Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Episodes.

Chako · 138 · 61031

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Gerber Episodes.
Reply #60 on: March 28, 2016, 06:24:46 PM
Episode 34 - Gerber Octane

Also introduced in 2010, the Gerber Octane was a new take on the folding pliers design that Gerber is famous for. The Octane definitely looks a lot more modern. It also came in two colours, the red pictured here, and a gray colour. The Octane is also considered a light to medium multi-tool...more along the lines of an MP400.

The Octane comes with a built in pocket clip, and a bottle opener.

The handles and pliers are both curved. The handles are very comfortable and ergonomic. The angled pliers actually makes the tool a little easier to use. You get a nice sized knife blade with a short serrated section, the usual assortment of Phillips and flat drivers, and a small package opening blade.

The Gerber Octane is a neat little and well made multi-tool. I do appreciate the design, and the modernization of the sliding piers category.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:45:09 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: March 28, 2016, 06:42:41 PM
Episode 35 - The Crucial Family

The Gerber Crucial is a butterfly opening multi-tool that came out in 2009. Since that time, there have been various versions introduced.

The Crucial line are compact, but all feature curved handles. This makes using the Crucial a little harder for those with big hands as they tend to want to slide up towards the pliers in use. With that in mind, I have always felt that the Crucial line gained design appeal at the cost of some ergonomics.

The original Crucial is defined by having a folding carabiner.

All Crucial models include a built in pocket clip.

The knife blade features a liner lock, and you get your usual flat and Phillips drivers.

There is also a corkscrew model. Note the slightly different green compared to the one shown above.

And the Crucial Black or Tactical which features a belt cutter.

And in 2011, the Gerber F.A.S.T was introduced. Basically a Crucial with a spring assist knife blade.

Slide that oval switch and gently touch the knife stud and the blade should deploy quickly. To lock it back in, you have to slide the oval switch and manually fold the blade back into the tool.

Because of the spring assembly taking valuable space, the Crucial F.A.S.T does have a different tool load-out consisting of a combo Phillips driver/bottle opener, and a longer flat head driver. Of course the star attraction, the assist knife blade.

The Gerber Crucial has proven to be quite the little family, with different variations produced. It isn't a bad little multi-tool, but I do feel that the curved handles are not very ergonomic for folks with larger hands.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:46:28 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: March 28, 2016, 08:30:32 PM
Episode 36 - Gerber Radius

This tool has the distinction of being one of my first Gerber purchases. It also has the dubious distinction of being my most disliked model from Gerber. That is just a personal opinion however...but I will get into more of that later.

Introduced in 2007, the Gerber Radius is a very largish brutish multi-tool that strikes very high on ergonomics oddly enough with its odd shaped handles. Note how the folded tools open. It is all a bit twisted actually. See, I am trying very hard to be objective here. I did say something nice about the Radius.

The first impression of the Radius is a overly plasticy/rubbery behemoth.

That impression doesn't get better once you open this up. There is metal in there somewhere...it is just buried deep. All you see and feel is rubber and plastic. When you go to put any pressure on the handles, it all sort of bends and flexes quite a bit.

As mentioned before, the tools open off axis from what you usually see on other multi-tools. One side contains a very short and fat knife. The Phillips driver is of a good length.

The other handle offers a combo cap lifter/flat head driver, and a set of Fiskars scissors.

There is some metal in there somewhere.

The Radius is an interesting model that suffers from size and material choice.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: March 28, 2016, 08:41:45 PM
Episode 37 - Gerber Fit Light Tool

Introduced in 2011, the Gerber Fit is an interesting departure from the companies usual fare. That is saying something as Gerber has always been a risk taker in product design. What makes the Fit a little different, the Gerber Fit is a multi-tool flashlight.

The Gerber Fit has very nice sculpting.

You get a combo 1/4" driver/bottle opener with included double ended bit, scissors, a half serrated knife, micro flat and Phillips drivers, and of course the 22 lumen LED flashlight.

Included is a nice little pair of tweezers.

A front shot showing the body design, LED flashlight lens, and on/off button.

The Gerber Fit Light Tool is very interesting. It is ergonomic, and offers nice features in a low power flashlight.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: March 28, 2016, 08:53:58 PM
Episode 38 - Gerber Balance

Introduced in 2012, the Gerber Balance in many ways, is based on the Gerber Fit based on design. I say this as you can see many design cues on the Balance first seen on the Fit. Rounded edges and gentle curves makes for a very ergonomic tool.

The Balance is a sliding pliers design, however, there is only a single centrally mounted sliding pliers mechanism that can be a little fiddly in operation. You have to press the sliding central button to unlock the mechanism. Simply let it go to lock the mechanism as the button is spring loaded.

A side profile view showing the sculpting, much like the Fit Light Tool.

The pliers are a little small for the wide body.

I guess the Balance is called the Balance due to the two matching mini drivers. Included are two double ended bits, scissors, and a half serrated knife blade.

Like the Fit, you get a very similar pair of tweezers.

The Gerber Balance in interesting due to its execution in design. It sure is different from the rest of the Gerber fare with a clear nod to the Fit.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: March 28, 2016, 09:03:23 PM
Episode 39 - Gerber Bullrush

Introduced in 2013, The Gerber Bullrush, in my mind, is the Gerber Crucial successor in many ways.

The handles are made from textured G 10 that offers the hand a lot of purchase.

Note the slight curves handles...which is why I think the designers based this off of the Crucial. Both are butterfly opening multi-tools at that.

The tool selection is somewhat limited to a half serrated knife blade, a belt cutter, a flat head driver, and a Phillips driver.

A side view.

The Gerber Bullrush was designed with first responders and law enforcement in mind. It is a compact multi-tool that offers a few key features in that regard. I still think this is an upscale Crucial, as the designs are very similar.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: March 28, 2016, 09:10:26 PM
Episode 40 - Gerber MP1

Introduced in 2013, the Gerber MP1 is a premium product commanding premium prices. It is touted as a professional tool for professionals. Much like the Bullrush, the MP1 has textures G 10 handles. Both the Bullrush and MP1 share the same design elements.

This is a nice tool, but I have found the driver to be a chore to use as it is off center.

The pliers are spring loaded.

The MP1 offers both a fine and serrated blade, small and large flat driver, utility blade/scraper, pry bar, and bottle opener.

The MP1 is a very nice piece, but it does command a premium when it comes to purchase price. I did find the off center screw driver was not ideal in use.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #67 on: March 28, 2016, 09:45:51 PM
wow, nice job Chako! I love the details you put into these threads, and pictures to match!
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: March 29, 2016, 01:39:02 AM
Episode 41 - Gerber MP1-AR Weapons Multi-tool

A recent product designed to maintain and clean AR rifles for the military. As the name suggests, it is based upon the MP1 design.

The sheath is very nice with two internal compartments. One for the driver bits in their carrier, and the other for the multi-tool. It is MOLLE compliant.

Here is the tool and driver bits. Note the different handle finish as opposed the MP1.

I am somewhat surprised Gerber didn't decide to black out those sliding lock mechanism and the pliers.

Like the MP1, the pliers are spring loaded.

There is a good amount of specialized tools. You get a dental pick carbon scraper, a carbon scraper, trigger assembly pin punch, sight adjustment tool, dis-assembly pin punch, along with a plain and serrated blade, and 1/4" driver with detachable bits.

A closer look at the handles.

The driver is still bent off center.

A closer look at the trigger assembly pin punch. The 4 prong sight adjustment bit is right next to the pin punch.

2 longer driver bits are also included.

This is a nice tool for maintaining and servicing AR weapons. Reminds me somewhat of the Multitasker.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: March 29, 2016, 01:51:16 AM
Episode 42 - Gerber Cable Dawg

Rolled out in 2011, this military tool is the coms tech's best friend. Designed to work on satellite, Fiber optics, and IT cable systems, the Cable Dawg is a rather largish tool.

My copy is the Coyote brown version...which basically denotes the colour of the sheath. Now the Sheath is very nice and of high quality.

Here is the Cable Dawg removed from the sheath. This tool is a handful.

Armed with all sort of useful goodies such as an RJ45 crimper, Cat5 jack cutter, wire strippers, cable/wire cutters, and a combo knife with jacket cutter. There is even a handle that is removable, and the other contains driver bits in a rotational caddy.

The tool unlocked.

And here is an exploded view of what the Cable Dawg has to offer.

A close up of the cutters.

Wire strippers.

The Cable Dawg is a very large and well made tool to assist the communication folks out in the field. It is expensive, and fairly large. In 2012, the RJ45 crimper was improved to be more dependable.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: March 29, 2016, 01:59:04 AM
Episode 43 - Gerber Groundbreaker

Introduced in 2012, the Groundbreaker is a very nice electrician's setup.

The sheath that comes with the Groundbreaker is very nice. There is a paddle section that you slide into your pants and securely holds the sheath in place. It is also quickly removed when needed. There are two front pouches which contain extra utility blades, and a driver bit caddy. There is even a hammer belt loop.

Much like the Cable Dawg, the Groundbreaker is a full sized tool.

Jaws locking level disengaged, the tool is spring loaded.

This tool has two removable handles. One is your utility knife. The other is a driver bit and drywall saw.

A closer look at the jaws of the Groundbreaker.

And of the spring mechanism.

That red piece is your utility blade exchanger mechanism.

The Groundbreaker is a very nice electricians tool. It is big, and feature packed.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: March 29, 2016, 02:06:56 AM
Episode 44 - Gerber Military Relationship

Ever since Gerber went for the USMC contract in the early 90s with the Gerber MPT, Gerber and the US military have had a nice relationship. The black oxide MP600 appears to be the military choice. I do know that you can find various military kits out there, and they usually contain some form of BO MP600 multi-tool. I have a few.

For example, here is a small gun cleaning kit and the larger OTIS cleaning kit. Both contain a BO MP600.

Looking at the smaller kit, there is a separate pouch for the MP600.

On the backside resides an Ontario A.S.E.K.

Another example is the larger OTIS kit.

And last, is a Sapper Pack.

The Sapper kit includes an MP600 DET...no surprise there.

Therefore, it is common to find Gerber BO MP600s inside various military kits and packs.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: March 29, 2016, 02:27:24 AM
Episode 45 - Gerber eFECT

The Gerber eFECT has the distinction of being Gerbers first crack at the AR weapons platform. It came out in 2011.

The tool does not feature a set of Pliers, but it does have 6 tools in a compact form factor. The tool also comes with either a MOLLE or belt compliant sheath.

You have several forms of carbon scrapers, a little nylon brush, a 4 prong sight adjustment tool, a large flat head driver, and a dis-assembly pin punch.

A side profile photo.

The Gerber eFECT is a very small lightweight tool. There is an updated version called the "Gerber eFECT II" with a slightly different tool load-out. The second version contains a bolt scrapper which the original did not have.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: March 29, 2016, 02:49:36 AM
Thanks sLaughterMed  :salute:

us Offline Marcellus

• What does Marcellus Wallace look like?
Reply #74 on: March 30, 2016, 02:52:47 AM
Gerber has Fans and  Critics

But you  got to give it to Gerber for Innovation 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: April 01, 2016, 04:28:46 AM
Thanks for these episodes Chako :salute: I feel as though I know a whole lot more about Gerber now that I have read these :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: April 01, 2016, 05:15:28 PM
You are welcome. Not exactly done yet...just trying to get some free time to add to the list.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: April 03, 2016, 02:58:13 AM
Can't wait to read more :salute:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: April 03, 2016, 06:08:15 PM
 :tu:

Thanks for showing us those tools. So far I only had time to look at the pictures (haven't read anything here yet). Thanks for taking the time :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #79 on: April 20, 2016, 06:38:49 PM
As others I want´t to thank you for all the time and energy put into this thread. Excellent photos. Good read. :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: April 20, 2016, 07:39:04 PM
These episodes are well worth the read :cheers:  They are very good resources if you want to know about Gerber MTs :tu: I have learned quite a deal from this thread and thanks again Chako :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: April 22, 2016, 02:08:59 AM
Thanks. I haven't had the time to add to this thread...planning on doing most of the BG gear as well in the future.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: April 22, 2016, 05:32:40 AM
I am currently working on the Leatherman section on the MT Encyclopedia but when I get that section caught up I thought about moving on to the Gerber section. I was wondering if I could use some of your pics in this thread? I will give credit on these as well, also I will probably have to use a lot of your info as well if that is ok?  :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: April 22, 2016, 12:35:05 PM
No problems. I do not mind members using my photos, etc. I only get a little grumpy when I see my photos being used on other retail sites.  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: April 22, 2016, 02:58:07 PM
No problems. I do not mind members using my photos, etc. I only get a little grumpy when I see my photos being used on other retail sites.  :tu:

I surely appreciate it :cheers: Yeah I would be a bit miffed myself if I saw someone using a pic of mine to sell something as well :D

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #85 on: April 27, 2016, 08:36:52 PM
I was thinking about the two mini-Suspensions.
It would make sense if they came along with the Suspension 2005.
But I see Clutch and Shortcut arrived at that time. Or did they all came at that time ?
:think:

I remember one time maybe around 2010 then, looking to purchase a small Gerber and they were all (Clutch,Shortcut,Vice,Splice and two Mini Suspensions)available here at the same time but in different stores.
I was really puzzled and no one could tell the real difference and that could actually be the reason why I started to lurk around this place. :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: January 02, 2017, 01:28:11 PM
Seeing that it is the new year, and I did promise I would continue with the Bear Grylls Gerber items, it is high time I finish this thread.

