Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Edged OPMT - Worth It?

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Edged OPMT - Worth It?
on: November 16, 2016, 09:08:18 PM
Educate me! I've never been sold on having a pry or other functions on knives or edged OPMT. I've seen all the configurations on the 'net (sheathed, chisel grind, etc) and realize that they are useful for light tasks or emergency use. But I'm old school, I've been raised on knife safety where even my butter knife should not point to anyone on the dinner table. Just doesn't seem right to have a pointy or cutty thing in the palm of my hand when prying, screwing (yeah I said it), etc. sheathed or otherwise. Even when the function is on the closed folder or "safe" location you are still introducing some sort of directional torque or pressure on a bladed weapon.
What do you all think? I've never pulled the trigger to purchase one. But who knows? Useful or just a gimmick?

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Edged OPMT - Worth It?
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:17:31 PM
Sort of edged, as in dull, but edged would be handy on the end like to pry something that's snapped together would be great.

But, a sharp as a knife edge wouldn't be good, as you'd have to have some kind of sheath on it, which if you're like me when it comes to the little rubber boot sheaths, as on the KERT, I lose them, often.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2016, 10:25:10 PM
I don't even carry a Gerber Shard as I find that too sharp and pokey for the pocket. There's no way I'd consider one even sharper.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline abcdef

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 10:54:11 PM
Jared Price/Boker Toucan. 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 11:12:45 PM
In a word, nope.

I have quite a few OPT's and I don't get along with most of them.  However, some are decent enough, and of those, some actually have a blade and are ok.  The Raker Ring Tool/ CRKT KERT is a good example of one with a cutter that is good.  The cutter is protected, so you won't (usually) cut yourself or anyone else.

That having been said, someone here a while ago did accidentally slash the webbing handle of their bag with it and have to have it stitched back together.

Other OPT's with blades are just out and out stupid.  The Gatco Swiss Key Tool for example is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen, where it leaves an exposed blade in the exact spot you want to put your thumb when you use the bottle opener.

As I see it, there are two options for an edge on a one piece tool:

1- it is too sharp to be safe
2- it is dull enough to be safe, but useless as a blade

Given those two choices, I will always opt to not bother having an edge on a one piece tool.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 12:13:54 AM
Very definitive.  Thanks.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 12:20:29 AM
No worries. 

There are some really good designers out there that are making some very nice tools, but there are a lot more hacks out there cutting notches in steel and expecting to get top dollar.  It's really frustrating.  I have paid good money for several that are absolutely useless, including a titanium one that has a bottle opener that won't open bottles and a phillips screwdriver that is too soft to turn screws.

::)

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 03:58:49 AM
In a word, nope.

I have quite a few OPT's and I don't get along with most of them.  However, some are decent enough, and of those, some actually have a blade and are ok.  The Raker Ring Tool/ CRKT KERT is a good example of one with a cutter that is good.  The cutter is protected, so you won't (usually) cut yourself or anyone else.

(Image removed from quote.)

That having been said, someone here a while ago did accidentally slash the webbing handle of their bag with it and have to have it stitched back together.

Other OPT's with blades are just out and out stupid.  The Gatco Swiss Key Tool for example is one of the dumbest ideas I have ever seen, where it leaves an exposed blade in the exact spot you want to put your thumb when you use the bottle opener.

(Image removed from quote.)

As I see it, there are two options for an edge on a one piece tool:

1- it is too sharp to be safe
2- it is dull enough to be safe, but useless as a blade

Given those two choices, I will always opt to not bother having an edge on a one piece tool.

Def

In that vein there is also the NexTool Glacial Pegasus. I have one and like it pretty well.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 04:43:59 AM
That looks actually very cool.
So far from what I could tell from the replies having an edged OPMT is a personal choice, and replies I've seen having convinced not pull the trigger. Thank you all!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%