Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small hand cart for emergency evacuation, bug out, etc.

Aloha · 16 · 1486

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
With SAKguy on fire lookout it got me thinking.  We have wild fires here in SoCal and with the ongoing drought conditions that are never ending now is the time to review my Evacuation Gear. 

I have 2 bags on the ready in the garage.  I also have food and water set aside as part of my set up.  I can easily put everything into my vehicle and get going quickly.  Well once "there" how the heck am I going to carry this stuff?  I see guys with tremendous bags of gear and seriously they are not gonna carry that 100 yards let alone 1 mile.

I have a few small folding carts ( magna, luggage ) that will hold 100lbs.  I've got bungee cord up the wahoo.  Today I was messing around and placed a case of water, food for a week, and 1 bag on the cart.  It was great and easily wheeled around.  This may not work for those heading into the bush.   

Anyone else think they might need a cart to carry evacuation gear?

I'd imagine parking would be a PITA should local and federal agencies direct us to wherever.  Most likely having to wait on line or walk distances to get "checked in". 

The cart for me is an easy way to not have to skimp on essentials.  Case of water is 3 days if you have foods that don't require water to cook. 

Just an idea. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:16:55 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Small hand cart for emergency evacuation, bug out, etc.
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 12:25:11 AM
Case/Cart is a good idea. But it definetly makes you a target.

I don't wanna get too deep, but people tend to get aggressive when food, water, and shelter get trimmed.

Will both bags not fit? What are you sacrificing?

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 12:49:10 AM
I have seen serious preparedness types advocating the big game carts. Some can haul 500lbs over uneven ground.

http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Hauler-Utility-Hunting-Accessories/dp/B00N23DOD2/ref=zg_bs_3413561_5

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 12:54:14 AM
I wouldn't carry water out in the open actually, just testing the capability. 

All things considered I was thinking more about having to lug a bag even at say 20lbs would be a pain.  Last massive evacuation here involved about 1/2 million people to local facilities which provided families with the basics.   

I know full well what unsavory characters did in this area when folks left their homes as well as the inhumane behavior when similar characters saw potential victims.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 12:55:07 AM
I have seen serious preparedness types advocating the big game carts. Some can haul 500lbs over uneven ground.

http://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Hauler-Utility-Hunting-Accessories/dp/B00N23DOD2/ref=zg_bs_3413561_5

WOW.  I was thinking  more grey man approach.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 01:02:04 AM

Maybe mounting a .30 Browning belt fed on tail will discourage looters....  :D

Grey man would be weaning older used clothes, small packs and mostly away from everyone else...  :salute:

- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 01:07:37 AM

Grey man would be weaning older used clothes, small packs and mostly away from everyone else...  :salute:

Now that I like  :salute:.

When we had our evacuations most kept their foods and water in their vehicles.  Those who used the facility for sleeping brought some in as well as their bags.  I saw lots of families weighed down. 

I'd probably car camp to be honest.  I'd toss my camp gear in my vehicle as well if ordered out.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 01:25:04 AM

Now that I like  :salute:.

When we had our evacuations most kept their foods and water in their vehicles.  Those who used the facility for sleeping brought some in as well as their bags.  I saw lots of families weighed down. 

I'd probably car camp to be honest.  I'd toss my camp gear in my vehicle as well if ordered out.

Smart move...maintain some independence.  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 03:01:41 AM
Sounds like a good idea Aloha :tu: Where I am from thankfully we have never had to be evacuated but you never know. I should have a couple or three get away packs and few supplies on the ready but just never have gotten around to it :-\ We do have supplies in case of storms or emergencies where we just ride them out at home though :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 05:19:49 AM
We are prone to wild fire and had 2 with a few years that were pretty devastating.  I rode out the last one at home since I was only under voluntary evacuation. 

With SAKguys fire talk it just got me thinking.  I have those hand carts so no big deal to take them along. 

I really had a good look at how I'd go about evacuating going thru the scenario today.  I'm pretty well sorted in all honesty just more or a mental run thru. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 05:41:26 AM
We are prone to wild fire and had 2 with a few years that were pretty devastating.  I rode out the last one at home since I was only under voluntary evacuation. 

With SAKguys fire talk it just got me thinking.  I have those hand carts so no big deal to take them along. 

I really had a good look at how I'd go about evacuating going thru the scenario today.  I'm pretty well sorted in all honesty just more or a mental run thru.

