Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I suck at hanging hammer handles.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
I suck at hanging hammer handles.
on: November 26, 2020, 09:30:54 PM
Gonna admit it, I suck at hanging handles.

I've successfully done an axe, grub hoe, and shovel. But hammers are my kryptonite

A did a smaller sledge years ago, and took 2 handles to get it done.

Trying to hang a 10# sledge now. First time I took off too much material at the end of the handle, eye went in too easily for sure.

Second time everything pounded together nicely and even looked good, but I got about an eighth/2mm of movement if I slammed the head on the ground

I don't think I drive the wedge down far enough, and I can't adjust it due to the round metal wedge.

Sticking with flat metal step wedges

Maybe I need some epoxy and a fiberglass handle!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: I suck at hanging hammer handles.
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 05:06:39 AM
The nice thing about working at a hardware store, all the wedges I could ever need for 4$

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 11:45:41 PM
Did you try following up on the round wedge with a same size metal pipe or something like that to drive ut in deeper? Might do the trick. :think: And then you can cut the portion of the handle sticking out with a fine tooth saw or a metal saw. Just a thought.

I personally prefer round wedges as they force the material in all directions, but others might disagree

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 08:07:24 AM
Did you try following up on the round wedge with a same size metal pipe or something like that to drive ut in deeper? Might do the trick. :think: And then you can cut the portion of the handle sticking out with a fine tooth saw or a metal saw. Just a thought.

I personally prefer round wedges as they force the material in all directions, but others might disagree
Yeah I tried tapping it in with the wedge and piece of 1/4" square stock

The tried an impact socket

Then tried a cross-peen punch at 90 degree hits

Couldn't get it to budge!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 08:08:38 AM
New handle is done, it's much tighter

Different install techniques, wood glue this time on the wedge, and a little more patience

Going to let the glue sit overnight before moving on

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 04:37:55 AM
Hope that works for you :salute: If not I would try some 2 part epoxy :cheers: Handle fitting is something that time to get right and practice :salute: I have used the round wedges as well and they work great to me :tu: I have put many hammer handles in over the years as I love old brick hammers and they are usually pretty rough shape when I receive them :D Axes and sledges are a different animal than smaller/regular sized hammers and can be tricky to get right, so don't get discouraged and just keep at it :cheers:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 04:48:30 AM
Hope that works for you :salute: If not I would try some 2 part epoxy :cheers: Handle fitting is something that time to get right and practice :salute: I have used the round wedges as well and they work great to me :tu: I have put many hammer handles in over the years as I love old brick hammers and they are usually pretty rough shape when I receive them :D Axes and sledges are a different animal than smaller/regular sized hammers and can be tricky to get right, so don't get discouraged and just keep at it :cheers:
Long time no see brother!

Epoxy was my next step lol

But this seems to have really held well! I cut it flush and couldn't actually break the wedge from the pieces of the handle

They are wiped with BLO, waiting to get final shots

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 04:54:04 AM
Great to see you as well :cheers: I usually hang out more in the General Tools and Leatherman Forums :salute:

Glad that this worked for you :tu: Can't wait to catch the next pics :like:

:popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44