Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ways I create combustion

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Ways I create combustion
on: March 23, 2016, 01:46:47 AM
Or how I start fires ;) :D I like fire in general and I like how to start them different ways :tu: I was out Saturday to burn a few boxes and a pile of small pine trees and brush and thought I would bring a few different ways to make fire out ;) This isn't my whole fire kit but nonetheless a fire kit :cheers: I have a fresnel lens a swedish firesteel and a few other similar items that didn't get to come out an play that day but what I did bring out was more than enough to do the job asked of them ;)

Here is my old faithful Zippo that I have had for nearly 18 years (I have several but this is one I personally bought brand new and have had it the whole time) I use a Sack-up to keep the lighter in as they are silicon coated when new and I thought that it might prevent at least some of the evaporation of lighter fluid. Whether this works or not I have no idea but I have been doing it so long that the two seem to just go together now :D

Couple of Bic lighters that I have around the small one rides in my pocket sometimes and the other stays in my truck door :tu:

Next onto my matches. I bought these matches only recently as I was running low on my other box.  Previously I had the red headed strike anywhere matches and they always lite fine but these new greenheaded ones seem to be a little better. I don't know if this is really the case or the other ones were getting a little old :think: The match safe I have had for years and got it at a Army surplus store. It holds matches is all I know :D

Now onto my Blastmatch :2tu: I have only had this for maybe 6 months but I am very pleased with it.  A little tinder or a piece of waded up paper and with this little beauty you have fire :o Since I haven't burnt anything really this year I decided I would use the Blastmatch for the task at hand.  I got a piece of paper and put it under some of the stuff I was going to burn and viola the sparks went flying and fire was made :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

This pic was about midway through after I had burnt the few boxes and the brush pile was already thrown in and I had a very good bed of coals.  It was maybe high forties or low fifties by the time I had the fire to this point and the warmth felt really good :cheers:

us Offline Clear_Ice

Re: Ways I create combustion
Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:38:53 AM
Nice pics! I usually tend to pack way too much fire-making equipment myself when I head out to the woods  :whistle:

I've contemplated getting a blastmatch for a while, and your writing on it makes me really want to get one! Damn, this site is full of enablers haha
"Velocitas Eradico"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 05:14:44 AM
Nice open piece of land to make a fire.  Great selection of combustion tools. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 06:38:53 AM
Good kit Poncho!

Nice pics! I usually tend to pack way too much fire-making equipment myself when I head out to the woods  :whistle:

I've contemplated getting a blastmatch for a while, and your writing on it makes me really want to get one! Damn, this site is full of enablers haha

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.     :whistle:     :D      :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:12:29 PM

Yeah with all the :pok: this and  :twak: that  :D This site has been hard on my bank account over the years ;)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 01:16:02 PM
Nice open piece of land to make a fire.  Great selection of combustion tools.

It is actually in my backyard ::) :D I always burn in that particular spot because the soil is very sandy right there and no grass, so very little chance of it spreading on the ground.  Also we had rain in the forecast for the evening but instead it turned off cold and we got about an inch of snow almost :ahhh I try to always watch weather for incoming rain before I decide to burn.  That pile of brush set for almost a month before I decided to burn it :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 01:16:54 PM
Good kit Poncho!

What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.     :whistle:     :D      :D

Can't see the forest for the trees kinda thing ::) ;) :rofl:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 01:21:22 PM

Yeah with all the :pok: this and  :twak: that  :D This site has been hard on my bank account over the years ;)

On the note of the Blastmatch yes it is a very easy way to start a fire via sparks only :cheers: I have way more consistencies with it over a firesteel :tu: Of course with practice you can get the same with the firesteel but you can do this one handed and with very little effort plus you only have to have it by itself and don't need a separate striker. Even if the plastic broke you still have a substantial firesteel to get sparks from as well if you do have something to use as a striker  :salute:

us Offline Clear_Ice

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:48 PM

On the note of the Blastmatch yes it is a very easy way to start a fire via sparks only :cheers: I have way more consistencies with it over a firesteel :tu: Of course with practice you can get the same with the firesteel but you can do this one handed and with very little effort plus you only have to have it by itself and don't need a separate striker. Even if the plastic broke you still have a substantial firesteel to get sparks from as well if you do have something to use as a striker  :salute:

Perfect, thanks!

Call me a bad person, but when I start a big brush pile, I use a can of diesel and a propane torch and I'm an Eagle Scout haha
"Velocitas Eradico"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 03:14:26 PM

Perfect, thanks!

Call me a bad person, but when I start a big brush pile, I use a can of diesel and a propane torch and I'm an Eagle Scout haha

:o ::) :D

The brush pile I had wasn't that big but big enough for a very good several hour long fire :tu: The pines caught really quick and the boxes helped it along as well :cheers:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 06:52:03 PM
Or how I start fires ;) :D I like fire in general and I like how to start them different ways :tu: I was out Saturday to burn a few boxes and a pile of small pine trees and brush and thought I would bring a few different ways to make fire out ;) This isn't my whole fire kit but nonetheless a fire kit :cheers: I have a fresnel lens a swedish firesteel and a few other similar items that didn't get to come out an play that day but what I did bring out was more than enough to do the job asked of them ;)
(...)

General And!

:salute:

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 09:08:49 PM

:tu: Love seeing fire kit and fire starting pics. Your Zippo lighter looks beautiful  :drool:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 09:21:56 PM

:tu: Love seeing fire kit and fire starting pics. Your Zippo lighter looks beautiful  :drool:

Thank you Sir :salute: Except for a couple smalll tiny dents it looks as good as it did the day I bought it :tu: Hard to believe I have had it that long though :o Didn't realize it until I started counting up the years in my head :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 12:32:28 AM

Yeah I think there are a lot of us that this ^^
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: March 26, 2016, 10:26:13 PM
Well I was gonna try and get some more fire wood from a tree that has fallen in an inconspicuous spot in the yard but couldn't get my stupid chain saw started :rant: That's why I like axes :D no motor :cheers: it is a bit to big of a tree for me to buck into pieces with an axe though ::) :whistle: It is also an oak tree :ahhh So I will have to work on the chain saw and see if I can get it going :( Probably stupid ethanol gas stopping up the carburetor cause it is hard to find anywhere around here that sells pure gas >:( I am gonna put it off until  next week sometime though as I tend to throw mechanical things when I can't get them to start or get them to run :poh: :bnghd: :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 05:07:20 AM
Nice pics mate, badge awarded.   :tu:   :tu:

um Offline adrboy

• Shh! My Multitool senses are tingling!
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 05:18:24 AM

Here is my old faithful Zippo that I have had for nearly 18 years (I have several but this is one I personally bought brand new and have had it the whole time) I use a Sack-up to keep the lighter in as they are silicon coated when new and I thought that it might prevent at least some of the evaporation of lighter fluid. Whether this works or not I have no idea but I have been doing it so long that the two seem to just go together now :D

Couple of Bic lighters that I have around the small one rides in my pocket sometimes and the other stays in my truck door :tu:

Next onto my matches. I bought these matches only recently as I was running low on my other box.  Previously I had the red headed strike anywhere matches and they always lite fine but these new greenheaded ones seem to be a little better. I don't know if this is really the case or the other ones were getting a little old :think: The match safe I have had for years and got it at a Army surplus store. It holds matches is all I know :D

Now onto my Blastmatch :2tu: I have only had this for maybe 6 months but I am very pleased with it.  A little tinder or a piece of waded up paper and with this little beauty you have fire :o Since I haven't burnt anything really this year I decided I would use the Blastmatch for the task at hand.  I got a piece of paper and put it under some of the stuff I was going to burn and viola the sparks went flying and fire was made :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

This pic was about midway through after I had burnt the few boxes and the brush pile was already thrown in and I had a very good bed of coals.  It was maybe high forties or low fifties by the time I had the fire to this point and the warmth felt really good :cheers:

nice :cheers: :cheers:  :worthless:

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 12:57:33 AM
Meh, chlorine and D.O.T brake fluid is far more entertaining and effective

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: March 31, 2016, 09:31:05 PM
Nice pics mate, badge awarded.   :tu:   :tu: