Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What kind of bag(s) do you prefer?

Poll

What kind of bag(s) do you prefer? (Check up to 3)

Duffel Bags
3 (2.3%)
Sport Equipment Bag
3 (2.3%)
Laptop Bag
5 (3.8%)
Messenger Bag
28 (21.2%)
Sling Bag
18 (13.6%)
Pod
7 (5.3%)
Backpack
61 (46.2%)
Other
7 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 95

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
What kind of bag(s) do you prefer?
on: March 14, 2016, 03:08:54 PM
For a basic or daily type EDC, what kind of bag do you feel works the best?  I've listed a few different types here, and here are some examples of each type in case you aren't sure which one it is from the description above.

Duffel Bag:

Sport Equipment Bag:

Laptop Bag:

Messenger Bag:

Sling Bags:

Pods:

Backpack:

If you don't see the kind of bag you prefer here, click Other and post below to tell everyone your thoughts!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: What kind of bag(s) do you prefer?
Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 03:12:22 PM
Can only check one at the mo, but I usually carry a backpack for ease and the amount It can take. I like messenger bags for ease of access and am a recent convert to the sling bag as Def recommended I get one for my wife while is having to get round on crutches. She is so impressed with it I think she'll use it after she's back on 2 legs.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 04:01:07 PM
I still don't carry or bring a bag with me.  I do have an emergency evacuation bag set up but that is not for daily use.  I love seeing what people do carry in their bags tho.  The only bag I did carry was a diaper bag when the kids were at that age. 
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 04:02:40 PM
Back pack for me, no doubt about it.  With the messenger bag being a distant second  ;).

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 04:06:02 PM
In the lid of my day bag (25 ltr) I have a small FAK, my shemagh for cold weather/triangular bandage/headscarf etc, Monocular, compass, large plastic bags for sitting down in the wet, and a small bag with paracetamol, ibuprofen, antihistamines, etc.

My bag has 3 side pockets, 1 for a larger FAK and the other 2 for water, and the main compartment is for food and a hat and jumper, maps etc.

I'll post a pic when I have time.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 04:55:55 PM
I prefer the Maxpedition Mongo messenger-style bag.  For me, its the right combination of big on the inside but manageable to carry.  And it looks more or less like a laptop bag.  I prefer to fly under the radar, so no paracord danglies, exposed fixed blades or zombie patches to attract attention.   Mine is loaded with convenience items including Knipex tools for quick repairs, a first aid kit, portable device battery and chargers, snacks, non-prescription meds, earplugs, zip ties, SAK & MT, and on and on.

http://tinyurl.com/jqwvtpb

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 07:33:02 PM
I don't carry an EDC bag or any type of bag unless I am on vacation :think: I carry a backpack with me on vacation :tu: Other than that I don't guess I have a reason to carry a bag :ahhh I guess I have deep pockets to carry my junk around :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 07:39:55 PM
I'm a backpack kind of guy. I have not been carrying one lately as I have no need anymore.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline scanman

Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 07:46:57 PM
I use an Ebag Crew Cooler 2. Built for airline pilots and stewards/stewardesses. Lifetime warranty fo civilians and 5 years for those in the aviation field.
Nice bag, plenty of room for lunch and most anything else I want to bring to work. Alos has room up top for my meds, gum, pens, lighters, etc etc

Here is a link...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BNN0JU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Offline ilader

• New User
Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 08:02:16 PM
For any EDC, it is important that it have a light-colored interior, so you can see the tools.
It is important that the bottom be waterproof, so the tools don't get wet when the bag is put down.
It is important that there be a closable top, so the tools don't spill out.
It is important that there be a hanging hook/hauling loop, where the bag can be fully accessible but hanging or hauled up.
It is important that the bag be able to stay upright when open or closed.
It is important that it have a letter-sized pouch slot for papers, diagrams, installation manuals, or a clipboard.

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:57:19 PM
First, I suppose it's only proper to completely agree with everything Grant said . . .

Voted "Other" because my EDC bag for about 20 years has been a Land's End canvas briefcase and it has worn like iron! Not really a computer bag, it's more canvas brief case that happens to have a place to put a laptop in a sleeve. If I had to replace it I'd be looking for something similar! Land's End has changed them recently and not certain I'd go for their current one or not. It isn't waterproof, but it's quite water resistant.

John
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:59:04 PM by jalind »
John

be Offline stunkel

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 10:07:32 PM
For me normally a waist bag (Maxpedition Sabercat) or a backpack.
Both are for geocaching and have the same content. I always wear one of the two.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 10:08:53 PM
For some reason it only let me pick one, I would have picked both a sling and a backpack. Here's a crappy pic of what I carry, it's a sling but I kinda find it a pain sometimes, like getting in and out of cars, you can't sit down with it so you have to take it off, thus you gotta stretch it over your head to do so. I've been kinda thinking of moving up to a backpack, all you gotta do is slide the bag off the shoulder, but I don't carry much so it's kinda a little overkill for what I need.. I even spoke to maxpedition with a few ideas and a sketch, they said that they are very interesting and sending them to the creative or design unit? Or what ever it is.. Again hers a crappy pic.
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 10:44:07 PM
I love my Arc'teryx Khard, but I have to confess that most of the time I carry one of the great leatherbags that were issued by the Swiss Army. The recent years saw me buying almost every model, so I have different sizes for different opportunities

The Khard
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/b4/5f/75/b45f759e9646dfd66585b00a55acd564.jpg

And some examples for Swiss military leather bags
http://www.m-frosch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Schweizer-Armee-Taschen-2-M-Frosch-Leder.jpg

Yeah, bag-fetish.
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:55 PM
Is there a distinguishing characteristic that separates a duffel bag from a sports bag? they look pretty close to me.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #15 on: March 15, 2016, 01:55:10 AM
I actually haven't decided.

I started with a Drawstring bag, it was great but it was lumpy, and if i actually put it on my back it hurt.

So I switched to a backpack, which was great but rather large.

The a sling bag, which worked for a day. Definetly don't like 1 band.

Then came messengers, I tried a maxped Larkspur for awhile, I only ever used the zipper to get into the bag. The flap idea was a hassle.

Right now I'm using a Timbuk2 Bag that I got on ebay with another.

It's the best so far, it stands up, you can take the backpack straps in, or use them. It's got handles for vertical or horizontal use. And a messenger strap.

The best part about it is, the main compartments are just zipper access. With a small flap on the front. AND the most important feature, I can unzip it with one hand. The material is stiff enough to not fold under pressure, allowing the zip to zip.

Offline sjdmd

• New User
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2016, 01:58:38 AM
I've been carrying http://www.keeppursuing.com/sling/ since I got it out of the Kickstarter. I've found the ability to move it up in back when I'm fast walking, secure it to my waist when I'm on crowded sidewalks (NYC is home & work) and slide it up in front when I'm on a train or in a taxi/Uber is quite convenient. It lacks a pocket for letter-size paper, but easily carries my iPad Mini 4, so almost all paper I carry is turned into photos, the rest can usually be letter folded in thirds and slid into the back-flat pocket for the trip home. I load it with cards, small notebook, 3x5 cards, charging cables and charger, battery backup, various EDC small items, keys a few bars for fueling me and my work ID.
kp_sling.jpeg
* kp_sling.jpeg (Filesize: 158.13 KB)

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2016, 04:00:14 AM
Is there a distinguishing characteristic that separates a duffel bag from a sports bag? they look pretty close to me.
I think duffel bags are generally calmer in design, something elegant to carry luggage from airport to airport or just an average overnight bag.

Gym bags are generally bright and vivid, materials that won't absorb dirt or sweat from the clothes you put in them. Most of them also have a pocket just for shoes.

The design is about the same other than colors/pockets.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #18 on: March 15, 2016, 05:18:13 AM
I carry a square laptop/briefcase that looks like the one in Grant's picture when I go to my appointments as it holds my paperwork and has room for pens, a flashlight, a couple of Zone bars, a bottle of water and a compact umbrella among other things.

When I'm traveling or doing something such as my historical reenacting I carry a small one of these, http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Extreme-Boat-Bags/product/10205325/ It holds everything I might need on the road or as a reenactor or anytime I'll be stuck someplace for 12 plus hours and unable to go get what I might need.  The contents include a first aid kit, shoe goo, spool of rawhide, and a spool of twine, duct tape, electrical tape, sun screen, gloves, a lighter, a flashlight and 2 headlamps, Zone bars, toilet paper in a sealed zip lock bag, knives, pens, a small sewing kit including leather and canvas needles, a pair of socks, a Gerber Mr. Pinchy, and some other stuff that is all compartmentalized in a GoGear car organizer http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-INTORG-BLA-Go-Gear-Organizer/dp/B001GDJGJQ that fits nicely in the boat bag and leaves room for another small bag that I put other essential items in that I don't keep in that bag.  I will be working the Florida primary election today and I will have this bag with me because from 5 in the morning until around 9  tonight I can't leave.

So, I guess I actually carry the briefcase more often, but for shorter periods. I carry more stuff and get more use out of the extreme boat bag though and because I leave everything in the boat bag it is always ready to go.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 05:19:24 AM by Alan K. »

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #19 on: March 15, 2016, 12:28:20 PM
I could only pick one so I chose backpack. My other two votes would be for messanger bag and duffel bag (maybe not for EDC but I could do that if needed). Honorable mention goes to waist bags.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:30:46 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #20 on: March 15, 2016, 12:38:18 PM
Messenger bag most of the time.  I use a Timbuk2 Covert medium messenger like this:

I don't think they make this model any more.  It's got plenty of storage space with loads of internal pockets and a big main compartment, is easy to carry on either shoulder with a comfy pad.  It's waterproof, stays open when you want it to and the light grey interior makes it easy to find stuff.  The central panel looks black in daylight but is highly retro-reflective at night.  It's a bit dull but tidy enough for work and will just about swallow my 15" laptop.  Plenty big enough to act as a change bag for the kids at weekends too.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #21 on: March 15, 2016, 12:40:46 PM
Backpack for me too - though my other half recently got me a messenger bag, I haven't used it yet, haven't been anywhere lately where I needed a bag. My kids do get great mileage out of it though, slagging me for having a manbag  ::)
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 12:42:50 PM
The results for backpack look x-rated... 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 12:54:34 PM
Backpack for me too - though my other half recently got me a messenger bag, I haven't used it yet, haven't been anywhere lately where I needed a bag. My kids do get great mileage out of it though, slagging me for having a manbag  ::)
Isn't that more because of the lippy and mascara you keep in it?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 01:31:55 PM

In my mind at least, a duffel is largely a soft sided bag with a round design, almost like a fabric barrel with straps.  This design was simple and easy for military suppliers to crank out in volume to meet demands.  They were also easy to fix, and since there were no corners they didn't suffer from point loading failures as much.  I always picture the traditional military style duffel, similar to the one pictured above, but not as fancy.

A sports bag is more like a slightly soft sided box.  The corners and rough canvas or nylon give you more space but also means the bag is heavier.  They are also usually more water resistant due to the nylon- as anyone who has ever opened one after leaving sweaty hockey gear closed up in one knows all too well.  The down side of them is the corners- if one of those starts to come apart the whole bag will soon fall apart if it isn't fixed quickly.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 03:08:56 PM
Isn't that more because of the lippy and mascara you keep in it?

well, no, they're part of my EDC.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline abcdef

Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 03:10:27 PM
Since I go to the gym almost every day, a gym bag. 

Offline josephloya5150

Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 06:40:51 PM
Sling bag with a pod/pocket pouch inside, if more space is required then I will switch to a back pack, transferring the pocket pocket pouch into the latter.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

ca Offline leg0man

Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 03:26:46 AM
When I travel, I like to have a backpack, but for day-to-day I don't carry a bag. My gear goes in my pockets.

Offline zatoichi

Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 03:37:58 AM
My current EDC is an off brand.

The Smith and Wesson pack is made by a company called The Allen Company. It seems solid but some of the Amazon reviews note that it might not be very good in the field. It was cheap ($57) and big (3100 cubic inches)

Not too bad  carrying but it is not as comfortable as a Maxped Vulture II or Kifaru Zulu.

This is what it looks like.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410kYiTMmYL.jpg

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24