Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wruw :)

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Re: Wruw :)
Reply #240 on: May 05, 2018, 10:48:37 PM
The soft biocompatible underbelly. So wearable.  :tu:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #241 on: May 05, 2018, 10:53:17 PM
Funny how a lot of the watches not made of stainless steel have stainless backs, the INOX carbon, the G Shocks, Ball TI hydrocarbon, etc. If you are sensitive to stainless (or the nickel in it more specifically), the choices get fewer and fewer.  :-\

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #242 on: May 05, 2018, 10:53:37 PM
The soft biocompatible underbelly. So wearable.  :tu:

:2tu:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #243 on: May 05, 2018, 11:20:32 PM
Hamilton Khaki Field Chronograph
H71416147
Valjoux (ETA) 7750

These were part of Hamilton's Khaki line about a decade ago ago. Bought it nine years ago and had to do a bit of searching to find this specific model as there were two different sizes with different dial colors, some with stainless steel bracelets and some with leather straps.

(Image removed from quote.)

John

Oh oh.... I do like that   :gimme:

I would not change a thing on it John.
How is the illumination of the hands?
Funny you should ask . . . just happen to have the photo on file . . . index at the 12 partially covered by the tip on the chrono seconds. Only main time is lumed which is OK with me. Using a chrono complication in the dark is all but impossible. Glad I got it when I did . . . before Hamilton (and Tissot) started using a different and lower cost chrono movement that ETA came up with to reduce cost for Hamilton, Tissot and a couple others.

John

That one is super legible!  :like:  :cheers:

Making me want a Valjoux 7750, I'll find a titanium one eventually.  :)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #244 on: May 05, 2018, 11:57:04 PM
Funny how a lot of the watches not made of stainless steel have stainless backs, the INOX carbon, the G Shocks, Ball TI hydrocarbon, etc. If you are sensitive to stainless (or the nickel in it more specifically), the choices get fewer and fewer.  :-\

Funny you mention that Twiliter.
Had my beach watch on today.

G-Shock G-9100 aka Gulfman...

Swapped the bezel to one from another model (ordered just the part).
I didn't like the red G on the original  :D

There are nicer looking Gulfmans to get if you're interested. With Tough Solar, Multiband 6...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 12:02:03 AM by MTMatt »

us Offline twiliter

Reply #245 on: May 06, 2018, 02:28:32 AM
Thanks Matt!  :cheers:

That's what I'm talkin' about.  :)

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #246 on: May 06, 2018, 03:33:42 AM

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #247 on: May 06, 2018, 09:55:18 AM
Thanks Matt!  :cheers:

That's what I'm talkin' about.  :)

:cheers:
How does the other side of yours look like?  :D

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #248 on: May 06, 2018, 09:59:45 AM

Nice Clown. That's one of my favourites.
I have mine for over 10 years now and never had a problem with it  :tu:
Light, good looking, easy to read, day/date, Solar and actually quite accurate.

Mine could use a new band though  :think:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #249 on: May 06, 2018, 04:56:18 PM

Good to hear!  I've been wearing a Mudman for the last 6 or 7 years and decided to try something new.  I like it a lot but it feels a bit small compared to my G shock.  Does the strap break in some with use?

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #250 on: May 06, 2018, 06:37:26 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #251 on: May 06, 2018, 07:15:20 PM

Good to hear!  I've been wearing a Mudman for the last 6 or 7 years and decided to try something new.  I like it a lot but it feels a bit small compared to my G shock.  Does the strap break in some with use?

It takes form/shape of the wrist. Length wise though it stays as is.
Mine just got dirty. I'll try a good clean run with soap and see.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #252 on: May 06, 2018, 09:04:36 PM

Cool.  I'm thinking I may out a leather NATO on mine.  The hole spacing on the factory strap isn't giving me a great fit.  Wearing it again today though!

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #253 on: May 06, 2018, 11:30:37 PM

Cool.  I'm thinking I may out a leather NATO on mine.  The hole spacing on the factory strap isn't giving me a great fit.  Wearing it again today though!

Nice one! I like the dial. Straightforward and legible flieger style. Everything you need for a good field watch.

The introduction of the Eco-Drive by Citizen in 1995 stepped up the quartz game in the industry as they were the first with solar cells under the dial and had significantly improved storage capacity technology.

Stiffer straps will eventually form to the wrist whether leather, canvas, etc. Break-in time varies. If you don't have the watch box with the pillow or padded metal band it came wrapped around, you can buckle the watch around a short piece of large diameter tube about the same circumference as your wrist when you're not wearing it and that helps speed the break-in by not allowing the strap to be flat.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #254 on: May 06, 2018, 11:32:06 PM

Nice diver!  :tu:  Haven't seen a Deep Blue for a while.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #255 on: May 06, 2018, 11:39:57 PM
Late to the party today . . .

Orient Star Seeker GMT
Orient Caliber 40P53

Upper crown winds, sets date, 24-hour hand and time. Lower crown rotates the inner 24-hour chapter ring. Allows setting three time zones using the 12-hour main time, the small inner ring of 1-24 hour markings and the adjustable 24-hour chapter ring. Lower crown screws down to lock the chapter ring after setting it.

Seconds hand has no lume. Small blip is the power reserve subdial

John
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 11:44:10 PM by jalind »
John

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #256 on: May 07, 2018, 12:09:53 AM

Nice diver!  :tu:  Haven't seen a Deep Blue for a while.

John

Thanks,that is the cheap one too!
I usually wear my Apple Watch just I don't miss emails but on Sunday I sometimes change it up!

us Offline twiliter

Reply #257 on: May 07, 2018, 12:19:37 AM
More nice ones you guys!  :like: :cheers:

Here's a top view Matt, same old watch.  ;)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #258 on: May 07, 2018, 12:32:43 AM

Orient Star Seeker GMT
Orient Caliber 40P53

Upper crown winds, sets date, 24-hour hand and time. Lower crown rotates the inner 24-hour chapter ring. Allows setting three time zones using the 12-hour main time, the small inner ring of 1-24 hour markings and the adjustable 24-hour chapter ring. Lower crown screws down to lock the chapter ring after setting it.

John

I like everything on it John. Black is nice :tu:
I heard the GMT hand only does full hours?
How accurate and reliable is the 40P5x if I may ask?

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #259 on: May 07, 2018, 03:42:36 AM

Orient Star Seeker GMT
Orient Caliber 40P53

John

Set it about 8-10 hours ago and it's perhaps a second or so fast now, which means its beat error is under five seconds per day which is COSC performance. YMMV as there is a some variation in the factory regulating, but the Orient Star line is a step above the standard Orient and they spend more time on them.

GMT hand on the 40Pxx only does one-hour increments. GMT complications with half-hour increments are uncommon. I've got eleven GMT and three World Time watches.

This Orient Voyager Dual Time is the only one I have with half-hour increments, with an Orient 48K41 inside (hacks but no hand-wind; requires the "Seiko Shuffle" to get it going). I discovered its half-hour increments by accident as it's not obvious when setting the second time zone. Orient has used the 48K in a couple of dual-time/GMT but don't know if they're currently doing so. Would have to cruise the Orient watch site to see:

Edit:
Cruised briefly through Orient's global site. Found their new World Time watches under the Orient Star line have a 40H movment inside which allows setting half-hour increments in the World Time ring. The World Time have a 24-hour ring and a city ring, with one in each time zone. The Orient Star World Time watches will be pricey.

John
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 04:57:47 AM by jalind »
John

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #260 on: May 07, 2018, 09:57:19 AM

Wow...  :tu:
Looks like it's build like a tank.
But must be very light, right?
 :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #261 on: May 07, 2018, 10:46:33 AM

Orient Star Seeker GMT
Orient Caliber 40P53

John

Set it about 8-10 hours ago and it's perhaps a second or so fast now, which means its beat error is under five seconds per day which is COSC performance. YMMV as there is a some variation in the factory regulating, but the Orient Star line is a step above the standard Orient and they spend more time on them.

GMT hand on the 40Pxx only does one-hour increments. GMT complications with half-hour increments are uncommon. I've got eleven GMT and three World Time watches.

This Orient Voyager Dual Time is the only one I have with half-hour increments, with an Orient 48K41 inside (hacks but no hand-wind; requires the "Seiko Shuffle" to get it going). I discovered its half-hour increments by accident as it's not obvious when setting the second time zone. Orient has used the 48K in a couple of dual-time/GMT but don't know if they're currently doing so. Would have to cruise the Orient watch site to see:

Edit:
Cruised briefly through Orient's global site. Found their new World Time watches under the Orient Star line have a 40H movment inside which allows setting half-hour increments in the World Time ring. The World Time have a 24-hour ring and a city ring, with one in each time zone. The Orient Star World Time watches will be pricey.

John

Thanks John, makes me liking them even more now  :facepalm:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #262 on: May 07, 2018, 11:57:16 AM

Wow...  :tu:
Looks like it's build like a tank.
But must be very light, right?
 :like:

Vic specs say mine is 96.3g on the paracord strap. The carbon model with paracord is listed at 98.4g, maybe the stainless back makes the carbon version heavier.  :think:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #263 on: May 07, 2018, 02:00:19 PM
Seiko 5 Sports 50th Anniversary "Spacewalk"
Also known as the "Unicorn"
SSA165J1
Seiko Cal. 4R37A

Seiko made this unnumbered limited edition in 2013 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Seiko 5 Sports watches. Mine was made in July 2013. Many don't know what the "5" represents. In 1963, Seiko set down these tenets for the design of their new watch line, the "Seiko 5":

Seiko 5 was created to be a watch whose performance would serve the demanding needs of the 1960s generation, who cared less for tradition and more about life.
The watch has five key attributes:
  • Automatic winding
  • Day/date displayed in a single window - rare at the time.
  • Water resistance
  • Recessed crown at the 4 o’clock position
  • Durable steel case and bracelet
Not all models have had day, but those that did were in the single window. They've also deviated from the crown at "4" with some models, moving it to the "3". From a watchmaker perspective, crown location is arbitrary as related to a typical day/date complication. A simple change of the day and date wheels can move the window in relationship to the crown when transplanting movements.

This one is an homage to their own Spring Drive "bullhead" chronograph Seiko created for space use by Owen Garriot in 2008. Seiko only made 100 of them. If you needed to ask the price, you couldn't afford it. The one Garriot wore auctioned for $45,600 USD by Antiquorum in September 2009. One of the other 100 of them went on ePrey for about $14,000 USD in 2011:

The 50th Anniversary Seiko made in 2013 is much more affordable non-chrono with similar style case housing their 4R37A (variant of the 4R36 family) with the crown moved to the 12 between two "crown guard" shoulders earning it the "Unicorn" nickname. There was a black dial version that went out of stock everywhere very quickly, but I didn't care for it as much as the silver:

Even on its relatively inexpensive watches, Seiko still has small finishing touches like the signed crown.

The case is also curved to match the wrist and elevate the crown above it:

Clasp is typical of Seiko 5 Sports . . .

Has the beacon bright lume Seiko uses:

As part of the 50th Anniversary celebration, Seiko used a seconds hand with a red "5" on the tail.

Was glad I was able to snag one of these when they came out. Searches come up empty-handed finding out of date "orphan" etailer web pages, and others showing "out of stock". They come up on ePrey periodically.

John
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:10:30 PM by jalind »
John

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #264 on: May 07, 2018, 07:37:49 PM
Seiko 5 Sports 50th Anniversary "Spacewalk"
Also known as the "Unicorn"
SSA165J1
Seiko Cal. 4R37A

Seiko made this unnumbered limited edition in 2013 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Seiko 5 Sports watches. Mine was made in July 2013. Many don't know what the "5" represents. In 1963, Seiko set down these tenets for the design of their new watch line, the "Seiko 5":

Seiko 5 was created to be a watch whose performance would serve the demanding needs of the 1960s generation, who cared less for tradition and more about life.
The watch has five key attributes:
  • Automatic winding
  • Day/date displayed in a single window - rare at the time.
  • Water resistance
  • Recessed crown at the 4 o’clock position
  • Durable steel case and bracelet
Not all models have had day, but those that did were in the single window. They've also deviated from the crown at "4" with some models, moving it to the "3". From a watchmaker perspective, crown location is arbitrary as related to a typical day/date complication. A simple change of the day and date wheels can move the window in relationship to the crown when transplanting movements.

This one is an homage to their own Spring Drive "bullhead" chronograph Seiko created for space use by Owen Garriot in 2008. Seiko only made 100 of them. If you needed to ask the price, you couldn't afford it. The one Garriot wore auctioned for $45,600 USD by Antiquorum in September 2009. One of the other 100 of them went on ePrey for about $14,000 USD in 2011:

The 50th Anniversary Seiko made in 2013 is much more affordable non-chrono with similar style case housing their 4R37A (variant of the 4R36 family) with the crown moved to the 12 between two "crown guard" shoulders earning it the "Unicorn" nickname. There was a black dial version that went out of stock everywhere very quickly, but I didn't care for it as much as the silver:

Even on its relatively inexpensive watches, Seiko still has small finishing touches like the signed crown.

The case is also curved to match the wrist and elevate the crown above it:

Clasp is typical of Seiko 5 Sports . . .

Has the beacon bright lume Seiko uses:

As part of the 50th Anniversary celebration, Seiko used a seconds hand with a red "5" on the tail.

Was glad I was able to snag one of these when they came out. Searches come up empty-handed finding out of date "orphan" etailer web pages, and others showing "out of stock". They come up on ePrey periodically.

John

:drool:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #265 on: May 07, 2018, 08:17:16 PM
 :tu:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #266 on: May 08, 2018, 01:33:56 PM
Bulova Kirkwood
63A112; Sellita SW 200-1; 2009

Some time between 2008 and 2009 Bulova started sourcing the movements for these from Sellita, with ETA drawing down on their 2824 family in particular to companies outside the Swatch Group. The open heart Kirkwood is a faux or "desk" diver as it doesn't have a screw down crown and is rated for 100m. The irony is an Accutron tuning fork emblazoned over the open heart mechanical SW200-1 balance wheel.

Lume includes the tuning fork at the 12 and it's bold and bright

John

us Offline twiliter

Reply #267 on: May 08, 2018, 08:43:32 PM
Had to read the Bulova wiki page to understand the irony.  :facepalm:

Cool watch John!  :cheers:

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #268 on: May 09, 2018, 11:21:53 AM
Had to read the Bulova wiki page to understand the irony.  :facepalm:

Cool watch John!  :cheers:
Thanks. It didn't hit me until I'd had the watch for a while and was winding it for wear one morning.

John

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #269 on: May 09, 2018, 12:02:52 PM
Seiko Presage
SARX015; 6R15C; Sep 2013

Had to get this one from a dealer in Japan. IIRC they were JDM (Japan Domestic Market). They are part of the "Spirit" line with a stylized "S" on the crown and a cut above the normal Seiko, the other clue for which is the 6R15 movement inside. Seiko's "Presage" collection is a series of homages of watches Seiko made 40-60 years ago, hence the collection name. Some are more retro looking than others. This one brings back the pinstripe dial style from the early 1970's, in addition to the kind of bracelet commonly found then, although this one has solid links versus the old arm hair pullers with folded sheet metal links.

The "S" crown found on the upscale Seiko, typically JDM models . . .

Lume is surprisingly good for the width of the hands and the size of the dots on the dial. Sliver of light is a reflection of minute hand lume off the seconds hand which has no lume . . .

This is a 1973 Seiko 5 with the excellent cal. 6139 movement that is an excellent example of the basis for the 2013 Presage, albeit this example has a white dial versus the charcoal. Note the crown is inset at the four, and the day/date in a single window, which are part of the original Seiko "5" manifesto. IIRC the small symbol below the jewel count is either the trademark for Seiko's Diashock shock protection or their ant-magnetic trademark.

John

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD