Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which do you prefer, rubber, leather, nylon or metal?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
No, I'm not talking about adult parties in the local trailer park or no-tell motel, I'm asking about straps.

In my younger days I always felt that leather cracked too much and wasn't really waterproof enough, although I preferred the feel of it.  Then I got a watch with a rubber strap and I thought that was the greatest thing ever.

Then I tried The Band, which is a long strip of nylon with velcro on it, and I really liked those too, especially since it meant that if I broke a pin (something that has happened often, and cost me more watches than I want to admit) I still got to keep my watch.  The only drawback to these bands is that they don't breathe well, and if you are doing any activity or are just wearing it on a hot day it can become quite uncomfortable.

Then I found the NATO type bands and I've been hooked ever since.  I have watches with all kinds of bands, but I have to say, the NATO type band is my favorite by far.

Lowest on my list is the bracelet- I have never found one that didn't rip hair out of my arm at some point or another, except this one that I had long ago which was like a micro chain maille.  I haven't actually seen one like that since, but that was actually pretty nice and I would probably get another if I found one.

What does everyone else prefer, and why?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline pauliedoggs

• What's brown and sounds like a bell? Dung!!
Re: Which do you prefer, rubber, leather, nylon or metal?
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 06:31:36 AM
I'm the opposite.  I prefer the steel bracelet for a few reasons.
1) In the winter, a leather, NATO or ZULU strap has too many protrusions that catch on the inside of the cuff of my winter jacket.  A bracelet does not.
2) With an adjustable diver's clasp, you can loosen or tighten the bracelet quickly and easily without removing the watch.
3) Bracelets are the most flexible (at least the type I wear). I have 6.5" wrists so a bracelet will conform to my wrist way more than a rubber one will. 
4) They are waterproof.  They dry quickly and you can clean them with a toothbrush in the shower
5) If you get the right type, hair pinching is a minimum.

The one pictured is my Frankenbracelet.  It's a Strapcode Super Engineer Type I bracelet with a HEXA watches adjustable clasp.  It's attached to my Borealis Sea Dragon

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 10:52:22 AM
Overall I prefer rubber as my hands sweat a lot and canvas and leather begin to smell really quickly and My arms are too hairy to comfortable wear a bracelet.

BUT rubber doesn't last very long in my experience so I have a NATO strap that is comfortable and most importantly, washable!

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 01:01:40 PM
Because i work a lot around cars and machines i have chosen for the rubber strap on my suunto core.
If it ever gets caught behind a rotating part etc... the rubber band will probably tear apart. Metal and nylon however are extremely though and will probably seriously injure my wrist.
Its also light, never feels cold and is comfy.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 02:10:48 PM
I prefer metal bracelets, but only if the links are solid. The hollow link bracelets pull hair and feel cheap.

Straps: I prefer Zulu straps over NATO straps. Zulus are thicker and not as fussy (they don't have that extra strap thingy).

us Offline Joe58

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 04:43:21 PM
I switch everything to the nylon/leather "Swiss Army" type watch bands.

I'm a pretty skinny guy and don't care for the heavier metal kind, or the thicker and stiffer all leather.

The nylon/leather type seem to offer light, strong, and durable.

Today's wear is my old Vietnam era watch that I added the strap to.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 100.75 KB)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:51:09 PM by Joe58 »
🇨🇭

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 05:20:14 PM
As I wear my G shock mostly I use rubber straps and like them very much.   I don't mind metal or leather either depending on the watch.   I easy going when it comes to things like that.  I do not my watch straps fitting tightly.  I like a small bit of movement on my wrist.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 06:08:42 PM
No, I'm not talking about adult parties in the local trailer park or no-tell motel, I'm asking about straps.

(...)
Def

Huh... That's the same thing, right?!...

:think: :think: :think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Joe58

Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:00:31 PM
A few years back, I did try the Flava Flav method, but ended up abandoning it. Just kept getting in the way when I was mowing, fishing, and shooting prone just got to be a PITA. On the plus side, nobody asked me if I knew the time. And in church, I could just kinda clear my throat and tap my chest when the sermon was going a little long.

And my kids didn't want to be seen with me for some odd reason.

🇨🇭

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 07:06:40 PM
Did you wear digital or analog?  Also I'd imagine it would be best to have 2, one display could read military time while the other standard.   :rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 07:29:10 PM
The Zulu strap is my favourite.

Light and comfortable and quiet.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 07:46:29 PM
Metal. I carry the Casio less and less now. I like the functions on it but prefer a metal bracelet watch, like the Seiko 5.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 09:19:53 PM
Ah, when you say metal do you mean stainless steel or titanium ? I used to think I'd hate rubber ... but you know what I was wrong. Here's my Chris Ward C11 Titanium Extreme on rubber.
Extreme desk diving.jpg
* Extreme desk diving.jpg (Filesize: 112.46 KB)
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 10:46:33 PM
Leather and cloth.  Rubber seems to have the worst propensity to tear.     Metal, as on my old Benrus dress watch, pinches.    I plan to replace the leather strap on my Timex Expedition analog with a NATO band eventually.

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 11:08:32 PM
I like them all  :whistle:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 09:29:07 AM
They all have their advantages, but lately I have grown more and more fond of rubber. (OK, that sentence really shouldn't be taken out of context...) It's quick to dry off when it gets wet, quick and easy to clean, and comfortable.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #16 on: April 12, 2016, 10:26:59 AM
I am very fond of Swatch silicone straps -initially I thought I wouldn't like them.

The resin strap on my Casio is doing very well so far -first one I've worn in twenty years.

Leather is very comfy and elegant (but a bit easily degradable on my sweaty wrist).

Nylon straps and metal bracelets I've never worn. I might try nylon ones. Metal ones, I have nothing against them, it's just that they don't really suit me (and they're pinchy...).
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2016, 01:32:22 PM
Thinking about it, I don't think I have any watch straps in real rubber, I was really talking about resin straps, which obviously aren't the same thing. (OK, rubber is technically a resin, but not all resins are rubber.)

If the watch is to be worn 24/7 metal bracelets are pretty nice, since they don't start smelling... :)

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2016, 06:17:43 PM
Meh, my favorite is steel or leather, but then THIS happened;

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2016, 10:21:09 PM
Showoff!  :-P

Mind you I probably would be too if I had a sweet watch like that!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 03:09:10 AM
It depends on the watch and on the day for me, as well as what the watch is meant to do. I like Zulu bands for tool watches because they're comfortable and tough, rubber for working watches (like G-shocks) because they're easy to clean and don't soak anything up, leather for dressier watches (I couldn't imagine my Panerai homage on anything other than chestnut leather), and steel is nice for some watches like the Casio A168. While I like my Invicta 8926 on its current black Zulu strap and on its dressing-up-for-the-day nine stripe movie authentic James Bond MOD NATO strap, there's something about the looks of a Submariner type watch on a tapered steel oyster bracelet.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 03:20:56 PM
That's better!

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 03:44:25 PM
The resin strap on my G-Shock is the only strap I've had that's actually lasted on me.  Leather and rubber disintegrate quickly on me, and I don't like how most metal bands pull hair, or how heavy they are.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 04:55:26 PM
"No, I'm not talking about adult parties in the local trailer park or no-tell motel..."

Lame.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: April 22, 2016, 12:24:43 PM
"No, I'm not talking about adult parties in the local trailer park or no-tell motel..."

Lame.

Story of my life..... :P

Def

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #25 on: April 23, 2016, 04:48:35 AM
I prefer metal or nylon or canvas.  I have big wrists.  Leather bands tear, rubber, diver's bands are hard to come by in my size and they also tear.  Metal bands last but I can only use one with extra links.  I have a Rado watch around here somewhere and when I got it it had to go back to the swatch group to have the band resized.  The watch I wear most often is a Citizen Eco-Drive and when I couldn't find a band that fit me I made one out of a dog collar and that is what has been on there since at least 2004.  I'd like to replace it now but all I can find these days are dog collars with plastic, quick release buckles.
P1100941.JPG
* P1100941.JPG (Filesize: 83.69 KB)

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 25, 2016, 04:41:55 AM
Usually I like NATO bands but my Casio F91w won't fit a NATO strap so I went with a Velcro strap and it has been pretty bulletproof and pretty cheap.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 10:40:15 PM
I prefer metal or nylon or canvas.  I have big wrists.  Leather bands tear, rubber, diver's bands are hard to come by in my size and they also tear.  Metal bands last but I can only use one with extra links.  I have a Rado watch around here somewhere and when I got it it had to go back to the swatch group to have the band resized.  The watch I wear most often is a Citizen Eco-Drive and when I couldn't find a band that fit me I made one out of a dog collar and that is what has been on there since at least 2004.  I'd like to replace it now but all I can find these days are dog collars with plastic, quick release buckles.

You need a dog collar to go around your wrist?  Holy crap!

I have scrawny little girly wrists, and it has only been the last decade or so that I have fattened up enough to not wear every watch on the smallest hole.   :ahhh

Def

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #28 on: April 27, 2016, 07:47:11 AM

You need a dog collar to go around your wrist?  Holy crap!

I have scrawny little girly wrists, and it has only been the last decade or so that I have fattened up enough to not wear every watch on the smallest hole.   :ahhh

Def

I'm a big guy, 6'2" and 300 lbs.  My wrist diameter is 8 inches. The dog collar was for a large dog so it was the right width and I cut the length down to 10 and 1/4 inches and burned holes where I needed them with a hot nail.  My Swiss Army watch has the largest diver band I could find and it barely fits in the last hole and there's not enough left over to secure the end of the strap.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 12:59:55 PM
Have you tried paracord watch bands?  You could either find someone to do them for you in whatever size you like or you could tie them yourself?

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%