Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Episodes.

Chako · 138 · 61008

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Gerber Episodes.
Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 04:15:11 AM
Episode 13 - Gerber Diesel

Introduced in 2005, the Gerber Diesel improved slightly on the venerable MP600 design. As such, I have always though of the Gerber Diesel as an updated MP600. Sporting new pivots, and taking a cue from Buck, the handles are stamped with little icons telling you where the various tools reside...at least for the larger tools.

By this stage, Gerber had improved the handle geometry to prevent palm pinch. The new improved pliers helped in this regard somewhat.

The Gerber Diesel came in stainless, black oxide, and camo finishes. My example of a stainless steel Diesel sports two Phillips drivers. Somehow at the factory, the assembler exchanged the large flat head driver for an extra Phillips.

A closer look at the updated cosmetics.

Here is a Camo Diesel. Note the proper tool assortment as opposed to the dual Phillips in the above example.

The Diesel also improved the ergonomics of the locking mechanism.

Despite these updates seen in the Diesel, the MP600 is still a very strong seller. I personally like the Diesel. I find it rattles a little less than the MP600.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #31 on: March 27, 2016, 04:26:08 AM
Episode 14 - Gerber Freehand

Introduced in 2006, the Gerber Freehand took some design cues from the Diesel which preceded it by a year. Those design cues are mostly external, as the Freehand also sported a new and updated plier system that attempted to eliminate palm pinch and keep the tool as compact as possible when closed. This added a rather complex mechanism. It did the job, but it also was prone to failure, as I do recall some folks having issues with the mechanism itself.

The Gerber Freehand is a very BIG multi-tool. It is one of Gerber's largest and heaviest multi-tools ever produced. Note the movement of the locking levers to the sides of the tool.

All tools are outside accessible, which is a big improvement to the Diesel and older multi-tools. Now you could open them up without having to deploy the pliers first. One downfall to the Freehand are the very small secondary tools. For such a large multi-tool, the inclusion of such small tools looks farcical. Worse yet, the reach of them is almost impractical.

Closer look at some of the design features of the Freehand.

The Freehand is a massive multi-tool let down by very small secondary tools. it does build upon the older Diesel, and in some cases, diverges greatly from the MP600/MP400/Diesel form factor.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: March 27, 2016, 04:50:31 AM
Episode 15 - Gerber Flik

The Gerber Flik was introduced one year after the larger Freehand, back in 2007. I view the Freehand and the Flik as members of the same family. Seeing that the Freehand was such a large multi-tool, it was logical for Gerber to come out with a smaller tool. That smaller tool is the same size as the average full size multi-tool. That tool is the Flik.

Much like the Freehand, the Flik also has a very complicated pliers pivot system. When closed, the tool is very compact, or at least more so than the MP600/MP400/Diesel.

Here is a photo of a Flik closed.

pressing the buttons and sliding the pliers forward, the handles are still tightly nested against each other.

Towards the end, the pliers will click to a stop and the handles will wedge themselves apart. This mechanism is complex and a little unique. Much like the Freehand, this complicated mechanism have had some recorded issues in the past. I have yet to see any of these issues in my copies, but just know that the possibility of something going wrong is a possibility, however slight that may be.

Of interest, the Flik is a smaller Freehand in many ways, including the small secondary tools. However, they do not appear to be so comically small in the Flik as they appear in the much larger Freehand.

There is also a Flik Fisherman version that came out in 2009. Much like other Fisherman models in Gerber's colourful history, the Flik Fisherman differs with the specialized pliers head, and the inclusion of a nail-file with hook sharpening groove. Like all other Fisherman models, the pliers do stick out of the tool quite a bit.

Speaking of issues, when I took this photograph, only one side of the complicated pliers mechanism had engaged in the locked position...causing the pliers to be slightly skewed off center. When I attempted to open the tool more, it wouldn't engage until I fully pulled the pliers away from the handles. Not a big issue, but it could be depending on the circumstances.

The regular Flik with saw, and the Fisherman version which replaces the saw for a file.

A close up of the locking mechanism.

And one of the Fisherman pliers sticking out of the body.

A bonus shot for those wondering about the difference in size between the Freehand and the Flik.

The Flik attempted to eliminate all complaints of palm pinch, and did a good job at the expense of having a very complicated pliers pivot system. I have only had little issues such as the photo above illustrates. Much like the Freehand, the secondary tools are small and limited because of that. With all of that said, I like the Flik. If you enjoy mechanical things that just feel good in use, the Flik's opening and closing mechanism is a nice thing to behold and feel.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:28:21 AM by Chako »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: March 27, 2016, 05:02:06 AM
I have a soft spot for the flik. It's a really cool design. Also note it has been officially been discontinued by Gerber this year. The prices are already going up on them. Never had a freehand  it I don't think I would ever need one. Good stuff Chako
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #34 on: March 27, 2016, 06:11:37 AM
I have a soft spot for the flik.

+1  I've enjoyed using mine.  The stubby tools were no problem in regards to the work I did with it.  Maybe I'll dig it out and carry it a bit......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: March 27, 2016, 06:25:39 AM
Episode 16 - Gerber Cool Tool

Acquired by Gerber around 1996 from another company, the Cool Tool was one of the first multi-tools designed to repair bicycles. Here is a news snippet from the Cool Tool's original manufacture from the early 90s.

When Gerber started producing the Cool Tool, they also included a sheath with it. Got to love the slogan "Ride it, wreck it, repair it", and the cool mascot found on the sheath.

For more information, please visit our Multi-tool encyclopedia here...

http://wiki.multitool.org/tiki-index.php?page=Cool+Tool

There were also a few other accessories/related items for the Cool Tool such as (Photos found on internet)...

The Quick Release tool combines the functions of the seatpost clamp quick-release with a 4-5-6mm allen wrench, 14/15ga spoke wrenches, and a 10mm box wrench

and

and

Being a little difficult to find these days, the Cool tool is a cool addition to any collection.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: March 27, 2016, 06:57:10 AM
Episode 17 - Gerber MultiPlier 800 Legend

Introduced in 2000, the Gerber MultiPlier 800 Legend was a departure for Gerber. This is Gerber's first butterfly opening mulit-tool.

Note the side tool lock levers.

The Legend 800 is feature rich, including a removable saw blade, a feature seen on premium Gerber models.

Some design features of the Legend  800.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #37 on: March 27, 2016, 07:09:04 AM
Episode 18 - Gerber MultiPlier Urban Legend 700

The Gerber Urban Legend 700 was released either in 2001 or 2002 by my best guess. It is smaller than the Legend 800, and has some weirdness associated with it that is a bit puzzling. For instance, there is an attached pair of tweezers included in the tool set. You can tell it is the smaller sibling of the Legend 800 as it follows all of the 800's design cues.

You can see the odd attached pair of tweezers.

Looks like a Legend 800 except for more black here and there.

No removable saw blade in the Urban Legend 700.

There was also a special edition Terminator 3 version that features a few cosmetic differences.

The most significant change aside form the colour and handle branding, are the pliers.

Of interest, there was also a T3 MP400 and MP600 produced by Gerber. Seeing as the movie came out in 2003, these T3 Gerbers date to that time.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #38 on: March 27, 2016, 04:29:20 PM
Episode 19 - Gerber Grappler

2010 saw a new model for Gerber, and one that is of some interest. The Grappler has the distinction of being the first and only (to date) locking pliers multi-tool from Gerber.

It is roughly the same size as the Gerber Freehand. This makes the Grappler a BIG tool.

Much of the body is relegated to a single channel that holds the pliers and sliding/locking mechanism. The fold out tools are located on the exterior of this channel. I like to think of these as outboard pods.

There is only one single sliding mechanism as opposed to the standard two seen on the majority of Gerber sliding pliers head designs.

One deployed, the jaws are skewed away from center. You can also see the somewhat difficult to get to adjustment knurl nestled inside the body. I say difficult to get if you have largish fingers.

Taking a design cue from the older Recoil, you get 4 longish folding tools.

Some closer details of the jaw pivot.

Here you can see the design limitations. It would have been better if that knurl could have been larger. There was room actually to do this as the handles are cut out already. Regardless, it is still a functional design that works.

When closed, the whole sliding mechanism mates with a hook on the inside ensuring the tool doesn't open when fully closed.

The Gerber Grappler definitely follows some Gerber design cues from older models. Designed to compete with the much older and more elegant Leatherman Crunch, there just aren't that many locking pliers multi-tools out there. Especially those that fold into a smaller package. For that reason, the Gerber Grappler is a noteworthy multi-tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #39 on: March 27, 2016, 04:53:07 PM
Episode 20 - Gerber Steady

Now for something completely unique in the multi-tool world...or at least as far as I know. The Gerber Steady was introduced in 2012, and is aimed at the picture taking market segment.

How you may wonder is it aimed at the photography world you may ask? The Steady comes with a small camera mount screw on a tiny ball head. There are also two tripod legs that pull out nestled one on each side of the Steady (which lends the tool its name). The third leg of the tripod is the Steady's posterior.

Here, you can see the small camera mounting screw.

I am not a big fan of curved handles, but the Steady didn't cause me any issues...possibly due to the very grippy textured surface. The Steady is a butterfly opening tool and not a sliding pliers design.

The tool selection offers both a large and small knife blade, along with that unique camera mounting screw.

Here is a small video camera mounted onto the Stead with both legs deployed. The green sections are made from a very grippy soft textured rubber.

The side arms fold and are kept there by a slot. To deploy the arms, simply rotate the arm outwards and bend them into position at the hinge.

A closer look at the camera screw and mini ball mount. My first though when I saw the Steady, was the eventual wear and tear on the plastic part that holds the ball mount in place would eventually lead to any device mounted on it to flop around. However, I assume upon closer inspection that there is an adjustment screw to tighten the mount located just behind the ball mount. If that is the case, then you can control the tension, which is a nice feature to ensure your camera or cell phone will remain in position.

On the other side, two folding tools and the two tripod arms.

A good view of the textured surface.

A quirky multi-tool. Now if only Gerber had figured a way to incorporate a selfie stick into the design, just imagine how many more units they would have sold.  :think:  :)

« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 04:55:18 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: March 27, 2016, 05:15:40 PM
Episode 21 - Gerber Myth Archery Tool

Part of the Myth line of hunting gear by Gerber, the Myth Archery Tool is something a little different in the Gerber product lineup. This tool was first introduced in 2013 with product reaching the market towards the later part of 2013 and early 2014.

What also makes the Myth Archery Tool a little unique is the forbearance of a set of pliers for an adjustable wrench. Adjustable wrench multi-tools are not as common as plier based multi-tools.

Because this is aimed squarely at the archer, you do get a few hex keys with a Phillips and flat driver.

On the back side, are two little paddles that when depressed will aid in extracting those Hex keys.

A closer look at that smooth jawed adjustable wrench.

On the back, is a nifty broad head wrench.

The Gerber Myth Archery Tool is a specific tool for a specific market. It is a little unique in the world of multi-tools as it is based around a smooth surfaced adjustable wrench. There are other archery specific tools out there by other companies, and most of them are pliers based.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: March 27, 2016, 05:22:00 PM
Episode 22 - Gerber Myth Shotgun Tool

This squarish tool came out the same time as the Myth Archery Tool. It is also part of the same Myth family, which also contains numerous knife blades, and other hunting accessories. The colour scheme for the Myth series is a muddy brown with a black rubber surface on some parts.

A top view of the back showing the large sliding tool lock lever.

A top view of the bottom. Note the black housing on the left that houses a 1 foot spring retractable measuring tape.

The Myth Shotgun tool does offer a nice sized knife blade, along with a saw, a dis assembly punch pin, and a universal shotgun choke wrench. The tool also has a measuring tape.

Looking at the back of the tool, the measuring tape.

Another Myth product for the hunting market segment, the Shotgun Tool offers a lot in a boxy package.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: March 28, 2016, 03:24:38 AM
Episode 23 - Gerber Eclipse

Gerber's parent company is Fiskars. Fiskars is well known for their scissors. In 2003, Gerber produced a little key-chain scissors based multitool. That model is the Solstice.

The handles rotate around a pivot point. When closed, they physically keep the spring loaded scissors closed. There is also a small circular cutout in the base of the scissors for a keyring.

Note that the blade is stamped Taiwan.

The Eclipse reminds me of several older designs that are larger than this one, but are pliers based and not made by Gerber. This type of design, with rotating handles, is always a little fiddly.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: March 28, 2016, 03:33:30 AM
Episode 24 - Gerber Solstice

The following year, 2004, the Gerber Solstice came out. Now if I thought the Eclipse was fiddly, the Solstice takes that to a whole new level. Much like the Eclipse, the Stolstice's handles rotate around a pivot point. They also keep the spring loaded scissors closed. Opening them is a little tricky as the scissors tend to want to jump open once the handles go past a certain point. Worse yet, there are two extra folding tools that tend to get in the way.

Does this tool resemble Swiss+Tech gear? Yes it most certainly does when looking at that flat and Phillips drivers at the end of each arm.

The two fold out tools are a bottle opener and can opener. They tend to get in the way when trying to deploy the scissors. At least there are ledges inside each handle that prevents these tools from rotating past the horizon...so they will only rotate in one direction from rest. That helps in keeping down the handful that this tool's design represents.

You can use a keyring much like the Eclipse, or you can run a lanyard through that hole in one of the handles.

I have a soft spot for this tool as it was the first Gerber I ever bought. A local store placed these on a clearance shelf. I didn't pay much for it. I gather the Eclipse and Solstice didn't sell very well as there are no successors to this line. However, as we will see in the next episode, the flame didn't die on the scissors based multi-tool...it just took a different form...or should I say, a pair of forms.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:37:14 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: March 28, 2016, 03:40:59 AM
Episode 25 - Gerber Shortcut and Clutch

Introduced in 2005, the Gerber Clutch and Shortcut are keychain sized multi-tools that ushered in a concept at Gerber. The introduction of two models, one with scissors and one with pliers.

The Shortcut is the scissors bearing member of this duo.

For their size, these have a nice feature set.

The Gerber Clutch is the pliers based version of this duo.

Thus the torch of the Eclipse and Solstice was passed onto the Shortcut. However,  you can also get the Clutch...having the option of either pliers or scissors...that made perfect sense.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 03:42:41 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: March 28, 2016, 03:49:01 AM
Episode 26 - Gerber Splice and Vice

The Gerber Shortcut and Clutch held the fort until 2009, when the Gerber Splice and Vice were introduced. These are a little smaller than their predecessors.

My copy of the Splice is pink, but they came in different colours. As you can guess, the Splice bears scissors.

These are spring loaded much like the older Shortcut.

The tool load-out did change. For one thing, the file got a lot smaller and is now the side of the flat Phillips driver. You do gain a serrated blade. The bottle opener is improved via a wider cap lifter (there is also a flat driver affixed to one side of the cap lifter).

The Gerber Vice is the pliers based version.

Not much more to say about these. They are slightly smaller than their predecessor and offer slightly different functionality.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: March 28, 2016, 05:19:49 AM
Another great bunch of reviews Chako :tu: You have been working overtime to have made all of these :o :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: March 28, 2016, 05:38:40 AM
Episode 27 - Gerber Curve

Introduced in 2009, the Gerber Curve is a very small and compact key-chain multi-tool. The Gerber Curve also does not have pliers, much like the older Gerber Multi-Lite.

The Gerber Curve offers a combo bottle opener/carabiner on the tail end, a knife blade, large and small flat head driver, and a Phillips driver. All the tool lock.

Top down view.

And on the other side.

The Curve is very small and wouldn't be a chore to carry on your key-chain.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: March 28, 2016, 05:39:37 AM
Thanks Poncho65, on a short holiday...and this is keeping me busy.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: March 28, 2016, 05:50:24 AM
Episode 28 - Gerber Nautilus

I could not nail the release date of the Gerber Nautilus...so if I had to guess, I would say early to mid 2000's. I am hedging more towards 2003/2004 for a release date from what I could find online.

Irrespective, the Gerber Nautilus is an odder duck from a company that likes to make odd ducks. Called the Nautiolus due to its oddly nautical shape, the tool features a spring loaded LED flashlight. The flashlight has 4 functions. press the button once, and the front LED will light up. Press it a second time and the front will turn off and the bottom LED will light. Press is a third time and both will turn on. Press it a forth time and the bottom will turn off and the front will strobe. Press it once more, and all will shut off.

Someone online called the Nautilus..."the shrimp". I kind of like that.

The backside doesn't have much to see.

The other side is more visual. That button that sticks out on the left top side, released the spring loaded flashlight.

On tap is a nice sized blade, a combo bottle opener/flat head driver, a Phillips driver, and a unique designed pair of Fiskars scissors. Unique in that the handle has a little finger loop. A loop that is too small for my big fingers I may add, but it is visually striking. on the opposite end is the LED flashlight housing.

All the tools lock via these locking levers.

On the opposite end is the LED flashlight release button, and the on/off button on the flashlight housing (blue oval).

The Nautilus is strange. The Curved body is very stylish, but it comes at the cost of comfort, especially with those with big hands. The LED flashlight is ok...but more modern LEDs are far brighter than they are on this now discontinued tool.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: March 28, 2016, 06:00:22 AM
Episode 29 - Gerber Shard and Artifact

Released in 2008, the Gerber Shard is a very nice OPT (One Piece Tool). It offers a Phillips driver, a bottle opener, a lanyard hole, and a mini pry bar/nail puller. The pry bar section is slightly curved for ease of use and practicality.

My copy has multitool.org etched onto the back side.

Next up its the Shards larger cousin, the Artifact. Beyond what the Shard offers, the Artifact also gives you an X-Acto blade which rotates around a pivot point.

The removable blade locks via a liner lock on the body.

Both the Gerber Shard and Artifact are nice little tools. The Artifact is slightly larger than the Shard, but also offers an X-Acto blade.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:02:04 AM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: March 28, 2016, 06:17:24 AM
Episode 30 - Gerber Guardian One Piece Tool

I do not have much on this particular tool other than it came with a small folding knife. I do think the Guardian line is either a Fiskars econo line, or a Gerber econo line. I am not sure which. Either way, it does belong here as it is under the Fiskars company umbrella.

Not much to say about this...so I will let the photo do most of the talking.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #52 on: March 28, 2016, 06:25:23 AM
Episode 31 - Gerber Dime and Gerber Dime Travel

The successor to the Gerber Vice and Splice, the Gerber Dime came out in 2012.

The bottle opener is a little odd in that it sticks out of one end of the multi-tool. it also doubles at a lanyard attachment point.

Unlike the older models, the Dime is offers as only a pliers model. They are spring loaded at that.

The Gerber Dime has the same Phillips/file combo seen in the Vice and Splice. It also offers scissors, a knife blade, flat driver, bottle opener, and a package opening blade.

There is a variation of the Dime, called the Dime Travel.

The Dime Travel exchanges all the not allowed at an airport knife and package blade for a file and hook.

The Dime has had its fair share of quality control issues. On the other hand, the Dime does offer a lot in a small package in regards to packing scissors in such a small package.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: March 28, 2016, 07:57:16 AM
Episode 32 - Gerber Suspension Family

First introduced in 2005, the Gerber Suspension and the tools based on that design represented for a long time, Gerber's value priced line. Many of the models were sold at different stores. In fact, many of these were designed to certain store chain specs. Either way, the Suspension is the forefather of the lineup and is the tool that all the others were based upon. All in this family for the exception of one model, are carbon copies of the Suspension, differing only in the looks of the handles. The Tread is the sole exception...but more on that later.

Gerber Suspension

The Suspension has a bad reputation for its low brow construction, but it was a good seller. It is in fact not that bad at all. You will note the general shape that I consider is the General Chinese multi-tool shape such as those produced by Ganzo. However, the Gerbers feature locking tool sets.

Gerber Method

Released in 2007, the Gerber Method is nothing more than a re-badged Suspension.

Gerber Ripstop

Another Suspension Clone that came out in 2007.

Gerber Evo

You get the picture.

Gerber Resolve

Gerber Crux

There are two variations of the Crux. The regular black version, and a blue which was an exclusive of an American store chain.

Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Multi-tool

Yes, even this is a Suspension in disguise.

Gerber Tread

Of the series, this is the only unique model that differs from the Suspension. The Tread has a built in LED flashlight in one handle which is turned on and off via a sliding switch that mimics the sliding tool lock lever on the other handle.

The Tread has a sheepsfoot blade, a pair of Fiskars scissors, a flat head driver, and Philips driver. The LED flashlight takes up the other handle.

Overall, these aren't that bad. They do have a bad reputation because they represent a no frills basic design, one that is very popular in generic multi-tools the world over. They do suffer from being bulky for their size. They are economical models, but honest ones that offer locking tools...something that most generic multi-tools of the same general shape do not offer.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 07:59:32 AM by Chako »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: March 28, 2016, 10:23:45 AM
Amazing collection there Chako

What do you do with all the boxes and pouches?
All mine are kept in both their pouch and box simply because I wouldn't remember the pouch/model combination  :facepalm:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: March 28, 2016, 01:28:50 PM
I have two separate storage areas. I keep the sheaths mostly in with the boxes, which usually have the model number on them.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #56 on: March 28, 2016, 01:46:01 PM
Wow, Chako has probably surpassed himself with this Gerber Episodes series :salute:

There's a small problem though: almost no-one reads the stickies ::)  :-\
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: March 28, 2016, 02:05:24 PM
Wow, Chako has probably surpassed himself with this Gerber Episodes series :salute:

There's a small problem though: almost no-one reads the stickies ::)  :-\

Have to agree on the sticky point - this is the first time I've ever replied to a thread once it's been made sticky - it's almost like they become invisible!!
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #58 on: March 28, 2016, 02:29:31 PM
Great series of reviews and overviews! Exactly what I wanted to see when I saw your collection in that other topic. Great job!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: March 28, 2016, 06:16:05 PM
Episode 33 - Gerber Strata

First introduced in 2010, the Gerber Strata is a buttery fly opening mulit-tool. This tool is very popular and it does have a lot going for it. However, I have had one issue with this tool that in my mind, makes this a somewhat dangerous tool in a special circumstance. The first time I attempted to close the scissors, I thought I had folded the scissors fully to stow it away, I was a little distracted and the scissors snapped close fooling me into thinking I could then palm the handles closed. I was wrong and nearly punctured my palm. I am in the minority on this, but I think a little re-design would fix this issue. I even created a little video for you to understand what I am saying here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoPB1r2sRaU&feature=youtu.be

Unfortunately, the Bear Grylls model exhibits the same issue. It is rare when such an issue does come up in a multi-tool design that makes it to the public...so to me, this was worthy of notice. On the other hand, plenty of folks have used and loved their Strata with nary an issue. My point is to be just aware of the danger. It is an easy one to mitigate.

The Strata does have nice clean lines.

Removable carbide cutters, and a nice tool load-out rounds out what the Strata has to offer.

The Bear Grylls version is officially called "The Bear Grylls Survival Tool Pack". This is basically a Strata dressed up in BG livery. One thing I do like about the BG version over the Strata, the locking levers use soft rubber which makes them a lot easier to operate without slipping off a finger or thumb. The Bear Grylls Survial Tool Pack comes with a nice soft rubber/hard plastic sheath, a flashlight, and fire-steel.

I do like the Strata. If you are not me, you will be fine for the most part. I mean, the issue I found was due to my inattentiveness. So do not let me dissuade you into getting the Strata.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24