I have to say that when I first started this, I was only aiming for the few pliers based multi-tools in the collection. Then one thing happened after another, and before you know it, I was buying more BG items just because. The low point of this collection was my buying the BG tinder box (aka The Cheese Grater). I realized at that point I needed to stop. With all that said, I am still happy that I added what I did. I do have a good selection barring anything overly new that Gerber has added. With that in mind, I am not overly a fan of the BG lineup. There are good and bad things about this product line.

The Good (in my opinion).
- Wonderful tactile grips with the right combination of hard plastic/nylon with soft rubber.
- The colour scheme isn't all that bad. At least you may have a chance to see your dropped item on the forest floor...hopefully.
- Functionality. This is a bit of a mixed bag. Some items are designed better than others. I do dig their survival kits, among other items of this series.

The Bad (in my opinion).
- Over the top branding. Much like SOG, every square inch will bear a Gerber logo and/or the BG logo.
- Questionable quality in some items.
- Very good fakes that saturate the markets out there. Very hard to tell between the fake and a real Gerber at times.
- Does one have to be a Bear Grylls fan to own and use one?

The series started back in 2010 with the collaboration of Bear Grylls and Gerber. At first, Gerber just re-branded/re-badged some common Gerber items with cosmetic stuff, and or changed a little something to make it a BG item. Bear Grylls used to be very common on TV with several "survival"  shows. I haven't seen much of him lately. The lineup is still going strong however, with new items constantly being introduced by Gerber.

Here is an interview with Bear on the subject that you may find interesting...

http://www.oregonlive.com/playbooks-profits/index.ssf/2014/05/bear_grylls_ive_got_a_long-ter.html

:salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: January 02, 2017, 01:35:04 PM
Episode 46 - Gerber Gear Grylls Pocket Tool.

Meet Gerber BG's take on the classic pocket knife. The BG Pocket Tool is all about being boxy, which interestingly enough, gives this tool a lot of comfort and control when using it. Adding to the ergonomics is that wonderful texture.

The BG Pocket Tool features a plain edge (PE) knife, a 3D Phillips driver, a small awl, and a combination cap lifter and flat screwdriver.

DETAILS:

Overall Length: 5.5"
Closed Length: 3.2"
Weight: 2.9 oz.
Steel Type: 5Cr15 Stainless

Note that this knife does not have locking blades, making it legal in more places worldwide.

Overall, it is not that bad of a slip-joint knife.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 01:42:53 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: January 02, 2017, 01:42:12 PM
Episode 47 - Gerber Beary Grylls Grandfather Knife.

This is a bit of an oddity when considering the family characteristics of the Bear Grylls line produced by Gerber. The BG Grandfather knife attempts to strike a balance between a more traditional looking knife and that of the BG series. It looks the part with fancy bolsters (at least for the series). Even the BG logo is somewhat mute and understated. This is the nostalgic knife of the BG series.

Featuring a drop point plain edged knife blade, a corkscrew, combination cap lifter and flat screwdriver, and a combination Phillips driver and nail file.

DETAILS:

Overall Length: 6.50”, 16.5cm
Blade Length: 2.75”, 6.9 cm
Closed Length: 3.75”, 9.5 cm
Weight: 3.5 oz, 99.2 g
Steel Type: 5Cr15Mov
Handle Material: Over-molded TPU Rubber w/stainless steel BG Badge

Overall, I like this little knife simply because it features that nice textured grip and also because it doesn't have that over the top branding.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: January 02, 2017, 01:49:25 PM
Episode 48 - Gerber BG Compact Folding Scout.

This small and handy knife features a drop point partially serrated blade. I wish it did not have the serrations, but I can agree this makes the knife a little better at cutting rope than with a plain edged blade...but at the cost of sharpening difficulties.

Yes, this knife does indeed follow the BG line's propensity of over advertising the series, with not only the handle, but um...er...everything emblazoned with a logo of some sort. What I can say, the knife blade comes factory sharp, the handle features that lovely no slip texture, and the knife is of a size that I find most useful as an EDC item.

DETAILS:

Overall Length: 5.8’’
Closed Length: 3.3’’
Blade Length: 2.5’’
Weight: 0.94 oz.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00