Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Lansky sharpening system users.......

Aloha · 61 · 5599

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Lansky sharpening system users.......
Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 04:20:48 PM
I think I should be fine with the 3 stone system for now, after all I can buy the additional stones later, right?

Yes you will be fine with the 3 stone version and yes you can buy whatever additional stones you may require. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 10:48:52 PM
New page banana man dance

:nanadance:       :nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 10:49:55 PM
I added the fine sapphire after I got the standard 3 stone set and the sky is the limit on what all is available stone wise with Lansky :tu:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #33 on: January 14, 2017, 03:29:28 PM
Finally ordered the 3 stone Lansky system today, will get some pics in as soon as it arrives  :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: January 14, 2017, 04:05:30 PM
Finally ordered the 3 stone Lansky system today, will get some pics in as soon as it arrives  :cheers:
[/quote

:tu:
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: January 14, 2017, 06:11:28 PM
I have a Lansky system with 4 diamond hones, and it just sits on a shelf not being used. I do not regret buying it though.

These days, I prefer to sharpen freehand, but I found the Lansky system to be an excellent teaching aid before I moved to freehand. It was particularly useful when reprofiling, either to remove a chip or indent, or to correct a poor factory grind.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #36 on: January 14, 2017, 06:14:41 PM
I have a Lansky system with 4 diamond hones, and it just sits on a shelf not being used. I do not regret buying it though.

These days, I prefer to sharpen freehand, but I found the Lansky system to be an excellent teaching aid before I moved to freehand. It was particularly useful when reprofiling, either to remove a chip or indent, or to correct a poor factory grind.

It certainly is!  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #37 on: January 14, 2017, 06:19:21 PM
I love my Lansky. My carbon steel blades become razors using it. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #38 on: January 14, 2017, 06:42:08 PM
I too have the Lansky 3 stone setup.  After awhile I found a deal on the polish stone (sapphire one I think it was) so I picked it up just to have.  I don't get into polished edges but if I decide to try something different I have that stone just waiting to be used!  :)

The Lansky is only used for repairs or to reset a bevel etc. as mainly I just use the Sharpmaker or once in awhile the Lansky 4 rod setup to touch up the blades.  The 4 rod turn box doesn't see much use though.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: January 15, 2017, 12:11:08 AM
I too have the Lansky 3 stone setup.  After awhile I found a deal on the polish stone (sapphire one I think it was) so I picked it up just to have.  I don't get into polished edges but if I decide to try something different I have that stone just waiting to be used!  :)

The Lansky is only used for repairs or to reset a bevel etc. as mainly I just use the Sharpmaker or once in awhile the Lansky 4 rod setup to touch up the blades.  The 4 rod turn box doesn't see much use though.

I also have the 3 stone and sapphire polish stone setup :cheers: :cheers: :tu: It doesn't get used much as I favor freehand sharpening as well but it does help repair edges very well :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: January 15, 2017, 12:11:50 AM

Can't wait to see the pics buddy :cheers: :cheers: :like: Also to hear your thoughts on it after a bit of use :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 04:02:57 PM
I had to break out my Lansky yesterday.  I have a Kershaw Black Horse 1060 Japan knife thats pretty much been a beater.  The edge was pretty wrecked but its not a knife I use often or even cared about.  I was fixing the edge on my Mora #2 and decided to finally take care of the Kershaw.  BTW I didn't use the Lansky on the Mora. 

I'll post up pics in a bit.  I went thru the red ( 120 ) then green ( 280 ) then blue ( 600 ) then 3 micron diamond spray strop then green compound strop, and BOOM she's got such a wicked edge now.  I used the 25 degree guide for this knife and didn't strop to a mirror just enough to smooth out the bevel and remove any trace of a burr. 

Guys I can continue to recommend this tool for those who need to do work on your bevels.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 04:15:03 PM
Forgive the pics.  I'll still need to work out the tip but the new bevel is certainly more even along the length of the blade.  The angle is also even on both sides as well.  I got this knife very used but its solid.  Anyone know the steel on this?  From what I gather its supposed to be 8cr13mov?   
IMG_2310.JPG
* IMG_2310.JPG (Filesize: 171.17 KB)
IMG_2311.JPG
* IMG_2311.JPG (Filesize: 186.28 KB)
IMG_2312.JPG
* IMG_2312.JPG (Filesize: 177.19 KB)
IMG_2313.JPG
* IMG_2313.JPG (Filesize: 216.37 KB)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:17:32 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 04:47:12 PM
Beats me about the steel, but you did a good job on that edge.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 05:01:32 PM

The Lansky really does a good job at keeping the angle even on both sides.  Along the length of the blade the previous owner/s tried to sharpen it and just went to steep.  Grinding it to 25 degree per side gives it enough edge to be wicked and strong.  I'm not gonna lie I've beat on this knife at camp sites and shes a tough one.  Its fills my hand and feel great in it.  Not sure what these sold for but it another flea market find for me so IIRC it was <$10 for sure.  I do recall the blade being really covered with surface rust but I gave it a quick 0000 steel wool wipe and ceramic rod hone and off she went into my camp bag.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 10:29:10 PM
You done a very fine job bringing the edge back Aloha :like: :like: I don't know if I have ever owned a Kershaw  :think: A lot of people I know carry one but not me ??? I guess that's another brand I need to try :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 10:32:50 PM by Poncho65 »

us Offline cody6268

Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 10:32:14 PM

The Lansky really does a good job at keeping the angle even on both sides.  Along the length of the blade the previous owner/s tried to sharpen it and just went to steep.  Grinding it to 25 degree per side gives it enough edge to be wicked and strong.  I'm not gonna lie I've beat on this knife at camp sites and shes a tough one.  Its fills my hand and feel great in it.  Not sure what these sold for but it another flea market find for me so IIRC it was <$10 for sure.  I do recall the blade being really covered with surface rust but I gave it a quick 0000 steel wool wipe and ceramic rod hone and off she went into my camp bag.   

If it's Japanese, I think it's an AUS type steel, AUS8 if I'm not mistaken. Chinese ones used the CrMoV steels, however.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: February 17, 2017, 03:21:27 PM
Its Japanese and thank you.  I used the knife to cut chicken last night.  The blades edge is wickedly sharp and being an older user before I got it the lock up is solid. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: February 17, 2017, 03:22:43 PM
You done a very fine job bringing the edge back Aloha :like: :like: I don't know if I have ever owned a Kershaw  :think: A lot of people I know carry one but not me ??? I guess that's another brand I need to try :D

Thanks.  Kershaw has some nice models.  Price point is nice too.  If you are looking for a work horse with style then IMO you cannot go wrong. 
Esse Quam Videri

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: January 19, 2018, 07:12:25 AM
ARISE!!!!! :shrug:
 :rofl:

I'm in this club for about a month now........what's the oil for?  :think:

I've got the kit with the 5 stones, I think the jaws were bent in transport, but hey, I can't have nice things so...... :rofl:

Feel I need to buy or build a pedestal, get the diamond stones as well as the rounded ones for recurves....

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 19, 2018, 08:33:52 AM
ARISE!!!!! :shrug:
 :rofl:

I'm in this club for about a month now........what's the oil for?  :think:

I've got the kit with the 5 stones, I think the jaws were bent in transport, but hey, I can't have nice things so...... :rofl:

Feel I need to buy or build a pedestal, get the diamond stones as well as the rounded ones for recurves....
Oil is to clean the stones, when they get gunky with metal they get a sheen to them, and loss their effectiveness. Oil will float the shavings so they can be wiped off!

My clamp was absolute garbage!! Still finding ways to try and improve it.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #51 on: January 19, 2018, 09:22:19 AM
I have the 4 stone diamond system. It is great for recontouring a broken blade or for putting a new edge on a badly neglected knife but for everyday use I like the Eze lap freehand sharpeners followed by the vic pocket ceramic sharpener.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: January 19, 2018, 09:33:01 AM
Oil is to clean the stones, when they get gunky with metal they get a sheen to them, and loss their effectiveness. Oil will float the shavings so they can be wiped off!

Do you apply the oil while using the stones, or to clean afterwards?

I need practice, still get better results with the baby belt grinder and polisher, but I nicely stuffed up a new edge with the belt grinder, using the Lansky in future.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #53 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:14 AM

Do you apply the oil while using the stones, or to clean afterwards?

I need practice, still get better results with the baby belt grinder and polisher, but I nicely stuffed up a new edge with the belt grinder, using the Lansky in future.
I usually do it during, I feel like it help lubricates the cutting.

I would strongly recommend the sharpie trick so you can keep track of the edge on every stone.

The stand they sell is pretty bad IMO, I use a small 3" bench vice or hold the actual tool in my hand if the blade hasn't been removed

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #54 on: January 19, 2018, 10:39:07 AM
I oil the stones whilst using them. Just a few drops on each is enough.

The clamp on mine sucks too, and is too big for SAKs. I need to come up with a Edge Pro-like solution if I can.

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 19, 2018, 11:47:13 AM
Thanks guys, probably saved me a few $$$  :salute:

If it wasn't made out of smurf metal you could crank down and really hold onto the blade.....

Was there an update to the kit?  on some YT videos the clamp has rubber at the jaw?

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #56 on: January 19, 2018, 04:37:43 PM
Deluxe Sharpening system is what I regularly use these days... and 25° angle... and strop afterwards...

Tried the sharpmaker for a while but sometimes my bevels are wider at the tip. And couldn’t even get factory sharp edges...

No problems with the Lansky... Didn’t go for the optional stand as my mini bench vice is sufficient enough... I also do freehand with these stones for my 58mm blades...

Sharpmaker is now used mainly to sharpen scissors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #57 on: January 19, 2018, 08:18:03 PM
Thanks guys, probably saved me a few $$$  :salute:

If it wasn't made out of smurf metal you could crank down and really hold onto the blade.....

Was there an update to the kit?  on some YT videos the clamp has rubber at the jaw?

Yep, there's a newer version with the rubber. Mine is the old pot metal (sintered?) version too. I've found it functional for most knives, but you definitely can't do much with especially large or small blades. It's a great system for the price. I got the 5-stone system for $32, and it's been a fantastic value. Added a sapphire stone to the lineup, but I still need to get the strop.

And on the topic of Japanese Kershaws, I'm pretty sure they are indeed AUS8.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #58 on: January 19, 2018, 11:56:07 PM
I had the version with the rubber pads and ended up ripping them off.

Blue tape works best, I might try and dip the tips into liquid flex seal.

us Offline Dean51

• No Life Club
  • Geometry cuts but the steel determines how long.
Reply #59 on: January 20, 2018, 01:33:22 AM
Stropping is a step I often overlook and forget :facepalm: I usually just hit it a few strokes on a very fine diamond stone and it is back to shaving sharp :tu:

What kind of compound does everybody recommend for loading up a leather strop BTW :think:

I'm using Bark River black or green on SAKS, 1095 AUS-8 and other lower carbon steels.
I don't think you need diamond compound until you get into the high carbon vanadium steels.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%