Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher Space Pens

parnass · 361 · 28076

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Fisher Space Pens
Reply #270 on: September 02, 2018, 10:27:13 PM
You could and you should!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #271 on: September 02, 2018, 10:30:13 PM
Is there any doubt?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #272 on: September 02, 2018, 10:30:38 PM
I hope not...

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #273 on: September 03, 2018, 12:32:29 AM
With lanyard ring!

So you can put a rope on it before you throw it, Pabs! :dd:

:rofl:

Poor Pabs
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #274 on: September 03, 2018, 01:41:41 PM
I wasn't able to take a good photo of it, but the lone brass cap I have has a wonderful patina at the moment. :salute: :D

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #275 on: September 08, 2018, 12:19:30 PM
Yesterday, I received in the post a Random Act of Kindness from Nix!  :ahhh :hatsoff: I'm not sure why anyone would send me a lovely pen just like that, given my pen history....  :P A huge thank you to Nix for his generosity!  :salute:

I thought that this would be the right place to post it, to keep space pen stuff in one thread? But maybe I should make a new thread?  ???

The contents:

Look at that space pen.... :sa: And sticker and patch.  :drool:

Another look:

Awesome....
It kind of looks like a "ninja-astronaut" pen, as Nix put it. :tu:
Made of brass, lovely grippy rubber coating, slightly triangular grip section, and a big clicky button with a click noise that makes thunder sound wimpy.  :D The clip is very nice to use too, compared to the one on the Cap-o-matic!

Back to that clicking noise...
From the "stealth" look of the pen, you'd expect it to be stealthy, when it's time to click it for the first time...
But in fact it's the opposite.
It has the one of the loudest clicks of any pen I've ever heard. It's right up there with a Parker Jotter, quite possibly more.

You could use it for training dogs in lieu of a "training clicker".
I can hear it without my hearing aids on.  :salute:

It sometimes makes some small clicking sounds when you write with it.
The button feels slightly....  :think: not smooth when pushing it. Slightly rubbery.
This is a really "tactile" pen.  8) So fun to fidget with.

Its.... big....
My Cap-o-matic is a little wider than a Bic Cristal, and much heavier at 17 grams. This "Zero-Gravity" pen dwarfs that Cap-o-matic! It weighs 28 grams and makes my Cap-o-matic look like a bic!

Think Laurel & Hardy, The Rock & Kevin Hart.

I don't doubt that you could use this pen easily when wearing gloves in winter.  :tu:
The size and weight works against it a little when it comes to portability.  :think:
the experience of using this pen... quite good.  :tu:
It can be stealthy or attention drawing, depending on the colour variation and how you use it.  ;)

But unfortunately I have small-ish hands.  :-\ And think that I prefer the thinner, lighter and slipperier Cap-o-matic for prolonged writing. Just a personal preference, the way pens tend to be different for everyone!

If I could only have one pen, it would probably be a Bullet, for lots of portability and durability, in my opinion. Two pens, I'd pick Bullet and Cap-o-matic for personal preference.  :think:
The Zero-Gravity might make a great office pen, and you could annoy other people by clicking it.  :whistle:
The cap-o-matic is in a weird spot. Less portable then the Bullet, more portable than the Zero-Gravity. Less "substantial" (and cheaper) than either the Bullet or Zero-Gravity.
 I hear that the M4B cap-o-matic is sold at military base shops to soldiers for $5.  :o
IMG_3869.jpg
* IMG_3869.jpg (Filesize: 193.63 KB)
IMG_3866.jpg
* IMG_3866.jpg (Filesize: 211.96 KB)
IMG_3867.jpg
* IMG_3867.jpg (Filesize: 207.03 KB)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:20:45 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #276 on: September 08, 2018, 03:40:35 PM
Yesterday, I received in the post a Random Act of Kindness from Nix!  :ahhh :hatsoff: I'm not sure why anyone would send me a lovely pen just like that, given my pen history....  :P A huge thank you to Nix for his generosity!  :salute:

I thought that this would be the right place to post it, to keep space pen stuff in one thread? But maybe I should make a new thread?  ???

The contents:
(Image removed from quote.)
Look at that space pen.... :sa: And sticker and patch.  :drool:

Another look:

Awesome....
It kind of looks like a "ninja-astronaut" pen, as Nix put it. :tu:
Made of brass, lovely grippy rubber coating, slightly triangular grip section, and a big clicky button with a click noise that makes thunder sound wimpy.  :D The clip is very nice to use too, compared to the one on the Cap-o-matic!

Back to that clicking noise...
From the "stealth" look of the pen, you'd expect it to be stealthy, when it's time to click it for the first time...
But in fact it's the opposite.
It has the one of the loudest clicks of any pen I've ever heard. It's right up there with a Parker Jotter, quite possibly more.

You could use it for training dogs in lieu of a "training clicker".
I can hear it without my hearing aids on.  :salute:

It sometimes makes some small clicking sounds when you write with it.
The button feels slightly....  :think: not smooth when pushing it. Slightly rubbery.
This is a really "tactile" pen.  8) So fun to fidget with.

Its.... big....
My Cap-o-matic is a little wider than a Bic Cristal, and much heavier at 17 grams. This "Zero-Gravity" pen dwarfs that Cap-o-matic! It weighs 28 grams and makes my Cap-o-matic look like a bic!

Think Laurel & Hardy, The Rock & Kevin Hart.

I don't doubt that you could use this pen easily when wearing gloves in winter.  :tu:
The size and weight works against it a little when it comes to portability.  :think:
the experience of using this pen... quite good.  :tu:
It can be stealthy or attention drawing, depending on the colour variation and how you use it.  ;)

But unfortunately I have small-ish hands.  :-\ And think that I prefer the thinner, lighter and slipperier Cap-o-matic for prolonged writing. Just a personal preference, the way pens tend to be different for everyone!

If I could only have one pen, it would probably be a Bullet, for lots of portability and durability, in my opinion. Two pens, I'd pick Bullet and Cap-o-matic for personal preference.  :think:
The Zero-Gravity might make a great office pen, and you could annoy other people by clicking it.  :whistle:
The cap-o-matic is in a weird spot. Less portable then the Bullet, more portable than the Zero-Gravity. Less "substantial" (and cheaper) than either the Bullet or Zero-Gravity.
 I hear that the M4B cap-o-matic is sold at military base shops to soldiers for $5.  :o

Nice pen and nice RAK, Nix  :hatsoff:

The zero gravity has a nice look to it :tu:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #277 on: September 08, 2018, 11:14:47 PM
 :salute: Yup, I’m still stunned!

By the way, I emailed the space pen company... I asked them if they’ve done any tests regarding the number of times that their pens can be clicked before wearing out/breaking.... I’m weird about stuff like that. I want to know that fidgeting with my Cap-o-matic won’t cause it to break within a year. :ahhh :D

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #278 on: September 08, 2018, 11:43:18 PM
Take care of it and it will take care of you... no sillyness with this one Pabs :pok:

And way to go Nix! :ahhh
:woohoo:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #279 on: September 08, 2018, 11:47:48 PM
I’m not planning to throw it in the grass, if that’s what you mean. :D

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #280 on: September 09, 2018, 12:33:45 AM
I'm sure you've got more diabolical plans in your head to sacrifice your gear for.

All I'm saying is "don't"

:whistle:

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #281 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:05 AM
I'm sure you've got more diabolical plans in your head to sacrifice your gear for.

+1 to this.

Pablo Please Put Premium Priority on Preserving your Pens on the Pachyderm Principle*

*Elephants never forget so don’t you go forgetting where you’ve left your pen!
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #282 on: September 09, 2018, 08:28:27 AM
 :like:

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #283 on: September 09, 2018, 02:38:02 PM

+1 to this.

Pablo Please Put Premium Priority on Preserving your Pens on the Pachyderm Principle*

*Elephants never forget so don’t you go forgetting where you’ve left your pen!

:rofl:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #284 on: November 05, 2018, 04:25:03 PM
Modded zebra f -701 with space pen cartridge.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #285 on: November 05, 2018, 04:26:23 PM
Sweet!  :like:
How do you like it?

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #286 on: November 05, 2018, 04:40:38 PM
Sweet!  :like:
How do you like it?

I like it a lot, actually. More than I thought I would.

I originally made the mods in May, I think, and have been carrying the pen everyday at work since then. When not at work, I much prefer the bullet pen as it basically disappears until needed.

I found I prefer the fisher ink over my previous standard pilot G-2. I actually find the fisher ink to be smoother. Plus it dries faster and is more tamper resistant.

I also like the price. I have slightly under $13 in each of the two pens I made. I think the new zebra f-701s are now all metal to begin with, and should be even cheaper since you don't need to sacrifice two other pens for the metal nock. So, the cost makes me not afraid to use it. I also like that it isn't as tapered towards the tip like the fisher pens or the parker jotter types.

It's not perfect, though. The inside body is a plastic tube, and I had the knurled grip section start to separate from the metal upper. This required me to disassemble the metal sleeves from the plastic tube and slather the inside with 2-part epoxy. Now it feels solid as a rock.

If I could find a clicky or bolt pen that was all metal, at a price this low, I'd consider replacing the zebra, but so far I haven't found one.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:41:45 PM by gustophersmob »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #287 on: November 05, 2018, 08:34:34 PM
This pen is either in my pocket or very close by most days :cheers:

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #288 on: November 05, 2018, 10:17:12 PM
Rite In The Rain (RITR) has pens that are also pressurized so that they can write upside down, in the rain on their 'waterproof' paper, or to just be used as an everyday pen. Then I found the IMPROMPTU TACTICAL PEN and it is a tactical pen, with glass breaker that the RITR pen refills will fit into and if you are able it can even be a very effective weapon. This Gerber pen has a pretty hefty price tag on it, but I was thinking "Hey, wow, wouldn't that be neat" and my wife was quick to remind me (I felt scolded) that we already have a glass breaker in our vehicle tool kit and shatter my thoughts of such as glorious pen as easily as the pen would shatter glass.

**We have a lot of morons in Arizona and I'm sure it isn't an isolated problem and you may have the same type of morons in your area. These morons will leave their children in a car, with the windows rolled up, in the 120 degree heat of July and August while they....1) Run into a store 'real quick'. 2) sit in a bar drinking. 3) runs inside a friends house to drop something off (or pick up) 'really quickly'. I is legal (In Arizona, USA. Please check your local laws before attempting this) to break a vehicle window to save a child or animal from the EXTREME TEMPERATURES that the inside of a vehicle can reach in very short (quickly) time.**
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #289 on: November 09, 2018, 08:03:30 PM
Apparently, you can break car windows even more easily with a small piece of porcelain from a spark plug.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhlmKHbPFhU

A little more about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llu-ckEe5cQ

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #290 on: January 19, 2019, 12:29:23 AM
Got a new brass Bullet Pen and took a few pics with it and the other 2 I have :cheers: The first is of the new brass pen, it came in a nice box (forgot to get a pic of the box :facepalm: ) and this nice case :like:

Next couple are just some side by side pics with my chrome and black Bullet Pens :tu:

I am liking the feel of the brass one and am glad I picked it up :cheers: I really like the quality of all 3 of these pens and have used the chrome one alot :o :D I have used the black one some and hopefully I will use the brass some as well :cheers:

Offline Kris Sherman

Reply #291 on: March 26, 2019, 11:27:53 PM
Interesting! I personally use more of these pencils like these [LINK REMOVED] I think they are comfortable.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 08:14:55 AM by hiraethus »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #292 on: March 26, 2019, 11:31:14 PM
Hi Kris. Welcome. :cheers:

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #293 on: March 26, 2019, 11:31:42 PM
I got that Staedtler in that link you posted, I’m kinda interested in a bullet pencil myself,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #294 on: March 27, 2019, 10:40:57 AM
AFAIK, the Rite in the Rain pens use licensed Fisher SP refills.
In Germany, Diplomat makes and sells licensed Space pens - They have teh same models as Fisher and some own models if I remember correctly.. The series is called SpaceTec.
I am not sure if it is a thing of different age of teh pens, but the Fiher and Diplomat Space pen Bullet threads are different on the 2 pens I have.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #295 on: March 27, 2019, 12:01:33 PM
AFAIK, the Rite in the Rain pens use licensed Fisher SP refills.
In Germany, Diplomat makes and sells licensed Space pens - They have teh same models as Fisher and some own models if I remember correctly.. The series is called SpaceTec.
I am not sure if it is a thing of different age of teh pens, but the Fisher and Diplomat Space pen Bullet threads are different on the 2 pens I have.
We need to test this!
Get on it, SPKs! (Space Pen Knights)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #296 on: April 16, 2019, 07:36:41 PM
I'm working on it  ;)

Definitely doesn't match the other two yet

Well, after a year (almost) of daily pocket carry, it’s starting to show some wear. Still works just as great as always. Such a handy little pen  :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #297 on: April 16, 2019, 07:42:48 PM
It's aged well. :dd:

All hail the hook!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #298 on: April 16, 2019, 07:45:58 PM
Thanks  :cheers:

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #299 on: April 16, 2019, 08:08:47 PM
It seems odd to extol the virtues of a ball point pen, even if it is a fancy one, but I really do like this one.  The design is so well thought out and executed, it reminds me very much of a SAK.  Particularly the alox ones.

It is small and unobtrusive, so it is easy to carry and always have on you, yet it is large enough (really, full size with the cap posted) to be used as a primary writing instrument, if so desired. It is also inexpensive enough, even if not cheap, that I don’t mind carrying it all the time. That it is made with quality materials helps, too.

I like a lot of the little well thought out design cues: the notch in the o-ring to equalize pressure so the cap doesn’t get stuck on, the slightly fatter butt-end so the cap posts without sliding all the way down, the plastic piece in the tip of the cap to keep the pen’s point from rattling around when closed.  All good stuff.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%