Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Keychain pen

fi Offline engblom

Keychain pen
on: March 11, 2016, 03:50:23 PM
I am looking for suggestions for a pen to keep in my keychain. I want it to be as small and light as possible and most of all, well working. So something not drying too easily. It would not be something I would use daily (I would keep a normal pen in my pocket if I would use it daily), but something I can use when a sudden need comes.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Keychain pen
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 04:41:58 PM
Victorinox Signature, Manager, or Minichamp.    :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 05:27:43 PM
Or try the True Utility Stylus pen. Got one, works great! Lost the stylus part, the material got torn. Will make a new tip in leather to replace it.

Good for writing and working touch screens. They have a pen-only version, Tele Pen.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:28:50 PM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 06:04:44 PM
I have an inka, neat little pen, nice thing is it converts into a full size. But if your worried about drying out ink there's a ink less pen, I forget the name on it but it's small and uses no ink to write..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:38:35 AM
Both true utility-models have spent more than a year on my two keychains now. Daily use as I am a confessing teacher with lots of need to do a quick scribble, signature or entry into the classbook. The black model is better to hold, the silver one is lighter and smaller. Both come in a useless little plastic...erm...thingy which is supposed to protect things from water (dispose of that smörf asap), and also in the package is a couple of spare refills.
Great little pens!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 12:41:42 AM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 12:42:31 AM
The Fisher Space Pen disappears in the bottom of the pocket, and turns into a "real" pen when you need it.  And, it is guaranteed to work on your next trip to Neptune.

Offline jday2727

Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 03:06:28 AM
I have an inka, neat little pen, nice thing is it converts into a full size. But if your worried about drying out ink there's a ink less pen, I forget the name on it but it's small and uses no ink to write..
JR
A pencil?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 03:47:35 AM
JR
A pencil?
Lol, no, it's a solid metal pen, it writes just like a pen but has no ink, what it leaves on paper does not smudge, it's very unique!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

fi Offline engblom

Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 07:34:23 PM
Thanks, I went with True Utility pen...

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 09:56:49 AM
Yet another choice would have been the TEC Accessories PicoPen

http://www.tecaccessories.com/PicoPen

I won one in an GAW last year and I have to say it works pretty good :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

00 Offline matty78943

Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 06:28:25 PM
I just have a minichamp so you have a pen and well... all of this  :climber:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 03:26:29 AM
JR
A pencil?
Lol, no, it's a solid metal pen, it writes just like a pen but has no ink, what it leaves on paper does not smudge, it's very unique!
JR

http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/AX31039/axel-weinbrecht-beta-inkless-metal-keyring-pen

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 03:27:12 PM
The Fisher Space Pen disappears in the bottom of the pocket, and turns into a "real" pen when you need it.  And, it is guaranteed to work on your next trip to Neptune.

The Fisher Space Pen ink is a messy stuff. I hate it.
Better get a BIC pen. Always work.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 03:33:36 PM

The Fisher Space Pen ink is a messy stuff. I hate it.
Better get a BIC pen. Always work.

Interesting, I've had no problems what so ever with it. Might be that I'm using the thin blue? Thinner line -> less mess.

Offline shecky

Reply #15 on: June 11, 2016, 11:06:17 PM
https://www.tecaccessories.com/PDF/KeychainPensReview.pdf

Heh... that guy certainly put... a whole lot of effort and research... into that document.

A few years back, I was on the quest for a keychain pen. I tried a couple, but was unsatisfied in one way or another. Including the "inkless" pen (more of a pencil type implement, IMO), which sadly fell short.

Turns out my best solution was the cheapest, DIY solution. A BIC pen, the type often printed with logos and such, given away free. I pulled the tip/ink out of the outer tube, cut the tube from the closed end to desired length. Then cut the tip/ink part in length such that the ink tube fits inside the outer tube. Put it together, and  you'll have a working, shortened pen. Then drill a hole on the closed end of the cap. I used the holes to thread a split ring through. Now you have a working, reliable keychain pen, made from a pen you may already have around the house. I've had my current pen for a couple years now, where it gets occasional use. Always works. Never leaked. Uncapped, it's about 3" long.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 01:52:02 AM
JR

I couldn't give that horrid thing away.  Maybe it's fine of you suddenly feel the need to write a novel while you are away from a desk, and have yet to discover things like computers, but for making quick notes in a notebook it was worse than.... well, Zoid will ban me if I finish that sentence.  Suffice it to say it's not very flattering.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 06:09:44 AM
Another fan of the Fisher bullet space pen :cheers:

I love my chrome one so much that I went ahead and bought a black one as well :tu:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 01:53:51 PM
Remembered that  :worthless:

so here's the pic of the Pico Pen :D

"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 04:17:27 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:

How does it write?

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 03:46:54 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

:tu:

How does it write?

It's quite good actually... nice black ink, doesn't smudge, of course it's a little short for the shovels I have for hands but it works just fine if you have to take a quick note :tu:
"Hoarder of weirdness,

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #21 on: November 12, 2022, 09:17:52 PM
There's a crowdfunding campaign for the < foreverpen > (made out of some silver compound, oh please doht google/youtube it, it's an overpriced item :facepalm: ), and I'm thinking that all we need is the tip which doesn't have to be "forever" (but is allowed to break/crack if abused) and we drill/dremel our own keychain hole, e.g. AX item [1005003510792778]:

10pcs cost like 2$ shipped from AX, or 7€ shipped from amazon.
Sometimes i doht have my phone with me (for taking notes) or really prefer to write a lil note on a piece of paper (receipt, label, or similar), and i miss a keychain pen since i had retired my vinox MiniChamp.

Does anyone have some experience with these low budget "forever tips" (afaik they're not made out of silver or graphite but a CN metal alloy)? The www search term is <inkless pen>. I could order&return the amazon.de ASIN [B098T7S4LR] (and imho i should, in order to prevent disappointment after 1-2 months of delivery time) but I am about to pull the trigger on the AX 2$ haha
(EDIT: i've placed the AX order. Estimated delivery date Jan 13th lol.  :mail: ).

In customer reviews, buyers claim that each copy might perform differently, either produces acceptable strokes/lines or too light lines, and that they're good for writing but not good for drawing because the tip is too hard/scratchy. Also, the stuff doesn't smudge/smear (as a graphite tip would), still can be erased with a normal eraser. Sounds intriguing to me, for carrying on the keychain.

And the tip is said to write on pretty much any surface (wood, wall, stone, metal, plastic, card, board, etc), not only paper. Possibly under water too.
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 09:44:42 PM by kreisler »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 06:15:45 AM
Fisher Space Pen rides in my wallet everyday.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 08:52:13 PM
Likewise. I've broken most of the others. The TrueUtility telescoping ones were the absolute worst, giving me maybe 2 or 3 uses before failure. 

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 09:01:48 PM
10pcs cost like 2$ shipped from AX, or 7€ shipped from amazon.
the amzn price has increased to 8€, now it's at 9€, interesting:

Not sure when i'll receive the AX package from China, FREE tracking is working tho.
Btw i was interested in the TrueUtility telescoping one too, thanks for the feedback!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 29, 2022, 03:02:29 AM
Yes, I’ve lost a few, used some refills over the years, and tried different options, but always come back to the Fisher.

They do offer several models with key rings…

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 01:47:29 PM
ordered: 2023-02-06 paypal, us$ direct, no pp fees
shipped: 2023-02-07 (0.51$ shipping for AliExpress Saver Shipping)
tracking number: yes, UR123456789DE
alix estimated: 2023-03-08
kreisl expected: 2023-03-08
received: 2023-02-16
import duties trouble: none
I reordered the AX item (10pcs set), this time with paid shipping called AliExpress Saver Shipping, and got the stuff fast. The black alloy pen tips seem durable enough and i like their writing performance. The drilling mod was simple enough:

Unnoticeable addition to my keychain setup, loving it:

Of course these tips are not typical metal. Drilling the black alloy doesn't produce 4002 shavings but powder. The material is friable but should hold up really well in this hanging man configuration. So far, highly recommended. 10pcs set for 2.71$ shipped, a steal!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: February 21, 2023, 12:42:19 PM
Nice find and great idea, kreisler 8) :like:

de Offline kreisler

• they called me a poser
Reply #28 on: February 22, 2023, 05:38:54 PM
Thanks @Poncho65  :salute:
As i detailed on the geman folum, the black alloy may or may not rub off onto your white pants white office shirt white fingas.
The best reversible mod is to coat the alloy with transparent nail polish. I applied a layer of "MAX&MORE NAIL Care 'TOP COAT'" from a budget set of nail polish (3x5ml made in PRC). So just the very tip is bare/exposed, ready for writing.

If one doesn't have nail polish in the household, one could use clear glue instead. Once dry and hard, either substance could be removed with acetone. The difference being, nail polish is easier to apply and looks 4137x more beautiful than dried glue.
 :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD