Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Casio GD350 battery change questions.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Casio GD350 battery change questions.
on: April 09, 2016, 08:36:20 PM
I need a new battery for my black GD350 (grey one is standing in) and I had a few questions. First, I remember reading or seeing something about when changing a battery on some watches there is a compression fit or some term like that and you need the proper tool to get it back when reassembling after the battery change. Does this ring a bell for anyone? My other question is, any pointers on changing the battery in the Casio GD350? Anything I should know? Thanks!
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Casio GD350 battery change questions.
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 09:04:16 PM
there is a hook on the metal cover of some batteries that can be moved open with a small screwdriver. putting it back together is easy.
you also need to reset it by joining some metal bits, after the battery change.
you need to do a search online, as different modules have different parts for resetting

maybe your module is different, but in general this is the procedure
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 09:28:28 PM
there is a hook on the metal cover of some batteries that can be moved open with a small screwdriver. putting it back together is easy.
you also need to reset it by joining some metal bits, after the battery change.
you need to do a search online, as different modules have different parts for resetting

maybe your module is different, but in general this is the procedure

I can not find a single thing online explaining the exact method for this watch. Guess I will just go buy a battery and go for it.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 09:32:33 PM
do a search with the module number

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 09:33:23 PM
do a search with the module number

I did.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 09:34:57 PM
ask lowtech or ricardo   :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 10:49:25 PM
ask lowtech or ricardo   :D

A solid suggestion.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 04:33:22 PM
Did it myself. I could not figure out how to release the latch for the battery. Finally got it and then did the reset. All is back together now and working well. There is one little metal tab that is protruding that I could not remember if it was that way or not, but its working fine so who knows.  :think:
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 04:37:09 PM
Be absolutely careful not to flip a digital watch upside down when it is open, and do not peel off the white sticker from the back plate of the watch if there is one.

That white sticker is actually the sticker and without it, the watch won't make any sounds.  And, if you turn the watch upside down you will probably lose the teeny spring that connects the board to the speaker.  They usually aren't secured in, just dropped in a slot.

I lost mine once years ago, and remarkably managed to find it a few days later. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 04:42:49 PM
Be absolutely careful not to flip a digital watch upside down when it is open, and do not peel off the white sticker from the back plate of the watch if there is one.

That white sticker is actually the sticker and without it, the watch won't make any sounds.  And, if you turn the watch upside down you will probably lose the teeny spring that connects the board to the speaker.  They usually aren't secured in, just dropped in a slot.

Def

I did not lose the spring. I noticed it was loose in there and made sure to not flip the watch over. One thing that did happen a few times was before I realized how to release the latch the whole unit wanted to come out of the case and lifted out a few times. There was a white sticker over the latch and battery, but it had to be removed to replace the battery and said something like "after battery replacement connect AC to (-) to reset". Which I did. There is just that one piece of metal I cannot figure out if it is supposed to be over or under the rubber piece in there.  :think: Like I said before its working fine, but it may not be correct.  :shrug: I'm just going to assume its fine. If the watch starts to act weird I will know where to go looking first.
I'm the milk man!

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 07:07:20 PM

Def

I did not lose the spring. I noticed it was loose in there and made sure to not flip the watch over. One thing that did happen a few times was before I realized how to release the latch the whole unit wanted to come out of the case and lifted out a few times. There was a white sticker over the latch and battery, but it had to be removed to replace the battery and said something like "after battery replacement connect AC to (-) to reset". Which I did. There is just that one piece of metal I cannot figure out if it is supposed to be over or under the rubber piece in there.  :think: Like I said before its working fine, but it may not be correct.  :shrug: I'm just going to assume its fine. If the watch starts to act weird I will know where to go looking first.

The sticker attached to the case back is the piezoelectric, that makes the alarm sound, normally that one it´s pretty hard to come off! also in all the g´s i disassemble the little spring, its harder to come out, looks like it will fall but if you´re carefully e can turn it down, i always remove screens with the spring in place, just don´t play with it, it´s kind of tricky is, to put it back on, because at the end it has a tinny part that comes out of the spring that helps to secure it in the hole, sorry is the best way my English allows me to explain!
Do you have a picture of that piece you´re talking about couldn´t it be sitting above the vibration motor? normally g´s inside have just one rubber part that is purpose is for the shock proof, i remember some of my multibands have another part of rubber that usually seats on the battery!
And don´t worry about the module moving it´s fine, but one you mount the all thing together be sure the metal buttons on the module seat behind the th buttons, sometimes the stay right above them´s, and the buttons wont respond when pressing it!
And youtube have lot´s of videos explaining how to change a battery, and basically it´s almost the same!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 07:11:28 PM by Ricardomfs »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 09:45:53 PM
I´m sorry, I an not iused to this sub-forum, so I am late to teh party. I´m glad your watch is still/again in working order. Another thing learned I guess, which is a good thing!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 11:58:10 PM
Well my alarm does not sound anymore.  :(
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 07:48:36 AM

If the "beeps" do not work either then,  take the case back off, rotate it by 180 degrees, and screw it back on, and it should work.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 07:50:50 AM by dks »

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 09:50:47 AM

If the "beeps" do not work either then,  take the case back off, rotate it by 180 degrees, and screw it back on, and it should work.

Yep. That might be the culprit.
Other causes that I have experienced on various G-Shocks:

The rubber between caseback and module is in teh wrong way round and blocks a contact

You have lost the (or more) contact spring(s)

The spring has been inserted in the wrong orifice (sometimes there are more modules sharing the same plastic carrier and not all holes are manned with springs on each of those modules)

The spring is not set to the contact pad on the bottom of the hole

The seal is not in it´s recess so taht teh caseback is not closed fully, not making contact to teh spring

In addition/instead of the spring there is a meatal tab to connect casback and module and/or speaker and module, this can be bent or hidden under a rubber mat placed teh wrong way.

I think it would be easiest to open up teh 2nd GD and see what differs in the one you changed the battery on.
Work slow on a clean desk.
Take pics.
Not more than 3 cups of coffe prior to working on teh watches.  ;)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 06:00:06 PM
I know the spring is in the watch. Is there only one spring?

Rotating the case back is ok? I rather not do that as it just seems like a work around and I want it correct.

Interesting you mention a metal tab. That's what I was referring to in earlier post that I did not know how it was set when I took the case back off. Is that tab supposed to be over or under the rubber. Mine was under initially and I know this as I took a few pictures when I took it off. How is the tab supposed to be orientated? I did bend it down a bit.

I have some initial pictures I will upload. Maybe that would help. They are mostly terrible pictures as I was wearing a headlamp doing it.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 06:37:00 PM
If the back was screwed the Wrong way up the spring may not touch the plastic part on it. It is the most usual cause of this problem.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 06:56:30 PM
If the back was screwed the Wrong way up the spring may not touch the plastic part on it. It is the most usual cause of this problem.

I do not understand what you are saying.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 07:51:56 PM
The letters at the front of the watch should be the same way up as the large letters/symbols on the back

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: April 11, 2016, 08:33:13 PM
The letters at the front of the watch should be the same way up as the large letters/symbols on the back

Ah ok. Yes it is.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #20 on: April 11, 2016, 08:36:22 PM
Just hit it with a hammer   :D

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #21 on: April 11, 2016, 09:49:48 PM

Rotating the case back is ok? I rather not do that as it just seems like a work around and I want it correct.

Interesting you mention a metal tab. That's what I was referring to in earlier post that I did not know how it was set when I took the case back off. Is that tab supposed to be over or under the rubber. Mine was under initially and I know this as I took a few pictures when I took it off. How is the tab supposed to be orientated? I did bend it down a bit.

I have some initial pictures I will upload. Maybe that would help. They are mostly terrible pictures as I was wearing a headlamp doing it.

That tab is supposed to make contact with the case back, the rubber should have a space to let it free to touch the case back, but that piece is not removable mate!
And Thomas is right f you have another, tak it down slowly and put the other one just like that!

here is a picture in WUS of your watch do you refer to that piece right behind the vibration motor?

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/gd-350-a-807056-22.html

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 09:55:04 PM
I will try to find some more pics of teh GD 350s module - Each module is a bit different, not all have a metal trab, not all have a spring. Some have both, some only a tab or two.

The orientation DKS mentioned was like he said, letters on the back and front shold be in the same orientation.

Please post your pics, too.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 10:12:30 PM

That tab is supposed to make contact with the case back, the rubber should have a space to let it free to touch the case back, but that piece is not removable mate!
And Thomas is right f you have another, tak it down slowly and put the other one just like that!

here is a picture in WUS of your watch do you refer to that piece right behind the vibration motor?

The first picture in the link. It's the little tab on the right. About 4 o'clock in reference to the picture. That one is facing up. I pushed mine down. I do not believe there is a hole in the rubber piece for it though.
I'm the milk man!

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 10:26:39 PM

The first picture in the link. It's the little tab on the right. About 4 o'clock in reference to the picture. That one is facing up. I pushed mine down. I do not believe there is a hole in the rubber piece for it though.

oww, that one, dindn´t notice it, but i have a few g´s that have it, and to be honest i think that is to help the module seat in the case! i think that does not make any kind of electronic contact! but i can be wrong!
On one side the alarm spring, that one needs to make contact with the sticker inside of the case back our the alarm will not sound!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 11:16:58 PM

oww, that one, dindn´t notice it, but i have a few g´s that have it, and to be honest i think that is to help the module seat in the case! i think that does not make any kind of electronic contact! but i can be wrong!
On one side the alarm spring, that one needs to make contact with the sticker inside of the case back our the alarm will not sound!

The spring is covered by the rubber piece. Always has been. There is no hole for it.

I am almost certain of this, but will check my pictures right now.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 11:19:18 PM
Wow, i'm a idiot. I think I put the ribber piece back in the wrong way.  :facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 11:30:05 PM
I think you did, AFAIK all g's have this type of alarm system, the spring always makes contact with the back plate, because the sound comes from that sticker the piezoelectric!

But congrats for being yourself changing the battery, it's almost always pretty easy, and you know you did it right, but first you have to try! I never let anyone besides me, to open any of the watchs that I have, I don't trust they re work! I have seen specialized people, and the only conclusion I take from seeing they re is, "owe, would you do the same if the watch was yours!?" !

And one more thing, never touch the battery with you're fingers! Always plastic tweezers!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 11:31:23 PM
Yup, that's what it was. I should of known as when putting the rubber piece back it felt like it was sitting a bit weird and I remember thinking about how the spring was under it. Right when I saw the picture I knew I had put the rubber piece in backwards and I was right. Its working perfectly now. Thanks everyone.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: April 12, 2016, 07:44:04 AM
Glad you could remedy the issue.
Ricardo, the DW 5600 E Module 1545 does use a tab instead of a spring for contact, IIRC the DW5600C does, too as screwbacks would dislocate the spring.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%