Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your favorite small sized multitool

engblom · 73 · 20655

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: Your favorite small sized multitool
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2016, 01:49:53 AM
Gerber Dime
- Bad design. The stupid bottle opener makes the already too short file almost impossible to use. Why not putting the files on the box opener sides and also remove the not necessary bottle opener?
Gotta defend the Dime (BO) here. The BO IMHO is one of the best of all the multitools and certainly is not stupid!!
If you need to use the file just open the tool up.  ;)  :think:
However the file is pretty rubbish, as it's too small (as you say), and I think the file pattern is not that great.
But I do like the Dime (very cool looking) and I keep one in my desk drawer. Although looks never trump functionality  :o

These 'What is your favourite?...' questions are always so hard to respond to.
All my favourites have already been mentioned.

Re Scissors - I think the Vic 58mm scissors outperform all the others, except perhaps the Micra, I am less familiar with its scissors.
I rarely need pliers EDC and the Dime/PSx are all a bit big/fat for keychain carry for me.

So I will go with a Vic 58mm - But which one?
My most carried is a Swiss Lite (light and one slot for tp/tw) or Signature Lite (light/pen)  as these are on key bunches. Also carry the Classic sometimes. But I really should upgrade all these to a Rambler/Manager.

The problem I have is I love, and want to EDC, the light, the pen and the toothpick (tweezers less important, but still handy) - and there are only two slots  :rant:

So this requirement is usually sorted by carrying another SAK

Also a big thumbs up to the Utilikey - This always goes with me when I fly as it will get through airport security.

Talking of larger SAKs - The question to which I responded was: 'What is your favourite key chain multitool?'  ???
- So to answer the actual question I think I will respond:
Wenger Evo 13: Blade, Scissors, openers, tp, tw, nail file - all in a very nice package - Brilliant  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 01:52:45 AM by Huntsman »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #31 on: July 18, 2016, 02:46:54 PM
To answer your question, yes, Micra scissors have no rival

I wholeheartedly recommend trying one as an EDC tool!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Joseph Gonzalez

Reply #32 on: August 03, 2016, 02:19:36 AM
My vote goes to the Leatherman PS4. I was able to find one with the torx screws and carry it on a daily basis. I've got a Victorinox Pioneer X that will probably join it and my Spyderco Ambitious in my EDC kit.
Regards,

Joe Gonzalez

"Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day; set him on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life."

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #33 on: August 03, 2016, 02:26:03 AM
Style CS
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 02:36:19 AM
Easy this one - my Raker Ring Tool.

I only use it for prying, tightening camera quick-release plates and opening packets, but its probably my most used tool.

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline mrog

Reply #35 on: August 31, 2016, 03:42:05 AM
Victorinox Rambler > Any other 58mm Victorinox > Leatherman Micra > Leatherman Squirt PS4 > Leatherman Style PS > Any other small Leatherman >>>>> Gerber Dime
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: September 01, 2016, 05:38:45 PM
Victorinox Rambler > Any other 58mm Victorinox > Leatherman Micra > Leatherman Squirt PS4 > Leatherman Style PS > Any other small Leatherman >>>>> Gerber Dime

I don't agree with all those, in that particular order, but yeah

the Rambler's awesome

A neat tool for its size, maybe the champion of the 58mm line!  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline RR1551

Reply #37 on: June 15, 2018, 10:47:18 PM
A custom SAK:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #38 on: June 17, 2018, 10:20:01 AM
LM Squirt PS4.  I modded it to remove the file and replaced it with the awl and small eye-glass driver from the older PS range.  If I want to go bladeless (or end up carrying a dedicated blade...  :whistle: ) I can swap the blade for the file (not done it yet, so need to check nail nicks).  Added into my pocket sheath is a Thrunite Ti3, a pen, and a generic small pry bar tool, and I'm ready to go!   :)

I also have a black Vic Classic on my keychain, which I've had over 20 years --- but only recently is it a regular on the keychain.  At office keys stay in my bag, as we have electronic swipe cards for doors, but the Squirt kit stays in my pocket.

id Offline Ayik goyep

• Working class on CFPP 2x25 MW
Reply #39 on: June 23, 2018, 07:07:01 PM
My favorite keychain..
That everyday iam bring to my workplace...
On power station
2018-06-24 01.05.04.jpg
* 2018-06-24 01.05.04.jpg (Filesize: 143.15 KB)

id Offline Ayik goyep

• Working class on CFPP 2x25 MW
Reply #40 on: June 28, 2018, 07:39:38 AM
My favorite keychain..
On power station

