Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How big is this watch

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
How big is this watch
on: March 03, 2016, 12:40:28 PM
So guys... I've been eyeing this Wenger for some time on a local auction site....

It is called Wenger Swiss Titanium 095.0695 and is sold for aroundish 30 Euros.

I kind of like it and it's not really expensive, but I'm rather strapped for cash nowadays and as I only want to own one Swiss Army Watch I really wanted to choose the best possible one.

Could someone with better knowledge explain to me some dumb questions. I couldn't find the exact model on a reputable site and the eBay auctions each state something different):
Is it battery-powered?
Is it for men or women?
What does Titanium mean?
Is it water proof?
Most important how big it is and how you measure it? For example I now carry a G-Shock 315RL which I find to be the perfect size and my Edifice EF550 is close in size too, even if just a tad too big.

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: How big is this watch
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 01:21:58 PM
not a bad looking watch, would be tempted myself. It looks like it's roughly the same size as my "swiss military" and if that photo is indeed the back it does say "water resistant 100m" which imho means it's ok to wear in the shower, bath or maybe even swimming pool but don't go scuba diving with it.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 01:29:39 PM
Look for the word "quartz" on it which means it will need a battery.  I don't see one in the photos but I'm looking at it on my phone so I could miss a lot of details.

It looks like a men's watch to me.  They tend to be thicker and larger by a significant margin- ladies watches are almost always very slim and are usually quite obvious as ladies models.

I agree with Whoey's comment about water resistance and I wouldn't worry about it.  Most watches nowadays will be fine for basic swimming, baths, showers etc.

Titanium could mean it has a titanium case or it could be a series or model name.  For example, a friend of mine just bought a Titanium Ford F-150 and there's no way in hades that a beast like that is titanium. 

Beyond that it looks like a nice watch and that doesn't seem like too bad a price.  I'd say go for it, and if you decide you don't like it let me know and I may take it off your hands at that price.  :)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 04:04:28 PM
Amazon is usually a good source

Here's one like yours, same case style but in stainless w/ stainless band.
37.5mm wide (1.47 inches)

Product Description

swiss quartz movt. accurate to 1/10 of a second per day, 100 meters w/r, luminous hand and easy to read numerals for night time visibility, date display, dualtime(large only)

From the maker of the genuine Swiss Army Knife comes the Wenger Standard Issue men's stainless steel military-style watch, which offers a no-nonsense design and craftsmanship that will last for years. The round watch case measures 37.5mm wide (1.47 inches) and it's topped by a raised bezel with compass-like accents. The easily readable white dial includes a full Arabic numeral display (with smaller inset 24-hour notations), small minute indexes around the exterior, date window at 3 o'clock, and luminous baton hands (with red seconds hand). It's matched with a triple-link stainless steel bracelet band that mixes polished and brushed finishes, and is joined by a diver's buckle with safety clasp. Other features include the classic Swiss Army insignia at 12 o'clock, Swiss quartz movement, a scratch-resistant mineral crystal, and screw-on case back to ensure water-resistance to 100 meters (330 feet)--suitable for a variety of snow and water sports.

http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-70109-Standard-Issue-Bracelet/dp/B000HDHOKO

or.....

It could be this one that is an XL which is slightly larger. (39mm)    :facepalm:
http://www.amazon.com/Wenger-Standard-Issue-Swiss-Watch/dp/B00H0BI388/ref=pd_srecs_cs_241_25?ie=UTF8&dpID=51XryfIoCvL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR170%2C250_&refRID=0FFKC5DYVCGK3RBPJ2GV

Maybe it can be of help.   :tu:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 04:10:11 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 04:50:00 PM
What I found in a quick search: There seem to be (at least) 2 variants. One with Titanium case (hence the Titanium in the name).
soem nice pics here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wenger-standard-titanium-issue-mid-size-095-0695-a-613737.html

The version you pictured seems to have a (nickel?) plated base metal case, as you can see scratches and scuffed areas on the pic of the backside. And usually the caseback reads "All stainless" when the case is ss.

It is a Quartz watch (battery powered) for sure. The size (around 38 mm measured across the case from 9-3 hrs, without the crown) is medium sized, a nice men´s dresswatch unlsee you have huge arms, IMHO. I don´t loke watches over 42mm (Seiko or citizen divers)
The G-Shock will wear bigger as it is much thicker, but the dial size will be comparable, if not a tad bigger on the Wenger.

If you find a nice example, take it. Keep in mind tah tit has somewhat strange 19 mm lugs, but most 20mm straps will fit.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 05:58:26 PM
What I found in a quick search: There seem to be (at least) 2 variants. One with Titanium case (hence the Titanium in the name).
soem nice pics here:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/wenger-standard-titanium-issue-mid-size-095-0695-a-613737.html

The version you pictured seems to have a (nickel?) plated base metal case, as you can see scratches and scuffed areas on the pic of the backside. And usually the caseback reads "All stainless" when the case is ss.

It is a Quartz watch (battery powered) for sure. The size (around 38 mm measured across the case from 9-3 hrs, without the crown) is medium sized, a nice men´s dresswatch unlsee you have huge arms, IMHO. I don´t loke watches over 42mm (Seiko or citizen divers)
The G-Shock will wear bigger as it is much thicker, but the dial size will be comparable, if not a tad bigger on the Wenger.

If you find a nice example, take it. Keep in mind tah tit has somewhat strange 19 mm lugs, but most 20mm straps will fit.
the photos linked from there: http://photowatches.eu/thumbnails.php?album=649  :drool:

If you don't want it, I'll also throw my hand up for it if Grant doesn't take it.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 08:54:58 PM
I guess that confirms that it is a nice watch if folks are already lining up to take it off your hands!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 08:35:25 PM
I will say that I have a Victorinox and a Wenger watch, and they cost the same. Go to your local pawn shops and search for a Victorinox. They are better in my opinion. Pics...
NOTE: the Victorinox was used while the Wenger was brand new.

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 05, 2016, 07:56:13 AM
Yeah I heard that the Vics tend to be better, but it's no help here.

Locally I found about 30 Wenger watches and only 2 Vic watches, the cheapest being well over 100 USD.
Regarding pawnshops... we don't have a pawnshop culture here... people pawn cars or gold jewelry and that's it...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%