Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Episodes.

Chako · 138 · 61004

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Gerber Episodes.
Reply #120 on: January 03, 2017, 09:55:16 AM
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to do these.   :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #121 on: January 03, 2017, 12:30:40 PM
If nothing else, possibly a good reference thread.  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #122 on: January 05, 2017, 11:31:23 PM
Awesome thread and really nice pictures as always! :like: Now I just want to see you wearing all that gear! The belt stacked with all the sheaths etc. You'd be ready for anything!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #123 on: January 06, 2017, 12:01:25 AM
I may have to nix the swimming part.  :think:

Offline mlw270win

Reply #124 on: March 29, 2018, 12:35:05 AM
Great review of the many different Gerber multitools.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #125 on: May 14, 2018, 08:31:33 PM
Thanks. Every now and then I try to put something big on the site.

id Offline Tri Wibowo Wz

• MT Enthusiast
Reply #126 on: May 16, 2018, 09:43:07 AM
The best Collector Mr. Chako Salute  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #127 on: April 30, 2019, 06:12:19 AM
Episode 74 - Gerber Suspension NXT.

Hard to believe the last time I added anything was back in 2017. I haven't exactly been collecting multi-tools of late, having my interest go in other directions. With that said, I found two Gerber multi-tools at a local store. First up is the Gerber Suspension NXT. Now the original Suspension was a very popular multi-tool that spawned quite a few similar tools. I am uncertain why Gerber called this one a Suspension NXT as it doesn't resemble the older tool in the least. I must say, the older tool was of a higher build quality compared to this newer tool. I can flex the handles in the close position up and down around the pliers pivot point. The whole tool is full of angular sharp edges. The locking tabs have several issues with them. Not only do they stick out way too much and are pointy as all get out, you can push them from side to side. I noted that in my model, when you did that, it jammed the folding tools somewhat. Not cool, and a sure indicator of poor build quality. The tool does feature a belt clip, however, it digs into your hands when the tool is in the closed position. I am happy to say, the tool tightens up in the open position...but all those sharp edges and wiggle detracts from my opinion of a quality tool. It is not all doom and gloom though..as I do tend to like the fold out tools that come with it. No included sheath however is a major let down for myself. It would be great to have another option other than the included belt clip. Mind you, they did include a lanyard hole but oddly made this out of plastic as opposed to stainless steel.

I don't mind the fold out tools in general. That awl is of a rather interesting design. It is more akin to a very sharp box opener than an awl.

The jaws are spring loaded.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #128 on: April 30, 2019, 06:26:20 AM
Episode 75 - Gerber Truss.

Compared to the Gerber Suspension NXT (I guess they didn't want to spell "NEXT"), the Truss is a much better tool in build quality and design. The Truss does not flex as much as the Suspension NXT in the closed position. Better yet, the Truss is rounded in all the right spots to make it a much more comfortable tool to use. With that said, I am finding these new locking push tabs to be a bit sharp and they stick out way too much. So much so that I find them digging into my palms. Much like the previous tool, you also get a bit of plastic in the shape of a lanyard hole on one handle, and a bit of plastic on the other handle to match. Of course, Gerber saw fit to but the Gerber logo on both pieces. Unfortunately, this tool also suffers from locking tabs that can be moved in and out. I am not a big fan of Gerber's new locking tab design and construction. This was much better on the older tools. At least this tool comes with a sheath that can be worn side style or up/down style.

From what I can see, both the Truss and Suspension NXT feature the same pliers head, including the built in spring. From what I can see, I might consider both tools to be in the same family as there are plenty of similar design cues between them, right down to the tool design.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #129 on: April 30, 2019, 07:29:15 AM
Nice additions to your collection, Chako! And nice write up as well. Thank you dor taking the time. :like:

I liked the Truss more than the NXT also, but was kidded about the choice.  :rofl:

I have not noted the lock issue, but have also not thought of trying to push the locks side-to-side. That is definitely a step down from the older Suspension, which is a tough cookie construction wise. I think a lot of the issues come from the fact Gerber wanted to keep the tools relatively inexpensive. I feel they are still quite good at the price points, seeing as they are competitive with Ganzo at the moment.

The NXT rode in my pocket for a while and performed as advertised. But, that said, I had to return(for an exchange) one of the two I bought, because the pliers had an outstanding amount of slop in them and drastically misaligned handles. The one I recieved was a good example with little handle-wobble and a tight pliers head. It went into the collection of course. The one I have designated as a user is a fair example, but has the wobble you mentioned.

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #130 on: April 30, 2019, 11:21:19 AM
I hear you. I am still trying to justify a Gerber Center Drive for my collection. They run around 180 Canadian locally.  :rofl:

us Offline edc yes

Reply #131 on: October 06, 2019, 07:01:02 PM
Thanks, Chako. 'Voluminous' work.
-Craftsman/Sheffield box cutter, color of the day
-NXT700 (700/NXT hybrid)
-The year before last year's portable electronic interface (holster modded)
-Mountainsmith Day Pack, mildly modded

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #132 on: October 24, 2019, 04:30:07 AM
You are welcome. I guess I should update this thread soon with the Center Drive...as I now have one of those in the collection.

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #133 on: November 01, 2019, 10:49:57 AM
Your GERBER collection is so nice Chako , start to like GERGER tools more and more. :like: :cheers:
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #134 on: November 07, 2019, 12:33:47 AM
You are welcome.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #135 on: November 16, 2019, 07:55:01 AM
Chako, thank you very much for all this information.  Truly, I am amazed with all the information you've acquired along with all the tools I didn't even know existed either.   Years ago, I managed to find a Fiskars branded MP600 and if I remember correctly this was the second multi tool I've ever owned.   What is interesting is there is a Gerber bit kit set model number 22-45200 that can be used with the Phillips driver on the MP400, 600, 700 and 800.  Gerber still sells this set, albeit the individual I spoke to at Gerber was generous enough just to send the bit adapter as apparently that isn't sold separately.

Here is a link in case anyone interested via Gerber's website.  https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/equipment/accessories/10-piece-tool-kit-mp400-mp600-mp650-mp700-mp800-45200

This is also interesting with the first generation MP400, the blade had a finger slot with a drop point blade, whereas the "modern" day variation has a nail nick instead as well as a sheep foot blade.  Very handy multi tool due to it's size,  lightweight and one handed operation. 

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #136 on: January 11, 2023, 07:01:46 PM
So Chako have we added anymore to this collection?  There’s a few still left out there now and it’s not in this thread yet :twak: Anyway, I use this thread as a go to for my gerbers. It has also helped ID a few that people were asking about. So get off Facebook and get posting here. (I should take my own advice there)
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #137 on: February 05, 2023, 11:42:48 PM
Well I didn't mean to post again; meant to modify my post from 2019 as that link no longer works.  Also, Gerber more than three years ago Gerber removed all customer service support via telephonically.  Only way to reach customer service is via email and bluntly put response times variate immensely. 

Sometime in 2022, Gerber released a Center Drive version with a gut hook named Gerber Center Drive Rescue.  Below is an archived image as Gerber for whatever reason doesn't keep a list of their products the same way Leatherman wisely does.

http://archive.today/2023.02.05-224814/https://www.gerbergear.com/en-us/shop/multi-tools/all-multi-tools/center-drive-rescue-berry-compliant-sheath-30-001892
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 11:51:53 PM by CarbideCruzer »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD