Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

58mm pen scales?

Xero · 9 · 4607

us Offline Xero

58mm pen scales?
on: April 04, 2016, 02:46:53 AM
I have EDC my minichamp II for probably almost 10 years now, and the little gray plastic pen retractor thing has basically gotten to the point where it's handle is about ready to snap off and doesn't really lock into the slots anymore to keep the pen out. I tried to pull the scale off and superglue the handle bit back on, worked for a little bit, but now i think it's nearly about to snap off again, and my scale is probably not on there as well as it used to be anymore either after messing with it...

needless to say, i think it's time for new scales on my minichamp. I looked around and i can't seem to find the pen scales with the gray plastic insert anywhere. Should I just send it into victorinox? Trying not to be without my EDC - although I think i've got a classic SD coming free with some other stuff I ordered, so maybe that'll hold me over if i do send it off...

I've also learned that they used to have a non-retractable pen on older models, that was later replaced with this retractable mechanism. I'd almost rather that now, since it seems less likely to break. But I imagine you can't get those scales for the old removable pen 58mm models new anymore? Anyone have any idea? I'd be open to any suggestions for replacements in general - though I'd really prefer not to lose the pen...

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Re: 58mm pen scales?
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 03:01:51 AM
I believe that the scale for the removable pen is just a regular 58mm scale, with a special removable pen in the fashion of the toothpick or tweezer
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 03:46:06 AM
I believe that the scale for the removable pen is just a regular 58mm scale, with a special removable pen in the fashion of the toothpick or tweezer

No, it's not. The pen is extended and retracted using a gray slider that protrudes through the edge of the scales, and it's that slider the OP is referring to as on the verge of breaking. There are wide slots for extended and retracted with a thin one between them to allow moving the slider between them. When extended it only protrudes by a half centimeter at the most and the body of the knife becomes the equivalent of a pen barrel.

You're thinking about the very old style of 58 mm size pen, which was removable. That was changed long ago for the retractable design which uses a different pen design that has a back that snaps into the slider. I've got several of the old 58 mm Caddy knives which have the old style removable pen. Just like the new style retractable, that side of the scales is thicker to accommodate the pen which bigger in diameter than the thickness of the tweezers or toothpick. In addition, the slot is not wide enough for tweezers or toothpick. It's obvious when looking at each side which one is designed for the tweezers and which is designed for the pen, and they cannot be interchanged.

See this page in the SAKWiki: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pen

John
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 04:05:25 AM by jalind »
John

us Offline Xero

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 07:39:51 AM
Yup, you pretty much nailed it jalind.

It's a shame the old style removable pen isn't interchangeable with the tweezers / toothpick - as that old style would never break like mine did. I often ended up taking out the pen anyway, so honestly I probably would prefer the old style. I don't think they ever made minichamps in that style, though.

I'm guessing finding those old style removable pen scales new is impossible though? I doubt they make replacements?

I'm sort of leaning towards just trying to replace what I have with the same thing, it lasted 10 years already, if i get another 10 out of a new gray plastic piece, i'd live with that. I still have to either track down the plastic gray piece, or just send it into victorinox and have them deal with it....i've found places to buy the newer style pen scales but i haven't found any place to get those gray inserts that go with them.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 07:59:55 AM
I offered some here:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64839.0.html

Slaughtermed found some locally, so these are still available.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum!

us Offline Xero

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 08:42:58 AM
That is very tempting, though shipping from overseas might not be cheap? (I'm in the USA) i'd have the option to upgrade to LED if I did that....i'd probably want just the red scales.

has anyone dealt with victorinox support before? I might just let them handle it and wait until the classic SD comes to hold me over....this does seem like something they should cover under warranty....it wasn't misused or abused or anything! that plastic is definitely kind of flimsy, surprised this isn't more of a widespread issue....

thanks for the greetings! I totally did just sign up! I have been lurking for a bit though, lots of good info here!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 08:48:50 AM
You are right, shipping cost are teh biggest part of teh sum I´m asking. If you can handle it locally (under warranty possibly) it will be cheaper, I guess.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2016, 05:21:19 PM

No, it's not. The pen is extended and retracted using a gray slider that protrudes through the edge of the scales, and it's that slider the OP is referring to as on the verge of breaking. There are wide slots for extended and retracted with a thin one between them to allow moving the slider between them. When extended it only protrudes by a half centimeter at the most and the body of the knife becomes the equivalent of a pen barrel.

You're thinking about the very old style of 58 mm size pen, which was removable. That was changed long ago for the retractable design which uses a different pen design that has a back that snaps into the slider. I've got several of the old 58 mm Caddy knives which have the old style removable pen. Just like the new style retractable, that side of the scales is thicker to accommodate the pen which bigger in diameter than the thickness of the tweezers or toothpick. In addition, the slot is not wide enough for tweezers or toothpick. It's obvious when looking at each side which one is designed for the tweezers and which is designed for the pen, and they cannot be interchanged.

See this page in the SAKWiki: http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pen

John

He specifically asked about the old style removable pen, so I told him what I (thought I) knew about it :twak:

I've also learned that they used to have a non-retractable pen on older models, that was later replaced with this retractable mechanism. I'd almost rather that now, since it seems less likely to break. But I imagine you can't get those scales for the old removable pen 58mm models new anymore? Anyone have any idea? I'd be open to any suggestions for replacements in general - though I'd really prefer not to lose the pen...

I was totally wrong about the size and shape of the old removable pen scale though. Thats what I get for being an armchair expert on the subject :facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:22:20 PM by sLaughterMed »
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline Tjzm1993

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 01:01:12 AM
Just buy some beat up old signature, manager, or even another minichamp, in the right color, from ebay. Then you have most of the remainder of that 58mm SAK to mess around with if you ever want to experiment with modding them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%