Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lansky sharpening system users.......

Aloha · 61 · 5753

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Lansky sharpening system users.......
on: March 14, 2016, 03:33:32 AM
I love my Lansky sharpening system.  I've turned somewhat sharp knifes into extremely sharp knives.  I've re beveled some edges that were badly done and pretty rough with varying grind angles throughout the edge.  I also have a Spyderco system that is nice but for me as of this moment I like my Lansky as it does all that I need. 

If I ever get the spare cash and get more knives I'd seriously consider the Edge Pro.  I'd also probably get some whet stones just because why the heck not.  This is probably for another post so back to my Lansky....... 

I recently sharpened my Kershaw Dimension using the 20 degree setting on the system.  I don't have a way to measure the "actual" angle but it felt it wasn't quite 20 degrees.  I looked at the bevel thrru my older SAK mag glass and while the angle was consistent along the whole knife it appeared lower. 

I keep most my folders at about 22-25 degrees per side.  I then decided to experiment with my Swisschamp.  I decided to try the 17 degree setting and quickly noticed a "new" edge being cut.  I read SAKs are 15-20 so this is why I chose the 17 degree angle.  When I finished it was clear the edge was a new one.  I really liked it actually and my SAK has never been sharper.  I also was able to restore the tip on the well used knife. 

This brings me to what I discovered. 

I will play around some more but now I can totally understand why in the past I was confused.  I noticed than on some knives a new edge was being formed and hadn't realized the angles were effected by so much. 

Hope this helps you determine the best setting on your Lansky System. 

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:34:52 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Lansky sharpening system users.......
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 04:25:17 AM
Good post Aloha!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 07:44:55 AM
Thanks for this post Aloha.

My use of the Lansky follows the same understanding but I do not worry so much about the edge angle as much.
I use the Lansky for serious edge profiling and not maintenance and touch ups.

All I do is make sure the angle is less than 20 each side, this is so I can put a micro bevel on with the Spyderco Sharpmaker afterwards.
Anything from 15 to 20 works. I even measure this using the Spyderco, comparing it to the 30 and 40 degree angles. As long as its between the two angles on the Sharpmaker its fine. 

I do make sure I get it onto the same place on the blade an document this somewhere!  Else the next time to put on a primary edge you take off too much metal. As I only do this in extreme cases this is not even a factor for me most of the time. 

I use the Extra Coarse diamond for edge re-profiling followed by standard medium (400) and then ceramic ultra fine (1000) to polish.

20-40 stroke on the Sharpmaker afterwards and my knives pop hairs. 

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 12:02:12 PM
I dont use the Lansky for general maintenance so all I need is it to be less than this.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 03:57:41 PM
I also use my Spyderco sharp tho maker mostly the ceramic rods.  I use the Lansky as you do, to even out grinds or make a new edge depending on what I use the knife for.  I know I was over thinking the edge on my Dimension but what a neat discovery. 

As far as touching up I mentioned in another thread that I like to strop.  If I've neglected a blade like on my MT then several strokes on the Spyderco and i'm back in business. 

I don't typically "test" for sharpness by cutting paper since all my knives do that really well.  I will use receipt paper ( don't have phone book paper ) and more often pull thread over the edge.  My poor arm is in a perpetual shaved state  :facepalm:

I "blame" my years cooking on why I tend to keep my knives this sharp.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:42:49 AM
Thanks for posting this
I found this video a while back and  tried to be more precise in my sharpening angle
Finally  I went back to just using the 20 or 25 settings,  depending on the blade
I like the Lansky, and at least I know the angle will be consistent  and close to the angle of the setting
Most everything I sharpen turns out shaving sharp, especially with the final honing stones

Maintenance on Spyderco ceramic rods or Lansky Turnbox  keeps them sharp

In other words, the measuring and calculation input stated to make me  feel a little too  compulsive
I do not any knives that have their own edge angle requirements, thank goodness

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:34:24 AM
I agree with all you said.  It was a neat discovery and while I try to not get OCD about the degrees it did help.  I also like my Lansky system.  I want to get the sapphire and strop as well.  I've done some nice work with my system.
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 06:53:52 AM
Other things about the Lansky.

Forget the actual angle but make sure what you actually do is precise.
Hold the rod down lightly against the bottom of the slot you are using with your other hand.
Getting one of the stands helps.
Make sure the clamp does not rock at all, this is tricky with flat ground blades.

Use the oil to clean the stones, don't run it "wet"

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 03:00:21 PM
Great post and video, thanks!

Inviato dal mio LG-H500 utilizzando Tapatalk

Antonio

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 03:36:27 PM
For a total newby what easy sharpening system do you recommend?
Lansky, Spyderco...?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 04:01:31 PM
I like the Lansky sharpening system.  I have literally sharpened hundreds of blades on mine, and I had virtually every stone that was available at the time.  I did have one issue with it, and that's basic geometry.  It didn't matter as much with shorter blades like pocket knives, but for edges bigger than 5-6" it could be a real pain.

The pictures below show the difficulty, as good as I can explain it, but since it is a pivoting system it only works to create a smooth edge on knives of a certain size.  Exceed that and you start to get an uneven edge, and it gets worse when you go with larger blades because you need to re-position the clamp multiple times.

It's good for quick touch ups and for novice users, but I often found that I had to re-profile blades somewhat for use with the Lansky so I went back to steels, rods and stones.

Def
Lansky1.jpg
* Lansky1.jpg (Filesize: 14.78 KB)
Lansky-2.jpg
* Lansky-2.jpg (Filesize: 49.52 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:43 PM
Great point Boss.   :tu: 

So heres what I see we are talking about 

Factory edges is no longer easily cutting = Dull.  What to do?  Typically we don't need to "sharpen" at this point.  What we can do IMO is a couple of things.  We can HONE the edge.  HONE is realigning the rolled over cutting edge.  This can be done by ceramic rods and such.  There are also ways to mimic ceramic rods by using coffee cup bottoms and the tops of our auto windows or even cardboard boxes.  Keep in mind this method on super steels or hard wear steel probably wont work and will probably require diamonds rods.  On our SAK blades tho almost anything works to get that edge realigned.

Chips, very dull edges, wonky bevel grinds etc are some situations where SHARPENING comes into play.  This is where material is being removed to revel a fresh new bevel.  This is where on the opposite side of the blade you will feel a burr. 

Sharpening our SAKs is not really needed unless we damage the edge or really neglect it. 

Please keep in mind this is a very rough explanation. 

My suggestion for the money is still the Lansky Turn box with 4 rods.  I'd also suggest fooling around with some old leather and stropping.  If you need to actually sharpen I can suggest the Lansky Sharpening system with clamp and such.  I like it and while it has some inherent issues for the money I'm happy to own 2. 

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:04:18 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2016, 10:39:22 PM
I had bought the basic set and ended up purchasing almost all of the other individual stones for it separately.  I had the diamond stones, the standard stones, the serrated stones and the ultra fine stones that would polish the edge to a mirror finish, which looked gorgeous but left the edge to slick to actually cut anything. 

I am a big fan of the system, and for the average person I think it is brilliant.  I just think that folks that are really into edge geometry may want to try something else instead.

For example, when my father called me asking me about sharpeners and looking at one of those God awful electronic doodads I told him not to, and to get the Sharpmaker instead.  Well, he did, and he loves the Sharpmaker so much that I think even every spoon in his house has a razored edge now!

The Lansky was actually the first thing I was going to suggest for him, but in the end I decided not to as it would end up being too much effort to set up and tear down and he'd probably end up buying one of those terrible electric doodads anyway.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 03:25:38 AM
he loves the Sharpmaker so much that I think even every spoon in his house has a razored edge now!

:rofl:

Great post Aloha :tu: I am back an forth with the Lansky, Sharpmaker and my diamond bench stones and other diamond sharpeners :tu:

The Lansky does a great job at reprofiling blades and leaves a beautiful edge :drool:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 05:17:01 PM
I use their turnbox, the sharpening is too expensive for me :cry:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2016, 05:42:46 PM
For a total newby what easy sharpening system do you recommend?
Lansky, Spyderco...?

I understand the Sharpmaker is better in every way than the Lansky... then again it is about 4 times the price as well and probably not 4 times as good...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2016, 08:35:51 PM
I think whats "best" is what works for you.  This is gonna be different for each knife user and more importantly depends on what you are trying to do.     

I would like to try the sharpmaker, Edgpro, wicked edge, and of course chosera stones.  I've used lessor quality whet stones in the past and produced terrific edges.   

In all reality very few of us "need" edges that rival the legendary samurai edge.  This excludes professionals, hunters, those earn their money with their knives, etc.  Most will do fine with out the box sharp knives ( more or less ).  All my opinion of course YMMV.   

Polished edges sure look great.  There are different schools of thought and as many "tests" against doing it.  I'll say this on the topic, I have serrated blades for when I want "toothy" and my polished PE blades for everything else  :salute:.  Most our MTs come with one of each tho many dislike serrated edges  :think:.  All time favorite knives of mine, Delica and Native fully serrated.     

I'm certainly no expert nor do I claim or am I claiming to be.  I have produced some terrific edges with my Lansky and re-beveled/profiled many that were really wonky.  Keep in mind I don't buy new!  All mine come to me previously used and in many cases what one thinks is "hair popping" isn't.  This includes nearly all my MTs and SAKs with very few exceptions.  My knives may not represent what y'all get so keep that in mind.     

Stropping is a must for me, when my edge needs a touch up thats what I do.  I rarely "re-sharpen" my knives after my initial edge "correction" and setting.  I'll strop and if that isn't working ( rolled edge, chip, etc ) then I'll hit it with the ceramic rod then strop.

My 2c on the topic.  I am very much still learning and very much loving this whole process.   
IMG_0431 copy.jpg
* IMG_0431 copy.jpg (Filesize: 131.87 KB)
IMG_7644 copy.jpg
* IMG_7644 copy.jpg (Filesize: 125.07 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: March 16, 2016, 09:34:27 PM
Off topic  ::) I love the contrast of BO tools and their blades edge :drool:  :b2t:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 16, 2016, 09:36:54 PM
Stropping is a step I often overlook and forget :facepalm: I usually just hit it a few strokes on a very fine diamond stone and it is back to shaving sharp :tu:

What kind of compound does everybody recommend for loading up a leather strop BTW :think:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: March 16, 2016, 09:44:44 PM
I think the BO and not coated edge make a wonderful contrast as well. 

I use the cheap stuff from Big box store ( green ).  My strop is an old leather belt with flat nap.  I know guys are using diamond drops and other exotic stuff but I've not gone there yet ( maybe never ). 

Keeping my theme of buying and using used gear my set up ( Lansky & Spyderco ) are previously used with, my Turn Box I bought new.

I have black and white compound as well but mostly use the green. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Marcellus

Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 12:10:17 AM
Aloha007

Nice edges

With a little practise and patience the Lansky  system does a very good job
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:12:41 AM by Marcellus »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 12:13:39 AM
Aloha007

Nice edges

Thanks I appreciate it  :salute:.  Just wanted to even out the LM grinds and add a little pizzaz. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Marcellus

Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 12:25:07 AM
I still free hand sharpen every so often to retain the skill ( so I stay sharp,  if you excuse the pun)
Even with many years experience,  I can't duplicate the Lansky edge  as well 

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #23 on: September 08, 2016, 04:47:55 PM
[ALEPH78 USES THREAD NECRO] [IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!]

So, what would you guys recommend for a beginner? I've never been really good at sharpening so I'd require something easy.

I read about and saw some videos of the Lansky Sharpening system, and it looks promising and affordable. Or could I just
do with the Lansky Turn Box? I know I need a bench stone of some kind for my puukko, but for the SAKs and MTs?

Some advice would be grreatly appreciated.

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 05:24:35 PM
I find the Lansky system is good for initial sharpening where you want to control the grind angle or need to re-shape an dull edge, but I find it annoying on longer blades (e.g. kitchen knives) and fiddly on narrow ones (like a SAK pen blade).  The rubber pads that clamp the blade don't work that well on a small blade.  But it works, and does a good job.  The turnbox is great for touch ups, once you've set the edge angle.  So, in true MT.o fashion, get both. :pok: :)

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 04:44:57 PM
I find the Lansky system is good for initial sharpening where you want to control the grind angle or need to re-shape an dull edge, but I find it annoying on longer blades (e.g. kitchen knives) and fiddly on narrow ones (like a SAK pen blade).  The rubber pads that clamp the blade don't work that well on a small blade.  But it works, and does a good job.  The turnbox is great for touch ups, once you've set the edge angle.  So, in true MT.o fashion, get both. :pok: :)

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of  :P

:D
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #26 on: September 10, 2016, 04:48:15 PM
OK, next question, what would be a good price for the Lansky system and the Turn Box? Don't like to be ripped off...

I think I saw the System going for 30 USD on the evilBay and Turn Box for 15 USD ???
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:49:49 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 12, 2016, 10:06:39 PM
OK, next question, what would be a good price for the Lansky system and the Turn Box? Don't like to be ripped off...

I think I saw the System going for 30 USD on the evilBay and Turn Box for 15 USD ???

Sounds about right for the Lansky system :cheers: No idea about a price on the Turn Box though :shrug: Seems to be a good price but I don't have one nor ever looked at prices of them ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:07:44 PM by Poncho65 »

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #28 on: September 12, 2016, 10:19:07 PM
Yep, sounds right.  Check which Lansky system you go for - there are various ones with different combinations of stone.  Mine is the 3-stone coarse/medium/fine - the 5-stone one might have been a better bet.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 08:26:47 PM
I think I should be fine with the 3 stone system for now, after all I can buy the additional stones later, right?
"Hoarder of weirdness,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31