path but outside on the ground not so much at all.

This is really why I was only 1/2 joking about needing them both.

The S2 Wall of Light is equally impressive and a lot more practical unless doing search & rescue maybe but both are tons of fun anyway.

Most would choose the Wall first and then a Thrower but I think I bought my first thrower early on as there is a park next to my house and it is nice to be able to see any part of it from my yard.

This is also why these Convoy are so great,they are so inexpensive for what they do!

I have not seen anyone chiming in with anything else either. :think:

Its time to start over thinking things.  :whistle:
How useful is the C8 at lighting up the ground immediately ahead of you, like when you are using a headlight, at say... 5% power? :think:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: February 15, 2018, 11:05:26 AM

All hail the hook!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #70 on: February 16, 2018, 01:07:08 PM
For those looking for a bright but cheap AAA light you can get a Zanflare (sort of a brand) 150L  one from G-best, using the code F3AAA $7.99  which is seriously cheap for the specs

I am tempted, though I have no need for it
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: February 19, 2018, 01:29:28 PM
Am I over thinking things?
I want to get and use stuff that will last long enough to become sentimental, etc. You know, like SAKs.  :dd: :dd:
That involves making sure that I won't irreparably damage them on the way to the 10 year, 20 year, 1000 year goal.  ::)

But I'm also extending that line of thinking to my Ti3, and... my eneloops.  :facepalm:
I mean, thinking like this about a cheap flashlight is bad enough, but batteries?!  :rofl:

Back to the Ti3... That involves thinking about how it might fail, a tragic accident or manufacturer defect aside.
The batteries are probably NOT going to be a failure mode, the LED should last for a very long time, etc etc.

It seems that the most likely failure mode that puts it out of service is to do with the twisty threads or the LED driver circuit board, unless I'm missing something.
In case of circuit board failure, it SEEMS like I might be able to fix it or rustle up/make a replacement if I learn the skillzzzzz.

I don't think that I could ever fix the threads if they wear out though.  ::)
So yeah... How much use should I expect to get out of the anodized aluminium threads, assuming no overstressing/abuse, and decent lubrication? Big question I know, buy this is MTO.  :think:

And if you were choosing a keychain light for the long long long long haul, to possibly pass on to the generation after the generation coming after the next generation, what would you pick?

It's electrical stuff in an age where they're so cheap you might as well upgrade and chuck.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: February 19, 2018, 06:31:29 PM
Am I over thinking things?
I want to get and use stuff that will last long enough to become sentimental, etc. You know, like SAKs.  :dd: :dd:
That involves making sure that I won't irreparably damage them on the way to the 10 year, 20 year, 1000 year goal.  ::)

But I'm also extending that line of thinking to my Ti3, and... my eneloops.  :facepalm:
I mean, thinking like this about a cheap flashlight is bad enough, but batteries?!  :rofl:

Back to the Ti3... That involves thinking about how it might fail, a tragic accident or manufacturer defect aside.
The batteries are probably NOT going to be a failure mode, the LED should last for a very long time, etc etc.

It seems that the most likely failure mode that puts it out of service is to do with the twisty threads or the LED driver circuit board, unless I'm missing something.
In case of circuit board failure, it SEEMS like I might be able to fix it or rustle up/make a replacement if I learn the skillzzzzz.

I don't think that I could ever fix the threads if they wear out though.  ::)
So yeah... How much use should I expect to get out of the anodized aluminium threads, assuming no overstressing/abuse, and decent lubrication? Big question I know, buy this is MTO.  :think:

And if you were choosing a keychain light for the long long long long haul, to possibly pass on to the generation after the generation coming after the next generation, what would you pick?

It's electrical stuff in an age where they're so cheap you might as well upgrade and chuck.
You can make a similar argument about SAKs.  >:D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 04:43:56 AM
I got a good 2xAA low priced sofrin sf13 a month ago, great bang your buck at $12ish 420 lumens, hard to beat.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: February 21, 2018, 01:57:07 AM
I got a good 2xAA low priced sofrin sf13 a month ago, great bang your buck at $12ish 420 lumens, hard to beat.
And that leads me to a problem....

If I get the C8, my “fancy” light collection will consist of that, and the Ti3.
Between those two, most of the bases/niches seem to be covered.  :facepalm:

I like the Lumintop iyp365, but what purpose would it serve? :think:

I want a AA light, but I can’t figure out what I’m looking for in that size.
Near as I can figure out, a more hand-and-pocket-carryable version of the Thrunite TH20 would be awesome. :drool:

The T10 xp-l is nice, but it appears to have been temporarily discontinued while they get ready to sell a newer version for 2018?  ??? :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: February 21, 2018, 02:01:11 AM
just buy a bunch of lights already  :rofl:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: February 21, 2018, 02:05:04 AM
since you bumped the thread I've gotten about 5 lights  :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: February 21, 2018, 02:08:35 AM
since you bumped the thread I've gotten about 5 lights  :pok:
Yeah I know, I seem to buy one light every few months.  :facepalm: :rofl:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: February 21, 2018, 02:14:08 AM
I'm a bit shy of how it has not one, but TWO switches (extra points of failure), but I like the look of the Archer 1a v3.  :drool:
Or the 2a version?  :ahhh

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: February 21, 2018, 05:17:57 AM
Pablo, as a man with way too many flashlights, I think I can give you a good suggestion if you list your requirements(Price, 1 or 2 batteries, output, twisty/clickie, size etc)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: February 21, 2018, 11:11:51 AM
Pablo, as a man with way too many flashlights, I think I can give you a good suggestion if you list your requirements(Price, 1 or 2 batteries, output, twisty/clickie, size etc)
  • Type and # of Batteries: "Any" for now, with the only caveat being that I prefer to use my eneloops. Same for price, but affordable is good.
  • Must turn on on a low mode, or have a shortcut for a low mode
  • High mode should be over 200 lumens (Otherwise I just end up using my Ti3)
  • Looking for some nice large spill around the hotspot, the throw only needs to be around 50 meters minimum
  • Preferably twisty, but not a deal breaker
  • Size, any
  • Be nice if it could be used as a headlamp, in addition to hand use and pocket carry

That said....

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:44 AM
To sum it up.
I would pay zebralight-level money for a proper right angle version of the TH20 with options for pocket carry. :ahhh

• I love the adjustable mode, where just by holding the button I can ramp the brightness from 1.6 lumens to 250 lumens and back.  :drool:
  • I love the UI, period.
  • The option to use 14500 batteries for extra brightness is icing on the cake, but I like using eneloops even more.
  • I have a firefly mode which is the perfect brightness.  :like:
  • The spill of the beam is great also.
I think the TH20 is a 98% light. The missing 2 percent is not being able to comfortably use in the hand, like a right angle light, and not having any edc options besides the headband. Its a BIG 2%.  :facepalm:

I just found the Manker E03H. I think that it might be another 98% light, but with the RIGHT 98%.
  • It can be used as a headlamp or hand light.
  • Pocket carry is no problem, with the removable clip
  • The modes are not as good as the TH20, but still very nice
  • The moonlight mode level can be adjusted after entering a special mode
  • Its got pretty coloured diffusers! :like:
  • You can't accidentally activate any of the blinky modes
  • Its even cheaper than the TH20
http://www.mankerlight.com/manker-e03h-aa-headlamp-350-lumen-angle-flashlight-with-headband/
In summary, I think I found something close to the one I'm looking for.  :think:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 11:14:36 AM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: February 21, 2018, 11:32:20 PM
well thank the lord, I was gonna reach through my monitor and slap you  :rofl:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #83 on: February 21, 2018, 11:34:35 PM

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #84 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:36 PM
I was pretty indecisive, huh?  ::)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: February 22, 2018, 02:12:06 AM

2 years!  :ahhh

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:32 AM

2 years!  :ahhh
Pretty fast by geological standards.  8)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: February 22, 2018, 11:04:27 PM
Before I get the E03H.. Any reason you can think of to not get it or wait a while?

“Speak now or forever hold your peace”

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #88 on: February 23, 2018, 09:47:03 AM
I don't want to put you off your purchase so I'll wait till later to give a reason...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: February 23, 2018, 09:56:18 AM
Tell me more tell me more, pretty pretty pretty please?

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24