Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fisher Space Pens

parnass · 361 · 28076

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Re: Fisher Space Pens
Reply #300 on: April 24, 2019, 02:53:21 PM
I like it a lot, actually. More than I thought I would.

I originally made the mods in May, I think, and have been carrying the pen everyday at work since then. When not at work, I much prefer the bullet pen as it basically disappears until needed.

I found I prefer the fisher ink over my previous standard pilot G-2. I actually find the fisher ink to be smoother. Plus it dries faster and is more tamper resistant.

I also like the price. I have slightly under $13 in each of the two pens I made. I think the new zebra f-701s are now all metal to begin with, and should be even cheaper since you don't need to sacrifice two other pens for the metal nock. So, the cost makes me not afraid to use it. I also like that it isn't as tapered towards the tip like the fisher pens or the parker jotter types.

It's not perfect, though. The inside body is a plastic tube, and I had the knurled grip section start to separate from the metal upper. This required me to disassemble the metal sleeves from the plastic tube and slather the inside with 2-part epoxy. Now it feels solid as a rock.

If I could find a clicky or bolt pen that was all metal, at a price this low, I'd consider replacing the zebra, but so far I haven't found one.

One thing I’ve noticed the past year is that the metal nock has a slightly rough/gritty feeling to it. Last night I worked a little nyogel into it and so far it feels as smooth as glass. We’ll see how long it lasts.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #301 on: June 14, 2019, 06:17:54 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NgVenotPTw

I bought a Fisher Telescoping Space Pen. It was mentioned in the very first post of this thread, but hardly brought up after that. I liked that the telescoping pen was one piece, with no cap to lose, and one-hand deployable. It also wasn't very expensive.
As part of my everyday carry belt holster obsession: I designed a quick draw holster for the pen. It took three prototypes to get the locking mechanism working perfectly. But now it is ready for the public.
I use the actual telescoping feature to lock the pen into the holster. With one hand you can unlock it, pull out the pen, and it is ready to use. It docks just as easy.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #302 on: June 14, 2019, 06:33:06 AM
(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NgVenotPTw

I bought a Fisher Telescoping Space Pen. It was mentioned in the very first post of this thread, but hardly brought up after that. I liked that the telescoping pen was one piece, with no cap to lose, and one-hand deployable. It also wasn't very expensive.
As part of my everyday carry belt holster obsession: I designed a quick draw holster for the pen. It took three prototypes to get the locking mechanism working perfectly. But now it is ready for the public.
I use the actual telescoping feature to lock the pen into the holster. With one hand you can unlock it, pull out the pen, and it is ready to use. It docks just as easy.

That's a very stylish holder for a nice looking pen :like:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #303 on: June 14, 2019, 08:14:43 AM
That's a very stylish holder for a nice looking pen :like:
:iagree: :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #304 on: July 01, 2019, 01:45:33 PM
I am tempted to buy a Pen just to be able to use the Batman-Belt style holster...Does that make me a gear nerd?
Nice Pen that flew under my radar and nice holster(s) - I like the MT holsters you make, too and am waiting for you to come up with something for my rattling MP600. :-)

us Offline ZapWizard

Reply #305 on: July 01, 2019, 04:58:59 PM
I am tempted to buy a Pen just to be able to use the Batman-Belt style holster...Does that make me a gear nerd?
I think simply being on this forum along makes one a gear nerd. I am now up to three things on my belt. (Pen, Flashlight, Multitool). I figure by the time I retire I will look like Batman. (I am thinking about one for my keys now).
Strangely though I am not one of those folks with a huge phone holster on my side.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #306 on: July 17, 2019, 01:00:04 PM
I think simply being on this forum along makes one a gear nerd. I am now up to three things on my belt. (Pen, Flashlight, Multitool). I figure by the time I retire I will look like Batman. (I am thinking about one for my keys now).
Strangely though I am not one of those folks with a huge phone holster on my side.

:imws:

C'mon, lowtech! You should know this by now!

:twak: :twak:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #307 on: August 10, 2019, 01:15:15 PM
I'd welcome a bit of advice please.

A couple of years ago I got myself a Titanium Bullet with Space Shuttle. The Shuttle was attached by two pins into the cap with their feet pressed/punched flat inside the cap to secure it. It was a bit loose but ok. Eventually it fell off in my pocket with wear.

I have tried to epoxy the shuttle  back on the cap but the smooth titanium finish doesn't give a key and I actually like that finish so I don't want to muck about roughening it. I'd put some epoxy on the reverse but pushing the pen body home lifts the Shuttle and suggest to me there's not much clearance to play with. I have come to the conclusion I should just leave it be and live with it.

Any suggestions or cunning wheezes I might try?
Thanks

IMG_1225.jpg
* IMG_1225.jpg (Filesize: 182.17 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #308 on: August 10, 2019, 04:04:06 PM
I’m coming up short on ideas on how you could fix that  :dunno:

I wonder if it would be worth emailing fisher and see if they’d do anything? They have a lifetime warranty, I think. May not apply since you’re across the pond, but you never know.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #309 on: August 10, 2019, 11:18:24 PM
I’m coming up short on ideas on how you could fix that  :dunno:

I wonder if it would be worth emailing fisher and see if they’d do anything? They have a lifetime warranty, I think. May not apply since you’re across the pond, but you never know.

That’s a good idea. TBH I’m actually ok with it without the shuttle but it would be nice to fix.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #310 on: August 11, 2019, 12:04:26 AM
They have a UK distributor.
I'd contact them in addition to the US company.
http://www.fisherspacepen.co.uk

I'm guessing that they'll want you to post it to the UK peeps.

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #311 on: August 11, 2019, 05:57:34 AM
I'd welcome a bit of advice please.

A couple of years ago I got myself a Titanium Bullet with Space Shuttle. The Shuttle was attached by two pins into the cap with their feet pressed/punched flat inside the cap to secure it. It was a bit loose but ok. Eventually it fell off in my pocket with wear.

I have tried to epoxy the shuttle  back on the cap but the smooth titanium finish doesn't give a key and I actually like that finish so I don't want to muck about roughening it. I'd put some epoxy on the reverse but pushing the pen body home lifts the Shuttle and suggest to me there's not much clearance to play with. I have come to the conclusion I should just leave it be and live with it.

Any suggestions or cunning wheezes I might try?
Thanks

If the shuttle is lifting, then my guess is the pins are too long, and that's what the body of the pen is pressing against. No wonder the epoxy didn't hold.

I'd file the pins shorter, key both surfaces, ensuring you don't key the cap outside the outline of the shuttle piece, and re-epoxy it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #312 on: August 11, 2019, 08:43:47 AM
Thanks AW filing the pins might make a difference. I'll have a look at that  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #313 on: August 11, 2019, 08:44:34 AM
They have a UK distributor.
I'd contact them in addition to the US company.
http://www.fisherspacepen.co.uk

I'm guessing that they'll want you to post it to the UK peeps.

I reckon so but I'll email them to see what they might do.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.

Offline Charlie.smith74

• New User
Reply #314 on: December 30, 2020, 02:42:30 PM
Hello. I recently recieved a Fisher space pen from my Granny and it belonged to my grandad. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. I believe it has "Las Vegas" written on it and I believe it was from around 1990.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #315 on: December 30, 2020, 03:11:24 PM
Any chance of a picture of it? :cheers:
The las vegas writing could just be souvenir or marketing stuff, it doesn't tell anything about the pen I think.

All hail the hook!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #316 on: December 30, 2020, 03:15:06 PM
Hello. I recently recieved a Fisher space pen from my Granny and it belonged to my grandad. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about it. I believe it has "Las Vegas" written on it and I believe it was from around 1990.

Hi Charlie!  Any chance you could post some pictures of the pen?

Edit:  Don Pablo beat me to it. 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #317 on: December 30, 2020, 03:52:57 PM
Our younger son received a bullet as a grad gift, his eyes just lit up, then when I explained what it could do he was like whoa :drool:
I told him I had one but lost it, I bought another and it’s in this house but one little part on it is broke,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Charlie.smith74

• New User
Reply #318 on: December 30, 2020, 03:57:16 PM
Hi Charlie!  Any chance you could post some pictures of the pen?

Edit:  Don Pablo beat me to it.
IMG_7852-min.jpg
* IMG_7852-min.jpg (Filesize: 76.56 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #319 on: December 30, 2020, 04:10:41 PM
Looks like a matte black coloured Bullet pen. :cheers:
One of the best, if I may say so! :D
31rS56QjnkL._AC_SX425_.jpg
* 31rS56QjnkL._AC_SX425_.jpg (Filesize: 8.68 KB)

All hail the hook!

Offline Charlie.smith74

• New User
Reply #320 on: December 30, 2020, 04:42:28 PM
Looks like a matte black coloured Bullet pen. :cheers:
One of the best, if I may say so! :D
Very cool thank you. Would you know where the Las Vegas comes from?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #321 on: December 30, 2020, 05:09:07 PM
Nothing comes to mind aside from the fact that Fisher Pen like to make lots of promotional editions in various colours and styles with writing on them.  And they likely take commissions in large quantities.
If you look at Fisher Pen's website, you can find a large number of different promotional pens being currently sold. :ahhh

All hail the hook!

Offline Charlie.smith74

• New User
Reply #322 on: December 30, 2020, 05:12:45 PM
Nothing comes to mind aside from the fact that Fisher Pen like to make lots of promotional editions in various colours and styles with writing on them.  And they likely take commissions in large quantities.
If you look at Fisher Pen's website, you can find a large number of different promotional pens being currently sold. :ahhh
Ah okay. Thank you very much. Feels great to know more about it

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #323 on: December 30, 2020, 06:06:53 PM
Found my bullet! I remember why I stopped anything with it because it’s got a small crack in the shell, if I don’t pinch where the crack is when taking the cover off it just exposes the cartridge, although I do have the military one too now that I think of it, the one that comes with the rite in the rain setup,,
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #324 on: December 30, 2020, 09:25:10 PM
Found my bullet! I remember why I stopped anything with it because it’s got a small crack in the shell, if I don’t pinch where the crack is when taking the cover off it just exposes the cartridge, although I do have the military one too now that I think of it, the one that comes with the rite in the rain setup,,
JR
You live in the USA, right? :tu:
This leaflet was hidden in the box of the space pen that Nix just RAK'ed me.  :salute:
So check out the warranty section of their website!  :pok:

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #325 on: December 30, 2020, 09:29:48 PM
You live in the USA, right? :tu:
This leaflet was hidden in the box of the space pen that Nix just RAK'ed me.  :salute:
So check out the warranty section of their website!  :pok:
Oh interesting, that means I’d have to mail it in and I don’t have any way to get to the post office, but I’ll look into it and maybe message them, thanks
JR

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #326 on: December 30, 2020, 09:30:44 PM
I'm confident they'll honour the warranty as far as covid restrictions allow. :2tu:

All hail the hook!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #327 on: December 30, 2020, 09:40:30 PM
I'm confident they'll honour the warranty as far as covid restrictions allow. :2tu:
I guess I’ll write them and see what they say
JR

us Offline pipedreams

• Improvisational Engineer
Reply #328 on: January 01, 2021, 05:31:53 AM
I’ve been carrying this Raw Brass Space Pen in this little leather pocket organizer.
-Todd

Every moment is an adventure. Are you equipped?

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #329 on: January 01, 2021, 11:11:01 PM
Nice, loving that organiser

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86