Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First post and request for advice on one piece tools

fi Offline engblom

This is my first post at this forum and I think I will fit in here as I love to have useful gadgets.

My preference is small and light tools over big and bulky. My Leatherman Wave gets very little love because of the weight and size. Currently I am having either Leatherman Squirt ES4 or Gerber Dime in my pocket. Further I am always carrying a Photon Micro Light and USB-sticks.

Now I am looking into adding a one piece tool as a complement. I am especially interested in having some sort of wrench included in the one piece tool that works well with metric bolts and nuts. I do definitely not need a bottle opener. I have never had use of a such one and it never gets used in my Dime.

What is the most feature packed one piece tool with some kind of wrench (working with metric nuts and bolts)?

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: First post and request for advice on one piece tools
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 10:45:50 AM
Welcome to the forum! :cheers:
I dont know much about one piece tools, but some one who do will probably come along shortly. :)
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 11:05:34 AM
Welcome!
About the only one piece tool that stayed with me (until my son misplaced it, that is...) is the Pocketwrench II. It only features a 1/4 " bit holder, scraping/prying edge and a Multi-size wrench that fits metric bolts and nuts well. Helped me on some adjustments and saved some running around to get a proper tool...
I feel the more functions you implement the more compromises need to be made. Usually teh screwdrivers on any MT/Pocketknife work better than on OPTs, so I don´t mind there are none. And I don´t need a bottle opener on each and every tool, thank you.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 02:52:58 PM
Welcome to the forum :cheers: I only really have ever carried the Gerber Shard and it doesn't seem to fit what you want. Sorry I couldn't be more help :-\ The Pocketwrench that lowtech recommended does look like it is much closer to what you want though :tu:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 03:23:24 PM
Welcome aboard! :multi:

I use a Pocketwrench II or a Leatherman Croc when it comes to OPTs.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 04:01:14 PM
Welcome!

I like this one:

http://www.shapeways.com/product/FCMTW2NCW/mt-o-prybar-tool-3mm?li=search-results-1&optionId=40978952

I have never needed the wrench(es), but I presume it will need some tuning with a file for proper performance. The limitations of current 3D-printing and all that jazz.

fi Offline engblom

Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 05:03:44 PM
Pocketwrench II definitely look interesting....

I also found this very cheap one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDC-Gear-Titanium-Ti-Pocket-Multi-Tool-Key-Clip-Allen-Key-Screwdrive-Wrench-/271840197656
Is anyone having any experience with that one? Comparing with Pocketwrench II, it also got a screwdriver end, which sometimes could be handy.

fi Offline engblom

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 05:22:08 PM
This one also looks interesting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANRENMU-GJ017D-EDC-Mini-Tool-Keychain-Ruler-Wrench-Nail-Puller-Bottle-Opener-/121644335205
Anyone having any experience with this one? I am a bit afraid to buy cheap Chinese tools without some advice.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 11:19:02 AM
Look here about the first one: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,60992.0.html

Sanrenmu makes awesome stuff. I rate their stuff higher than pretty much everything else in China and above lots of stuff in the West.

I rather like my Titanium Punisher tool, myself: http://www.titanium-edc.com/sell-2695962-titanium-tactical-edc-outdoor-multi-tool-screwdriver-crowbar-spanner-bottle-opener-titanium-skull-st.html
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 10:35:38 PM
That first one looks like it just begging for a leg or hand to take a bite out of.

I'm going to be another supporter of the Pocketwrench idea. I've EDCed one for years and it is a great companion to a pliers based tool. I've abused mine pretty hard, you won't break it without a saw or file, but I've had to be assertive to keep it from wandering off with other people. :P
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 01:11:43 AM
Late to the party but I also recommend the PW2.  It's such a compliment to my MT that I never leave it home on workdays.  Great thing is it can be used to drive 1/4 bits as well.  The pry aspect is good tho its a thick hunk of steel so when trying to slip it under tight spaces there may be issues. 

All in all its well worth looking in to.  We've seen knock offs as well tho I don't know how well these work. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 06:31:02 PM
This one also looks interesting: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SANRENMU-GJ017D-EDC-Mini-Tool-Keychain-Ruler-Wrench-Nail-Puller-Bottle-Opener-/121644335205
Anyone having any experience with this one? I am a bit afraid to buy cheap Chinese tools without some advice.

I have it. Bought it a year and a half ago, amongst other SRM tools and knives.

Has proven useful.

Steel is soft, but not bendy (I scratched and chipped it with hard nails and rusted bolts) and can take quite a bit of abuse, more than I initially thought of.

The opening where the bottle opener function is located works well on the common nuts I find in my city (Barcelona, Spain).

The leverage you can apply is not the greatest but the inner holes fit the other nut sizes (rarer ones) very well.

The metric function has come handy a couple times. And the bit driver fits all my Vic Ratchet bits nice and tight.

I think it's among the best Keychain tools, and can pry quite hard for its size.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%