Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Gerber Forum

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: New Gerber Forum
Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 04:14:38 AM
Our inspection dept people all carry Gerber 600's. The blades and tools only get used rarely. The big selling point for them is the one-handed plier access. Nobody else does that as well as Gerber.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #31 on: August 22, 2007, 08:18:06 AM
True that, J-sews.

Most of the actual sheath tools I see here in Alabama are well-worn Gerbers. Leatherman and the others seem to be more common in the backpacks/pockets of the students here.

That matches my observations.

Leatherman seems to be prevalent amongst college students, backpackers, etc.

Gerber seems to be more common amongst tradesmen and ordinary working stiffs.

Marketing and distribution are important, but I think the choice of a multi often comes down to price and perceived value.

Typically, the Gerber multis offer more "bang for the buck" than the Leatherman multis, while giving up a little something in the fit and finish department.

My thoughts exactly.  Comparing Gerber tools to the LM tools is like comparing the AK-47 to the M-16.  Although the LM tools do better in mud than an M-16.

The big reason why Gerber sells so well isn't just cuz of Pete, they also have a big corporation behind them.  The gardening pruners and scissors guys...Fiskers.
-

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #32 on: August 22, 2007, 11:04:23 AM
Even here in the UK If your lucky enough to find a shop that sells knives, odds on It'll be either knockoffs, Victorinox's or Gerber's :)

Almost all the other big players in the multitool world are pretty much internet only, so actually getting your hands on a model before purchase is to all intends impossible for most of us in the UK :cry:

Thats the good thing about forum's like these, they save me money ;D

Doesn't the U.K. have any big outdoor sports stores, like Cabelas, Bass Pro, REI, etc.  Those huge outdoor sports chain stores have proliferated throughout most of the U.S. in the last few decades.  Any large metro area in the U.S. will have at least those three, plus half-a-dozen smaller outdoor stores.

Gun stores and pawn shops offer at least a small selection of multis and knives.  Even department store chains like Target and WalMart, and home improvement stores like Lowes, offer some minimal selection of brand name multis and knives.

Sadly no :cry: there are some individual big camping,diy and outdoor stores and most of them do infact sell vic's and sometimes gerbers, but they are very few and far between and very very expensive :o

I think part of the reason is our weather can be pretty lousy and that deteres most people from the great outdoors over here, which is a shame as it can be a beautiful little corner of the world.

But thanks to the internet there are some bargains to be had, but like I said earlier though you do tend to have to buy blind on account of the fact that you'll never find a multi in the shop to play with first as the UK is a VERY knife unfriendly place now >:(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD