Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Squirt S4 vs HX Outdoors keychain multitool

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Leatherman Squirt S4 vs HX Outdoors keychain multitool

Introduction
The Leatherman Squirt S4 was part of the original  Squirt series. The S4 and P4 were introduced in 2002, and the E4 joined forces in 2003. All three were retired in 2010, and were replaced by the PS4 and ES4. The S4 was considered redundant within the scissor-oriented keychain tools, since the Micra, introduced in 1996, is still in production, and the Style CS4 was also introduced in 2010, along with the S4's replacements. Still, the S4 is perfectly capable and not still here.

My S4 was purchased from E-bay, used but in fairly decent condition. Is was definitely used, but has survived quite well. Hopefully you will still be able to judge and compare the two tools as if they were both brand new.

The HX Outdoors was purchased on e-bay, brand new with a sheath, for $14 US, with free shipping. It is, tool for tool, an exact copy of the S4 in every way. Or is it? Let's see.

Dimensions

The HX has a bit thicker backsprings, and is half a mm thicker than the S4, not counting the rivets. Not a deal breaker. Yet.
Almost all tools are of the same thickness on both.

Construction/quality

I will admit that they did a half decent job copying the S4.
The backsprings are too strong for such a small tool. Operating the scissors is a bit uncomfortable.
Retention is good. The only tool that is a bit loose is the Philips driver.
Some tools snap into place, some do not.

The riveting process did not go as planned, and has left the handles riveted at an angle, appearing squished at one side.

The rivets are not smooth. They'll catch on strings or fibers.

Rust has begun developing at the inside of the handles of the HX. Notice the smooth LM handle.

The tools are ok, and if it was your first keychain multitool, it would seem quite good. Let's take a look at the individual tools.

Blade
Both are the same shape and size.
The HX has a longer and deeper nai-nick, so it might be slightly easier to deploy.

The HX's blade is flat ground with a secondary bevel. The S4 is chisel ground.
Chisel grinds are not as favored as flats, but the S4's blade slices like a razor, compared to the HX's blade, which is just decent enough.

Ruler
Same length. The HX's markings are deeper. My S4 was bought used, so I do not know if they wore off with time.

The HX ruler is a bit thinner than the S4, and is a bit bent.

File
Though seemingly the same grit, the S4 one is rougher. The HX is not as rough as it should be for fingernails, which is the primary, if not only, use.
Nail-cleaning tips are both great.

Bottle opener/large flathead
The bottle opener function is equal on both tools. Not the best, but they'll get a bottle open.

The flathead on the S4 is ground more precisely. The HX one is too smooth and rounded.
Wider nail-nick on the HX.

Philips driver
Again, the HX's one is a bit smooth and more rounded at the tip. The tip one the S4 shows signs of wear, but is not bent at all. I do not know how heavily it was used, though. Both get the job done, as long the screw is not too tight.
Nail-nick is wider on the HX. Also, it seems just a hair loose. Not enough to move when shaking the tool, but loose enough to slightly protrude when you snap the tool shut.

Eye glass screwdriver
Same story. HX is rounded.

Tweezers
The S4 tweezers meet to a point. The HX are squared off. Not a big issue, as these are too thin to provide substantial leverage.

The two parts are of unequal length on the HX, making them all but useless.

SwissChamp helped out a bit. It's not too much of a difference in length, but it's tweezers. It's bad enough that they do not meet at a point and are thin.

Scissors
The HX's tips are a bit more rounded, but other than that, same dimensions.

The S4's grind is higher, and more acute. They are considerably sharper.
The S4 can cut tissues, the HX folds it.

Sheath

The HX comes with a small sheath. Velcro closure, average quality stitching. Still, nice touch.

The tool sits snuggly inside, which is why I added a split ring to make extraction easier.

It even has a belt loop. Cute.

Thoughts

Every off-brand and copy you buy makes you appreciate your proper multitools even more.
They look like a bargain, and decent enough in the pictures, so why not...
Only to receive them and realize that the money you spent could have gone towards the real thing.
Then you get the real thing, and compare the two, and wonder what's wrong with you, falling for the cheapos again.

The HX is no exception. It feel solid, and looks quite nice. But once you have an actual S4, you see that the S4 wins. Quality, performance, feel, everything is there. Scissors and blade are the two main tools for this, and both are excellent on the S4. And the other tools are adequate for many tasks. Which is why HX copied the design. Surely people will assume it is equally good but at a lower price, and go for it, like I did.

I do not regret buying the HX tool. I won't be using it much, since it does not cut as well as my Micra or S4, but it will serve as a reminder.

Conclusion

Pros
• No play, solidly (not perfectly) put together.
• Inexpensive, free shipping.
• Comes with sheath.

Cons
• Scissors are not sharp enough to compete with other scissor-oriented multitools.
• Low quality construction compared to most competitors.
• No warranty information.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:57:24 AM by zoidberg »

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Leatherman Squirt S4 vs HX Outdoors keychain multitool
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 02:55:09 AM
oops, quoted myself.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:56:23 AM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 11:48:27 PM
This just proves my belief, which is the best value in the knife/multitool market (except for brands/models that are highly collectible) are used tools. In fact, a used Squirt will typically run in the $14 range on Ebay.  Unless I know its made well, I won't buy any knife or multitool made in China.

Kind of wonder if there are any Leatherman patents being violated here.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:49:29 PM by cody6268 »

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 03:49:50 AM

Very nice write up and comparison  :tu:  Agree about buying a used real thing instead. If I can find a look alike for really really cheap I will buy it to compare like you did, try it around the house a few times and toss it in the cheap and cheerful lot. I rarely carry them to be used.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:27:34 PM
This just proves my belief, which is the best value in the knife/multitool market (except for brands/models that are highly collectible) are used tools. In fact, a used Squirt will typically run in the $14 range on Ebay.  Unless I know its made well, I won't buy any knife or multitool made in China.

Kind of wonder if there are any Leatherman patents being violated here.

True on used tools. There's a lot of deals  if you're patient.

Patents are weird. Different countries have different laws regarding patents, so you could have your product copied to the last detail and still not be able to sue.

au Online ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 12:32:00 PM

Very nice write up and comparison  :tu:  Agree about buying a used real thing instead. If I can find a look alike for really really cheap I will buy it to compare like you did, try it around the house a few times and toss it in the cheap and cheerful lot. I rarely carry them to be used.

Thanks. It took some time to get all those photos, I hope it helps, or at least entertains.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 03:04:59 PM

Thanks. It took some time to get all those photos, I hope it helps, or at least entertains.
Great write up and pictures - thanks for taking the time to do it. Having had a Squirt for a little while, I can attest to their usefulness. In fact I'd still carry mine if I hadn't wanted a Wenger even more!
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD