Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you carry your coins?

mrynnr · 60 · 5429

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: How do you carry your coins?
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2016, 12:20:58 PM
I use one of these:

They wear out after a while, so I reinforce the edges with tape.  After a year or two I chuck 'em.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 11, 2016, 04:32:10 AM
I use one of these:
(Image removed from quote.)
They wear out after a while, so I reinforce the edges with tape.  After a year or two I chuck 'em.

What, you don't return it? Even after they say please?

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: March 11, 2016, 04:35:28 AM
I use this porte-monnaie (crappy pic).

It can also hold some paper money in the small pocket. The leather on this one is rather soft, which has pros and cons. Ideally, I'll get me a new one, similar but better, when I have time to go look for one.

I have one like that in my car for parking money. Change I get in coins goes into the coin pouch in my wallet, and I make an effort to use it so I get more notes back rather than more coins. Aussie coin money is ridiculously large and heavy so the less I have in my wallet the better

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #33 on: March 11, 2016, 11:00:31 AM
I use one of these:
I hope you follows the rules - 'No Mixed Coins Please'? and that you return it once finished with?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #34 on: March 13, 2016, 01:27:37 AM
In my wallet, my minimal wallet!

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 02:17:29 PM
I use this porte-monnaie (crappy pic).

It can also hold some paper money in the small pocket. The leather on this one is rather soft, which has pros and cons. Ideally, I'll get me a new one, similar but better, when I have time to go look for one.

I have one like that in my car for parking money. Change I get in coins goes into the coin pouch in my wallet, and I make an effort to use it so I get more notes back rather than more coins. Aussie coin money is ridiculously large and heavy so the less I have in my wallet the better

:tu: I keep my old one in the car for tolls and whatever. It can hold quite some coins and the fact you can see all of them at once is very useful.

I try to get bank notes back too because once a €50 bill is used it's gone no matter how much change you get back; sometimes the bank notes may last a little longer  :D  :facepalm:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #36 on: March 17, 2016, 02:23:23 PM
I try not to carry too many. If I do they just go in the wallet. It's the only one that makes my wallet fat, not paper that's for sure

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #37 on: March 17, 2016, 05:44:03 PM
In my mind coins are "pot money."

No, not the pharmaceutical kind of pot- I have an old aluminum pot that I throw all my change in.  When it gets full I will splurge on something fun.  Any change I get I put in my front right pocket and when I get home it gets tossed into the pot.  Hence the term "pot money."

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 03:37:48 AM
I really don't. I have a two bicentennial quarters in my wallet, for the ferryman (oversized and dangerous cargo surcharge). Part of a roll of quarters in my pack with the wrapper reinforced with duct tape. Any change I acquire goes in my pocket loose until I get to the car and throw it in the cup holder; any non-bicentennial quarters are for laundry, everything else goes into a peanut butter jar on my desk until full then they are sorted and wrapped and taken to the bank. Laundry day change is in a repurposed pill bottle.

I hate the clanking.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #39 on: March 21, 2016, 03:01:50 PM
In my mind coins are "pot money."

No, not the pharmaceutical kind of pot- I have an old aluminum pot that I throw all my change in.  When it gets full I will splurge on something fun.  Any change I get I put in my front right pocket and when I get home it gets tossed into the pot.  Hence the term "pot money."

Def

My change goes into a "pot money" fund as well........  :whistle:

Just kidding. I have a cigar box I throw my change in. I know when its full its normally $65.00. When full I go through every coin and check for dates I need for the collection. After that I separate all the pennies. The Pre-1982 go into the copper penny (large) jar. 1982's specifically go into their own jar as there is 6 or 8 different 1982's. Then 1983 and on go into the 5 gallon water jug which I am trying to eventually fill to the top. Its maybe 40% full right now and weighs probably 80lbs. I had another $50.00 in pennies in there, but changed them in for cash years ago. It would be much closer to full now if I had not done that. I still have a bathroom (small-ish) garbage can FULL of pennies to go trough.

I usually save up like you and buy something I want. One time I decided I wanted to buy a new gun in just change. Only took me about 10 months and I bought a new pistol.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 03:03:28 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #40 on: April 07, 2016, 09:51:10 PM
How do I carry my coins?...hmmm :think: Good question! I always use my debit card for purchases so I seldom carry any paper money or coins in my pockets but when I come across few coins, I usually get rid of them at any convenience store.
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 12:32:20 AM

Have carried this style (my second) for at least 25 years.
My grandson found one on the floor in the grocery a couple winters ago and had to call me that he found my coin holder, but it wasn't mine. 

*via Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:06:21 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #42 on: June 03, 2016, 10:54:50 PM
Missed this thread when it was still fresh but I think it deserves a :bump:

I've been carrying this small faux leather pouch for years now, made it myself in under 5 minutes. Love it and once it falls apart or I lose it, I'm making another one. :D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #43 on: June 06, 2016, 03:41:10 PM
My grandson found one on the floor in the grocery a couple winters ago and had to call me that he found my coin holder, but it wasn't mine. 

*via Tapatalk
Got one for my birthday recently - very impressed. Simple but effective:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #44 on: June 06, 2016, 04:46:33 PM

*via Tapatalk

Thought yours look newer than mine. 

I get several, "that's neat" or "wow, were did you find that?", from the young folk behind the counter at fast food joints. 

I do not have a yellow SAK though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #45 on: June 06, 2016, 06:26:00 PM

*via Tapatalk

Thought yours look newer than mine. 

I get several, "that's neat" or "wow, were did you find that?", from the young folk behind the counter at fast food joints. 

I do not have a yellow SAK though. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Having a yellow SAK is not always good.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #46 on: July 06, 2016, 10:52:57 PM
I carry my money in a money clip, not my wallet and change goes in the  pocket with the money clip.  When I get home the change goes into an organizer on my dresser and when that is full it goes into a zippered change purse.  I don't carry the change purse often because it's heavy, but when I'm making the rounds of thrift stores and garage sales I carry the change purse because I can buy cheap stuff and not end up with even more change.
P1110119.JPG
* P1110119.JPG (Filesize: 204.42 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: July 06, 2016, 11:12:12 PM
I usually just toss it into a container at home or into my car or vehicle, I don't typically carry it for long.

But, when I do, I leave it in my pocket with my SAK in the hopes it will give my Alox knife an aged look, damn those things are resilient  ;)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 12:05:41 AM
I've been carrying one of those leather coinholders for about 25 years as well.  This particular one I've probably had 15 years.

- Terry

england Offline Kev D

Reply #49 on: July 11, 2016, 10:49:57 AM
I normally have it rolling around in my pocket, then put the silver into a holiday piggy bank when I get home and coppers into a tub that gets raided by my niece for her pennies.

In my car I have a fluffy pinky purple pencil case I 'borrowed' off my niece for keeping parking change in. Though since I got my disabled badge in 2012 I get free parking most places  :tu: so it's more costa coffee change nowadays  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 11:57:21 AM
Just carry my change in my front left pocket.  When I get home any 'copper' coins go in a large jar and any £2 coins go in a piggy bank.  £2 coins still don't seem to be that common in change so it's a good way to slowly save up but you end up with quite a bit of money when the bank is full.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #51 on: July 11, 2016, 12:34:18 PM
I carry this small bag in the backpocket, where the coins ride.
The lower value coins are magnetic and get clumped together to a 6 magnet bar I carry inside, in case I just want larger coins (parkings, vending machines) and not small smurfty cash.

Just flip the bag and hold the magnet while still inside, and only 10 cent or bigger coins will fall.

Magnets serve other purposes, too. I once took out a metal shard inserted inside my pinky with them, they're so powerful (they are neodymium and not magnetite)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: July 17, 2016, 11:24:37 AM
I carry this small bag in the backpocket, where the coins ride.
The lower value coins are magnetic and get clumped together to a 6 magnet bar I carry inside, in case I just want larger coins (parkings, vending machines) and not small smurfty cash.

Just flip the bag and hold the magnet while still inside, and only 10 cent or bigger coins will fall.

Magnets serve other purposes, too. I once took out a metal shard inserted inside my pinky with them, they're so powerful (they are neodymium and not magnetite)
Nice idea with the magnets
Weasel

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #53 on: September 22, 2016, 09:48:56 PM
Europeans need larger coin storage then Americans as we don't have small denomination notes (smallest is £5 or €5 etc.), and quite heavy £/€1 and £/€ coins... My main leather wallet has a reasonably larger coin compartment with a flap, so I use that, though my wallet is too chunky to fit easily in a trouser pocket
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #54 on: September 22, 2016, 10:06:56 PM
Europeans need larger coin storage then Americans

That's an understatement.  Most Americans today don't carry coins at all.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 10:08:33 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: September 23, 2016, 08:32:06 AM
Europeans need larger coin storage then Americans

That's an understatement.  Most Americans today don't carry coins at all.
Last time I was in the US, you always had to pay with quarters for public transportation and I think for toll too (if you are not a regular with RFID/whatever card)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #56 on: September 23, 2016, 09:39:18 AM
In my wallet.
i used to use a separate coin wallet long ago.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #57 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:04 AM
Coins are a PITA (literally). They're uncomfortable to sit on, scratch up your phone and knife and set off airport scanners - grrr.

I rarely leave home with coins in my pocket. If I return home with coins, anything other than £1 coins get sorted into jars. We have a jar for coppers, a jar for silver and I have a Maxpedition Roly Poly for £2 coins :D

I used to come here a lot.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: September 23, 2016, 12:04:27 PM
I for one quite like the 2€/£ coins, they are actually worth something. Most of the smaller coins are just unnecessary bulk though. Imagine my feeling when they are introducing another coin here, the 2kr (~0.20 €).  :facepalm:

To make matters worse the new coins we're getting are really boring. While the UK has the collect the coins and build the country coat of arms, the Euro makes coins for all the different countries and the US have the State quarters the new Swedish Krona coins will be based on a '72 pop-song about the weather...  :facepalm: :facepalm:

As for how I carry coins, the few times I do (most payments are with card these days) they go with my silver Dollar in the coin pocket of my jeans.

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #59 on: September 23, 2016, 10:24:14 PM
I for one quite like the 2€/£ coins, they are actually worth something. Most of the smaller coins are just unnecessary bulk though. Imagine my feeling when they are introducing another coin here, the 2kr (~0.20 €).  :facepalm:

To make matters worse the new coins we're getting are really boring. While the UK has the collect the coins and build the country coat of arms, the Euro makes coins for all the different countries and the US have the State quarters the new Swedish Krona coins will be based on a '72 pop-song about the weather...  :facepalm: :facepalm:

As for how I carry coins, the few times I do (most payments are with card these days) they go with my silver Dollar in the coin pocket of my jeans.

I actually collect coins on the side, but only certain rare old (as in pre-WWII) ones as you say, most of the modern coins are dreadful. The USA actually has very nice (modern and old) coinage, their state quarters programme is a really nice idea, and the classic designs of the regular coins are really nice and the coins not too big.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:25:28 PM by Oxford_Guy »
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%