Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What kind of bag(s) do you prefer?

Poll

What kind of bag(s) do you prefer? (Check up to 3)

Duffel Bags
3 (2.3%)
Sport Equipment Bag
3 (2.3%)
Laptop Bag
5 (3.8%)
Messenger Bag
28 (21.2%)
Sling Bag
18 (13.6%)
Pod
7 (5.3%)
Backpack
61 (46.2%)
Other
7 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Offline josephloya5150

Re: What kind of bag(s) do you prefer?
Reply #30 on: March 17, 2016, 03:52:27 AM
I prefer different packs for different situations.  Weather, Capacity, Weight , location,  Ect. Usually a sling pack on a trip downtown if I'm not planning on picking anything up, but if I am I have to switch to a backpack. I am basically a huge fan of modular systems and separate pouches. It's just makes things so much easier to manage. I sometimes just shake my head at people who see molle webbing and automatically think tactical when in fact it's actually practical!!!  Go figure...... The ability to reconfigure your bag allows you the ability to adapt to circumstances.  No matter what bag I choose to be honest some of the same stuff rides in it.

Sent from my Z987 using Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: March 17, 2016, 02:04:38 PM
Looks like SOG has some new packs available that don't look half bad:

http://www.sogknives.com/tactical/packs.html

Not cheap though, but then neither are a lot of decent bags out there.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline josephloya5150

Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 02:16:20 PM
Cost to much.... And it's SOG.... They look nice with the lases cut webbing but again it's SOG.... Realistically there is much better stuff out there made by manufacturers that just make bags that's cheaper bit more importantly PROVEN... 

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #33 on: March 17, 2016, 02:27:00 PM
I tried a sling bag for 6 months and it was just too heavy for one shoulder, not that I had a lot of gear but it grew tiresome. So I went back to a traditional 2 strap backpack. Just usual daily gear to and from work. Also use it for day trips etc. I'm using a rush 12

Offline josephloya5150

Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 02:46:28 PM
Rossko07 your right.. Some sling bags are bigger than others, hence they have a higher capacity which usually equals greater weight I have a larger sling pack I never use for that reason,  I opt for a small sling just to fit my fatty..small first aid kit pad,  pen, torch which all actually fit in the  fatty. I will throw in seasonal type items but even with the small sling if I utilize the water pouch, forget it.. It seems too be a little heavy for all day use... My shoulder does start to hurt but sometimes even a small pack is just a little too much... Guess I'll just keep looking for that one perfect piece of kit, if any such thing exists.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 05:38:14 PM
Speak of the devils.... just after I posted the above Link I got a press release from SOG about the packs:

SOG New Line of Packs Now Available
Manufacturer’s First Line of Bags Now Available for Purchase
Lynnwood, WA. - SOG® Specialty Knives and Tools has announced the release of their new line of SOG Packs.  A family of six bags ranging in size from a daily sling pack to a full-sized duffel, the SOG Packs break the mold on conventional tactical bags; bringing a line that serve every user ready for outdoor adventures or daily carry.

Not only do the new SOG packs offer typical functions like hydration sleeves, MOLLE attachment points, and durable fabrics, but also premium features such as Hypalon MOLLE fields, Quad-Zip full access compartments, integrated long item carriers, and suspension systems. Contemporary use of tactical packs calls for the need of added comfort, versatility, and durability - SOG packs deliver on all these benefits and more, all while maintaining a sleek unassuming look.

The versatility of the packs offers something for everyone.  For longer expeditions, the adaptable Seraphim 35L or Prophet 33L can house all your gear without sacrificing mobility and comfort. For outings shorter than that, the Scout 24L can handle anything for an overnight or day trip while the Ranger 12L makes a great companion for quick escapes.

Modern urban warriors will find that the TOC 20L or EVAC 18L sling can easily organize their daily carry. Whether heading out for a multi-day excursion or a quick morning errand, there is a SOG pack for your needs.

SERAPHIM 35L
The SOG Seraphim is designed to be the pack that does it all by carrying everything in its 35L main compartment. Equipped with shock cord tie downs, any additional equipment can be cinched to the outside of the bag, attached to the Hypalon MOLLE field, or strapped inside the fold-down panel. In addition, the unique integrated long item carry caters to the adventurer who’s travels require an axe, fishing rod, bow, or rifle. The combination of these external features, along with the pack’s internal organizing components, make it one of the best and versatile 35L packs on the market.

PROPHET 33L
For a pack, the SOG Prophet is one that is adaptable to any purpose. This 33L pack goes from backpack to duffle bag in a snap by stowing the quick-release shoulder straps and hip belt out of the way. Each side of the pack houses lash points for long item carry, compression flaps for keeping the weight of the pack closer to the carrier, and Hypalon MOLLE fields for more external attachment points for extra gear. Accessing the inside main compartment via the Quad-Zip means the once arduous process of finding gear from the bottom of the pack, now doesn’t require unpacking everything on top of it. This pack’s ease of use and functionality make it one of the most versatile packs available.

SCOUT 24L
The SOG Scout brings way more to the table than any other 24L pack in the game. The panel loading main compartment comes fully equipped with multiple interior pockets, a padded laptop sleeve, hydration carry and MOLLE loop field. Accessing the main compartment through the Quad-Zip allows for you to find your gear from the bottom of the pack without unpacking everything on top of it. Any extra gear can be cinched to the pack’s side compression straps, attached to the Hypalon MOLLE field, or held on by the Scout’s unique wire long item carry. The top molded panel allows quick access to smaller items, such as sunglasses or phones. Due to the suspension, a fully loaded pack can be carried comfortably whether going for two or twenty miles.

TOC 20L
The SOG TOC is the ultimate 20L daypack for the urban warrior or forest adventurer. Its light overall weight makes it easy to carry; and the quick- adjust shoulder straps, padded hip belt and rigid suspension keep it comfortable all day long. As the “Tactical Operating Center,” this pack houses plenty of options for storage and organization: the main compartment has multiple interior zippered pockets and small sleeves, the molded top contains a small organizing system for quick access items, two side access pockets live on the front of the pack, and a pass-through side access laptop compartment keeps your notebook safe. Whether you are hopping on the subway or jumping over creeks, the TOC makes a great companion for the modern user all day.

RANGER 12L
The SOG Ranger is no stranger to a trip scouting new trails or a day hike in the local mountains. It’s fast and light, and the quick-adjust shoulder straps, hip belt, and sheet suspension keep it comfortable all day. This pack houses plenty of options for storage and organization: the main compartment has an interior zippered pocket and a padded tablet sleeve, the molded top contains a small organizing system for quick access items, the front organizer pocket with more interior sleeves, and an hydration carry to keep you hydrated. Any extra gear can be cinched to the pack’s side compression straps or attached to the Hypalon MOLLE field. For quick excursions, this 12L pack carries everything you need.

EVAC SLING 18L
For short distance carry, mobility, and quick on-the-run access to all your gear, the SOG EVAC 18L sling pack is the go-to pack. Side pockets allows for easy entry to your laptop, with the main and secondary compartment providing access to all your gear without taking the pack off. Inside the main compartment lives an organization panel for smaller items that may otherwise get lost in the bottom of the pack. The molded top pocket and front organizer pockets gives you even more storage flexibility. This pack’s design allows for rapid deployment and maneuverability of your gear without slowing you down.

Available now through www.sogknives.com, the full line of packs were first introduced at SHOT 2016.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 03:16:30 AM
A small ruck is my first choice, my normal is 1100 cubic inches (Tactical Tailor Removable Operator Pack). The big one is 2500 (SpecOps Brand THE Pack).

Next is a sling pack (Maxped Malaga) or a smaller slung bag (Maxped Jumbo) which I can't tell if it should be classed as a sling bag or a messenger type, as there is no "purse" class.  :facepalm:
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 05:16:25 AM
Has anyone tried a tackle bag with the boxes removed? It's basically a stiffer duffel with more pockets. I may give it a go.

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #38 on: December 19, 2016, 05:12:15 PM
My go to bag is a Duluth Trading organizer, cast iron solid, with lots of pockets.  Call it a purse, I don't care, it holds my stuff.   When there's more to carry I have a vintage British army bag, It was a backpack, but it came without shoulder straps so I took a belt and rigged it as a haversack.  My smaller bag fits inside with room to spare.  For a while I was seduced by the quasi-military appeal of MOLLE bags.  Now days I'm all about doing the job, so my bag is a worker, not a talker.  I keep a small duffle bag in the truck with a change a clothes and toiletries as a overnight bag.

Some one asked what's the difference between sports bags and duffle bags.  Duffle bags as a rule tend to be larger single chamber bags you can throw everything into.   Duffles are popular with militaries because it times of war and government contract, it is more important to make a lot of bags real fast for a lower cost.  With that in mind duffles tend to be made to stand up to a lot wear and tear, canvas or heavy synthetic fabrics are standard, with reinforced stitching and heavy duty hardware.   Duffle bags are like commercial delivery trucks. A good used one will do the job just fine.
   Sports bags have a lot of separate pockets.  They are made mostly of lighter cloth, nylon or polyester, and are of a more disposable nature.   Sports bags are like SUVs.  Lots more things to break, once it starts to wear out get a new one.
  If it's simple, it's a duffle.  If it's complicated, it's a sports bag.  If you can't decide what to call your bag, it's time to get a life.   ::)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:01:53 PM by Scorpion Regent »

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #39 on: December 19, 2016, 05:28:48 PM
Messenger bag for work ( Hazard 4 MOD) and a backpack for everything leisure related.

I've got a couple of very nondescript duffles that I've had for years but I do like my Samsonite hard shell suitcases.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: December 19, 2016, 10:51:05 PM
I've been carrying my Maxpedition Sitka on most of my adventures lately and it has fulfilled pretty much every requirement I've had, although I am still looking for a slightly bigger backpack.

Def

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #41 on: December 19, 2016, 11:12:48 PM
You might be bored to hear, once again:
1. Laptop briefcase for work
2. Sling for leisure
3. Backpack for travel

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #42 on: December 19, 2016, 11:16:36 PM
I've been carrying my Maxpedition Sitka on most of my adventures lately and it has fulfilled pretty much every requirement I've had, although I am still looking for a slightly bigger backpack.

Def

Psst Mystery Ranch  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: December 19, 2016, 11:19:13 PM

Def

Psst Mystery Ranch  :tu:

I'll look into that one, thanks for the suggestion.   :tu:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: December 19, 2016, 11:23:37 PM
You might be bored to hear, once again:
1. Laptop briefcase for work
2. Sling for leisure
3. Backpack for travel

(Image removed from quote.)

That sling bag in the middle looks very similar to the one I bought last year and liked so much I also bought for my nephews.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64468.0.html

I love it and the price was certainly right on it.

Def

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 08:13:17 PM

I usually carry this Invictus Urban (a Brazilian version/copy of the Maxpdt Jumbo Versipack/Vanquest Mobius) with some minimalistic school stuff in there... Need to get a FAK, cordage, batteries, radio etc though

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 09:43:07 PM
I usually carry this Invictus Urban (a Brazilian version/copy of the Maxpdt Jumbo Versipack/Vanquest Mobius) with some minimalistic school stuff in there... Need to get a FAK, cordage, batteries, radio etc though

How long have you had it? What's the quality like compared to the high dollar brands? (I'm assuming it's relatively inexpensive, but I've been wrong before.)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 10:09:39 PM
Backpacks for shopping and carrying my stuff around on a day to day basis
Messenger Bag for the days where I'm a lot on my feet but need to access my stuff constantly (e.g. going to scientific meeting or so)
Sling / Man Purse if I carry less (mostly on holydays)
Pod to organize the gear
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #48 on: February 13, 2017, 10:22:44 PM

How long have you had it? What's the quality like compared to the high dollar brands? (I'm assuming it's relatively inexpensive, but I've been wrong before.)
I have had it for a few months now... I've never really got to see a Maxpedition or Vanquest because they are HELL expensive here in BR, a Vanquest Mobius 2.0 sells for like, over R$ 620 shipped ($200, (original cost shipped is 125.50) if buying from the US (exchange rates! 60% of item value+shipping cost border taxes!) , and are extremely difficult to find in brazilian stores. But it feels quite sturdy for a layperson like me. The only issue I find is the pitch black interior, the strap is kinda undoing just a little after a few rounds of stropping, the strap-adjusting-plastic-thingy-whose-name-in-english-I-don't-know can be kinda annoying sometimes as it presses against my chest, and the strap padding is basically non existant. But I do like it, all in all. The fact that it's small forces me to not use as a dump as well :rofl:
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #49 on: February 28, 2017, 11:19:31 AM
I bought a swiss gear backpack a few years ago, its really well built and will probably last 20+ years. Only thing that annoys me is it tends to lean forward a little when not in use, but no biggie.

I would have voted for fun bags if that was a choice tho  :rofl:

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #50 on: March 26, 2017, 03:54:00 PM
I rotated between an LAPG Bailout bag and an off brand semi  tactical smallish backpack for the last few years I worked. Since I retired 2 years ago I rarely use either. Though the back pack rides in the rear of my SUV loaded with pens, pad, fire starting gear and a change of clothes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44