Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is your favorite SAK in your collection/arsenal and why?

us Offline Pile Driver

Could be on a functionality standpoint for EDC use, or from a purely collectible standpoint

My favorite SAK in my collection would be this 4 rivet Wenger Tahara with early red plastic like scales. My goal is to learn more about it, what the scale material is, the manufacture date etc. It does look like a Wengerinox knife but it is not, the Suisse crossbow badge is slightly different.

The seller stated that it was found in a box of US WWII medals from a relative's European tour, a spoil/souvenir of war as it were which greatly interests me. (Shame they would sell the item to be honest, but it's got a great home.)
20160328_130307_resized.jpg
* 20160328_130307_resized.jpg (Filesize: 148.7 KB)
20160328_130331_resized.jpg
* 20160328_130331_resized.jpg (Filesize: 157.51 KB)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:22:07 PM by Pile Driver »

00 Offline Ramón Kolb

• New User
That's a great knife! I don't know much about the history, but the story alone...

My favorite knife hasn't been built yet, but will be over the next few weekends. I have all the parts, including a few colors celidor Plus scales but I'm still thinking about something better for the scales...

us Offline Pile Driver

That's a great knife! I don't know much about the history, but the story alone...

My favorite knife hasn't been built yet, but will be over the next few weekends. I have all the parts, including a few colors celidor Plus scales but I'm still thinking about something better for the scales...

(Image removed from quote.)

I like the conceptual drawings, you will definitely have to come back and post the real steel!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Whichever one is in my pocket at any given time, so about 30 favorites?

But surprisingly enough it's my economy Climber. Sad but true.  :)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 148.95 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
OC Farmer

Wanted a nice one since I lost mine in the fire 10 years ago.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Pile Driver

OC Farmer

I don't think you could find one in a nicer state, and that leather ring handle hatchet? Pure Bad-assery.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
I think it would have to be a Tinker.  I've got a slightly older model with a thicker tang that I ground the keyring loop off and fitted white scales to.  It's the perfect blend of size and function, looks great and feels like a worn pebble in my pocket.

us Offline Pile Driver

I think it would have to be a Tinker.  I've got a slightly older model with a thicker tang that I ground the keyring loop off and fitted white scales to.  It's the perfect blend of size and function, looks great and feels like a worn pebble in my pocket.

come back later with a picture when able? Tinker is my favorite carry, I can't stand using anything more than 3 layers at the most. Climber, Hiker, Tinker, maybe Spartan is my favorite carry because of how original it is.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
That is a extremely tough question for me to answer, but I do have one I cherish even though I know one day it will no longer be mine. I have a black Pioneer that has my nephews name engraved on one side of the blade and his birth date on the other side of the blade. I actually had two of them identically done. I gave one to my brother after his son was born and I will keep the other NIB until the time comes when I decide to give it to him. I hope my brother will still have his to show him and compare them. It would be cool if my brothers is all worn from many years of use and his is NIB. I really like that knife because one day it will be my nephews and I hope he cherishes it as much as I do.
I'm the milk man!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake

come back later with a picture when able? Tinker is my favorite carry, I can't stand using anything more than 3 layers at the most. Climber, Hiker, Tinker, maybe Spartan is my favorite carry because of how original it is.

Will do.  You've decided for me what I'll be carrying tomorrow. :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
I don't think I have a favourite. I have a special liking for the Climber, the first "real one" I got, but also like many of the others, for different reasons.
 :think: :think:

Maybe in a few years I can answer this...
 :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
I think mine would have to be my modded Woodsman. Since I replaced the small blade with the in-line awl, it's my perfect set up.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
OC Farmer

I don't think you could find one in a nicer state, and that leather ring handle hatchet? Pure Bad-assery.

:D Thanks!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
OC Farmer as it was my first and love the character it has.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Whichever one is in my pocket at any given time, so about 30 favorites?

+1...I don't quite have 30 favorites, but yes, "whichever one is in my pocket at any given time"

:gimme:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

gb Offline K9medic

[/URL]

My second SAK (the first grow legs), a Champion I bought sometime in the mid 80's.  Been in my pocket or daysack most days since. 

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
My OH Nomad that I changed the scales on :)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 185.03 KB)
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
For me it is between my two Syph customs, the MechaRogue

and TiRogueneer. 

If forced to pick, I have to go with my MechaRogue.  I carried it almost exclusively since I got it early last year.  Nothing, not even my TiRogueneer, has kept it out of my pocket for long.  I've developed a sort of bond with it, and don't feel quite right when carrying something else.  Strange I know, to have a bond like that, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this place ;)

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Pile Driver

I find those tools too nice to carry lol, must have set you back no?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
I find those tools too nice to carry lol, must have set you back no?
Oh yes they did, especially since the MechaRogue has had a couple revisions.  They are both nearly identical in tool loadout, but I just seem to prefer the feel of the MechaRogue more.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

K-Tibbs

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
This is a tough one, but the one I find going out for the day and I feel most comfortable carrying is my Tinker.  I think because it's a Tinker....nothing fancy, slim, and downright handy!
DSCN1094.JPG
* DSCN1094.JPG (Filesize: 245.99 KB)
Barry

us Offline Joe58

Has been the alox Electricians. For myself, it equates to the same as a traditional equal end or cigar jack pocket knife with the two blades that are most useful across a broad range of needs. One of the most popular traditional patterns ever. The awl and bottle opener are just a bonus.

And the alox scales are near indestructible. And after long carry, alox just keeps looking better and better. And alox scoffs at keys, change, and whatever other diatribe it shares the pocket with.

At its closed length, it's just right for pocket carry in the jeans, but still offers a sturdy set of blades, in a lightweight package.

What's not to like?

And rust? What's that?  :D

🇨🇭

us Offline powernoodle

I noted recently in another thread that the Explorer Plus is my longstanding favorite.  It has pretty much everything I want, and a little that I don't want.  The main blade, inline phillips, magnifier and pen get most of the usage.  I would reduce it to three layers if I could (Yeoman), but four layers is still doable in the pocket.  Other top favorites include the Manager and Compact.

us Offline NetsNJ

My favorite model is the Wenger Swiss Sportsman.  I've picked up a few of them as they are discontinued.  (Too lazy to take a photo, so stock photo will do.)

✔ Locking blade
✔ Locking flat driver
✔ A functional inline phillips ( :ahhh )
✔ Corkscrew
✔ Wenger scissors (I prefer these to Vic)
✔ Wenger can opener (I prefer these to Vic)

To me this knife has the best all-around tool set for its size of any SAK, Vic or Wenger.

If these babies had Evo scales...I'd be in heaven.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
I have dozens of SAK's in all different colors and scales, different tool configurations, but the one I carry the most is the Compact.

Why?

It has everything I need on the average day in the most minimalistic size.

It is also the first SAK I bought :facepalm:

Should have just stopped there, but noooo, I let myself be infected with the SAK buying virus  :D
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
This used tinker I found in a antique/junk shop for 10 dollars.

Why?

It called to me. I usually do not EVER go into those kind of shops. ut a few days after we arrived in Georgetown Texas on our mover from Maryland, we were downtown at the courthouse square, and I had this urge to go into the junk shop. There in a case of rusty, dirty old junk pocket knives was this nice red almost new tinker, with the factory edge still on it. I had to rescue it. So now it's been 5 1/2 months, and the tinker is my "one" knife that I carry now. Very weird. Once in a while I'll slip another kife in my pocket for the day, but it just feels wrong, and I can't wait till I get home to put the tinker back in my pocket.

In the past 5 1/2 months of setting up a new home in Texas, the tinker has done a heck of a job unpacking/opening boxes, cutting miles of shrink wrap and tape, made starter holes for wood screws, pulled old nails out of wall board the previous owner had put up to hang stuff up, brown down all the moving boxes for recycle, and a zillion other small day t day jobs.

I will not be without it. It makes a great team mate for my little keyring classic.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:26:03 AM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
I really can't single one SAK out; if I were really hard pressed I think I'd choose the Pioneer/alox Soldier.

Here's a list of my favourites per size :D

58mm:   alox Rambler
74mm:   Moneyclip
84mm:   Recruit
91mm:   Huntsman arm wrestling with Handyman
93mm:   Pioneer/alox Soldier arm wrestling with Rancher
111mm: (slidelock models) Workchamp
111mm: (linerlock models)  It's a melee between the Forester, the Soldier 2008 and the Fireman

As you probably realise, I prefer Victorinox offerings over Wenger and now Delemont's. Honorable mention though to my Ivanhoe and ST17 that I quite like.

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline LoopCutter

My Vagabond -

Had one since 1998 in my pocket every day unless lost two summers ago.  My found a replacement for this past Christmas, actual two, 1 with flat driver blade and one either the 3D Phillips.
Every tool gets used, but like the small blade best, then the drivers.  The scissors and file are just convenient. 

*via Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
This one right there that's my favorite.

IMG_20160225_083858.jpg
* IMG_20160225_083858.jpg (Filesize: 207.83 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Such a straight forward question yet so darn difficult to answer.

I love them all or I would have moved them on  :D

Swiss champ seems to get the most carry time.
Manager is never off my auto keys and is used often.
Explorer is almost perfect so it sees lots of use.
Deluxe Tinker was a surprise to me in how much I like this tool.
Minichamp is...........  its a fricken Minichamp for goodness sake.
Champion is my work carry and also surprised me how great it is.  Thought I'd miss the plier but not so much.
Cadet 2 is my house carry tool.
SI sees companion duty to my little 58's.

Each tool has its own personality and as such gets carried for particular reasons and situation.

Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD