Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Don't buy cheap disposable lighters.

Aloha · 48 · 4521

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Don't buy cheap disposable lighters.
on: March 02, 2016, 07:30:00 PM
Thats my opinion of course.  I use lighters in my home for candles, paracord, grill, burning loose threads and whatever else.  I don't rely on it necessarily so I tend to buy cheap $1 store multi packs.  If one fails then into the trash and no harm just grab another.   Well these cheap lighters tend to fail often in my experience and aren't cheap in the long run.

I was thinking of those who EDC a lighter when posting this.  If you are going to rely on a lighter then spend a few bucks to get a "good" one.  I don't know if Bic is that much better but there has to be better ones than this piece of poo. 

They always fail in the same place.  The part that release the fuel ( black part ) wont spring back up. It wont release fuel for some reason.  It just flops around.   The other lighter is better and so far has not failed.

IMG_0343 copy.jpg
* IMG_0343 copy.jpg (Filesize: 212.33 KB)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:31:21 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Don't buy cheap disposable lighters.
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 07:48:52 PM
I buy Djeep lighters, never had one fall apart yet. Then again, I'm not a heavy user. (Mainly use lighters for paracord.)

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:58:57 PM
It just burns me up when those cheap lighters don't work.

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:00:24 PM
I don´t smoke anymore. Except some pipes or cigars during summer as a process of relaxing. On this part I highly prefer matches over lighters. No fuel lighters as they seem to spoil the taste somehow (IMHO).

I use lighters to fire the stove and the grill. For candles and sometimes for paracord. I have mostly Bic there. They work well, at least for me. I have a stove lighter I got about several years ago from a hardware store - Bic it is - and it still works just amazingly well. We lighten the stove every single day during the cold months. So it gets used almost daily and there was refiling required, yet.

:cheers:
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 08:47:55 PM
It's incredible how many dead lighters you can find on the beach- I guess one beloved Zippo, high maintenance it may be, saves a lot of plastic trash. I still love and use matches a lot, but I'm pure pathetic nostalgia.

Tomcat
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 09:01:02 PM
I have a handful of Bics that get thrown into my kits and around the house. Never had one fail yet. In fact, I use them so infrequently that I still have my first Bic that has got to be about 10 years old at this point and it still works.

That being said, I EDC a Zippo, well alternating between 2 different ones actually), that both have butane torch inserts. Not sure how long the insert will hold up though as I've heard mixed reviews about the brand (Z-Plus). So far so good. The case should last forever though.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 10:38:33 PM
I've never liked disposables.  I've been a Zippo guy for over 20 years. This one's my current EDC.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 12:17:40 AM
The sad fact is that for many of us non-smokers (who won't be using a lighter everyday) a Bic is probably more reliable than a Zippo because you'll quite possibly forget about refilling it. Same goes for some of the other classical models like the Ronson Varaflame I bought. The rubber gaskets are dried out by now. (be aware of this if you ever think of buying one, they can be restored but time or money will have to be spent)

I do miss decent lighters in the lower non-disposable price range. They are usually either big and clumsy or really low quality to the point where a Bic is a better lighter. Or else you have to enter the 50$ range (and don't forget that some people have a tendency to pocket any and all lighters they get in their hands  >:().

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:25:19 AM
It's incredible how many dead lighters you can find on the beach-...

While out for a walk, I often find disposable lighters which contain fuel and still work.  Here are some of them.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 03:07:35 AM
Funny to see this thread. Just today my coworker and I were having this same discussion.  He was complaining about one of those cheap clear lighters because it wasn't working and was still half full of fuel.  I handed him my Bic. 

I'm a Zippo guy a lot of the time but when it comes to disposable lights I only get Bics.  Never had one quit one me and they last a loooong time if you can manage not to lose them.  I've got em stashed all over.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 03:10:51 AM
True, Bics are the best of the disposables.  But I'm a through and through Zippo guy, a small can of fluid and a pack of flints lives in my bag. And no, you can't hold it. I'll light that smoke for you.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 04:03:12 AM
The fuel in a Zippo will evaporate in a week.

I have two Bics that are a decade old and still going.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:08:54 AM
So you refill it. It's part of the ritual of running a classic design. I have no problem with that. You do have to be careful not to overfill, the chemical burns from overflowing fluid can hurt like a sonofabitch.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 04:17:59 AM
The fuel in a Zippo will evaporate in a week.

I have two Bics that are a decade old and still going.

+1!! I love playing with Zippos but they taint a fine cigar and when I was ready for my occasional stogie, they were always dry. Bics are fine and refillable butane lighters work fine too.                                     
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

no Offline Grathr

Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 06:39:10 AM
I dont use lighters that often, but I carry one anyway. I tried to carry a zippo, but it was always out of fuel when I needed it. Instead I got som butane zippo look alikes that work well.
Recently I found this one, that use disposable lighters as cartridges.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 03:42:19 PM
I just like the flame of any lighter :dd: I love my Zippos but I like a Bic lighter as well :D I have bought a few butane torch lighters over the years but seems that they always burn out on me and those were the $20 ones :-\ I may look into that Soto torch you have there Grathr. I like the look of it :tu: I have had most types of lighters fail at one time or another.  Bic and similar have had striker wheels to break and Zippos have either ran out of fluid or flint worn away. I also have some peanut lighter but they have mostly the same pros an cons of zippos ;) I just like fire I guess :D

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 04:32:44 PM
I've had trouble with a couple of butane torches not lighting despite having plenty of gas and producing sparks.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 05:03:33 PM
I've had trouble with a couple of butane torches not lighting despite having plenty of gas and producing sparks.

That has been my experience with butane torch lighters as well :-\

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: March 03, 2016, 05:06:17 PM
emm Zippo evaporation has a fairly easy fix - butane insert

and yes I'm a Zippo lover that currently doesn't carry one for dumb reasons
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 05:07:09 PM
I always have a couple of lighters on me incase one breaks. I've had a turbo flame lighter for a few years now but even that is temperamental. I've been thinking of getting a good peanut lighter for my keys as a backup backup.
Here's my turboflame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

be Offline Wilfried

Reply #20 on: March 03, 2016, 11:14:56 PM
As far as gas lighters are concerned I use BIC and CRICKET only. They never fail me.

When I go outdoors I use my ZIPPO since the place where I live is very windy and gas lighters will not do the job.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 08:01:13 AM
What I hate about BIC, the best disposable lighter out there.
1. When it runs out there is very little warning, it's working, next moment it's not and the best part of the flint is still left.
2. They are not refillable.  Corporate greed I guess.

I used Clipper almost exclusively for the years I smoked cigarettes.

There is a certain kind of dirt-cheap refillable electronic lighter that I always buy when I see them.  I get the impression the leak a little when older, but otherwise one of the more durable lighters I've used.

Djeep is no longer available locally, but seeing that name brought back memories......  :D
There was a certain model Djeep that became my Buck Rodgers ray gun once my dad had emptied it  :rofl:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 09:17:19 AM
Djeep is no longer available locally, but seeing that name brought back memories......  :D
There was a certain model Djeep that became my Buck Rodgers ray gun once my dad had emptied it  :rofl:

:rofl: Gah, I'd totally forgotten that. I did the same thing! :D

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #23 on: March 04, 2016, 05:29:42 PM
I've never really liked products with the word disposable in it. Waste of environment and materials in my opinion.

Zippo, can be used to unfreeze frozen locks, warm up cold hands, has been used for lighting a room, has been used as a small stove, runs on every fluid that can be ignited by a spark. I have even refilled my Zippo at a car fuel station.

Best of all, they last a lifetime and cost 5 Euros used. I keep 5 extra flints under the filt in the lighter case and the refilling one time a week doesnt bother me. It takes 30 seconds and i have the Zippo and fuel canister besides my bed so every Friday before i get out of bed i refill it.

If you have a bit of a prep mindset you have to have a Zippo.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 207.33 KB)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #24 on: March 04, 2016, 05:59:10 PM
Well, before reading the rest of the thread and referring to Aloha's first post, I must say I may disagree. Of course, there might be different brands and so on, but my father's always been a heavy smoker. He's got a low pension and can't afford fancy stuff. So he buys the cheapest possible lighters for 0.25 cents and trust me, they light up about 30-40 cigarettes a day and work for many months on end. He's got a bottle of gas to refill them and hasn't bought a new lighter for probably over a half a year. On the other hand, I'm not a smoker, don't use lighters a lot if not at all, and my BIC failed me after almost no use, it was still half full and just wouldn't strike anymore :think:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 06:17:45 PM
Good thing that Bic failed Nik. You're bad enough with sharp things, I don't want to even think about you and fire...... :ahhh

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: March 04, 2016, 09:41:04 PM
that actually sounds like fun. people, who wants to give NNR a blow torch?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 10:52:24 PM
Good thing that Bic failed Nik. You're bad enough with sharp things, I don't want to even think about you and fire...... :ahhh

:rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

no Offline Grathr

Reply #28 on: March 05, 2016, 06:27:14 AM
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #29 on: March 05, 2016, 07:09:34 AM
 :rofl:

On that note...

« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 08:16:23 AM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00