Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend a one piece tool

us Offline getahl

Re: Recommend a one piece tool
Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 06:06:00 PM
The scraper on the piranha works well for cleaning gunk out of the fridge! The open ended wrench side is good too.

If you live in a country which has the Imperial system... The metric wrench is less useful, as not open-ended and you can't get as good a grip, but it does work at least
Didn't they make double sided imperial and metric variants in the Pocket Tool X days? My two are PTx vintage, but can't recall the wrench sizes for the life of me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 06:38:35 PM
The scraper on the piranha works well for cleaning gunk out of the fridge! The open ended wrench side is good too.

If you live in a country which has the Imperial system... The metric wrench is less useful, as not open-ended and you can't get as good a grip, but it does work at least
Didn't they make double sided imperial and metric variants in the Pocket Tool X days? My two are PTx vintage, but can't recall the wrench sizes for the life of me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think they did, I would love to get my hands on one that has an open-ended metric wrench set
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 03, 2016, 07:46:09 AM
Just want to put in a good word for the Gerber Shard and my experiences with it. First off all the tools work. Not as good as a stand alone tool but it was never designed as such.
2nd I do a lot of international travel for work and I've leaned out my EDC accordingly based on TSA requirements, perceptions, and accidental donations. The Shard has survived them all. Even the Pocket Wrench (the original!!!!) got confiscated at some point.

So it earned a permanent place in my keychain even though I try not to have too much tool duplication. At less than $5 even if I did lose it wouldn't hurt as much I figure. And yes I have used in the airport or plane on a few occasions. Good tool. If anything I wish they had the XL version.

fr Offline hellsing

Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 01:52:49 PM
pocketwrench FTW! even the chineses knock-off are good, i bought 5 of them and had one in every multitool pouch.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 03:39:19 PM
Ahhh, good to know the copycat version of the pocketwrench works. I've steered clear out of worry. Though I would still probably try to stick with the originals if I can. Just to discourage counterfeits and keep the money within the rightful inventors or patent owners.
No judging, just feel bad for them ya know. 😉

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 06:32:26 PM
Ahhh, good to know the copycat version of the pocketwrench works. I've steered clear out of worry. Though I would still probably try to stick with the originals if I can. Just to discourage counterfeits and keep the money within the rightful inventors or patent owners.
No judging, just feel bad for them ya know. 😉

They don't make it easy to buy the genuine Pocketwrench if you live in Europe and Burktek don't ever answer any emails :-(
"We broke into Mir using a Swiss Army knife. Never leave the planet without one." - Chris Hadfield, Astronaut

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 06:40:09 PM
Agree on no response from Burketek. For what's it's worth last month they said they ran out and gearing up for next production, and pointed me to Lee Valley for purchase. Same answer last year but was told if I could wait a month it would be available at their site so I'm guessing demand is slow.

The international folks seem to have access to things we don't have here in the US so I guess it all evens out. 😂

gb Offline Oxford_Guy

Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 10:01:53 AM
Agree on no response from Burketek. For what's it's worth last month they said they ran out and gearing up for next production, and pointed me to Lee Valley for purchase. Same answer last year but was told if I could wait a month it would be available at their site so I'm guessing demand is slow.

The international folks seem to have access to things we don't have here in the US so I guess it all evens out. 😂

Like Leathermans at almost double the price paid in the US and ridiculous knife laws?  :ahhh

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: December 20, 2016, 10:23:42 AM
For what is worth:  there are apps and websites out there that connect travelers and buyers to deliver stuff. How that works is say I live in Australia, and Grant just happens to plan on taking a vacay there. I arrange for him to buy a Pocket Wrench in the USA and meet him at the Sydney airport to pick up and reimburse him ( or maybe give him money for local postage) along with a small fee for his troubles.

I dont know how they did this but I think the original intent was to deliver medicine. Anyways I can see us MTO folks working out our own arrangement. Just need to start a thread or pool of frequent travelers. Bit of a admin headache but I might join in to partake on the yummy food I can't find over here 😜

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%