Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher Space Pens

parnass · 361 · 28082

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Fisher Space Pens
on: April 09, 2016, 03:36:39 PM
I am a recent convert to Fisher Space Pens. Shown are a raw brass Bullet, a Telescoping Space Pen, and a Zero Gravity pen.

I wanted a pen that could write at any angle and in low temperatures because I often walk distances outside in the cold.   The Telescoping pen rides in my shirt pocket, the Bullet pen in a jacket, and the Zero Gravity serves at home.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: Fisher Space Pens
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 05:24:00 PM
I just got myself a Chrome Bullet with clip this week. I really wanted it to be able to have a front pocket pen for when I'm not carrying a bag or such. Had some trouble with my local retailer though, for some reason the clip version came without the clip in the box. They were totally super great to work with though and two days later I had the clip too.
2016-04-09 17.22.32.jpg
* 2016-04-09 17.22.32.jpg (Filesize: 183.95 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 10:39:06 PM
I've been a fan of the Bullet for years as it is the only one that has worked whenever I needed it, didn't freeze with long exposure to cold weather and basically everything I've thrown at them. I've tried a number of pens and keep coming back to the Bullet.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 10:57:50 PM
The Bullet pens are cool and compact, but they require two hands to deploy. I’m more of a Cap-O-Matic fan; simple, slim, tough, and one-hand. I especially like the M4B Military/Police in matte black. Carry it on the outside of my EDC bag, tucked into the straps, and it disappears so well that I don't worry about someone swiping it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 11:06:44 PM
I had two bullets, somehow one disappeared. But the one I still have cracked, still works, just when you open it and put the cap on to make it full length you can see the crack. I also have a full length clicky one idk the name of it, i think some military one? But I think there great, some times the ink gets a little clotty, but still great! I just find it funny how we spent so much money to invent a pen that can write in space and yet the Russian just go ahead and use a pencil, lol..
JR
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 11:08:56 PM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 12:54:06 AM
I just find it funny how we spent so much money to invent a pen that can write in space and yet the Russian just go ahead and use a pencil, lol..
That's an urban legend, sorry.  :D  Fact is, a pencil would be a HORRIBLE idea on a spacecraft: imagine how much havoc stray graphite powder would wreak on electronics? :ahhh

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 01:03:23 AM
I just find it funny how we spent so much money to invent a pen that can write in space and yet the Russian just go ahead and use a pencil, lol..
That's an urban legend, sorry.  :D  Fact is, a pencil would be a HORRIBLE idea on a spacecraft: imagine how much havoc stray graphite powder would wreak on electronics? :ahhh
Idk, that's what I was always told.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 01:09:23 AM
From the Fisher Space Pen web site:

"When the astronauts began to fly, like the Russians, they used pencils. But the lead sometimes broke and became a hazard by floating in the capsule's atmosphere where there was no gravity.  It could float into an eye or nose, or cause a short in the thousands of exposed electrical connections in the spacecraft.   Since the fire on Apollo 1, which three Astronauts died, NASA required a writing instrument that would not burn in a 100% oxygen atmosphere."

http://fisherspacepen.com/pages/company-overview

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 01:30:54 AM
From the Fisher Space Pen web site:

"When the astronauts began to fly, like the Russians, they used pencils. But the lead sometimes broke and became a hazard by floating in the capsule's atmosphere where there was no gravity.  It could float into an eye or nose, or cause a short in the thousands of exposed electrical connections in the spacecraft.   Since the fire on Apollo 1, which three Astronauts died, NASA required a writing instrument that would not burn in a 100% oxygen atmosphere."

http://fisherspacepen.com/pages/company-overview

Right. However, Fisher didn't create their pressurized ink pens *for* NASA, the were already selling them; they did happen to be in a good position when NASA wanted a replacement for pencils.

For the same reasons, the Soviets switched to pens of some type as well; heck, they might've just imported Fishers, or as with so many other western inventions, just created their own version.

us Offline Joe58

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 01:44:54 AM
I've used the cheaper Space Tec ones for years and they're a pretty good pen actually for plastic. Not as cool I know but have worked well for me.

I don't think there's a version of the bullet with a clip is there? I like to have a pocket clip.

image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 59.69 KB)
🇨🇭

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 01:53:19 AM
I don't think there's a version of the bullet with a clip is there? I like to have a pocket clip.

IIRC they *all* come with pocket clips, but the classic Bullet that's rounded at both ends is notorious for the clip falling off. There's another variation of the bullet with a squared-off back end, and the clip stays on that one just fine.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 02:13:21 AM
I've also used a space tec pen for the last year or so now and it never lets me down. It's subjected to dirt dust oil and grease often and always works well. They are quite robust and I prefer the clicky type.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 02:40:10 AM
I've used the cheaper Space Tec ones for years and they're a pretty good pen actually for plastic. Not as cool I know but have worked well for me.

I had the black and red one in your picture and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.  The button and ink cartridge used to get stuck at full extension and was virtually useless.  Maybe I got a bad one, but it was so bad I never bothered to try again.  I don't even know where that pen got to- I might have given it away, I might have left it somewhere.... no idea.  I'm just glad it's gone.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Joe58

Reply #13 on: April 10, 2016, 11:36:57 AM
Hmmmm....I never had that experience with the Space Tec Grant. And I've probably 5 or 6 of them around the house and when I still worked the jail, it was my daily pen for 10 years and was used a bunch every day. You may have just gotten a bad one.

I'm going to have to check the Fisher site for others with pocket clips. I always thought the bullet looking ones never had one.
🇨🇭

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2016, 01:09:44 PM
Maybe I'll give them another shot based on your input.  Maybe it was just being outside in harsh weather for extended periods that caused problems?  Or maybe I got a bad one.  Working in a jail is predominantly inside (unless it's a penitentiary and you are on the wall) so that might be the big difference.

The Bullets usually come with a clip on pocket clip, but as mentioned above, the Bullet is tapered and smooth so sometimes they don't hold too well.  That having been said, my first one (a gift from a member back in the SOSAK days) is still going strong and the pocket clip has never fallen off of it.  I must have wedged it on pretty good when I got it....

Def

us Online powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 01:23:28 PM

My usual EDC "emergency" pen - which never gets used - is on the Victorinox Manager.  But when not carrying the Manager, I'll carry a chrome Space Pen.  As I recall, the fine refill is said to be less gloopy than the medium.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 02:46:44 PM
I always use Fisher refills in preference to anything else and use them in my Maxpedition pens :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2016, 03:29:36 PM
I always use Fisher refills in preference to anything else and use them in my Maxpedition pens :)

That's a good way to make any pen a good pen.  :D

Def

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2016, 04:47:09 PM

Ditto. I use 'em wherever they fit.

Personally, I prefer a big, bold blue line. (Old habit from the days of faxes and B&W-only laser printers, mark-up/edits in blue were more obvious compared to the black print.)

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2016, 05:03:09 PM
Have three bullet styles and have had one in my pocket since the 80s.  The brass one was originally a burgundy lacquer. Picture with my Vagabond -

*via Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 05:50:20 PM
IIRC they *all* come with pocket clips, but the classic Bullet that's rounded at both ends is notorious for the clip falling off. There's another variation of the bullet with a squared-off back end, and the clip stays on that one just fine.

To clarify, this is the squared-off one I was talking about:

http://fisherspacepen.com/products/sm400bwcbcl

That one lives clipped inside my wallet. Very handy. And the clip hasn't come off once!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 06:45:21 PM
There are Bullet pen models with and without pocket clips.  I bought a Bullet without a clip because my intention was to carry it deep inside a pocket.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2016, 07:33:04 PM

Ditto. I use 'em wherever they fit.

Personally, I prefer a big, bold blue line. (Old habit from the days of faxes and B&W-only laser printers, mark-up/edits in blue were more obvious compared to the black print.)

I'm much the same with regards to ink color. 

I carry a knock off bullet and have a real one. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 10:17:51 PM
With so much praise for this pen on here I decided to try one for myself and I have never looked back :tu: That has been more than a couple years now :tu: I have the chrome version without a clip and I like it like that because it is just lost in your pocket and unnoticed until you need it  :cheers: I never was one to carry a pen because  there just not comfortable in jean pockets and tend to :pok: I also love how compact it is until you need it then BAM :o you have a full sized pen just like that :D

us Offline Joe58

Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 09:29:59 PM
This thread made me think perhaps a good idea for a sticky would be a list of all then pens that accept the Fisher Space Pen refills?

I know that guys are fond of many different pen types, but would also like the ability to use the Fisher refill.

Or maybe not? Lol.
🇨🇭

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 09:46:08 PM
This thread made me think perhaps a good idea for a sticky would be a list of all then pens that accept the Fisher Space Pen refills?

I know that guys are fond of many different pen types, but would also like the ability to use the Fisher refill.

Or maybe not? Lol.

Well, my Fisher Refills came with an adapter for the Parker standard "G2". I moved one of them into my Parker Jotter, works great.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 11:14:50 PM
The Uniball Power Tank's get good reviews, are pressurized etc, and get good reviews. A lot cheaper too.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/529536/uni-ball-Power-Tank-Retractable-Ballpoint/

I have a Chrome Fisher Bullet. I'd heard they often lost their clips so I wedged mine on there pretty tight (downward pressure on the pen, using the clip as a "stop" on the edge of a Kitchen cabinet). It never came loose.

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 05:06:23 AM
Well, my Fisher Refills came with an adapter for the Parker standard "G2". I moved one of them into my Parker Jotter, works great.

I always loved the ergonomics of the Parkers, but the plastic barrel would *always* end up cracking by the threads.

After hearing lotsa good things about the Stainless Steel version, I got one, and compared to my old ones, it's built *solid*. I'd carry it more, but it's so purty, I'm afraid I'll lose it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 01:16:55 PM

Or maybe not? Lol.

Excellent idea, as I've always wondered that myself.

Def

hu Offline Ulenspiegel

Reply #29 on: May 16, 2016, 02:46:52 PM
I have been using Fisher Space Pens since the '70s. Mainly the CH4 version which looks almost the same as the original one (AG7) used in space.
The Fisher Space Pen PR Catridges all come with a small plastic adapter and can be used in Parker style ballpoint pens.
The Fisher Space U Catridges fit all the multicolor pens.
The Fisher Space C Catridges can be used with Cross type pens.
The Fisher Space PS Catridges fit some of the Paper Mate type Pens.
Victorinox Explorer
Victorinox Classic

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24