Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you carry your keys?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
How do you carry your keys?
on: April 10, 2016, 01:38:13 AM
So how do you carry your keys and other toys with you all day? What do you think is the best way? The carabiner, leather/nylon strap, or just loose in pocket? I always carried mine on a carabiner and hooked them to a belt loop, only thing was I got tired of hearing them bounce around while walking, so I made this little setup, so everything got strapped tight and nothing made any noise, only thing is I'm getting a little tired of it and it's a little annoying to take them off to use them, so I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the best way of carry?
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: How do you carry your keys?
Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 02:24:05 AM
Crabclaw
Nitecore Tube wrapped in Gorilla tape (mainly to protect it)
Leatherman Micra
Nite Ize Quickey
Philips #2 bit

I added the crab claw for suspension. I have them in my pocket, and clip the crab claw on the pocket. They hang in my pocket, but do not bounce around, and instead of sinking too low in the pocket, they just hang unnoticed.
I prefer the crab claw over a suspension clip because the crab claw retains better. It grabs the pocket securely, and even if my keys hop out of the pocket, they'll still be there.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 10:38:59 PM
I also have everything tied up by a steel wire, and the whole setup chained via carabiner/clip to the pocket or the belt loop in the  pants:

That way you have easy access

and avoid rattling/noises

I do this since I can remember, with all my keychain variations/setups
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:50:25 PM
Keys go in the pocket with everything else.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 10:55:53 PM
I can't stand everything in pocket, yeah the thin wallet, some change, or even the sak clipped to the pocket yeah, their flat, but anything else like the keys poking around, err..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 11:22:17 PM
I can't stand everything in pocket, yeah the thin wallet, some change, or even the sak clipped to the pocket yeah, their flat, but anything else like the keys poking around, err..
JR

I do not find actual keys pokey at all and carry a light and minichamp with them. No poking for me or I just do not notice it.  :shrug:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 12:16:08 AM
JR

I do not find actual keys pokey at all and carry a light and minichamp with them. No poking for me or I just do not notice it.  :shrug:
Well, I guess that's good in your case, but in mine no, and it sounds like we have the same setup, I got 4 keys, a mini sak, mini flashlight, and a few of those store cards.. But I just can't stand it..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 12:19:13 AM
Oh and it's not like my pants are tight, the pockets are loose and have room, so there not pulling or pressing anything against the leg?
JR

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 08:18:19 PM
Silent carry.

IMG_1362.JPG
* IMG_1362.JPG (Filesize: 333.01 KB)
IMG_1363.JPG
* IMG_1363.JPG (Filesize: 359.34 KB)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:19:45 PM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 08:50:20 PM
Key ring in left front pocket, along with 1) 2xAAA Streamlight Stylus Pro, 2) mini Sharpie and 3) coins, if any, and 4) whatever SAK I might carry that day.

What really bugs me is that the remote to my Chevy Suburban is pretty big, but I can't not carry it. 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 08:56:00 PM
Silent carry.
(Image removed from quote.)
That's nice, all my keys would fit, just not the flashlight or sak..
JR

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 09:47:14 PM
Silent carry.
JR

Do they absolutely have to be on the keyring? Or could you have just the two on a smaller keyring in the bottom of the pocket?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 09:56:58 PM
Silent carry.
JR

Do they absolutely have to be on the keyring? Or could you have just the two on a smaller keyring in the bottom of the pocket?
Yeah, that's how I always carried, just all on one. Idk, maybe because I remember my grandfather having one of those like 2" rings with like 20keys and one of those leather straps, and even one of those retractable cable things, idk..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 10:08:11 PM
This is one of my old setups, I put holes into the carabiner so it stayed apart rather then just all on one ring, I just need to be able to use only one hand and grab the keys and unlock the door, cause normally I'm holding something in the other, and normally it's always the right hand that full, that and cause the keys are on the left side..
JR

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 10:13:27 PM
Silent carry.
JR

That is right, I carry a full size Spirit, so i don't need SAK, and the flashlight is carried separately.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 10:21:19 PM
This is what I use.
I made the dangler from an old spoon. No rattling or jingling.

That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 11:01:26 PM
This is what I use. (Image removed from quote.)
I made the dangler from an old spoon. No rattling or jingling.

That's us mobile
Interesting!
JR

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 01:06:53 AM
Silent carry.
JR

Yeah, that's how I always carried, just all on one. Idk, maybe because I remember my grandfather having one of those like 2" rings with like 20keys and one of those leather straps, and even one of those retractable cable things, idk..
JR

Good, I'm just opening up for new ideas. I'll add some more thoughts while I'm at it.
First is that your keys seem to be quite 3-dimensional. It's natural with a light and so but it would possibly help with pointiness if you could minimise one of the dimensions. I know those carabiners are awesome but you might take a look at some swiveling solution (like what's used for fishing). With some luck that might help flatten everything.
Second is that it's possible that larger pockets might be a part of the problem. If it allows your keys to move around that could be why the seem to pointy. Whereas a slimmer pocket might keep them in check.

(yes, I might be overanalysing things...)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 02:24:31 AM
Silent carry.
JR

JR

Good, I'm just opening up for new ideas. I'll add some more thoughts while I'm at it.
First is that your keys seem to be quite 3-dimensional. It's natural with a light and so but it would possibly help with pointiness if you could minimise one of the dimensions. I know those carabiners are awesome but you might take a look at some swiveling solution (like what's used for fishing). With some luck that might help flatten everything.
Second is that it's possible that larger pockets might be a part of the problem. If it allows your keys to move around that could be why the seem to pointy. Whereas a slimmer pocket might keep them in check.

(yes, I might be overanalyzing things...)
Not at all, that's one of the biggest reasons why I love this forum! I'm open to suggestions the more the better, and everyone seems to love giving them, and with much detail! :D
JR

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 07:49:52 AM
So how do you carry your keys and other toys with you all day? What do you think is the best way? The carabiner, leather/nylon strap, or just loose in pocket? I always carried mine on a carabiner and hooked them to a belt loop, only thing was I got tired of hearing them bounce around while walking, so I made this little setup, so everything got strapped tight and nothing made any noise, only thing is I'm getting a little tired of it and it's a little annoying to take them off to use them, so I was just wondering what everyone thinks is the best way of carry?
JR

Hi!
I think you carry a Vic Money Clip, don't you?
How did you attach that ring? By drilling the scales
Thank you in advance!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: April 12, 2016, 05:44:46 PM
JR

Hi!
I think you carry a Vic Money Clip, don't you?
How did you attach that ring? By drilling the scales
Thank you in advance!
No to the Vic money clip, I carry a leather i.d. Clip.. What do you mean about the scales? The red military dogtag? That had one hole already, I just drilled another on the other side, then just stitched it on by looping threw the hole and then to the outside, not that to noticeable since I used red thread..
Hope that answered your question in advance, if not ask away.. lol..
JR

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #21 on: April 12, 2016, 06:31:47 PM
I carry my keys in my backpack

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 05:16:38 PM
Here's my hand-made pouch. Holds 2 keys, a car key, a Utili-key, and a tiny flashlight. But I could have sized it to hold almost anything. I made one for a friend recently that held 3 car keys( Biggies, each with remote), and three house keys. That rides in a purse.
Everything rides very comfortably, and zero noise. The "Tail" passes through the rear of the pouch, and attaches to one of the key-rings, so nothing gets lost and there's no need to disassemble anything during use.
IMG_0046.JPG
* IMG_0046.JPG (Filesize: 219.26 KB)
IMG_0047.JPG
* IMG_0047.JPG (Filesize: 193.13 KB)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:22:16 PM by neillcurrie »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: April 13, 2016, 06:14:11 PM
Here's my hand-made pouch. Holds 2 keys, a car key, a Utili-key, and a tiny flashlight. But I could have sized it to hold almost anything. I made one for a friend recently that held 3 car keys( Biggies, each with remote), and three house keys. That rides in a purse.
Everything rides very comfortably, and zero noise. The "Tail" passes through the rear of the pouch, and attaches to one of the key-rings, so nothing gets lost and there's no need to disassemble anything during use.
Very interesting, I have a leather kit that is simular, I just never got to it..
JR

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2016, 01:39:47 AM
I put my keys on a titanium sail ring. Nice and simple, yet quite boring!   :rofl:  I've been using the titanium sail ring for 10 years now and I haven't lost it.   :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #25 on: April 27, 2016, 09:21:40 PM
My darn keys and the darn keyring is a myth I´m still trying to solve.

I carry mine on a carbine. With splint rings and a Vic Minichamp or Classic or Micra etc.

I was thinking about a WunderKey. But way too expensive for my taste.

It rattles like hell - so I just put them into the bag during the day. As I use access key card at work to open doors and such, it is ok for me.
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #26 on: April 27, 2016, 10:25:54 PM
Here's maybe. Using a carbon fiber clip.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1461787168723.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1461787168723.jpg (Filesize: 74.48 KB)

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 07:16:17 AM
Sorry for bad pic. But, it's the KeySmart. And I like it much better than a loose key ring. I recommend it, and it's a fraction of the cost vs. the keybar (slimmer and lighter too)

image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 291.5 KB)
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 08:43:14 AM
Mine are tucked into a Micra. The rest for trailers, hitch locks,  gates, and the such are all kept in the truck.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 06:39:26 PM
My darn keys and the darn keyring is a myth I´m still trying to solve.

I carry mine on a carbine. With splint rings and a Vic Minichamp or Classic or Micra etc.

I was thinking about a WunderKey. But way too expensive for my taste.

It rattles like hell - so I just put them into the bag during the day. As I use access key card at work to open doors and such, it is ok for me.

Mine have gone thru many revisions and I've yet to be happy. 

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD