Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

& Small knives.....

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
& Small knives.....
on: April 16, 2016, 01:14:47 AM
I've had these two ball bearings since childhood, one is now on it's way to be a knife

Mighty 1600W Carmen hairdryer driving my forge.......in purple  :woohoo:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: & Small knives.....
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 01:53:17 AM
:popcorn:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 02:30:19 AM
Sweet! :popcorn:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:33:31 AM

Love it   :tu:
And great looking set up!   :drool:
Everything’s adjustable

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 09:23:50 AM

us Offline Joe58

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 01:33:18 PM
Nice....I always enjoy the creation involved in creating a knife. That's why I'm always appreciative of the maker sending me in progress pics if I've a custom on order.

Kind of like the shows on now showing knife and firearms makers. Interesting.
🇨🇭

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 08:07:44 PM
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 10:10:17 PM
Gerhard I really like reading your threads.I've always been envious of those who can create knives.I'm just a buyer and collector.I can't wait to see the culmination of your efforts to create a knife from this ball bearing.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

Offline paulie.4x

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2016, 05:35:52 AM
Say Heah Guys and Gals, I bought two sort of similar small knives on e-bay years ago, although they look like they belong as a set, But I bought them seperate from the same seller. They both were made by Weilmannsheil,  The first one is a slender clip point that is integral where the bolster and pommel are one piece and it's stainless with just stag slabs pinned on but very nicely. There is even a part of the blade (spine) ground off to place your thumb on when using it to cut upwards, nicely done though. It sort of reminds me of a Bird and Trout knife in a nice leather sheath. The second one same make by  Weilmannsheil but in carbon, it's a slender boat knife with a beautiful elliptical slender blade, a different leather color sheath but very similar in design, I use it as a carver/neck knife and I wish I could get another one just like it. It has a convex from the spine down to the edge, but it's also a high scandi grind,  I worry about loosing it and it could carve very tight curves and a excellent carver/neck knife. But just the other day I got a very pleasant surprise when I recieved my new Mora Forest Exclusive # 277,  it too is a very slender blade that's laminated, It's also handmade, the handle is hardwood and the hardware is brass, the tang goes all the way through to the brass pommel and the bolster is nicely crafted out of brass too, the sheath is a very nice traditional leather and I know it's going to be a great carver, It's a little more slender than a Classic #1,  But it feels like a excellent made knife in your hand. The quality is exceptional. I wanted to get the larger version the Forest Exclusive # 311,  but some sites say no longer made and some say out of stock ? I wish I could still get one because of how good my #277 is. I have some nice neck knives and my Fav's is probably my Skookum Bush Tool,  But my slender knives are good in hand and could carve a netting needle without a problem. I know the Weilmannsheil are no longer made because I can't find anymore info on them. But if you can still get a Mora Forest Exclusive # 277,  I would recommend you get one, it's that good of a knife. Mora also has a Full Tang Garber that's the real deal, and one to look at. Well Ladies and Gents, That's my $00.02 worth on my small knives.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 18, 2016, 10:36:45 AM
Gerhard I really like reading your threads.I've always been envious of those who can create knives.I'm just a buyer and collector.I can't wait to see the culmination of your efforts to create a knife from this ball bearing.

I was stunned when I realised it's been 18 months since I did a mod on a CS GI Tanto, and now I'm making knives from scratch.....
I'm truly thankful that I have a living arrangement at the moment that allows me to do it.
I'm even more grateful to the people who write and make videos, take photos and share - they are my inspiration and my teachers.  :salute:

This story has a slightly sad ending, but it is also a beginning.
Friday was forging night, Saturday was heat treat night.
I'll update the thread during the week, but the 3 big 5160 blades had their date with destiny....
I did some reading on 52100 heat treat since I'd finished grinding the ball bearing blade on Saturday - and she was a beauty.  My conclusion was I needed to leave it in a bit longer.

To explain my setup, for heat treat I use a length 150mm diameter steel pipe (1mm wall thickness) with the back end welded shut, that lays horizontally in the forge by necessity. The idea with the blade not being directly in the fire is to prevent carbon being burned out.....

When the pipe was up to heat I wanted to take out the little blade to check, and I couldn't find it.....I was dumbfounded, but finally made out the shape welded onto the wall of the pipe.  :cry:

The heat treat of the 3 big blades went fine, and I was actually able to get the little blade out of the pipe because a hole had burned through the pipe right below it.
The blade looks salvageable, but I suspect it had all the carbon burned out of it....looks funky but suspect it's useless...

Physically I feel broken, Saturday morning I tried to harvest a stump to mount my anvil on, that turned out to be an unsuccessful bit of cardio on top of the previous night's inexperienced forging.......my excuse why you'll have to wait for some pics.

:salute: 

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 18, 2016, 02:12:06 PM
 :cry: Too bad. I don't believe in “Nothing worthwhile is easy,” but quite a few worthwhile things are smurfing difficult.  :salute:

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 02:13:27 PM

I've had these two ball bearings since childhood...

Me too.  :whistle:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD