Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher Space Pens

parnass · 361 · 28068

au Offline Brock O Lee

Re: Fisher Space Pens
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2016, 03:15:31 PM
I have been using two of their Bullet pens for the last 5 years, and they are excellent. They always work when I need them to, even if I haven't used them in months, and they do not leak.  :tu:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 03:55:37 PM
I have been using Fisher Space Pens since the '70s. Mainly the CH4 version which looks almost the same as the original one (AG7) used in space.
The Fisher Space Pen PR Catridges all come with a small plastic adapter and can be used in Parker style ballpoint pens.
The Fisher Space U Catridges fit all the multicolor pens.
The Fisher Space C Catridges can be used with Cross type pens.
The Fisher Space PS Catridges fit some of the Paper Mate type Pens.

The Fisher C cartridge is supposedly both better and longer lasting than Cross's own cartridges. And at least here in Sweden they are cheaper too.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 01:08:48 PM
I had a capomatic that I lost on a plane  >:( not the most expensive pen but it was a gift from my wife. It was nice but I felt that it was a touch on the weak side and seemed to bend a little if I had it in my jeans pocket. I now have an AG7 and the thing is tough. I also have a stainless Parker jotter with a fisher refill for use at work. I have been through 1 refill in it so far and it works well for jotting notes in a notebook and works well on our site permit forms when they get dirty, but is not comfortable for writing for longer periods. I want to try the fine point fisher refills next

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 09, 2016, 06:28:33 PM
I had the cheaper dollar store version of one and it leaked quite a bit so I returned it and got a pack of regular grippy pens.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 02:01:07 PM
Does anyone use a Fisher Backpacker Space Pen? I got my REI dividend in the mail and might try one out:

https://www.rei.com/product/106598/fisher-space-pen-backpacker-pen
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 03:03:10 PM
All I have is a chrome and BO bullet pen :D I love both of them and they are always very handy and this one you have shown the link too looks like it would be handy as well :think: If you get it let us know what you think about it TJ :cheers: :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #36 on: March 20, 2017, 08:25:13 PM
Can anyone with multiple types of fisher space pens tell me which you prefer and why?  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 11:39:29 PM
Can anyone with multiple types of fisher space pens tell me which you prefer and why?  :)

Well, I only have one, pic related, and I don't really like it. It's a great pen and I would recommend a Bullet to anyone but with this particular model there are two problems. The first is my own fault for fidgeting to much with the O-ring and breaking it but the other is that the some of the sleek look is lost due to the step for posting the cap. The models where the cap simply slides on to the unbroken line of the pen look better imho. As for the full size pens they look great but if I was looking for something like that I would seriously consider getting a Fisher Refill and any pen that uses the Parker G2 refills since Fisher supplies an adapter with their refills.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:33 PM
Hmm, does my picture show up for people? My older pictures stopped showing up and it seems it's due to Dropbox changing their service.  :oops:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: March 21, 2017, 12:18:14 AM
Thank you for your thoughts.  :)
I have a Rainbow bullet(from a relative) that I am trying out. I'm planning to get a clip for it.
So far I like it very much.

Hmm, does my picture show up for people? My older pictures stopped showing up and it seems it's due to Dropbox changing their service.  :oops:
I see the picture.

All hail the hook!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #40 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:18 AM

The Fisher Zero Gravity pen is made of brass inside and covered with a rubbery surface which makes it easy to grip.  The American Flag and lettering are sharp and attractive.  Due to its weight, I use it at home.

The Fisher Telescoping pen is shorter than most pens so it rides more easily when it is completely contained in a shirt or pants pocket.  I like the fact that exposing the tip requires merely pulling out the plunger instead of removing a separate cap.  It's easier to deploy and there's no chance of losing a cap.

I haven't used the Bullet much, but keep it tucked inside a jacket pocket in case the Telescoping pen runs out of ink.

None of these 3 Fisher models feels cheesy.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Fisher Space Pens
Reply #41 on: March 21, 2017, 03:10:00 AM

I have (had) three, a fancy red lacquer version, the chrome with knurled finger grip, and a plain black model.

The lacquer model began to loose its finish as result of chemical on  my hand, and my habit of rubbing the pen with my thumb during conference calls, or meetings.   eventually, the finish exposed the entire pen as a brass with a ring .  Picture of it is in a earlier posting with my vagabond and black model.   This was my favorite,the patina was lovely. Was,because it was lost and never found by me, another patron of the restaurant visiting, who would not admit finding it a few minutes after I realized it was missing from my pocket.

Now the black model is working the same duty as that brass and it is developing its own patina. 

The chrome model, is at home, just to bright and pretty, distracts from my pretty knifes that ride in my pockets.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 03:12:35 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: March 21, 2017, 04:22:30 AM
Did someone say patina  :D
IMG_5475.JPG
* IMG_5475.JPG (Filesize: 213.67 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #43 on: March 21, 2017, 05:33:54 AM
Hmm, that little leather looks interesting! I might have to make something like that, maybe to hold a farmer or pioneer-x and also a pen? I'd have to do something else and maybe put a grommet on so it could hang rather then sit at the bottom of the pocket :think:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: March 21, 2017, 06:27:32 AM
Hmm, that little leather looks interesting! I might have to make something like that, maybe to hold a farmer or pioneer-x and also a pen? I'd have to do something else and maybe put a grommet on so it could hang rather then sit at the bottom of the pocket :think:
JR
Holds a 2 layer SAK or my Northwoods, and the space pen absoloutley perfectly. Feels so good and is just getting better with age (all of them actually). Rides so nicely in he pocket too!
IMG_5293.JPG
* IMG_5293.JPG (Filesize: 342.11 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #45 on: March 21, 2017, 06:59:14 AM
JR
Holds a 2 layer SAK or my Northwoods, and the space pen absoloutley perfectly. Feels so good and is just getting better with age (all of them actually). Rides so nicely in he pocket too!
Seriously interesting, I just might have to make something to fit my needs, here's a pic, just like I use the paracord thingy to hang the pioneer-x, do the same with a little tab and grommet so it will hang into the pocket, and see if I can get those pens to fit. And of course it's leather, it only gets better with age!
JR
IMG_6425.PNG
* IMG_6425.PNG (Filesize: 142.87 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:01 PM
Have three bullet styles and have had one in my pocket since the 80s.  The brass one was originally a burgundy lacquer. Picture with my Vagabond -
(Image removed from quote.)

*via Tapatalk
Here is previous pic with the now lost brass and the black. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #47 on: March 21, 2017, 12:03:14 PM
Have three bullet styles and have had one in my pocket since the 80s.  The brass one was originally a burgundy lacquer. Picture with my Vagabond -
(Image removed from quote.)

*via Tapatalk
Here is previous pic with the now lost brass and the black. 

Hope yours is as good!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:23 PM
Interesting stuff and lovely pens!   :tu:
I'm debating whether to get a Ti coated bullet(more expensive),
or plain matte black(no grooves for grip),
or lacquered brass(extra grooves all along the body).  :think:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Professor Shark

Reply #49 on: March 23, 2017, 10:51:38 AM
Funnily enough I was looking into getting a new Fisher Space Pen recently.

When I was an undergrad I received a Chrome Space Pen from my grandmother and used it for several years. When I first started using it, I found it hard on the hand, even when posted. I got used to it though, and it was my constant companion.

I took it with me for luck when I went for an interview for my Education program, however after the interview it must have slipped out of the slick pockets of my dress pants because I never saw it again (I did get into the program, though!).

I looked into getting the Brass version, however my attention was swayed when I tried looking into getting the Orange version they released a few years ago (unavailable everywhere I looked), which led me to discovering the Lamy Al-star in Copper Orange, which is now in the post on its way to me. I'm almost certain that the fountain pen won't fill the role that I wanted the Fischer to (tough, reliable, compact), but we'll see how things turn out!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 03:23:37 AM
Are there any pens from other brands out there that are similar in size to the Fisher backpacker?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 09:26:26 AM
Are there any pens from other brands out there that are similar in size to the Fisher backpacker?
Check out the inka pen. I think fisher makes its refill

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 10:38:14 AM
So my choice of compact pen is narrowed down to a classic Bullet, or Telescopic, or Explorer(X-750).
I think that I prefer the caps, like on the Bullet and Explorer.

Sooo... Colour choice help?    :pok:
With or without grooves, on the Bullet?

I like the way the matte black Bullet will wear, but it has no grooves, would that be a problem when it wears?

The Titanium versions appear to be sticky stuff/fingerprint magnets.  :ahhh
(Though I know that they won't wear).

Chrome is flashy, possibly too flashy.

I could solve any grip problems on the Bullet with a tad of heat shrink.   :D

Explorer has some reports of slightly looser caps?

Too many choices.  :ahhh  :-\

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: April 03, 2017, 09:41:57 PM
Postman should be delivering a matte black bullet tomorrow, I can't wait.  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 06:52:38 PM
Feels like I'm the thread killer now. Three uninterrupted posts in a row?  :o

My Matte Black Bullet arrived today. I feel like when I got my first SAK, or my first pocket light, feeling that I just got something that I will use for a loong time.  :salute:

Personal comparison with the Ti Rainbow finish, some of what I say about the Rainbow finish presumably applies to other shiny finishes like chrome.
Show content
Personally, the matte black feels more substantial for some reason, which is weird. You'd think that the model with the Ti coating would feel stronger?  :think:
Probably its just because its Black!  :D
OTOH, the matte black finish would be ever so slightly thicker than the Rainbow finish, so that might explain it.

Compared to the Rainbow finish, the matte black is "rougher"? The cap slides on and off both ends with slight noticeable friction, compared to the smooth action of the cap on the Rainbow. This is easily understood though, the Rainbow finish is smoother to start with. YMMV and I like it this way.

Without the grooves, the Matte Black is more comfortable(but may feel more slippy) to write with. This is very much up to personal preference.

On the other hand, its a fact that shiny finishes like the Rainbow one will show oil and fingerprints much more than Matte Black.
The Rainbow finish(and other shiny finishes I presume) will feel oilly to the touch easily.

I got mine with a clip, which doesn't feel like it will go anywhere.  :)
I replaced the Medium refill with a Fine refill as soon as I got it(fine is much better!) and put the Medium in a modded Zebra Z-Grip.
Posted, its comfortable enough for me to write off a page or so at a time. But more than that, is the "coolness" and "twirling in your fingers" feel of it. I like playing with this particular pen.  :rofl:
I can see myself using this very pen(if I don't lose it!  :ahhh ) in a few years time. And I'm anticipating when it wears and turns a brassy colour.  :drool: Better with age indeed!
1491324405922635569986.jpg
* 1491324405922635569986.jpg (Filesize: 210.81 KB)
1491324456853-434166842.jpg
* 1491324456853-434166842.jpg (Filesize: 187.21 KB)
1491324590321-393906870.jpg
* 1491324590321-393906870.jpg (Filesize: 168.8 KB)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:53:43 PM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #55 on: April 06, 2017, 02:44:04 PM
Good choice, enjoy!

Hope yours is as good!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 03:22:05 PM
Nice pen  :tu:

I'm really wanting the blue one, blueberry I think it's called.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #57 on: April 06, 2017, 05:25:48 PM
Thank you!  :cheers:

Do you already have one in another colour? What are you waiting for?  :pok:

I'm still wondering about the durability of these pens, as far as I can see, the only thing that could happen is that the cap gets loose? Will this pen last me as long as a SAK?  :climber:

All hail the hook!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #58 on: April 06, 2017, 06:00:36 PM

I'm still wondering about the durability of these pens, as far as I can see, the only thing that could happen is that the cap gets loose? Will this pen last me as long as a SAK?  :climber:
I have had mine for over 27 years, as long as you do not damage the o-ring with some type of solvent, you should not have any issues. 
My current EDC is my Black one, it was my 2nd purchase, early 90s or late 80s.

Pocket carry with my Micra is causing some wear yet a lovely Patina I can enjoy.  I do miss my brass model that originally was a dark red lacquer.

Hope yours is as good!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: April 06, 2017, 06:22:39 PM

I have had mine for over 27 years, as long as you do not damage the o-ring with some type of solvent, you should not have any issues. 
My current EDC is my Black one, it was my 2nd purchase, early 90s or late 80s.

Pocket carry with my Micra is causing some wear yet a lovely Patina I can enjoy.  I do miss my brass model that originally was a dark red lacquer. (Image removed from quote.)

The worn brass highlights are gorgeous.  :drool:
I hope I can keep mine long enough for it to look like that.  :salute:

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86