That is my revision for my keychain, all stuf are handmade or DIY, except my SAK, USB and a cigarete, consists of :

1. Keychain duct tape (DIY)
2. USB 8 gb
3. SAK
4. Utility cutter razor (DIY)
5. Cigarrete
6. lighter (DIY)
7. key chain suspension clip (DIY)

Best regrads
2018-06-28 13.18.14.jpg
* 2018-06-28 13.18.14.jpg (Filesize: 160.57 KB)

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 18, 2018, 12:19:07 AM
Talking of larger SAKs - The question to which I responded was: 'What is your favourite key chain multitool?'  ???
Wenger Evo 13: Blade, Scissors, openers, tp, tw, nail file - all in a very nice package - Brilliant  :tu:

Wenger Evo 13 is 85 mm full sak. It is not a keychain tool.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 18, 2018, 10:39:53 AM
My vote goes to the Leatherman Micra. I've lost more of those than I like to think about.  Oh no, now I'm thinking about it  :ahhh
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: August 18, 2018, 01:07:28 PM
in the months (years?) since I first responded to this thread,
I've grown very fond of the Squirt S4 over the Micra  :angel:

My toys:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #44 on: August 18, 2018, 03:53:52 PM
These days a LM Squirt P4 is my only EDC tool.  It is small enough that I don't notice it in my pocket, but when I need it it's ready & waiting for whatever light duty tasks I want to do..
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: August 18, 2018, 04:06:52 PM
These days a LM Squirt P4 is my only EDC tool.  It is small enough that I don't notice it in my pocket, but when I need it it's ready & waiting for whatever light duty tasks I want to do..

I'm with you gregozedobe but I have to also carry my Manager.  The scissors and pen are so handy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 31, 2018, 11:27:26 PM
I love my minichamp. It's on the keyring to my jeep, so it's usually with me. However, I think the scissors on the Schrade DL-2 are better. They're springless, they have a slimmer profile, and they're sharp as blazes. They're much better at trimming fingernails, at least. The Minichamp is no slouch, but the DL-2 scissors are just better.  I do also really like the scales on the DL-2, they're really deep and glossy. With a blade, a nail file, and scissors it's like a Victorinox SD... but even smaller!

I don't really EDC my DL-2s, as I'm collecting tool and auto/moto related advertising on SD-sized knives. But if I had call to use a Victorinox SD.... I'd get a Schrade DL-2 instead.

The Texaco and Snap-On are Schrade DL-2's. The Michelin is a Victorinox SD, for size comparison

Charles.
IMG_4666.jpg
* IMG_4666.jpg (Filesize: 154.05 KB)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #47 on: September 01, 2018, 12:40:15 AM
Victorinox Rambler/Manager

Second place goes to the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest/Evo 88, and it would win outright if it had the Phillips combo tool and the SD file from the Rambler

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: September 02, 2018, 01:34:15 AM
Just curious, what do you like so much about the SD file on the Rambler?
You could probably mod the one on a PTC to be similar in shape :think:

I'm also a big fan of the combo phillips :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #49 on: September 02, 2018, 02:08:08 AM
Just curious, what do you like so much about the SD file on the Rambler?
You could probably mod the one on a PTC to be similar in shape :think:

I'm also a big fan of the combo phillips :tu:

The combo tool on the PTC does the job of the SD file tip, but if you swapped the combo tool to the Phillips type, you'd need a SD tip on the file to replace that function.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: September 02, 2018, 03:29:15 AM
Check this little thing out. I got two of these little guys in a big lot of multi tools. It’s branded PokeTech, is made in Taiwan, and is labeled US PAT No. Des 414092. Interesting enough, the pliers are the part that is patented. The tool load is not included in the patent.

The pliers themselves are VERY similar to victorinox 91mm pliers. Just a hair larger and a hair thinner. The tool load reminds me of Vintage Coast multi tools. The opener in particular is a Coast design.  The file is heat treated and quite nice, it’s a dull finish not stainless like the rest. The main blade is sharp enough to cut paper, and the serrated blade goes through paracord quite nicely. All the drivers are decent, slightly rounded corners on some but not bad at all. Some are machined after polishing and have sharp corners. The lanyard loop is redundant but everything else is useful and works well - even the 2D Phillips driver.

The pliers take a lot more force than victorinox pliers, due to the form factor obviously. They do deflect at the tips a little easier though. The teeth are well formed and grippy enough for the size. This is a super small, and yet super useful little tool. I like it!

Charles.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 03:40:58 AM by ChopperCharles »

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: September 06, 2018, 03:43:35 AM
Interesting tool.  Looks like it has two bottle openers too.
- Steve

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: September 06, 2018, 04:11:19 PM
No, just one bottle opener -- actually one combo bottle/can opener. The other small bottle opener looking thing is just a nail nick, and is on the small flat driver and lanyard loop. It's just a nail lift for the center tool, it's far, FAR too small to be a bottle opener. It's hard to get the scale of a thing in a pic, but this tool is TINY. The pliers are the same size as Victorinox 91mm pliers, so the tools are far smaller than SAK tools.

Charles.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #53 on: September 11, 2018, 07:02:21 PM
My favorite keychain..
On power station

That is my revision for my keychain, all stuf are handmade or DIY, except my SAK, USB and a cigarete, consists of :

1. Keychain duct tape (DIY)
2. USB 8 gb
3. SAK
4. Utility cutter razor (DIY)
5. Cigarrete
6. lighter (DIY)
7. key chain suspension clip (DIY)

Best regrads

Very good, Ayik! That SAK seems to have had lots of use.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 05:07:50 PM

The OP question is  .........  "What is your favourite small sized multitool"
And this is the question to which I responded  ...... The Wenger S13  :pok:

Would you disagree that it is a small sized mutitool?

However most people responded to this question with a key chain tool

I never said the S13 was a key chain tool 
However .... Who is to say you could not put an 85mm SAK on a keychain     :think:    Some people do !!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: September 26, 2018, 01:16:04 PM

The OP question is  .........  "What is your favourite small sized multitool"
And this is the question to which I responded  ...... The Wenger S13  :pok:

Would you disagree that it is a small sized mutitool?

However most people responded to this question with a key chain tool

I never said the S13 was a key chain tool 
However .... Who is to say you could not put an 85mm SAK on a keychain     :think:    Some people do !!

You can also attach a truck to a keychain... :D

Offline Joris Debaere

• New User
Reply #56 on: October 27, 2018, 06:15:30 AM
i'm in love with my swisstool spirit.  :multi:

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #57 on: November 01, 2018, 04:29:21 PM
I know a friend who carries a Kershaw Chive on his keys. To me, I don't see the point in anything bigger than a Classic or Ladybug on someone's keys. Maybe an Executive at the biggest.   I have a 4" County Comm bar, which many carry on their keys, but for me, it's separate, down with the pliers in the right front pocket.

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: May 15, 2019, 11:38:44 PM
Check this little thing out. I got two of these little guys in a big lot of multi tools. It’s branded PokeTech, is made in Taiwan, and is labeled US PAT No. Des 414092. Interesting enough, the pliers are the part that is patented. The tool load is not included in the patent.

The pliers themselves are VERY similar to victorinox 91mm pliers. Just a hair larger and a hair thinner. The tool load reminds me of Vintage Coast multi tools. The opener in particular is a Coast design.  The file is heat treated and quite nice, it’s a dull finish not stainless like the rest. The main blade is sharp enough to cut paper, and the serrated blade goes through paracord quite nicely. All the drivers are decent, slightly rounded corners on some but not bad at all. Some are machined after polishing and have sharp corners. The lanyard loop is redundant but everything else is useful and works well - even the 2D Phillips driver.

The pliers take a lot more force than victorinox pliers, due to the form factor obviously. They do deflect at the tips a little easier though. The teeth are well formed and grippy enough for the size. This is a super small, and yet super useful little tool. I like it!

Charles.

Update: I found more information. The Pocket Tech (not PokeTech, apparently the single T is meant to be printed twice in literature) tool is made by, or at least imported by, Stanley. "Pocket Tech" may or may not be a stanley designation. If you search eBay for "stanley max edge mini multi tool", you'll find several examples for sale. The tool was made in the late 90s. The patent was granted in 1998, but it was obviously sold while the patent was still pending.

Mine is apparently an early version, because it does not have the "US Patent No 6038735" imprint, only the "US Pat No Des 414092". The stanley-branded models have both. Not sure what the "Des" refers to.

It was also available in a gift set with a maglite solitare.

https://www.adsources.com/brands/stanley/tapemsr1.htm

Charles.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:52:55 PM by ChopperCharles »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: May 16, 2019, 08:06:10 AM
Des stands for US Design Patent (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_patent), which is legal protection for an ornamental design of a functional item.
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24