Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Saddleback Leather Products picture thread

N_N_R · 125 · 11105

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
on: April 16, 2016, 06:19:23 PM
Okay, so as we're at least two SBL addicts around, I invite you guys to post in this new Saddleback Leather thread  :tu:

mrynnr and I seem to love our SBL wallets, so maybe she and I will have to post here immediately  ;) :pok: :pok:

Here are my two SBL wallets. The oldest one is the ID wallet in chestnut and the CC one in tobacco - over 2 years old. The CC in dark coffee brown will be 2 years old in September.

You can see the yellowish tint of the tobacco and the reddish tint of chestnut.

I was lucky enough to get them while the prices of the wallet and shipping were still cheaper and the dollar wasn't that expensive yet.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 08:12:11 PM by N_N_R »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Saddleback Leather Products picture thread
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 07:34:40 PM
I'n my recent venture into Saddleback products it did not go to smooth, but I have found what works for me now and I am almost entirely happy. More on that another time. Here are a few pics of my current Saddleback wallets. The Credit Card wallet and a Small Bi-fold. Both in Tobacco.

I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 07:35:21 PM
Wait I thought I had pics of the small bi-fold already. Maybe I did not take any?  :think:
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 07:58:38 PM
Thanks for posting, captain :tu: I don't think you have other pictures either :D

I'm sure you'll love the wallets with time. I was sliiightly disappointed with my ID initially as when it arrived, it looked like a rectangular piece of plastic. But with time it did break in and become awesome.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 08:09:33 PM
I took some pics of the bi-fold. Give me one sec.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 08:16:33 PM

I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #6 on: April 16, 2016, 08:20:29 PM
Awesome! I was considering this bi-fold for a long time, but again, the shipping prices aaaaaaaand the wallet prices aaaaaaand the dollar rates  went up, so I didn't get it.

It seems to be rather small, now that I finally see a picture comparison with the CC one :drool:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2016, 08:31:56 PM
Yea its a good size. I guess its all relative to what you are accustom to though. I do not feel it in my pocket very much so I have no complaints about that.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 08:37:15 PM
Nice thread! :)

bg Offline N_N_R

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2016, 10:46:00 PM
Small bifold about a year ago, when it was about a year old:

Same wallet recently, just shy of 2 years.

Gadget sleeve (for iPad), beginning of 2015. Its about 2 years old now, and still in daily use:

Large bifold when it was new. Still new today, I'm trying to wear out the small one first...

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 10:56:41 PM

I was lucky enough to get them while the prices of the wallet and shipping were still cheaper and the dollar wasn't that expensive yet.

I agree completely. I had to reign in my USD purchases considerably in the last year. To make matters worse, our duties on the import of leather goods is 30%, on top of 14% VAT and shipping. :ahhh

I bought a passport sleeve and passport wallet a while ago, it will probably be my last Saddleback stuffs for a while.  :cry:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 10:57:47 PM by Brock O Lee »
Hans

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 12:06:31 AM
How are you liking the large bifold? Does that have the security flap?

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 04:07:32 AM

Wrap in chestnut

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 04:32:20 AM
Wow some very nice wallets here.

I am looking for something small I can carry three or four cards and some cash in.

Any suggestions?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 05:08:03 AM
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/card-sleeve-wallet
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/credit-business-card-wallet
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/front-pocket-id-wallet
http://www.saddlebackleather.com/small-bifold-wallet
Depending on your preference

Yeah I checked out the website and not sure if small bifold or the credit business card wallet is best.

I sometimes carry some cash and am not sure how well it would fit the CBC wallet.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 05:12:06 AM
Three or four cards with cash, will easily fit the CC wallet. How many bills are you thinking of putting in it?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #18 on: April 17, 2016, 05:44:28 AM
Three or four cards with cash, will easily fit the CC wallet. How many bills are you thinking of putting in it?

Pfft everyone knows Harley is a baller.

Say 20 hundo bills so I can tip the little people.

Or maybe just 5 to 10 bills.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 17, 2016, 06:14:38 AM
I'll take some of those hundo bills... I'm a little people...

Here's both wallets with four cards and 8 bills. Small bifold in tobacco. CC wallet it chestnut.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2016, 07:35:54 AM
@Brock,

What is the tobacco wallet/case in your last picture? The passport wallet?

And yeah, VAT sucks, I'd never heard of additional leather taxes, though :ahhh

@Harley,
The maximum I put in my CC wallets is 4-5 cards (2/3 on each side) + 5 bills on each side, so let's say 10 bills. I'm not sure how well more than that will fit in it.  But you can always go for the ID wallet :whistle:

@mrynnr,

More and more awesome pictures coming :drool:

I'm getting more and more into that little bi-fold :ahhh

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #21 on: April 17, 2016, 04:24:52 PM
Thanks MaryAnn and NNR but I am still undecided on which one. I need to get my wallet out and see how much I really want in it then decide. Will get both since that is the MTO way.

As for color holy smurf the lighter brown one in MaryAnn's pictures is beautiful. That is tabacco color correct?

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #22 on: April 17, 2016, 05:56:34 PM
Looool.

Yes, the lighter brown is tobacco and I do love it. However, with time it changes - look at my first picture - the one on the left. It gets darker and smoother with time. I've washed mine, though, and washing with just a toothbrush and lukewarm water and some soap helps it resume its original colour after drying up. At least for the CC one.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: April 17, 2016, 06:01:52 PM
Thanks MaryAnn and NNR but I am still undecided on which one. I need to get my wallet out and see how much I really want in it then decide. Will get both since that is the MTO way.

As for color holy smurf the lighter brown one in MaryAnn's pictures is beautiful. That is tabacco color correct?

For the storage requirements you said you can get away with the Credit Card wallet easily. Its just a matter of if you want to carry your cash liek you will have to or if you want to carry your cash in a more traditional way.

I have both the CC and small bi-fold and switch between them. I like both and having the option to go very light/slim with the CC wallet is nice.

I'm kind of bummed both my wallets are in Tobacco yet are very dark. I love the very light leather and ordered the tobacco for that reason.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:03:18 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #24 on: April 17, 2016, 06:07:20 PM

For the storage requirements you said you can get away with the Credit Card wallet easily. Its just a matter of if you want to carry your cash liek you will have to or if you want to carry your cash in a more traditional way.

I have both the CC and small bi-fold and switch between them. I like both and having the option to go very light/slim with the CC wallet is nice.

I'm kind of bummed both my wallets are in Tobacco yet are very dark. I love the very light leather and ordered the tobacco for that reason.

I watched some reviews online that said that SBL later moved to a different type of leather and the original tobacco and the original .. black, I think, were changed to something else. They also said the leather had gotten thinner. I don't have experience with these new ones, though, I think all of mine are from the older generation, but still not the oldest one  :think:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: April 17, 2016, 06:45:40 PM

I watched some reviews online that said that SBL later moved to a different type of leather and the original tobacco and the original .. black, I think, were changed to something else. They also said the leather had gotten thinner. I don't have experience with these new ones, though, I think all of mine are from the older generation, but still not the oldest one  :think:

Yea I saw a video mentioning some changes. I also heard the used to do the pig skin lining in the cash section on both sides, but only do one side now. The reason they do pig skin lining is it is much smoother and lets bills slide in easier. Problem is on the new ones the lining is on the "back" of the pocket. With my wallet being very tight in the cash area this is a problem. I arrange my bills from highest to lowest in denomination from the "back" to the "front". Well when I buy something and put the cash back in its always in the "front" since its usually $1's or $5's I receive as change it goes in the "front" which is not pig skin lined making the lining useless for this purpose. That really bugs me. Its just like any company these days. You get cheaper leather, less leather, and less lining, for a increased price.  :facepalm:

I know I have said a lot of negative things about these in a lot of post. Its just my experience's with the wallets. I still love them both, but they are far from perfect and there are just some things that bug me.
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #26 on: April 17, 2016, 06:51:16 PM
Yeah, btw, I also wonder what's with their prices.

A few days ago we discussed that with @mrynnr and probably she was right with her points.  On SBL site now there are TWO ID wallets. The old one which I have is $39 (http://www.saddlebackleather.com/front-pocket-id-wallet) while there's a new one that's 43$ (http://www.saddlebackleather.com/front-pocket-id-wallet-usa) being sold at the same time. The only visible difference is that the new one / the more expensive one/ is made in the USA acc. to its print.

P.S.2. However, at the time I bought the ID wallet, on Amazon, it cost me $33. Now it costs 39. The shipping was $11, now it is $20. This is a total of $15 increase in price for the past 3 years. This is a LOT for me. The dollar exchange rate went up from about 1.45 BGN for 1 USD to 1.75 BGN for 1 USD, too. So the wallet is about 26 BGN more expensive now than it was before. There's NO WAY I'm paying this much money for a wallet ever. (for example, 20 BGN is half my weekly budget for groceries; 20lv is my internet bill for the month; or my phone bill for the month;)

P.S. I've heard that it's a normal practice that when the demand for your product gets too high, you increase the prices a bit. Then, the valuable and real fans stay despite the higher prices, while the people who don't love your company that much, don't buy your product anymore, but that's not a real loss of a business.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 07:01:03 PM by N_N_R »

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: April 17, 2016, 07:15:41 PM
I'm thinking the reason for their increased prices, are that they now have "free shipping" for people in the lower 48. I was watching some videos and people were complaining about their shipping rates. I even saw one where the guy said, increase the price a little and lower the shipping. Guess this is how they decided to handle those complaints haha

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 17, 2016, 07:18:25 PM
I understand increasing prices a bit, but what I do not like is increasing the price and decreasing the quality of the product.

Same thing Leatherman did.
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #29 on: April 17, 2016, 07:27:23 PM
Well. Maybe this is what's happening globally. I don't have anything else to compare to, but now that you put it this way, captain, it's exactly the same like what's been happening here with food, for example: the keep the same price, or increase it slightly, but they decrease the weight / grams of the product. Let's say a chocolate cost 1lv once and was 100gr. Now the same chocolate is 1.50 and weights 80-90gr. :think: :think: :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%