Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A couple bushcrafting gear questions..

us Offline Clear_Ice

on: March 18, 2016, 02:54:39 AM
Hey guys, I've been making my way into the field of minimalist camping/ bushcrafting in the last year, and have been using a crappy 5x7 tarp as a shelter. Seen here:

What size of a tarp would you guys recommend? I'm probably going to get another cheap tarp for the next few months but going to splurge after that on a nice silnylon tarp. Is 8x10 a good size for just me, or too big?

Also, what do you guys use to sit on in the bush? I seem to have bad luck picking spots to set up camp with solid downed trees for seats ...

Finally, what do you guys use for packs? I'm looking at military surplus rucksacks as a rugged and cheap solution, but haven't pick anything up yet. I don't ever stay in the woods for more than 1 night so I don't need anything huge.. I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks guys and gals!
"Velocitas Eradico"

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:03:57 AM
Tarp size:
That really is up to what you like, and how you use your tarp. The one I use is 3x4m if I rember correctly.

I either sit on a folding styrofoam mat, if I have one with me, but I usually dont on overnight hikes.
On canoe trips I often sit on my life west. Other than that, I usually set up my camp were there is naturally something to sit on, be it a fallen tree, some rocks or just the way the terrain slopes.

I have several packs. A 85litre Norrøna pack for longer heavy carry trips.
A 45 litre Deuter pack for light carry hikes and a ceapo surplus store pack that was of surprisingly good quality.
Surplus military packs can be a good way to start. Just make sure its complete with all straps and fastenings intact. Surplus stores can also be a great source for a lot of cheap gear like canteens, cooksets etc.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:12:51 AM by Grathr »
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Re: A couple bushcrafting gear questions..
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:05:26 AM
I recently watched a video where the guy was using a 10x12 (IIRC) tarp to make a tent with a floor, you might look up and consider that.

Wish I could go that minimalist, but the creepy-crawlies are a major issue as I found out again recently.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:34:33 AM
I'm probably going to get another cheap tarp for the next few months

I read "I'm going to get another cheap tart"  :facepalm: and I was thinking.. hey I need one of those too  :D

Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

hr Offline styx

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 08:39:45 AM
usually tarps that make 1 person quite comfortable start with being 8x8 feet.
as Gathr said, inexpensive mats can be found. or if you have access to an old yoga mat, that can work well for sitting.

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 10:38:00 AM
8x10 is a good size and will give you a lot of options. You will love a Silnylon tarp. Very light weight and pack up very nice and small. Just be careful of embers.
 As far as packs go, I use an old military Alice pack.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 01:24:02 PM
Why not get a small one man bivvy tent.

You can be completely enclosed in a double skin with a sewn in groundsheet and external flysheet. You will be warm and dry and protected from the elements and creepy crawlies.
These things can be picked up for a reasonable price, and can weigh next to nothing - probably not much more than a tarp!

For me a (sealed cell) foam mattress is essential. 
When you sleep in the outdoors all your heat is lost through your contact with the ground - not to the cool air around you - So insulation from the ground is  absolutely necessary. 
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 03:46:20 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Clear_Ice

Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 06:19:29 PM
I think I might just invest in a rollable sleeping pad for both sleeping and sitting. Seems like the best option.

I'd love to get a silnylon tarp now but I wanna try a bigger sized cheap tarp first before I pull the trigger on a nice one. I wanna get the best size figured out in the cheapest way possible haha
"Velocitas Eradico"

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 06:25:44 PM
If it helps, I made my silnylon tarp 9x9. Seems to work out great.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:53 PM
this might help you out as well

http://sectionhiker.com/square-tarp-pitches/

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Clear_Ice

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 11:37:07 PM
Went to Fleet Farm today and bought the following:

Surplus Italian Tactical Backpack, the same as in the link below:
http://store.oldgrouch.biz/itarcamopa.html

Sawyer Mini water filter for some piece of mind and so that I don't have to pack so much dang heavy water

200 feet of paracord so I should be set for a while. I've been using cheap polyester rope for the last year and it's time to quit screwing around! Also got a couple buckles to maybe make a bracelet or two out of the stuff.

Finally, I also purchased a $8 8x10ft camo tarp. Nothing special but I want to try out the size and see how it goes. If it craps out on me right away, I will have learned my lesson haha.

When I hopefully get out this week, I will show all this new gear in action! No time to try it out now, plus it's snowing here anyways  :rant:

Thanks for the comments everyone!
"Velocitas Eradico"

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:56:18 PM
Hope you take some pics!

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 03:25:20 AM
What to sit on so your backside stays dry?  Cheap plastic shower curtains can be had for under $5.00 in stores such as Family Dollar and Big Lots.  You can cut one in half so you can put half under your ground pad for sleeping and half to fold into a square to sit on.

us Offline Clear_Ice

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 04:00:27 AM
What to sit on so your backside stays dry?  Cheap plastic shower curtains can be had for under $5.00 in stores such as Family Dollar and Big Lots.  You can cut one in half so you can put half under your ground pad for sleeping and half to fold into a square to sit on.

I suppose i have a black trash bag i carry anyways... that would work too!  :tu:
"Velocitas Eradico"

us Offline Clear_Ice

Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 05:19:22 AM
While not in-action pictures, here's the picture of the pack and tarp I picked up, along with the rest of my gear besides food:

I'm gonna get out to the woods all day Friday for just a day trip, and packed tonight in anticipation

Thanks for the advice everyone, all I need to find now is a good sleeping bag and foam mat setup!
"Velocitas Eradico"

no Offline Grathr

Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 09:25:24 AM
That looks like a nice setup! :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 01:14:18 PM
Agreed! Very nice!

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Clear_Ice

Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 01:48:46 PM
The pack is pretty stiff and needs to get softened up, but that comes with time and use. I have a lot more room left after filling it with my day stuff, so I should have no issues when I add in overnight stuff.

I probably should pick up a dry sack or two just in case it rains...
"Velocitas Eradico"

no Offline Grathr

Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 01:51:02 PM
You could wax it. That would keep much of the water out.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 05:00:49 PM
While not in-action pictures, here's the picture of the pack and tarp I picked up, along with the rest of my gear besides food:
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I'm gonna get out to the woods all day Friday for just a day trip, and packed tonight in anticipation

Thanks for the advice everyone, all I need to find now is a good sleeping bag and foam mat setup!
C-I those Italian packs are very sought after here in the UK - I know loads of people who are after one (myself included) so well done on finding one!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 05:28:40 PM
The link he provided has them at a reasonable price.  Good looking pack and set up.  Did I miss what you are using for cooking  :think:.  Are you cooking over fire or do you have a small stove?
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 05:37:48 PM
Great kit!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

hr Offline styx

Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 06:00:09 PM
Nice kit. I should probably look for a pack like that as well

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: March 22, 2016, 09:19:10 PM

Back when I did a lot of back country skiing I used to carry the empty bladder from a box of wine for sitting on. You can partially inflate it and it gives a nice cushion to sit on, keeps your behind dry and insulated from the snow or cold ground.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 12:19:11 AM
I see many thru hikers with therm a rest Z seat.  I bet one can find something in the box store that will suffice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Clear_Ice

Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 12:46:01 AM
Grathr- I might try waxing it, what would you recommend using?

Aloha- my cook kit is just a stripped down pot and lid from a Swedish army surplus mess kit. I added a bail to it and I cook over the fire with it. Also, I've been looking at thermarests, they seem nice!

Steve- I'm gonna try and improvise and get a sleeping pad I can fold up for sitting, but your idea is a good one! Besides the fact I would have to buy a box of wine haha

Thanks for the compliments everyone!
"Velocitas Eradico"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 12:57:44 AM
Big advocate of the alcohol stoves.  I have a Trangia which IMO is really good.  I also have a mini stove that runs off mixed fuel canister ( isobutane ).
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 01:35:40 AM
As far a waxing it your rucksack, I use bees' wax.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 09:47:17 AM
Went to Fleet Farm today and bought the following:

Surplus Italian Tactical Backpack, the same as in the link below:
http://store.oldgrouch.biz/itarcamopa.html

Sawyer Mini water filter for some piece of mind and so that I don't have to pack so much dang heavy water

200 feet of paracord so I should be set for a while. I've been using cheap polyester rope for the last year and it's time to quit screwing around! Also got a couple buckles to maybe make a bracelet or two out of the stuff.

Finally, I also purchased a $8 8x10ft camo tarp. Nothing special but I want to try out the size and see how it goes. If it craps out on me right away, I will have learned my lesson haha.

When I hopefully get out this week, I will show all this new gear in action! No time to try it out now, plus it's snowing here anyways  :rant:

Thanks for the comments everyone!
I've emailed that link to see if they would ship to the UK and whether it's not going to bump the cost up more than I can afford. The backpack is a seriously nice one. There's one going on a bushcraft site here for £55.00!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD