Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$100 EDC- Your thoughts?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
$100 EDC- Your thoughts?
on: March 01, 2016, 11:50:16 PM
I heard an interesting question and thought I would see what folks here thought.

Imagine you have no EDC items, and a hundred dollars to spend.  Ideally you'd get a flashlight, a knife and a multitool, but they can't total more than $100.  What would you get?  And would you get the flashlight, knife and multitool or would you delete or exchange one of those three items for something else?

I'm not sure what my choices would be just yet, but I'd love to hear what everyone else suggests.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: $100 EDC- Your thoughts?
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 12:05:56 AM
Is this $100 retail, or can I use personal, past pawn shop finds and other such "discounts" for as a part of my $100 EDC?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 12:23:33 AM
Is this $100 retail, or can I use personal, past pawn shop finds and other such "discounts" for as a part of my $100 EDC?

Use discounts, but be reasonable- we all have found some "once in a lifetime" type deals that you can't count on finding again.  However, full retail is pushing it a bit too far the other way.  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 12:27:03 AM
Going for a UK perspective,let's say £100?

iLight iO3 or a Fenix EO5
If Amazon still have them at the right price,a MP600 bladeless,and either a Tinker or a Pioneer?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 12:41:01 AM

If Amazon still have them at the right price,a MP600 bladeless,and either a Tinker or a Pioneer?

When I originally read the questions, it was £50, but that didn't sound reasonable to me so I was generous on the exchange rate.  :D

Having given this a bit more thought, I think I'd do the following:

Victorinox Farmer (around $35)
CRKT Zilla (around $30-35)
Mini Mag LED (around $20)

This leaves me about ten dollars for some matches (or a lighter), a small notebook and a cheap pen, all of which I would probably want in my EDC as well. 

Def

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 12:43:07 AM
For me the first things that come to mind without too much overthinking are:

Vic Spartan (add mini driver).
Olight i03 light (AA).
Leatherman Wave or ST300 or Charge AL.

I know you can find a real good used Spartan for $10-15 or less.  The light was $20 I think and so the MT would easily be had for the rest with some to spare.  Even though I am not a fan of the Wave, the tools that comes on it are good.  I would look for a Charge AL or ST300 first!

EDIT:  Looking at Grant's post, I don't EDC a lighter or matches now as they are not needed daily but if I was looking to get more of a kit or spend the $100 in full to make one, I would probably add a Bic or two.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:46:53 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 12:44:29 AM

When I originally read the questions, it was £50, but that didn't sound reasonable to me so I was generous on the exchange rate.  :D

This leaves me about ten dollars for some matches (or a lighter), a small notebook and a cheap pen, all of which I would probably want in my EDC as well. 

Def

I wouldn't buy a pen, I would go to a bank or credit union and get one for free!  They usually have them to give away!  :)  This can be said for paper/pads too or just use scrap paper that I cut into pieces. 

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 12:48:22 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 12:54:49 AM
Ok, now that the rules are decided...
I would probably be either:

1. Used Leatherman Rebar, $25 (price found at multiple pawn shops)
2. Victorinox Delemont Evogrip 14, $33 (Amazon.com)
3. Set of 2 Nite-Ize Size #0 S-Biners, $5

OR:

1. Used Leatherman Juice KF4, $40 (eBay)
2. Victorinox Delemont Evogrip 14, $33 (Amazon.com)
3. Small length of figure 8 chain links, $2 (Home Depot)

I'd prefer the second option, but the first seems a little more reasonable given the circumstances of the rules. This pretty closley resembles my current EDC anyhow. :shrug:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2016, 01:07:53 AM
Lots of good possibilities with $100 to spend.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2016, 01:19:23 AM
I'd probably go with a new Leatherman Surge (80ish?) (Maybe less for an old SS Version)

And a Fenix E05, E12, or a similar size Fenix.

I don't see any situation that the Surge couldn't handle, and my E05 has just about the right setting for any EDC situation I've been in.

No need for a dedicated pocket knife IMO, not worth the weight and the Surge blade has survived batoning!

I do think 50$ would be a better Challenege. Maybe a used Sidekick (20ish), the same light, (20ish) with enough left for a used Micra that compensates for the lack of scissors on the Sidekick.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 01:22:22 AM by NKlamerus »

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2016, 01:21:17 AM
So new on Amazon:

Vic Fishermen $35 (my original SAK) was a Huntsman but I rarely used the saw but the fish scaler is more useful.

Or Vic Compact $30 ish

Cheap $6 led light, with magnet and hook (never was a flashlight snob an it is what I use)

Sog Paratool $48 (which on a budget I would drop)

Use the remaining $11 for a mini screwdriver or save up for plus scales.

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2016, 01:23:14 AM
I'd probably go with a new Leatherman Surge (80ish?) (Maybe less for an old SS Version)

And a Fenix E05, E12, or a similar size Fenix.

I don't see any situation that the Surge couldn't handle, and my E05 has just about the right setting for any EDC situation I've been in.

No need for a dedicated pocket knife IMO, not worth the weight and the Surge blade has survived batoning!

I agree, most of the time it would be better to put the money into a knife or MT not both

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2016, 01:32:15 AM
1. Delica 4 or Kershaw Leek
2. Vic Rambler
3. Cheap Torch

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: March 02, 2016, 01:49:02 AM
Swisschamp
RR Barlow
Solitair led  :tu:

us Offline Yalius

Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 01:51:08 AM
1. Rebar-- $50
2. Kershaw Diskin Hunter $24
3. Costco 3-pack 180Lm LED lights-- $25

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 01:52:56 AM

Def
Why the Zilla? Most people don't like it. Glad to see it make the Boss list. :clap:
Lots of good possibilities with $100 to spend.
Very much so.

If I'm not mistaken the rules are you have zero edc items, and you have $100 to spend on an edc set to actually carry EVERYDAY!!!! Is that accurate? I love these threads! :nanadance:

My initial elections:
1. Leatherman Skeletool
2. Leatherman Style CS
3. Fenix E01

Reasoning: This would give me a high capacity carry, that I can carry in a lot of different situations for $70 if all were purchased from Amazon today. The skeletool acts more of a knife, while the style covers what the skele lacks. The fenix covers my basic light needs without taking up much pocket space. Overall I could live with this.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 02:05:13 AM
That was quick :facepalm: second choices
Leatherman Rebar
Victorinox Compact
Mini Maglite

This is a much more capable tool set and closer to the budget line, but thinking it over twice I would choose this first. I've been using the maglite at work lately and it's a great light. The Rebar and Compact work very very well together. There would be no complaints here.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #17 on: March 02, 2016, 02:26:35 AM
I'd go with

Rebar (or MP600 Pro Scout if your dead set on having scissors)
RAT-1
Streamlight microstream

*and a Bic lighter if you have a buck leftover
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:28:31 AM by clown »

ar Offline wmoco

Reply #18 on: March 02, 2016, 02:31:18 AM
This could sound silly but where i live (weather is similar to Las Vegas i think) the absolute must is sunglasses.
But maybe it's not in the spirit of this question? Someone could say "a $100 cellphone" ...

So, after cellphone and sunglasses:

- Any SAK with scissors
- Pen (if not already in SAK scales hehehe)
- Any flashlight
- Disposable lighter

I never carried a dedicated knife in my life so, i say no thanks to that.
Nothing fancy to write here...

ca Offline JP

Reply #19 on: March 02, 2016, 02:38:01 AM
Leatherman Micra
Leatherman Skeletool
Petzl Tikkina.

If the exchange rate allows it on the dollar I would bump up a model on the headlamp.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:40:01 AM by JP »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2016, 02:55:08 AM
Thinking outside the box I could get by with a Spirit and classic. Can't go wrong with those two

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #21 on: March 02, 2016, 03:41:56 AM
Oh, I like this game.

Leatherman Rebar - $60 at Wallyworld or Lowes, I could save $10 by going through Amazon.
CRKT Minimalist - $20 at Walmart or Lowes, $25 through Amazon. Sporadic availability at Lowes.
Maglite Solitaire LED - $12 at any of the three.

So if I get the Leatherman and the Solitaire through Amazon, $62. Get the Minimalist through Walmart for $82 total, leaving me $18. While at Walmart, a notepad, a couple pens, a roll of duct tape, a  pair of nail scissors, glasses screwdriver, handkerchief, lighter and a 50' coil of UST paracord. That should still leave you with a buck or two, give you a knife, multi, flashlight, lighter and a nice assortment of small tools. Wrap the a foot or so of duct tape around each pen and the Solitaire, and braid a lanyard for the light from the paracord. Carefully open at least one of the clam shells so you can wrap more of the tape around a piece of it, and make a caterpillar coil of say 25-30' of paracord.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 02, 2016, 05:30:17 AM
If you want to make it really interesting then you need to put a time constraint on it. Let's say I needed to replace my gear because I'm traveling and I've lost my kit. No time to order online, I'm just going to hit the nearest Walmart.

1 Ozark trail head lamp and flashlight combo $14.95
2 Gerber ceramic sharpener $2.88
3 Ozark Trail flip opening knife  $3.87
4 Coleman Camp knife $10.97
5 Ozark Trail multi tool $9.97
6 Coghlan's chow kit $2.04
7 a small backpack or messenger bag (various brands) $10- 15.00

So far that's around $60.00 in round numbers.  The rest of the money can buy food and water and incidentals such as a lighter and maybe a hank of cordage. This stuff doesn't need to last forever, just has to get me home.  If I use it to destruction I'm not going to be too upset about it.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: March 02, 2016, 05:47:33 AM
I would get a Wave with pocket clip, spend the rest on a Fenix AAA light.
Done.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #24 on: March 02, 2016, 06:08:58 AM
Urg, I lost my original post. Ok, so I tried to keep these prices current, but a couple may be fudged a dollar or two.  With the assumption of a complete EDC rebuild, though with the caveat that my glasses are safe (prescription eyeglasses easily blow that limit away), I came up with the following:

Knife: Victorinox Recruit - online for $12, purchased for $9 from Walmart on clearance
Multitool: Leatherman Micra - online for $20, purchased at Hillsville antique fair for $15
Flashlight: Fenix E01 - online for $11
Wallet: Big Skinny Card Case - online for $8.50
Pen: Zebra F-301 - Sam's Club 9-pack for $10
Paper: Pocket notebook - WalMart $1
Handkerchief: Generic handkerchief - Ross or TJ Maxx 5-pack for $5
Lighter: Bic Mini - WalMart 2-pack for $2.50
Carabiner and key ring - WalMart special - $1.50
Phone: AT&T Nokia Lumia 640 - currently being clearanced at multiple locations for $30

That puts me at $101.50, I believe, so let's assume I found some change on the ground. :D If the phone wasn't a part of the replacement plan, I would probably upgrade the flashlight to a Fenix LD09 for around $37.  The above items also look at the bulk prices, so I have backups for the lighter, pen, and handkerchief.

If we take it a step further and have a lower threshold, it would cause for a more minimalistic, but still reasonable carry.

Knife: Opinel No. 6 - online for $7
Multitool: Sears 4-way screwdriver and P38 - $1.50 from Sears and a flea market
Flashlight: Photon pinch light knick-off - 10-pack online for $4
Wallet: Rubberband or butterfly clip - $1, or free from work
Pen: Zebra F-301 - WalMart 2-pack for $3
Writing: Piece of printer paper folded over and staples, edged trimmed to open pages - Free from work printer
Handkerchief: Generic handkerchief - CVS 2-pack for $1
Lighter: Bic Mini - WalMart 2-pack for $2.50
Carabiner and key ring - WalMart special - $1.50
Phone: BLU Tank II - $18 from Amazon

Before factoring in the cost of the phone, the tally for all of the above comes in under $25. ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:13:16 AM by Sazabi »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 07:01:49 AM
Maybe not ideal across the board, but certainly solid.

Wenger Traveler  - $25

Leatherman PST - $35

TerraLux Pro - $40

IMG_7065.JPG
* IMG_7065.JPG (Filesize: 34.36 KB)

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: March 02, 2016, 07:04:24 AM
Victorinox SwissTool - 80 USD (I overspent here but a proper, trustworthy MT is irreplaceable)
Byrd Meadowlark (or Cara for a few extra USD) - 15 USD
Ultrafire 1500 CREE XML - 5 USD
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 07:26:03 AM
US$100 is around R1500 now.

I'd go with the following. (Given my multitool is a SAK). All Leatherman tools start at R1100 ($73) for a Skele and up so that will blow it quickly.

1. Byrd Meadowlark FRN - R425
2. Second hand SAK Huntsman - R300
3. Fenix E05 - R450

wales Online hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #28 on: March 02, 2016, 10:41:43 AM
$100 = £72

Victorinox Spirit = £68.50 on Amazon

And look!  A 2000 lumen torch for just £3.50. :D

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: March 02, 2016, 10:44:45 AM
$100 = £72

Victorinox Spirit = £68.50 on Amazon

And look!  A 2000 lumen torch for just £3.50. :D

Exactly my choices. Only had to replace the Spirit with a SwissTool to keep enough for a knife.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%