Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3D design progress

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: 3D design progress
Reply #30 on: March 22, 2016, 09:45:46 PM
Live and learn, right?

Absolutely. There's no right or wrong way* to make a 3D model of something, but often you'll find that whatever software you're using can't do it the way you first thought - there's one method that just seems easier than all the others.

You need to get into curves and lofts fit the kayak project. :pok:

* but some methods are definitely better than others ;)

Curves are definitely a problem for me at the moment.  I can't seem to do anything with curves and I'm still not sure if it's a limit of the software or my abilities.  I'm assuming it's me.

I did manage to locate my copy of Sketchup 8 for Dummies, and even though I'm using Sketchup 2016 it seems to be helping a lot.  I still have a long bloody way to go though.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 08:35:54 PM
I found this awesome gadget on eBay that allows me to keep my Surge handles closed for ONLY $12!  Well, I can't afford $12 so I decided to see if I could reverse engineer it because the internet is completely free, right?

Redundancy not included.....

Def
Def Slam.jpg
* Def Slam.jpg (Filesize: 148.61 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 09:32:20 PM
:rofl: I'll take 10!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 10:01:42 PM
Sneaky... that other guy copied your idea then went back in time and posted it on ebay!   :rofl:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 10:30:47 PM
It's worse than that- he also went back in time and stole my design for the Flux Capacitor!   :ahhh

Since I had Sketchup open I decided to fiddle a little bit with the DefTool design a bit more.  I made it more pocketable by cutting off some corners and labeling things, because apparently that is all that is required these days to pretend something is a whole new model.  :P

I also fixed the can opener so it can be used as a bottle opener as well.  The current list of functions is:

Can Opener
Bottle opener
1/4" hex slot
Double ended screwdriver bit
4mm wrench
8mm wrench
12mm wrench
Prybar
Nail puller
Cutting edge
02 Wrench
Flathead/phillips screwdriver

The pill shaped slot is where the double ended screwdriver slot would fit, with a couple of rubber o rings to hold it in place.  I have fallen into the trap of trying to include as many functions as I can without worrying about actually using those tools... but then unlike the "designers" that do that, I have no intention of putting this into production.  :D

Def
DeftoolXL.jpg
* DeftoolXL.jpg (Filesize: 80.22 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 11:24:32 PM
Grant, great start but I'll help out for ultimate success!

1. You dont have near enough dedicated hex holes.  Its considered quite a newb mistake its ok...  :D  The unspoken rule in OPT design is to make 20+ random hex cutouts scattered around like a dropped bag of skittles on the floor.  Also consider non hex holes, as they somehow also add to the mystique of the tool.  You can make fun of people who dont know what the crescent moon shaped cutout if for... smart buyers will be too afraid to ask.  Throw in some peanut shaped ones... everyone knows those are the next hex shape.

2.  Its best if you have never used or owned tools.  You're at a bit of a disadvantage there too.  The best OPT designers have backgrounds in art history or retail management, and have never even held a tool in real life.  They can quickly dismiss comments from actual tool users as they cant comprehend them.  :D

3.  Now what you need is ATTITUDE.  Post that wicked piece of swiss cheese metal art on kickstarter with BIG BOLD challenges.  No other tool has so many functions... be sure to list them all with creative uses.  Dont worry its makes no difference if the uses are stupid, its all about quantity.  (one sided not returning boomerang is fine FYI.. etc)  You can even post a giveaway contest to see if anyone can possibly conceive of a tool that can come close to yours... but that might be going too far.   :rofl:

4.  Buy a big bag to hold all the money!!!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:27:43 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 11:37:24 PM
Well, I didn't add more hex cutouts or fancy peanuts, but I did add a spark plug gapper and a lanyard hole- does that count?

I also started thinking of a tactical black version to see if I could charge more for it.

I wonder if I should do a Kickstarter campaign for it....  could be fun to see what happens....   :think:

Def
DeftoolXL.jpg
* DeftoolXL.jpg (Filesize: 133.75 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 11:48:59 PM
I had a quick search on there, and didnt see near as many of the OPTs as a year ago.  Maybe they arent as in fad anymore.

I only found one failed one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sharktool/sharktool-the-universal-multitool

Ah found more, had to search multitool

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2044861232/schnelle-engineering-titanium-cerberus-multitool

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/key-z/polytool-a-multitool-for-the-everyday-adventurer

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 11:57:29 PM by Syph007 »

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #38 on: March 24, 2016, 01:06:38 AM
Here's a challenege, a 3d printed MTO fishing lure!

Catching a fish on one is instant merit badge approval :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: March 24, 2016, 02:07:54 AM
A fishing lure with a bottle opener..... sounds interesting!

Def

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #40 on: March 24, 2016, 02:12:19 AM
Well, I didn't add more hex cutouts or fancy peanuts, but I did add a spark plug gapper and a lanyard hole- does that count?

I also started thinking of a tactical black version to see if I could charge more for it.

I wonder if I should do a Kickstarter campaign for it....  could be fun to see what happens....   :think:

Def
I like the fact that there is an actual "blade". So many one piece tools are afraid to build in something sharp. Looks really great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #41 on: March 24, 2016, 07:23:32 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa people...  we nearly missed something EPIC.

Def

Combining the two greatest activities of all time,  They'd sell like hot cakes.  :ahhh :ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: March 24, 2016, 11:50:54 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa people...  we nearly missed something EPIC.

Def

Combining the two greatest activities of all time,  They'd sell like hot cakes.  :ahhh :ahhh

Is it sad that I'm already working on it?  :P

Def

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: March 24, 2016, 11:56:02 AM
Not crazy about the outside sharp-pointy blades... still better than the Metperial though  :D
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: March 24, 2016, 12:09:52 PM
Not crazy about the outside sharp-pointy blades... still better than the Metperial though  :D

That's not actually that hard.... :P

Def

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #45 on: March 24, 2016, 12:54:16 PM

What's the sharpened part next to the 1/4" hex cutout for, again?

I think you need to make the flat SD a little longer than the can opener, Boss, and change the can opener's shape a bit to make it more pocket friendly. Alternatively, you could provide a good pouch for the tool to be kept in. Not a bad design overall. :tu:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #46 on: March 24, 2016, 01:10:30 PM
So, I will meet you down the docks, for the knock-off Atwoods later tonight  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: March 24, 2016, 01:35:31 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

What's the sharpened part next to the 1/4" hex cutout for, again?

I think you need to make the flat SD a little longer than the can opener, Boss, and change the can opener's shape a bit to make it more pocket friendly. Alternatively, you could provide a good pouch for the tool to be kept in. Not a bad design overall. :tu:

The sharpened part next to the 1/4" hole is a sharp part..... not quite a knife blade because I hate having these things exposed, but a sharpened bit for basic cutting tasks.

The flat head actually does stick out a bit from the end of the can opener, but yeah, I have been considering extending it a bit further yet.  And I have been looking at shortening the can opener a little more so it doesn't stick out quite so much.  Without a physical version though it's hard to know where the line between function and comfort really is.

I think I'm addicted to adding features though.  The list for the version above is:

Can Opener
Bottle opener
1/4" hex slot
Double ended screwdriver bit
4mm wrench
8mm wrench
12mm wrench
Prybar
Nail puller
Cutting edge
02 Wrench
Flathead/phillips screwdriver
Lanyard hole
Spark Plug gap tool

And now I have added a 1mm x 5mm neodymium magnet on the underside of the can/bottle opener, a pointed carbide insert for breaking glass and a pocket clip.  So now I am up to seventeen functions.

Worst of all, thanks to Syph007, I am seriously considering a Kickstarter campaign now!

Def
DeftoolXL.jpg
* DeftoolXL.jpg (Filesize: 124.1 KB)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:37:42 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #48 on: March 24, 2016, 03:12:16 PM
I dont see that carbide window breaker working that well on the long end.  Maybe put it on one of the short ends, so you can hit windows with a backhammer sort of swing?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: March 24, 2016, 03:32:46 PM
That was my first thought.  I was going to put it on the end of the can opener but then two things occurred to me :

1-  it would get in the way of the screwdriver, meaning whenever you tried to loosen or tighten a screw you would also be drawing a ring around said screw.

2-  No one actually uses these to break windows, and like most of the multitools on the market with glass breaking tips, it is probably going to be useless anyway because there isn't enough mass behind it.  :-P

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 24, 2016, 05:16:47 PM
I really must say I understand the large variety of OPTs, it just seems so fun designing them!

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: March 24, 2016, 09:36:50 PM
That was my first thought.  I was going to put it on the end of the can opener but then two things occurred to me :

1-  it would get in the way of the screwdriver, meaning whenever you tried to loosen or tighten a screw you would also be drawing a ring around said screw.

2-  No one actually uses these to break windows, and like most of the multitools on the market with glass breaking tips, it is probably going to be useless anyway because there isn't enough mass behind it.  :-P

Def
::) then get rid of that pokey smurf!

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: March 24, 2016, 09:50:25 PM

Def

Actually I moved it to the end.  I may get rid of it entirely but I'll leave it for now as it is one more function... and that's what these are all about, right?  Ramming as many functions into a tool, whether they are functional or not?  :P

Def

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: March 24, 2016, 10:16:46 PM

Def

Actually I moved it to the end.  I may get rid of it entirely but I'll leave it for now as it is one more function... and that's what these are all about, right?  Ramming as many functions into a tool, whether they are functional or not?  :P

Def
You should add a fish scaler then.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #54 on: March 24, 2016, 10:51:51 PM
If you want a challenge add pliers to one side... :D 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62