That's great that you have a plan!  :2tu:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 06:33:28 AM
In part you mentioning it got me running thru the scenario today.  Getting complacent since its been a while is not something I want to do.  It was nice to get the juices flowing and work out some small details and reassure myself that I'm all set. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 06:52:07 AM

That's great that you have a plan!  :2tu:

Agreed! Do you also have basic SOP's worked into your overall plan?
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 07:27:01 AM
I'm so glad you brought up this topic.  You may not realize it but by giving any advanced thought to disaster preparedness you are now a prepper.  I'm a prepper.  I was also a red cross disaster services volunteer and a shelter manager and I never saw anyone come in with more than they could carry.  However, if you're thinking it may be a long march from some distant parking lot to the shelter site I can understand your desire for a cart.  I also have some experience moving heavy kit over uneven ground.

Car camping as opposed to hiking always meant we brought more gear but then had to haul that gear a couple hundred yards to the campsite.  Also as a reenactor I bring stuff to last me a 2 or 3 day weekend but come Sunday night I have had to walk as far as a mile dragging everything back to the participant parking area.  Tried a luggage cart and it was fine until I hit a depression and the whole bungied together stack tipped over.  I bought a cheap, harbor freight wagon (330 pound capacity) and uneven ground was no longer a problem. I have a small car and the wagon doesn't fit in the trunk.  However, I can fit the gear in the trunk and the wagon in the back seat.  You should be able to haul a weeks worth of gear for a stay in a shelter.  After a week you're either going home or you're going to a hotel courtesy of your insurance company, until they can get you sorted out into more permanent accommodations.

If you're thinking about bugging out for some other type of calamity (far reaching as opposed to local) you won't need the wagon.  You need to shelter in place until you have no choice but to leave and by then you should have used up most supplies.  You don't want to get on the road the same time as everyone else and if possible you want to head in the opposite direction as everyone else.  Otherwise you may find yourself stuck on the highway as were the folks evacuating Houston in 2005.  http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/8-years-ago-seemingly-all-of-Houston-evacuated-4839142.php  Now this is applicable only if you're talking about escaping the zombie hordes or the plague or whatever. Obviously, if you are evacuating from a fire you can't evac into the fire and you have to go when and where they tell you to go, but in this case (local, short term disaster) pre-plan your routes and have alternates, and try to leave before the crowds if you can.

So you have two go bags in the garage along with food and water.  You know what else to bring?  People lost everything and showed up to shelters with stupid stuff like pots and pans because they panicked and didn't know what they should bring and how to gather it up quickly.  People, pets, then money, valuables, important documents, photos and memorabilia, and a complete backup of your computer's hard drive on USB thumb drives so you can duplicate your files when the insurance company buys you a new computer.  That's what's important.

Think about what you have to do before they give you 30 minutes to be out of your house.  Don't try to figure it out after the evacuation order is given.  It's too late then.
These should be helpful.

http://www.bepreparedcalifornia.ca.gov/Pages/Home.aspx
http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/Page...essOffice.aspx
http://asmdc.org/issues/disaster/
wagon.jpg
* wagon.jpg (Filesize: 71.12 KB)

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 08:36:00 AM
How often do you see refugees with carts and wheelbarrows?

Never would've though of this but a very valid suggestion.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 03:27:06 PM
How often do you see refugees with carts and wheelbarrows?

Never would've though of this but a very valid suggestion.

You don't often or ever see them with a means to carry essentials.  My thinking was pack my vehicle ( truck w/camper top ) with what I'll need.  If I'm able to car camp then I'd be good to go. 

If unable to car camp then certainly I wouldn't bring all my supplies into that type situation.  I also don't want to carry personal effect on my back either.  Lines and registration can take a while when hoards of people assemble for shelter and services.  I wouldn't be loaded down but why not have the ability to "carry" a few items extra?

This is the cart in question.

@ Alan thank you for a very good response  :salute:.

I do have video and documentaion of my belongings for insurance purpose.   I also have my important documents also saved.  Being able to quickly gather important and personal items is part of my check list and have been accounted for.  Not much of what I own cannot be replaced if lost to disaster.  I moved several years ago and again recently so I got rid of everything that wasn't essential in my life.

In terms of SOP yes each member knows what our plan is.   In 2011 SoCal along with parts of Arizona experienced an 11 hour power failure.  This brought up some areas in our SOP that required attention as well. 

I certainly don't have it "all" worked out but I am confident in our plans and preparations.       

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 03:57:44 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69