Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Let me see your homemade sheaths! 6986

Jr. Member Posts: 50 Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Re: Let me see your homemade sheaths!
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2019, 02:28:20 PM »

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,213 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #181 on: July 19, 2019, 05:19:53 PM »
Nice job :tu:
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR

Hero Member Posts: 519
« Reply #182 on: Today at 01:24:39 AM »
Read through this thread last night.  Some really good work here!    :salute:

I've been looking at leather pocket slips online for the last few months.  Lots of companies on Instagram and Etsy making some nice items.  Most of them are US or Europe based and with exchange and shipping would cost more than I'm willing to pay, so I purchased a leather stitching kit (for half the cost of a slip) and thought I'd have a go at making some myself.

Here's the result:

I'm pleased.  The knife and light fit really well, and I had fun making them.  I do have some questions if anyone wants to answer them...

I didn't glue the edges together.  Do you guys glue before you stitch?  If so what glue do you like to use?
I burnished the edges where the stitching is with water and saddle soap, then rubbed on some beeswax based leather care product (I use it on my work boots usually).  I'm assuming having glued edges makes the finished burnished edge look way better.   Would it work better to burnish the edges first then glue and stitch?, as now that it is stitched I can't burnish the top edges.   Any tips on burnishing?
Jr. Member Posts: 50 Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
« Reply #183 on: Today at 04:53:33 AM »
I glue the edges with rubber cement to seal it a little bit. I started doing that worried that moisture would reside in the seam and perhaps rot over time. It also hold it in place while I stitch everything together.
No Life Club Posts: 1,861
« Reply #184 on: Today at 12:21:34 PM »
Read through this thread last night.  Some really good work here!    :salute:

I've been looking at leather pocket slips online for the last few months.  Lots of companies on Instagram and Etsy making some nice items.  Most of them are US or Europe based and with exchange and shipping would cost more than I'm willing to pay, so I purchased a leather stitching kit (for half the cost of a slip) and thought I'd have a go at making some myself.

Here's the result:

I'm pleased.  The knife and light fit really well, and I had fun making them.  I do have some questions if anyone wants to answer them...

I didn't glue the edges together.  Do you guys glue before you stitch?  If so what glue do you like to use?
I burnished the edges where the stitching is with water and saddle soap, then rubbed on some beeswax based leather care product (I use it on my work boots usually).  I'm assuming having glued edges makes the finished burnished edge look way better.   Would it work better to burnish the edges first then glue and stitch?, as now that it is stitched I can't burnish the top edges.   Any tips on burnishing?

That's an incredible job for a first time.

"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,213 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #185 on: Today at 06:26:33 PM »
Very nice job BCNZ!
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $391.00