Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A smartphone can replace things...but how completely?

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Back story: I might be getting back into collecting old radio sets (or at least tuning in more frequently). While reading up on the history of Radio Shack, I ran across the article linked below:

https://www.trendingbuffalo.com/life/uncle-steves-buffalo/everything-from-1991-radio-shack-ad-now/

The TL;DR version: the author found a bunch of hometown newspapers from 1991, one of which had a Radio Shack ad. He says that his iPhone has replaced 13 of 15 of the items seen in the ad.

My argument is that while a smartphone can replace those items for the most part, most (if not all) of them still have their place, especially in isolated areas or when the power is out. Sometimes I can't always come up with an intelligent and objective counterpoint, and this may be one of those instances.

Tasky and I have discussed this matter at some length. What do y'awl think? How completely can a smartphone replace 15 things that you would have bought at Radio Shack when Operation Desert Storm was in full swing?
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Re: A smartphone can replace things...but how completely?
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 04:24:15 AM
I think the author is stretching a bit.  I’m going to rate these as full (replacement), partial (replacement), or not (a replacement).

All weather personal stereo - partial - You could use certainly use your iPhone to listen to music outside, but if you’re planning to really be out in the rain, a cheaper alternative to your phone might be a more prudent item to risk.

AM/FM clock radio - partial - The iPhone as a clock works fine.  The iPhone as a radio isn’t great IMO, as you’re relying on cellular data and a website or app, not getting true over the air radio signals.

In ear stereo phones - not - The iPhone doesn’t replace these.  They are also available as accessories for the iPhone.

Calculator - full - If the built-in iPhone four-function calculator isn’t enough, there are various free scientific calculator apps available, which provide all the calculator functionality the vast majority of people will ever need.

Computer - partial - Without getting way down in the weeds, iPhone is now capable of performing some of the same functions as a computer, but there are reasons why I have a personal smart phone and a personal laptop, and why I still am issued a work smart phone and work laptop.  The smart phone doesn’t totally replace the computer, at least not yet.

VHS Camcorder - full - Outside of professional camera operators for television stations and the like, pretty much everyone uses their phones or iPads for video recording.

Mobile phone - full - nuff said

CB - not - CBs are still in widespread use, and have not been significantly displaced by smartphones

Speed dial phone - full - nuff said

Deluxe portable CD player - full - If your plan is to listen to music, the iPhone can deliver.

Desktop scanner - partial - There are some pretty decent scanner apps out there (including some that let you search by location), but again you’re relying on cellular data via an app, not actually picking up the over-the-air radio signals.

Phone answerer - full - voicemail

Handheld cassette tape recorder - full - I agree with the author that iPhone voice memos cover this functionality.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 06:48:39 AM
Thanks for that good detailed reply, Nate! :cheers:

My present phone has a 32GB hard drive and a 128GB SD card, for a total of 160GB. However, my last laptop had a 500GB hard drive. So a PC wins out in terms of storage space.

The camcorder is one that I wonder about. Yes, the old VHS camcorder seen in the ad is largely obsolete. However, I feel that a smartphone camera is too limited in its functionality. I like being able to manually adjust the aperture, shutter speed, and focus. Having put some videos on YouTube, I also think editing software for the phone is lacking (though that could be a sign that I need another PC rather than a new recording device).

The land-line is one that is obsolete...for the vast majority of folks. However, I'm sure there are a small number who have erratic and unreliable cell service at their homes, if they have it at all. The land-line may well be the only option they have for telecommunications.
USN 2000-2006

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 09:54:05 AM
Multitools will always do a lot of things, but may not be the best tool to do specific jobs.

I see mobile phones the same, it's great in a pinch, but cannot replace a full PC for many more elaborate tasks. While an iphone might not do all those things you need, other phones do have better support for things like CB radio or Radio tuner for example. It's all a question of the right tool for your needs much in the way not one specific multitool is right for everyone.

On the topic of CD player, my inlaws just replaced their last old desktop PC, and now all they have are laptops, tablets, phones, and AIO PCs, and they've just realized they don't have access to a CDROM anymore... so thus looking for a USB one for those off moments they need to read something...

Smartphones have come a long way, but I'm still not comfortable dumping my PCs just yet.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 12:22:34 PM
I didn't read the article, but in general terms I'd say that what constitutes "replaced" is subjective and depends on how you used those items in the first place.

For many people a modern smartphone could replace a lot of items, and has for many of us, but if you're an advanced user or you're planning for emergencies, dedicated equipment still has its place.

What is definitively the case for most of us, is that a smartphone can very conveniently replace a whole bunch of items for shorter periods i.e. if you're travelling.

(P.S. yeah, l've been away for a while. All good, just life doing its thing.)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 06:08:23 AM
Multitools will always do a lot of things, but may not be the best tool to do specific jobs.

I see mobile phones the same, it's great in a pinch, but cannot replace a full PC for many more elaborate tasks.

If you're an advanced user or you're planning for emergencies, dedicated equipment still has its place.
:iagree: on both counts.
USN 2000-2006

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 02:43:32 PM
It may be splitting hairs, but Whoey did hit on an important point that I was drinking of while reading Nate's post.

A smartphone only replaces a CD player, only in the listening to music part.  I realize I may be dating myself, but if you want to listen to a CD then a smartphone is somewhat limited.

Yes, I can look at what songs are on the CD and probably find them on YouTube Music, Amazon Music, YouTube, Spotify etc and listen to them, but that doesn't work if you are at a club and buying a CD by a local band.

Of course, I don't even know if that is even a thing anymore.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 01:19:46 PM

Yes, I can look at what songs are on the CD and probably find them on YouTube Music, Amazon Music, YouTube, Spotify etc and listen to them, but that doesn't work if you are at a club and buying a CD by a local band.

Of course, I don't even know if that is even a thing anymore.   :facepalm:

Def

It's not. You scan a "QR Code" and it takes you to their songs on the store related to the data theft/reselling company of your choice.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 04:41:18 PM
I guess I am old then. I recall buying tapes at bars.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sos24

A smartphone can replace things...but how completely?
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2023, 07:20:16 AM
I didn't read the article, but in general terms I'd say that what constitutes "replaced" is subjective and depends on how you used those items in the first place.

For many people a modern smartphone could replace a lot of items, and has for many of us, but if you're an advanced user or you're planning for emergencies, dedicated equipment still has its place.

What is definitively the case for most of us, is that a smartphone can very conveniently replace a whole bunch of items for shorter periods i.e. if you're travelling.

(P.S. yeah, l've been away for a while. All good, just life doing its thing.)
Your point is right on target to how I feel. 

A smartphone is great because it can perform many functions, but usually only for a limited time and not as well as dedicated equipment.  So if you are trying to minimize what you carry, a smartphone may make a nice replacement, but keep an eye on the battery.

Here is a scenario that might highlight what can be done but the limitations.  If thinking of the smartphone as a replacement then I could go on a hike using my phone
- For weather updates - I can easily get those before I start my hike and as long as I have cell service I can get alert notifications while hiking
- As a camera, I can take lots of pictures at a pretty good quality
- When I stop for a snack, I can catch up on social media listen music, etc.  All of this will run the battery down, si I better have a method to charge my phone
- Can use it as a GPS, to make sure I keep track of where I am and how to get back.  Although if I am going off-road I better have a specific trail app with associated maps, because most maps readily available are only road maps.
- If I am out after dark, I can use the phone as a flashlight but it isn’t going to really light the path well and I must carry it

Now the real trick is I could do all those functions, but
- Am I actually going to have cell service for those functions requiring it?    Even if I do which isn’t guaranteed, the actual devices would most likely give better reception and functionality.  It comes down to a weight/space vs functionality balance

- How long is the battery going to last doing all that?  You would be surprised how fast the battery decreases when doing multiple functions.  GPS alone will run the phone down in a matter of a couple hours whereas a outdoor GPS is usually designed to last much longer.  A small radio with weather bands will last a long time as well.  Could even get a handheld ham radio with weather bands, which doesn’t require a license to listen to and gives alternative communications emergency.

- Then there is also the concerns of the phone overheating or breaking from dropping or getting wet; which then would result in having nothing? 

None of this takes into account if something unexpected occurs and I am stranded longer than planned or trying to call for help.  If my phone is doing all the other functions, is it actually going to have the battery life to act as a phone in an emergency?

It is all a balance and understanding limits.  Personally, I do like using my phone for many things and always have a power bank for added battery life.  That being said I also still have and use as a flashlight, GPS, and radio when appropriate.  And as a data point, in the recent past, my NOAA weather radio alerted me to storm/flood/tornados before the phone alerts came through.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%