Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got some new pants..... Tactical pants.

Aloha · 59 · 2667

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Got some new pants..... Tactical pants.
on: April 01, 2016, 11:07:08 PM
When I recently posted a deal that LAPG had on the Maxpedition Fatty I ordered some of their Operator Tactical Pants to try out for work.  I've used Dickies for years and while ok I wanted to try something else. 

I watched snare man and PM101 videos of these pants a while back.  I hesitated because I am not a tacticool person in any way.  I also am not a cargo pant wearer really either. 

Anyway, as I said I ordered the pants and I dig them.  You will have to order the next size up in waist because they do run small.  Length wise they are fine.

I don't wear my pants snug at all and did as instructed by the videos I watched and am happy I did.  Keep that in mind. 

I wasn't going to spend the money for the higher end pants like these and so far after a few days wearing them, I'm happy. 

These will be work pants that allow me to extra room for my note pad, few odds and ends, and cliff bar.  I got my pants pretty fast and again I dig them.  I very well may get a few more colors.  Price was right ($21.99) even tho I've seen these sell cheaper.  Shipping had to be paid at the time I bought mine but check the site there maybe shipping deals. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Got some new pants..... Tactical pants.
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 12:22:23 AM
My everyday pants are the 5.11 Taclite Pro, which cost in the range of $50 shipped.  They are great pants, but it would be nice to have some good ones for half the cost.  So I'll check 'em out. 

:salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 01:30:50 AM
Snare man made a video comparing the LAPG/5.11 and another that I cannot recall. 
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Grathr

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 07:35:19 AM
:worthless:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 08:03:41 AM
I'll snap a pic in the morning  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 05:13:37 PM
Navy and Coyote brown ( darker khaki ). 
IMG_0581 copy.jpg
* IMG_0581 copy.jpg (Filesize: 152.24 KB)
IMG_0582 copy.jpg
* IMG_0582 copy.jpg (Filesize: 120.02 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 08:18:46 PM
I like the Carhartt duck cloth carpenter's pants.  They have lots of pockets but the difference between carpenter's pants and tactical or cargo pants is there are no flaps over the pockets.  I don't care much for the flaps anyway.  I do cut off the hammer loop over the left thigh pockets, though, because it gets in my way.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 02:07:06 AM
I'll have to check those out.  These pants so far have been great.  I don't have anything to compare them to in terms of other tactical pants.  I'm not hating the flaps over the back pockets even with the 2 buttons.  Time will tell tho. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 06:58:19 PM
FOLLOW UP.

I am still loving these pants.  I've had them now for almost a year.  They have seen many washes and a lot of work.  Nothing is wrong with them nor has anything failed on them. 

I meant to order a few more pairs and now having followed up on my thread I will do exactly that.  I do wear jeans to work as well but these pants are really my go to.

I can confidently recommend these pants even for just kicking around in.   

IMG_2275.JPG
* IMG_2275.JPG (Filesize: 301.49 KB)
IMG_2276.JPG
* IMG_2276.JPG (Filesize: 289.67 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 11:44:53 AM
I've been wearing a pair of Tru Spec 24/7 Tactical pants for some time now. Comfortable, durable and the pocket space IS OVER 9000!!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh  :D

http://www.truspec.com/24-7-series/pants/mens-24-7-series-tactical-pants/

:cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 03:22:39 PM
When I switch out of these pants to jeans for work I do miss the pocket space a lot.  I cant see myself wearing these pants full time as I'm more of a Levi kinda guy.  I do however love these for work pants very much and for $22 I think they are awesome. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 11:37:56 PM
FOLLOW UP.

So these pants continue to be great.  No tears, no broken D rings, no zipper issues, no button problems, but there is one thing thats happened on one pair. 

The pants cargo pocket has velcro keeping the pocket closed.  I use both sides every time I wear the pants.  I usually just reach down and pull the flap.  Last wash I noticed the velcro has decided to tear away only on my green pair.  I will sew it back together and honestly it not a big deal. 

These pants continue to impress. 
IMG_3249.JPG
* IMG_3249.JPG (Filesize: 207.55 KB)
IMG_3250.JPG
* IMG_3250.JPG (Filesize: 208.89 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 03:59:59 PM
FOLLOW UP. 

As I get ready for work today I thought to update this thread.  These pants are now 3 years old.  The green pair is showing its age ( fading ) but going strong.  The Blue and Khaki pairs are also going strong.  I'll be sure to post a pic.  These have seen a lot of washes and use.  I am constantly kneeling on a wide variety of surfaces as well as shimmy between stucco/concrete/wood and bushes.  They've been loaded with lots of tools with no problems other than the velcro mentioned earlier.  In the hot an humid summer they are not "sweaty" and in the cool mornings they are fine as well.  I've been soaked by errant sprinklers and they seem to dry fairly well unlike jeans.  I am very happy with these hard working pants and would be at 2X what I paid.  I think with this much use they might very well be my hike pants.  I thought the material would be "hot" but in the years I've worn them this isn't the case. 

I am now wondering how long these pants will survive  :popcorn:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 08:09:13 PM
:like: pockets.  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 08:11:04 PM
 :rofl:

Just realized I'm wearing some 5.11 tact pants.    :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 06:22:39 AM
I am surprise how well I like these type pants.  I can only imagine the more pricey ones would be "nicer".  These are great for work and priced well.  I find I really like pockets too especially in work pants.  I also like pocket in hike pants and the durability earned these a shot.  I'll give my faded green pair the first go at king and see how well they work.  Can't imagine anything but wonderfully.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 07:41:20 AM
I bought two pair of the more expensive ones waaay back, I’m talking like 13-15yrs ago? There was a dumb deal going on and if you bought so much you got something free or something like that so I spent the extra to get a second pair like for free,
Anyway, the two I got not only have a lot of pockets but also a pocket inside the leg that holds the foam padding which was another freebie, and the big reason I got them which the legs unzipped to become shorts, we had a dress code which you could wear jeans but if shorts you had to have khakis, and well they worked, some days it was cool in the morning and blazing in the afternoon, and since inside on a concrete floor kneeling down those knee pads were great! I must say I’ve gotten my use out of them, and there still going strong, some stains but work for me!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 02:40:30 PM
Nice.  It funny, since I mostly wear Levi's I am not overly concerned with pockets however since having these pants I am a convert.  My work pants much have lots of pockets.  I like to carry water bottle or snacks  :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 02:48:05 PM
I used to be a Levi's man, however, now that I carry a cell phone + wallet + EDC crap....some cargo pockets sure are nice.

Still, you'll find me in Levi's 50-60% of the time. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 02:55:07 PM
Those front horizontal cut pockets with D rings are excellent for my SAK or folder and cell.  I thought they'd go unused but they are really nice.  I also like the D rings in the cargo pockets.  My Maxpedition 3x5 note book is perfectly at home in the cargo pocket.  What I also find important are how the belt loops are spaced.  These are great.  I can put my Spirit and fixed blade on my left side close enough without them interfering with each other.  I like to dummy cord my SAK onto the D ring which then slips onto the front pocket.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 02:58:39 PM
I'm starting to envision a whole new line of pants.....new line of everyday wear....

Multitool.org EDC Wear

We've got the pants that fit your carry!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 03:02:01 PM
I'm IN.   :dd:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 04:47:14 PM
Cool! :tu:
I don’t use the lower pockets, heck even my jeans have leg pockets being carpenter design because I like baggy and not leg huggers, although back in the day I had to carry around a work phone and my cargos I was taking about had a unique front pocket up high and they fit the phone perfectly,
Here’s a pic, notice there’s no lower pockets, that’s because if you see the one square spot it’s where the pads go, the other you can see where they zip off, and on the side another zipper to make it easy to get past the boot.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 06:49:13 PM
Nice.  I don't wear shorts for work but those look like great hike pants. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: May 06, 2019, 07:45:18 PM
Yeah, start off chilled, get hot take the legs off, then start to get chilled and zip them back on, no need to take the boots off, here’s a pic of the pads that go in a pouch on the inside of the legs.
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 07:52:18 PM
Here’s my other styles, I like these because of the adjustment on the back, never too loose! They have those buttons on the back pockets, which can be annoying but at the same time great so you don’t lose anything! The other thing I like about most of these pants is how they add that extra fabric not only over the knees but also over the pocket for those clip on pocket knives!
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 04:22:08 PM
Meant to update again at the 4 year mark.  I'm not that far off tho.  I ordered 3 more pair as I think these pants served me very well especially for the price paid.  I took one pair out of work service and willies them around the house.  They are still in good condition tho fading and a re stitch was needed. 

Here is a pic of my 3 news pair along with the original 2.  You can see the fading of the blue ( top left and bottom right ) and some fraying on the lower part of the khaki.  I didn't get Khaki again as those show more grime and staining.  I also didn't get green color again as they seemed to fade a little more ( likely due to me wearing more ) and they also needed the restitch on the rear. 

I cannot express how well these pants held up to daily wear up and down ladders, kneeling on all types of surfaces, wet, between shrubbery, pockets loaded with tools, constant bending, and just overall hard used.  I'd imagine if they were used solely as everyday pants they would last.......  who knows  :dunno:.

I forget if price paid tho I think it was 29.99 US.  I feel this is a great price for a hard use pant.  No jeans for work for me ever again after these pants.   

IMG_0527.jpg
* IMG_0527.jpg (Filesize: 215.72 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 04:38:41 PM
I rather like the look of your LAPG pants; I wear Horace for work, myself, but yours look to be more versatile and a hell of a lot cheaper than the ones I'm issued.  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 04:46:24 PM
Issued are nice  :tu:.  These have been great and if the quality is the same then I cannot imagine anything but another great experience.  I will wear the green pair ( currently wearing actually ) till they fall off in tatters.  I use them for work around the house.  The original blue and khaki I still wear but more so for dirtier work.  The new ones have yet to be incorporated in but once we all get back to work ( prayers for us all ) they will. 

Love the pockets.  I have so many more options than carpenter pants or any other pants I've worn for work.  I was a die hard Dickie fan.  I blew thru quite a lot too.  I then used Dickie carpenter pants which I blew thru as well.  I tried Carhart carpenter jean pants and those were a disappointment especially at $50.

At 4 years with one decommissioned I'm stoked. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 05:09:57 PM
You've had your oldest pants for about as long as I've had my jeans; good pants are hard to come by, but also worth their weight.

Did your cargo pockets have to be opened? I'm still debating about cutting open at least one of my leg pockets. I like how nice they look currently, but pants pocket space is at a premium.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%