Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher Space Pens

parnass · 361 · 28077

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Re: Fisher Space Pens
Reply #180 on: April 05, 2018, 09:22:23 PM
I used to love Space Pens but last year, I got a run of bad refills.  Write great but they ooze ink if you don't use them for a while.  My last refill seems to be fine but I replaced it with a Sheaffer for EDC.

Sorry to hear that. I think the medium refills can be a nuisance for this but the fine refills seem to be ok. Titanium Nitride today. Forever shining off the finger prints when I should be concentrating in meetings!
IMG_0546.jpg
* IMG_0546.jpg (Filesize: 249.82 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #181 on: April 06, 2018, 08:50:57 AM
I used to love Space Pens but last year, I got a run of bad refills.  Write great but they ooze ink if you don't use them for a while.  My last refill seems to be fine but I replaced it with a Sheaffer for EDC.

Sorry to hear that. I think the medium refills can be a nuisance for this but the fine refills seem to be ok. Titanium Nitride today. Forever shining off the finger prints when I should be concentrating in meetings!

The fine ones have always been ok for me to. I don't like the medium, to me they don't feel right when writing, kind of gritty.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #182 on: April 06, 2018, 03:56:20 PM
I still have not gone back to my Fisher pen.  The refills IMO are not what I've read about.  I have not tried to fine ones and might but at this point I can get a pen cheap that does what I need.  Maybe not as compact but reliable. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #183 on: April 09, 2018, 08:20:19 AM
Another day another Fisher bullet. Black Ti Nitride on duty today with my 84mm Waiter  :salute:
IMG_0564.jpg
* IMG_0564.jpg (Filesize: 272.15 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #184 on: April 27, 2018, 12:41:46 AM
I had a bullet break on me recently while uncapping it. I somehow pulled the "grip" off of the brass connecting thread. I have no doubt I'll be able to fix it with some epoxy and some tapping but coupled with a recent resurging preference for gel ink (and the Parker rollerball) it has left the bullet out of rotation.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #185 on: May 11, 2018, 08:21:31 PM
Purple Passion space pen today plus MTo SAK

.... "so fit the best".... :D
IMG_0627.jpg
* IMG_0627.jpg (Filesize: 496.3 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

Offline lew

Reply #186 on: May 14, 2018, 04:13:43 PM

Found my old one and got a new refill.  It writes great and doesn't leak.  Back in the rotation for now.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #187 on: May 14, 2018, 11:06:29 PM

Found my old one and got a new refill.  It writes great and doesn't leak.  Back in the rotation for now.

:cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #188 on: May 19, 2018, 11:28:32 PM
Here's my bullet. Probably 2-3 years old, but not carried much.

Definitely a good size for pocket edc
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 11:34:07 PM by gustophersmob »
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #189 on: May 20, 2018, 08:24:43 PM
Here's my bullet. Probably 2-3 years old, but not carried much.

Definitely a good size for pocket edc

Great  in that combination Gmob  :like:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #190 on: May 20, 2018, 10:32:31 PM
+1! :like:
That pen needs more wear though.  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #191 on: May 20, 2018, 10:50:08 PM
+1! :like:
That pen needs more wear though.  :whistle:

I'm working on it  ;)

Definitely doesn't match the other two yet
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #192 on: June 22, 2018, 06:42:51 AM
Picked up a replacement lacquered brass bullet pen for one I gifted a few years ago.
IMG_0709.jpg
* IMG_0709.jpg (Filesize: 342.37 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #193 on: June 25, 2018, 01:57:41 AM
Well, after a couple weeks, it's starting to get a little wear. Hard to photograph, though.

When I first got this a few years back, I never carried it because I just didn't like the idea of a cap. Now I'm starting to come around for a few reasons.

One, I carry a separate clicky pen at work (modified zebra f -701) which takes away the inconvenience of dealing with a cap when I often need to use a pen one handed.

Two, I realized that the cap helps keep the tip protected and lint out for edc pocket carry.

Three, since the cap is friction fit, it is fairly quick and easy to open and use.

I've also found myself more and more impressed by the design of the pen in general. When closed, it's compact size makes it just disappear in the pocket. When I started carrying it, it goes completely unnoticed until needed. Then, when opened and the cap posted, it's pretty darn close to a regular sized pen.

An added plus is the solid, all metal build. Outside of the o-ring, there's really not anything to wear out.

At the end of the day, I think it's the pen version of the SAK.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #194 on: June 27, 2018, 03:19:03 PM
I had an interesting revelation yesterday.

I had used Pilot G2s pretty much exclusively for about 15 years until I decided I wanted a non-disposable metal pen last month.  That's when I did my zebra f-701 mod, which uses a fisher fine refill.

Now, I always considered gel ink to provide a superior writing experience in most situations, and the fisher was a compromise solution to get a metal pen.  I noticed right away that the fisher refill did not lay down a very dark line compared to the G2, though it did write smoothly.  I didn't really do any head to head comparisons though, I just switched over.

Yesterday, after using the fisher equipped zebra exclusively at work for a month, I had to sign something and someone handed me a G2.  I immediately noticed that it seemed very scratchy.  So, back in my office, I tried again with a different G2 on different paper, and again it seemed scratchy.  Not overly so, but noticeably more so than the fisher.  It still layed down a much darker, wetter looking line, but there was definite rolling resistance. I then compared it to a uni-ball signo 207 gel ink.  That wrote very smoothly, no scratchiness at all.

Basically, the fine tip fisher refill seems to write as smoothly as the uni-ball 207, and the pilot g2 (0.7mm, black) wrote noticeably more scratchy.  This really surprised me as ball-points are not known for their writing experience.  I still think the lines from the 207 and G2 look nicer, but the experience of using the fisher seems to be right up there with the 207 (which I've read is one of the better gel inks available).

So, more love for the space pen!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:24:05 PM by gustophersmob »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #195 on: August 18, 2018, 06:08:40 PM
So, last year, I broke a part of my matte black Bullet via stupidity and pliers...  :facepalm:

Recently, to replace it, I got a raw brass Bullet.  :drool:

I decided to mix and match parts:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #196 on: August 18, 2018, 06:34:42 PM

So, last year, I Pabloed my matte black Bullet :facepalm:

FTFY :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #197 on: August 18, 2018, 07:38:48 PM
So, last year, I broke a part of my matte black Bullet via stupidity and pliers...  :facepalm:

Recently, to replace it, I got a raw brass Bullet.  :drool:
(Image removed from quote.)

I decided to mix and match parts:
(Image removed from quote.)

:like:

I kind of like the raw brass without the black cap better, but still looks good either way  :tu:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #198 on: August 18, 2018, 07:39:17 PM

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #199 on: August 20, 2018, 10:47:37 AM

So, last year, I Pabloed my matte black Bullet :facepalm:

FTFY :tu:

:rofl:

::) :rofl:

It turns out that multitool pliers are capable of squishing the brass tube beyond repair.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #200 on: August 26, 2018, 12:51:41 PM
Less than a weeks worth of use has given it a very different look.  :o

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #201 on: August 26, 2018, 12:54:25 PM
Not good?
Send it to me!

Are they readily available in the EU?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #202 on: August 26, 2018, 12:58:48 PM
It’s mine and I love it!  :twak: :rofl:

I believe that the raw brass version is on amazon.de.  :think: and amazon.fr, where it’s cheaper, at around 24 euros.

The black cap comes from the matte black version with clip. The rest from the Raw Brass version.

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #203 on: August 26, 2018, 01:00:06 PM
Expensive biro :think:

Amazon is quite unknown in our country...
Wish they'd set up a store here.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #204 on: August 26, 2018, 01:08:12 PM
I know, right?  :ahhh (to both counts)

I had to order mine from .co.uk, because there is no .ie.

I paid a bit over €21 for the clip-less raw brass version, and it will be my main pen for the foreseeable future.
I’m using a “fine” blue refill that I bought in a local shop for €8 last year, and it has lasted for a lot of writing so far. (I do the writing for my studies with it, if that gives an indication.  :ahhh )
I figure that I get good value from them, considering all the writing I do.

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #205 on: August 26, 2018, 01:19:09 PM
The refills claim to write 15,000 feet (4,500 m) of words with reasonably sized handwriting... and that comes from a NASA document I posted in page 3, so I’m inclined to trust it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 01:21:24 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #206 on: August 26, 2018, 03:28:12 PM
I use a pen way too seldom to justify getting one.
My retractable Zebra will remain my go to pen (only when I've got my Skinth with me) and only gets used in a pinch.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #207 on: August 26, 2018, 03:34:45 PM
That's looking good, Pabs!

Here are mine. The bullet is carried everyday loose in pocket. Both Zebra F-701s have been modified with a metal nock from the F -402 and have space pen refills. The middle one I carry at work since it's much easier to use a clicky quickly, and they don't allow capped pens in the labs.

The zebra on the right I just got Friday. Found it on sale in a store, so I picked it up to use the extra 402 nock (those pens come in two packs) so now I have a back up. I need to get a fine refill, as it has the leftover medium refill originally from the bullet. I may try blue this time.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #208 on: August 26, 2018, 03:51:11 PM
I use a pen way too seldom to justify getting one.
My retractable Zebra will remain my go to pen (only when I've got my Skinth with me) and only gets used in a pinch.
That sounds like a good pen.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #209 on: August 26, 2018, 03:55:36 PM
That's looking good, Pabs!

Here are mine. The bullet is carried everyday loose in pocket. Both Zebra F-701s have been modified with a metal nock from the F -402 and have space pen refills. The middle one I carry at work since it's much easier to use a clicky quickly, and they don't allow capped pens in the labs.

The zebra on the right I just got Friday. Found it on sale in a store, so I picked it up to use the extra 402 nock (those pens come in two packs) so now I have a back up. I need to get a fine refill, as it has the leftover medium refill originally from the bullet. I may try blue this time.
:cheers: Thanks.

Your pens are very nice too!  :tu:
Chrome and black are nice colours.  :tu:
I think shiny brass is, well, too shiny.  :P
I don’t want my pen to draw attention! :D
If it wasn’t for the assurance of getting the patina, I wouldn’t have gotten it.

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24