Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GSI folding tongs, plastic plates and Light My Fire Sporks

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I've been putting a lot of my camping gear to work lately, and I'm counting it as outdoors cooking, even if it's indoors!

I'm currently in mid-move at the moment, which has lasted a lot longer than it was expected to because of my broken ankle.  I was expecting to be here temporarily to fix up an apartment and rent it out again, and as such I didn't unpack anything.  I was using paper plates and dollar store disposable cutlery along with my Primus LiTech pot and pan set.

Well, I was running out of paper plates and melting through a lot of cheap plastic forks cooking bacon, so I decided to upgrade some of my eating supplies since I'm running out of plates and cutlery.  And, since Mountain Equipment Co-op is on the bus route that stops in front of my house, and traveling to other places is difficult, I decided that was where I would go to get the things I wanted.

The main things I went for are the GSI Pivot Tongs.  I'm not sure how much benefit there is to having them fold in half since they would probably lie pretty flat at the best of times, but so far they work better than the cheapo plastic fork I was using for cooking bacon!  Also, they feel like an actual kitchen implement, not the cheapo flimsy kind of thing that you get for occasional camping use.

What I wanted for a plate was a couple of the Snow Peak Titanium plates but they aren't stocked at my local MEC so I made do with two of the significantly cheaper GSI Cascadian Plates and so far I have eaten breakfast and a couple of Pizza Pockets off them and they don't seem to do too badly.  The lip is significant enough that you could probably eat messier things (like chili- I'll report back after lunch!) off them without a problem, but doesn't seem to get in the way of eating normal things.  I got one green one and one blue one just for variety.

Lastly I picked up a couple of the Light My Fire sporks, although I'm not sure they qualify as sporks since the fork and spoon are at opposite ends rather than being combined.  Anyway, they worked well enough for eating scrambled eggs this morning and ravioli yesterday, but pretty well everyone has one of these anyway, so there's not much point in reviewing them.  If you don't have one or haven't tried them I suggest you get one and give it a shot.  They aren't the greatest out there, but they are very good, and cheap enough that it won't ruin you financially to give it a shot!  :P

That's it for now- I'll post more as my experiences grow.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: GSI folding tongs, plastic plates and Light My Fire Sporks
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:33:56 PM
Those tongs do look good. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:48:54 PM
They do indeed

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 02:22:59 AM
They work remarkably well too.  As I said, just like normal tongs.

And, I found a good use for their foldiness- if I fold one side up I can ose the other side as a spoon for stirring.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 02:29:12 PM
The thongs look like a nice design. :tu:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 05:27:52 AM
The thongs look like a nice design. :tu:

+1 Will look for them the next time I am at an outdoors store or department.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 02:02:59 PM
I've been using them for all my cooking needs since I started this thread and they are still exactly the way they were when I brought them home.  No cracks,  no scratches, no loss of springiness, nothing.

I really like these tongs and I have found a use for the folding part- I fold one side and use the other side to stir stuff in a pot. It's slightly more awkward than a traditional spoon, but not enough for me to bother getting a stirring spoon too.

These tongs are too good to pack away with my camping gear and only be used occasionally.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%