Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your favorite small sized multitool

engblom · 73 · 20659

us Offline ChopperCharles

• No Life Club
Re: Your favorite small sized multitool
Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 04:55:27 PM
Also, the stanley branded tools appear to have less polishing. The teeth on the jaws are more sharply defined, and my tool doesn't have the text on the phillips driver.

Charles.

Offline bryan123

Reply #61 on: January 11, 2023, 02:50:37 PM
I've tried a lot of them and my favorites are

1.  Micra, the keychain multitool that has stood the test of time
2.  SAK Classic SD paired with a Nite Ize  Doohickey.

The SAK Doohickey pairing has similar functionality to the Micra more or less, and weighs less.

us Offline charlie fox

Reply #62 on: January 11, 2023, 03:00:22 PM
Probably going to catch some hate but as much as I love SAKs, they wouldn't be my first choice in a small tool. That honor (or horror) would go to my Gerber Dime. Sure it's not the best or the prettiest, but it has all the tools I might need during the day and I don't mind abusing it a little. Both of mine have many miles on them and refuse to give up. To paraphrase Dirty Harry; a tool's got to know it's limitations. I know the Dime's and still carry it ;)
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 11, 2023, 10:40:02 PM
Probably going to catch some hate but as much as I love SAKs, they wouldn't be my first choice in a small tool. That honor (or horror) would go to my Gerber Dime. Sure it's not the best or the prettiest, but it has all the tools I might need during the day and I don't mind abusing it a little. Both of mine have many miles on them and refuse to give up. To paraphrase Dirty Harry; a tool's got to know it's limitations. I know the Dime's and still carry it ;)

:iagree:
I actually carry a Rambler but used to carry a Dime and always liked it too....think we're in the minority though Charlie
 :cheers:

fi Offline Blunt Object

Reply #64 on: January 13, 2024, 10:13:24 PM
Before there was much to choose from, I always had a small pen knife as my keyring tool. Then when the markets opened up (that is, when we started to have quality imports from US of A), I had a FRN-handled Dragonfly as my key fob. Anything smaller would feel like waste of space, if it only had the blade and nothing else.

The first real tool was the Micra for years and years. It is still very adequate, but I rotate, because I can! Then Squirt PS4, after which it has been SAKs, now I'm kinda stuck with the Alox Mini Champ, because it is such a marvel of miniature engineering. I tried going with Rambler, but I'm an Alox man through and through, and there's still no Alox Rambler (Victorinox, you listening?)

With a light and SAK my keyring is maxed out, all the rest of my tools will be in my bag, except my EDC knife.

So, short answer: Mini Champ and close second Micra.
Spydies and Vics and Leathermans, Oh My!

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: January 14, 2024, 01:24:33 AM
…there's still no Alox Rambler (Victorinox, you listening?)
I agree an Alox Rambler might be the ideal key chain tool.

Some Alox Ramblers were in fact produced as SFOs in fairly small quantities about ten years ago, but they are difficult to find now.  Why it isn’t part of the standard lineup, I’m sure I don’t know.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 15, 2024, 02:11:58 PM
Yeah Nate

Even better idea? 
...... Now we have all the other Classic colours (Alox and cellidor) to choose from ..... the Annual Alox LE small model should be Rambler

How good would that be ?   ???    :think:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: January 16, 2024, 02:35:36 AM
the Annual Alox LE small model should be Rambler

How good would that be ?   ???    :think:
Well, I’d probably have to get a lifetime supply the first year (even if I didn’t love the color), just in case Vic decided not to make it an annual thing…

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 17, 2024, 01:27:35 AM
LM Squirt P4--everything the PST has, in something that doesn't weigh a whole heckuva lot.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #69 on: January 17, 2024, 06:57:16 PM
 :iagree:  Squirt is a heck of a small powerhouse. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: January 18, 2024, 01:00:45 AM
LM Squirt P4--everything the PST has, in something that doesn't weigh a whole heckuva lot.
Squirt is a heck of a small powerhouse.

I am glad they work well for you guys.

I was initially excited about them, as they are a very pocketable size, have some useful functions, and are better quality than most of their competitors.

However, I broke the pivot on a Squirt cutting the end off a pin.  I suppose it is probably my fault for pushing it outside its capabilities.  It’s also possible I just got a rare lemon.  Regardless, I lost confidence in the tool at that point, and no longer carry them.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: January 18, 2024, 07:33:17 PM
I can fully understand that. The scissor spring was also faulty for many users on the PS4s.  So far the PS4s I have are all in tact. 

I went from carrying a full size MT on my off days to a Squirt and never looked back.  I did have a quick romance with a Gerber Dime but that fizzled.   :D 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: January 21, 2024, 10:28:28 AM
 :iagree:

Although it's been on and off with a MiniChamp, lately it's my recently acquired*) Squirt Ps4 which sits in my 5th pocket.

*) I was lucky as they were still selling off old Squirt stock on the German LM site last year. Now that the sites have apparently been unified, Squirts are no longer available even here. Funny thing - and this goes to show I'm not getting any younger - I shortly thereafter found the other Squirt I knew I had owned but thought I'd either sold or lost... :facepalm:

* 021202495920.jpg (Filesize: 272.69 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24