Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MSR stainless plates and bowls

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
MSR stainless plates and bowls
on: March 26, 2016, 04:26:20 PM
I finally got around to getting the plates and bowls I was after a couple of months ago when I bought the plastic plates instead.  We'll,  sort of anyway.  I was actually looking for titanium ones but I still can't find them locally so I got the stainless ones instead.  I got the last plate and the last two bowls the store had.   I'll post pics later but for now, here is what I got.

MSR stainless plate:
http://www.mec.ca/product/4018-077/msr-alpine-plate/?bc=

MSR stainless bowls:
http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-527/msr-nesting-bowl/?bc=

They feel nice and I have more faith in steel than plastic when it comes to outdoor use where small scratches can harbour all kinds of nasty things, especially when hot soapy water is hard to come by.

I'll give more thoughts about them when I've had a chance to use them a bit, provided I'm not killed when I completely forget that they aren't microwave safe!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: MSR stainless plates and bowls
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 05:06:24 PM
Cool, just kinda looks like my magnetic hobby tray/dish, oh and as for killing, don't worry I did that last week so don't feel so bad, but mine was only a twist tie,, :whistle: the best I ever saw was some guy at work way back when, stuck a fast food bag with a burger in the micro, big deal you say, but it was from Wendy's, lol where there wrappers are metal,, needless to say that bag went poof! Something like that I can see forgetting but a plate I don't think so,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:45:38 PM
After an initial wash I have a few observations about these:

1-  with the bowls, one has a hard time not holding one up and saying "please sir, can I have some more?"

2-  being stainless steel they transfer heat like crazy.  Even just washing them I almost burnt my hand when I filled it with scalding hot water.  I suppose that should have been obvious but I guess I have been ruined by double walled Thermos products.

3-  the plate already exhibits some small dents.   It's not enough to affect the use, but since I haven't even eaten anything off it I have to wonder what it's going to look like in a few years.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 02:53:35 PM
I've been using the plate and bowls for all my meals at home since the other day and I am not disappointed.  I had a bowl of chili yesterday and the bowl did get a bit too hot to hold, so I put it on the plate and carried it that way.  It worked well, although I am thinking of using a flat neodymium magnet next time to keep the bowl from sliding on the plate.  There's the benefit of the steel version over the titanium ones I was hoping to get.

While the plate is significantly smaller than the GSI plastic plates I bought for about 1/3 as much, it still managed to hold my breakfast this morning, which consisted of two eggs, scrambled, three slices of bacon and a lot more hash browns than I thought I was making.

When I bought them I thought they were the ultimate solution.  After thinking about it I started to get concerned that they were a waste of money.  After some use, I am actually quite pleased with them again.  Yes they are smaller and cost more than the GSI plastic plates, but they do hold more than enough food, at least for me and I see them lasting more than three times as long as the plastic ones.

There is still the drawback of not being able to put them in a microwave (although they are supposed to be for outdoor living and there are very few portable microwave ovens on the market :P) they do have another benefit over the plastic plates- I can put these in the oven to do things like melt cheese on nachos, which I couldn't do with the GSI plates. 

I like the stainless MSR plate over the plastic GSI plate, so if I had to choose one, that's the one I'd go with.  That being said though, I'm also glad I don't have to make that choice, as they compliment each other nicely.

Def

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 03:41:22 PM
Great post!!! I have been wondering how these were in use!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:51:29 AM
The metal plate served me well again tonight when I made nachos.  I like to put them in the oven for a bit to melt the cheese, but that is not a good idea when your plates are plastic.  However, a metal plate fresh out of a 200 degree oven is a bit toasty to put in your lap to eat in front of the TV.  Enter the plastic GSI plate.

As you can see, the green plastic GSI plate is much larger, but it probably wouldn't have done so well in the oven.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 01:51:43 PM
Here are a couple more times I was glad to have both.

Last night's chili was a bit too hot to hold in a stainless bowl in mt hand or lap, so the plastic plate came in handy, and was large enough to also include a sandwich.

This morning's pancakes were greatly improved by having extra space as well.

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:07:01 AM
Great, now I want pancakes.   :facepalm:   :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30