Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another greedy seller on eBay community?

us Offline JustinCase

Another greedy seller on eBay community?
on: July 21, 2018, 10:45:30 PM
I'm not familiar or interested in the LEATHERMAN Vista Pruner multi Tool and have no desire on purchasing one, but for those who own one, are they really worth that much money only because is discontinued? :think:....Or this is just one more greedy seller on the eBay community? Just curious and trying to learn more about Leatherman tools :D
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHERMAN-Vista-Hunting-Pruner-Multi-Tool-with-Camo-Sheath-Discontinued-Rare/323360362523?hash=item4b49c7901b:g:57QAAOSwvOZbU1u2
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Re: Another greedy seller on eBay community?
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:00:47 PM
I realy don't know the value on that tool but I would say you are most likely correct. 
Now how about this engraved "RARE" Victorinox Spirit from Japan...

HERE's the link if anyone is interested. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/573-Japan-USED-VICTORINOX-Swiss-tool-spirit-3-0227-L1-rare-item-masa/192576042486?hash=item2cd66d35f6%3Ag%3A8bUAAOSwYUdbLDyN&_sacat=0&_nkw=Swisstool&LH_ItemCondition=4&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0%7C0
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:16:13 PM
I would say they aren't worth that but most of the time they go in the $200 plus range :ahhh

About Doug's though :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:rofl:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:35:59 PM
 :pok: :pok: C'mon Ponco, :pok: :pok:
You know you need to add to your "RARE" MT collection
 :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok: :pok:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 11:56:21 PM
Looked at them for years but never will have one unless I can get one cheap :cry: :D

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 11:56:40 PM
I would say they aren't worth that but most of the time they go in the $200 plus range :ahhh

About Doug's though :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

:rofl:

I haven’t been watching prices in a long time but I remember the Vista normally in the $160 - $220 range.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2018, 12:36:32 AM
Hay CAP'
 :waving: :waving:
Good to see ya' round been a while. :cheers:
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 12:39:48 AM
Looked at them for years but never will have one unless I can get one cheap :cry: :D
Am I to understand you don't have a Spirit?   That leads to the next question.  So what do you call cheap?
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 01:48:46 AM
Am I to understand you don't have a Spirit?   That leads to the next question.  So what do you call cheap?

I meant that about the LM :D I do have a Spirit (never can remember the model ::) ) and a Swisstool X :cheers: I have carried them both in 30 day challenges but they never can seem to knock out any of my LM for an EDC spot :D I don't know what I consider cheap but I do have set prices for most MTs in my head what I will pay if I am on the search :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2018, 02:31:16 AM
Hay CAP'
 :waving: :waving:
Good to see ya' round been a while. :cheers:

Thanks! Nice to see you too!

I’ve got a lot going on lately but I still check the forum. Just don’t post as much as I used to.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2018, 06:54:01 AM
I have a spending cap. It is usually under $100. And I only pay that for really awesome tools(my average spent on brand name rare and discontinued tools is $50) The Vista shears don't speak to me and look like they should only cost $65 or so. IMO of course. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

dk Offline MMR

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2018, 09:25:46 AM
You see the same stuff on the car community, those “I know what I got” and “ it will be a future classic / collectors item”

In any case with a completely deluded seller, just stay away. It’s the only way they will learn that people are not morons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind regards,

MMR

-------------------------------------------------
"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."
- Andrew Ryan
-------------------------------------------------

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 12:00:56 PM
I see this more and more, with sellers "trying it on" with sky high prices.  Ultimately the market will decide if it is reasonable or not:  if it sells then the asking price was appropriate, if it doesn't sell then it was too expensive.  Sometimes I see some bidders get in a bidding war for something that doesn't come up for sale very often, and after that the next lot of sellers think that high water mark is the "new" price (and sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 03:06:24 PM
I get a kick out of this one, which has been up for months.  I mean, it's a very nice knife, it's new old stock and mint-in-box, but 700 bucks?  He can't be serious....

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 03:39:01 PM
I have a spending cap. It is usually under $100. And I only pay that for really awesome tools(my average spent on brand name rare and discontinued tools is $50) The Vista shears don't speak to me and look like they should only cost $65 or so. IMO of course. :tu:

Pretty much me as well :tu: I just didn't really know how to put it in terms like this since every tool I bid on is different and I have those certain prices in my head :tu: My average is lower than $50 most of the times though :salute:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 04:45:51 PM
I see this more and more, with sellers "trying it on" with sky high prices.  Ultimately the market will decide if it is reasonable or not:  if it sells then the asking price was appropriate, if it doesn't sell then it was too expensive.  Sometimes I see some bidders get in a bidding war for something that doesn't come up for sale very often, and after that the next lot of sellers think that high water mark is the "new" price (and sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't).

Pretty much this.

:tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 07:48:14 PM
Reminds me of the film 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels'

Nick the Greek: Dunno Tom. Seems expensive.

Tom: Seems? Well, this seems to be a waste of my time. That is 900 nicker in any shop you're lucky enough to find one in. And you're complaining about 200? What school of finance did you study? "It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the sale of the smurfing century!" In fact, smurf it Nick, I think I'll keep it!

Nick the Greek: All right all right, keep your Alans on!

[Peels off notes from his wad]

Nick the Greek: Here's a ton.

Tom, Eddie: Jesus Christ!

Eddie: You could choke a dozen donkeys on that! And you're haggling over one hundred pound? What d'you do when you're not buying stereos Nick? Finance revolutions?

Nick the Greek: 100 pounds is still 100 pounds.

Tom: Not when the price is 200 pounds it's not! And certainly not when you've got Liberia's deficit in your skyrocket. Tighter than a duck's butt you are. Now, c'mon. Lemme feel the fibre of your fabric.

Markets are valued by what people are prepared to pay
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:49:50 PM by Smashie »
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline cody6268

Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 10:46:02 PM
Sometimes I wonder if its greed, or simply because they're attached to it and don't want to sell it--then why list the stinkin' thing in the first place.

Another category is the picker/reseller type. I hate them at flea markets as they make sure to buy up anything worth buying before anything else gets there and list it on eBay, often the next day.

us Offline Captain Hook

• Don't read this......You rebel you ;)
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 03:55:42 AM
MAN greedy sellers get on my nerves sometimes. You just have to be vigilant in searching and maybe find a good seller you like doing repeat business with.
Sometimes people don't really know what they have on their hands so they overprice it accidentally.
And some people get ripped off themselves so they try to rip you off to get their money back...
But I have found Ebay useful and it has definitely helped me grow my knife collection and save money doing so.
~Formerly _MattGyver_ ~

us Offline JustinCase

Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 04:53:25 AM
MAN greedy sellers get on my nerves sometimes. You just have to be vigilant in searching and maybe find a good seller you like doing repeat business with.
Sometimes people don't really know what they have on their hands so they overprice it accidentally.
And some people get ripped off themselves so they try to rip you off to get their money back...
But I have found Ebay useful and it has definitely helped me grow my knife collection and save money doing so.

On the other hand, sometimes people don't really know what they have so they underprice it accidentally. Two weeks ago, I was lucky enough to find a close to new, black oxide mini-tool with  the nylon sheath for $35 with free shipping. It was just listed 2 minutes before I found it so, now I'm not sure if I should feel guilty or lucky, but I just couldn't let it go at that price :o
“It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I try a little longer to solve the problem"

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 08:48:28 AM
I don't think the Vista is overpriced.. I mean he has a Make Offer button.. probably he's trying to squeeze the most out of it.. I bet that if someone Offers 200 USD, he'll sell it.

But the Spirit one is ridiculous.
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: July 23, 2018, 09:57:40 AM
Ultimately the market will decide if it is reasonable or not:  if it sells then the asking price was appropriate, if it doesn't sell then it was too expensive.
:tu:
Do we call people greedy for trying to get the best possible price when they sell their house? No. People have a choice to not buy.

I should really sell my Vista... perhaps I will wait a little longer.  :whistle:  People could call me greedy if they want but I have bills to pay.  :-\

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2018, 10:46:00 AM
I partly blame desperate buyers(can't wait to get what they want) for inflated prices on frivolous goods(MTs). If people, as a goup of hobbyists/collectors/users, avoid buying high, we could drive prices down to a reasonable amount over time.
But, we know the old saying. "A fool and his money."  ;)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%