Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Analogue or digital?

Gareth · 56 · 4192

Poll

Which do you prefer?

Analogue
20 (55.6%)
Digital
12 (33.3%)
Hybrid
4 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Re: Analogue or digital?
Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 04:21:15 AM
I used to be an analogue watch man but I can't give up the practicality (hourly chime, alarm, stopwatch) of a digital watch. Casio digi's do it for me these days  :cheers:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

au Offline Gadget

• Aussie in Norway
Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 06:24:10 AM
Hi,

I have been wearing analogue watches 99.999% of my watch wearing life.
I sometimes collect military watches and every now and then I buy a G-shock (and I just picked up a Suunto X-Lander military), then I go straight back to analogue............ digital is not easy to read quickly (just a little reflection and the display is gone) and you need two hands at night time (have to push a button to illuminate it).

So it's analogue for me (although I like my Suunto on my backpack strap in the mountains for the altimeter & compass) :tu:.

cheers, John

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:27:03 AM by Gadget »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 11:59:35 AM
That's assuming that you have good gitd hands on the watch.   One failing my G Shock ga-100 has its that there's no lume on the dial or the hands, which means you are dependent on the light which is actually really dim and doesn't really light it up that well.

Of course its a hell of a lot better than my other G which doesn't have a light at all.   It always amused me that the watch tells you what year it is, but can't tell you anything in the dark. ....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 09:35:51 PM
Digital:

- Easier to read.
- Strongers
- 10 years of buttery run (maintenance nearly to 0 until then)
- I break the analogues when I have to put the hour or the date. I break the mechanisms. I am very clumsy with them (and I know the rule of no touching them between 9PM and 9AM...)

I'm not sure I'd concur with you. Politely of course. No disrespect intended.
... Got him one with a larger display, lightweight, etc., Had the time and date at a glance. Gave it right back to me. Always wore a wind up.

And a question - I'm not familiar with the no touching between 9 and 9. Explain please?

Thanks!!

If you set the date on a mechanical watch between 21h and 9h, it will change the date at noon and not at midnight. It does not know if it is 12 or 00 hours and just changes the date every second turn of the hour hand.

And mainly because you can broke the date mechanism, because between those hours the date changes

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 09:39:48 PM
Hi,

I sometimes collect military watches and every now and then I buy a G-shock (and I just picked up a Suunto X-Lander military), then I go straight back to analogue............ digital is not easy to read quickly (just a little reflection and the display is gone) and you need two hands at night time (have to push a button to illuminate it).

So it's analogue for me (although I like my Suunto on my backpack strap in the mountains for the altimeter & compass) :tu:.

cheers, John

??? ??? ???

You say is faster interpreting the meaning of the hands of a digital watch than turn the wrist and see the digits???

How many times you are in a total darkness situation? At the cinema and when you wake up? 
Nearly always the light is enough to read the hour

In my opinion any G-Shock is much stronger and reliable than any analogic watch, and for 10 years.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 11:55:07 PM
Don't forget some G Shocks have Auto EL Function.  Simply tilt the watch and led turns on.   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 11:09:32 AM
??? ??? ???

You say is faster interpreting the meaning of the hands of a digital watch than turn the wrist and see the digits???

It is actually very much faster for someone used to analog watches, because you don't interpret them. You don't think numbers or language or anything like that at all, you just “see” the time. It's like the difference between seeing a face and reading a name. I've had that discussion many times, and I wonder if it's an age thing. You must have your brain wired up for analog watches to be that much faster, i.e. having worn one for a long time. My wife is more used to digital watches, and she had your reaction when I mentioned analog watches being faster to read. (I suspect there's a reason most instruments intended to be read fast are dials, not digits.)

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 11:18:02 AM
I can´t decide.
I find an analog watch much faster to read at a glance, but I do like the functionality a digital watch adds.
I am wearing a G-Shock digital watch most of the time but I do like my simple Analog watches.
My dream watch would be a IWC Mark something I guess - But i tend to bump my watches into walls and stuff...

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 12:31:24 PM
For a dress up occasion, I think analogue is the way to go.  For daily wear, it has to be a digital, and preferably my G-Shock solar atomic.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #39 on: April 20, 2016, 03:17:57 PM
Hi,

cheers, John

??? ??? ???

How many times you are in a total darkness situation? At the cinema and when you wake up? 
Nearly always the light is enough to read the hour

In my opinion any G-Shock is much stronger and reliable than any analogic watch, and for 10 years.
Uh, check out the Victorinox INOX. Stronger than any g-shock, and yes, I tested it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: April 20, 2016, 04:31:41 PM
Luminox also has a reputation as being a "tough" watch and is analogue to boot.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Joe58

Reply #41 on: April 20, 2016, 09:23:24 PM
I may be wrong on this, frequently am, but whenever I see pictures or whatever of the hard core "operator" guys, they always seem to be wearing some type of analog watch. And those type of soldiers are typically in some very hard use situations.
🇨🇭

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 08:11:05 AM
I may be wrong on this, frequently am, but whenever I see pictures or whatever of the hard core "operator" guys, they always seem to be wearing some type of analog watch. And those type of soldiers are typically in some very hard use situations.

They get paid at a higher rate than regular soldiers and they don't have much else to spend their money on.  Besides, you can ransom yourself out of a bad situation if you have a Rolex to trade and that just doesn't work as well if you're wearing a Casio.  I worked with a State Department guy once and he had a Rolex on but he kept asking me the time.  I finally got a good look at his watch and it was dished out and the face looked like a smear.  He said it had stopped a bullet.  I suspect a Casio wouldn't work as well for that either.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 09:48:30 PM
Analog works for my old eyes better than digital. Plus when asked what time it is I say things like, "half past", "a quarter til", "top of the hour". Just doesn't fit with a digital really.

Here's my old Citizen BM6400 which they don't make anymore which I wear most of the time. I it had bead blasted by Duarte at NE Watch Works many years ago when I got it. Here is the picture he sent to me when it was finished.

citizen.jpg
* citizen.jpg (Filesize: 52.47 KB)
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: April 27, 2016, 10:05:16 PM
Love that bead blasted look. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sixracer

Analogue or digital?
Reply #45 on: April 28, 2016, 06:09:40 AM
BOTH!

Analog is elegant, quick. Digital gives you the timers, alarms, dual time, etc. Before this one I had 2 generations of Citizen Skyhawk and-digi powered by solar.

--
Sent from mobile, please excuse typos
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 06:12:07 AM by sixracer »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: April 28, 2016, 03:45:03 PM
Anoligital?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: April 28, 2016, 03:45:17 PM
Manumatic?

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #48 on: April 28, 2016, 03:49:41 PM
Weide has several analogue and LED combined models

http://www.weidewatch.com/
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #49 on: April 28, 2016, 03:55:17 PM
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: April 28, 2016, 04:04:08 PM
Weide has several analogue and LED combined models

http://www.weidewatch.com/

Must...... resist..... more...... watch..... links.....

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #51 on: April 28, 2016, 04:07:49 PM
If you can afford a 3 prong case opener then you can afford a Weide

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: April 28, 2016, 07:52:15 PM
My experience in life is that if you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it.  They don't have prices listed on their site, so my guess is that it's a bit more than a case wrench!

Def

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #53 on: April 28, 2016, 08:03:40 PM
I liked digital watches during my teens, mechanical analog during my early adulthood, complex analogs during my 30s, combined analog/digital during my early 40s and my Suunto Core All Black now. Although I only wear my Suunto, I can't resist staring at Mondaine watches. I would like one on my wall.

Στάλθηκε από το LG-V500 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #54 on: April 28, 2016, 08:57:44 PM
My experience in life is that if you have to ask the price, you probably can't afford it.  They don't have prices listed on their site, so my guess is that it's a bit more than a case wrench!

Def

they are $15 to $30

check the Chinese sites (the banned ones)

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 01:32:17 PM
Analogue. Classic.

Digital looks cheap.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:02:51 PM by shamus »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00