Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who carries a backpack everyday?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Who carries a backpack everyday?
Reply #90 on: February 26, 2018, 12:20:16 AM
Yeah buying mine was just a way to delay buying the Veto Pack anyway which I have a feeling is not too far off?

And Plumber its good to see you again,wondered where you wandered to?

Ed

That Klein bags nice, I almost bought something similar but I think it was Kobalt.
JR
:think: idk, you mean on this subject?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #91 on: February 26, 2018, 12:33:36 AM
I mean I wondered where you wandered from the other Forum? :pok:

Yeah buying mine was just a way to delay buying the Veto Pack anyway which I have a feeling is not too far off?

Ed

That Klein bags nice, I almost bought something similar but I think it was Kobalt.
JR
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #92 on: February 26, 2018, 01:17:09 AM

Ed

JR
JR
Which one, I only belong to about 20?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: February 26, 2018, 01:53:52 AM
Sorry,EDC,were you not over there?

Ed

JR
JR
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: February 26, 2018, 02:11:09 AM
Sorry,EDC,were you not over there?

Ed

JR
JR
JR
Oh ok, I’m on every once and a while, but I love it on here.
JR

Offline 386greene

Reply #95 on: March 03, 2018, 01:57:14 AM
I carry my Direct Action Dragon Egg every day

Love the thing, my wife is happy I finally found one to stick with too

Are you LEO?

The tactical look of all the backpack everybody comment (Maxpedition type) is not very discreet...  :pok: :whistle:

Not a LEO, just like the amount of options I have with a military style pack. And they're usually made to last

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #97 on: June 03, 2018, 04:07:23 PM
I carry a Swiss Gear pack that has room for my laptop. And I carry minimal gear with me. I don't carry it everywhere. I'm retired so it's in my car when I'm out and by my chair at home. I have a car bag that stays in the car 24/7 that is basically "get home" stuff that can be added to my backpack if needed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #98 on: June 03, 2018, 06:07:23 PM
Unfortunately we don’t drive, when I did I had one of those huge black/yellow totes filled with half all tools/stuff needed for the vehicle, the other half everything needed for safety and stuff needed for the driver. But since that’s out of question it’s kinda down to a backpack, at least the only fluid is water rather then steering fluid, oil, and radiator fluid..
   Anyway I said a while back that I was working on another, I showed a pic of it when I first got it and it was huge! So I kinda did a few things and here’s what I came up with,
   It’s not a bad size and as you can see, if while out and we pick up anything I don’t feel like carrying and it doesn’t fit in the bag, the bag expands and doubles the room in it to allow for larger items. Of course since I came up with this I have yet to need it, so I’ve still looked into something smaller, kinda like one of those hydration packs, something with the Molle strips so I can add items to the outside, but as you can see I still need Velcro on the face of it so I can have my patches..
JR

us Offline Pacu

Reply #99 on: June 03, 2018, 08:24:28 PM
I'm thinking of switching back over to  backpack. I have a 5.11 Rush 72 i used to carry but it is a bit too big. Thinking about a Maxped Falcon 2 or 3.
:like:    :MTO:

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #100 on: June 03, 2018, 08:46:36 PM
I swap bags like I swap knives, depending on mood and purpose. My favorite city slicking backpack these days is a blue calfs skin Piquadro.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:24:00 PM by microbe »
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #101 on: June 03, 2018, 10:13:32 PM
I'm thinking of switching back over to  backpack. I have a 5.11 Rush 72 i used to carry but it is a bit too big. Thinking about a Maxped Falcon 2 or 3.
I have an imitation falcon2, nice pack good for a overnight or b.o.b, still a little big for what I want as a edc..
JR

us Offline Pacu

Reply #102 on: June 03, 2018, 10:16:52 PM
I have an imitation falcon2, nice pack good for a overnight or b.o.b, still a little big for what I want as a edc..
JR

I'm just wondering if it will be small on me. I'm about 6'5 280lbs.  My Sitka kits well as a sling. Sometimes I pack it just a little too heavy and the sling needs to be a backpack.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #103 on: June 03, 2018, 10:52:05 PM
JR

I'm just wondering if it will be small on me. I'm about 6'5 280lbs.  My Sitka kits well as a sling. Sometimes I pack it just a little too heavy and the sling needs to be a backpack.
Well for someone that tall I’d say it would be a good size backpack, I was kinda happy with my sling but it was a tad bit small, that and taking it off in order to get in a car I had to take the hat off, stretch it over the head, put the hat back on, then throw the bag, rather then just slip the shoulder straps off. The other thing was the face of the sling didn’t have enough room to put all the patches I wanted..
JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #104 on: June 03, 2018, 11:11:01 PM
I could go with something like these just something simple and square, only downer for those two are the shoulder straps, absolutely no padding, that other one is like perfect but I’m not paying like $300 for a simple backpack! What’s so special idk, it’s a medical bag and you would think for that price you’d get all the first aid stuff..
  My only dislike besides the shoulder straps on those other two which you can replace with something with padding is they don’t expand or have any other pockets, yet there covered in Molle, so attaching other pouches would kinda compensate, yet the main compartment isn’t to big, kinda like mine but doesn’t expand..
JR

gb Offline angus macguyver

Reply #105 on: October 07, 2018, 04:36:47 PM
I catch the bus to work and home again every day so all my junk I need for the daily grind is in one of these cheap military style packs.

. "A paperclip can be a wonderous thing. More times than I can remember, one of these has gotten me out of a tight spot."

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #106 on: October 07, 2018, 07:13:47 PM
I catch the bus to work and home again every day so all my junk I need for the daily grind is in one of these cheap military style packs.

Cheap but they work!
JR

gb Offline angus macguyver

Reply #107 on: October 08, 2018, 06:23:01 AM
 :iagree:
. "A paperclip can be a wonderous thing. More times than I can remember, one of these has gotten me out of a tight spot."

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #108 on: October 08, 2018, 10:32:57 AM
Still the same
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #109 on: November 02, 2018, 10:36:25 AM
Maybe my thinking is simple minded, but the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle has always worked for me. You mention getting in and out of the car and knocking your hat off. Obviously you are not in the 'take everything with me now' backpack until the end of the day mode. So my question is this..."What do you need to take with you from the car, how far from the car and for how long?". In a pair of cargo shorts, t-shirt and water shoes I can still take: leatherman, measuring tape, 10x lens cleaners, safety pins, extendable magnet (I'm to lazy to bend over to pick something up), eye glass repair kit, duct tape, twenty feet of paracord, 2x 3"x5" notebooks, 2x mechanical pencils, a Kobalt screwdriver set with 4' extension and 2x 12 ea set of bits, flashlight (keyring style 1x AAA), fingernail clippers, strike stick and a pen. All of which fits into my EDC pouch on my left hip. I really do not have a screaming MUST HAVE for these items. They are my 'I feel better having them' items that come in handy and then someone will say something like "That's pretty neat that you have that with you.".  The pouch has MOLLE webbing so it can be attached to a larger bag if need for other occasions. Then there is the other leatherman on my belt, the Sig Sauer P238 micro in my pocket, wallet, keys with three different OPMT's (One Piece Multi Tool) (attached to belt), handkerchief, utility blade (normal) and utility blade (serrated) (Home Depot) that are clipped into my cargo shorts pockets. For me this is my 'bare naked setup'. If I am carrying my Springfield XD sub-combact or my Springfield Loaded Light Weight Operator and want to go concealed then I switch to my knockoff (UTG brand) Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. Then the clouds go away, the seas part and I am lead to the 'holy land' of holy crap I can carry all kinds of stuff now. Then the Sling Bag / Messenger Bag can stay in the car and I can take just the pouch with me. So again, I have to ask "What do you need to take with you from the car, how far from the car and for how long?".
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #110 on: November 02, 2018, 04:12:56 PM
Maybe my thinking is simple minded, but the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle has always worked for me. You mention getting in and out of the car and knocking your hat off. Obviously you are not in the 'take everything with me now' backpack until the end of the day mode. So my question is this...

hey GrandpaPatch, it's nice to see you're exploring all the subforums and getting used to the forum, :salute:
just a friendly reminder:

if you are talking to someone or replying to them (" You mention getting in and out of the car and knocking your hat off. Obviously you are not in the 'take everything with me now' backpack until the end of the day mode. So my question is this..."What do you need to take with you from the car, how far from the car and for how long?") the normal thing is to quote them or copy their post, so as to know what are you replying to or who are you making reference to   :tu:

especially if you are necro'ing (bringing back from the dead) an old thread! :D
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #111 on: November 02, 2018, 04:43:52 PM
I tried to carry a backpack just to try.  I packed with a few useful items which I'd never take on a day out but none the less useful.  The pack was in no way filled but had items that could be utilized. 

No Way.  I am not a backpack person.  WOW what a pain.  I then tired my Haversack by Duluth, this time with items that I carry in my pockets plus a few extras.   It was not "packed" nor did it have any "survival" things.  NOPE. 

I am not a pack carrying guy.  While I really like the idea of a few "extra" useful items, I just cannot for now carry a bag of any type. 

Fanny/Bum bag  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: November 02, 2018, 04:54:50 PM
Maybe my thinking is simple minded, but the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle has always worked for me. You mention getting in and out of the car and knocking your hat off. Obviously you are not in the 'take everything with me now' backpack until the end of the day mode. So my question is this..."What do you need to take with you from the car, how far from the car and for how long?". In a pair of cargo shorts, t-shirt and water shoes I can still take: leatherman, measuring tape, 10x lens cleaners, safety pins, extendable magnet (I'm to lazy to bend over to pick something up), eye glass repair kit, duct tape, twenty feet of paracord, 2x 3"x5" notebooks, 2x mechanical pencils, a Kobalt screwdriver set with 4' extension and 2x 12 ea set of bits, flashlight (keyring style 1x AAA), fingernail clippers, strike stick and a pen. All of which fits into my EDC pouch on my left hip. I really do not have a screaming MUST HAVE for these items. They are my 'I feel better having them' items that come in handy and then someone will say something like "That's pretty neat that you have that with you.".  The pouch has MOLLE webbing so it can be attached to a larger bag if need for other occasions. Then there is the other leatherman on my belt, the Sig Sauer P238 micro in my pocket, wallet, keys with three different OPMT's (One Piece Multi Tool) (attached to belt), handkerchief, utility blade (normal) and utility blade (serrated) (Home Depot) that are clipped into my cargo shorts pockets. For me this is my 'bare naked setup'. If I am carrying my Springfield XD sub-combact or my Springfield Loaded Light Weight Operator and want to go concealed then I switch to my knockoff (UTG brand) Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. Then the clouds go away, the seas part and I am lead to the 'holy land' of holy crap I can carry all kinds of stuff now. Then the Sling Bag / Messenger Bag can stay in the car and I can take just the pouch with me. So again, I have to ask "What do you need to take with you from the car, how far from the car and for how long?".

Expect a pm, we have to run out for a few min..
JR

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: November 02, 2018, 09:09:17 PM
About 6 weeks ago I returned from a work trip and noticed a foreign "Smell" coming from the basement of my house. ???

I thought it was the smell of wet down there and the area is having some pretty major construction going on involving Dynamite and pounding for years now and I thought maybe they finally broke my foundation but it was not to be.

A Black Iron pipe from the Kitchen drain broke and festered down there and essentially rendered the house uninhabitable and I have been in and out of Hotels since then and now I consider myself a BackPack carrying guy too!

My entire life day to day is in that thing and it is a whole different perspective on this using it when I have to vs. as I thought I should!

I have ended up using the First Tactical 1 day Tactix every day since then and am pretty much in love with this bag!

I also was already carrying the Messenger from them and together they are amazing for my uses although my back likely would not agree with this.

So now I wonder if I will survive once I no longer need to carry the pack and whether I will just continue to do so as it has been so truly handy so far?

It is amazing how much our perspective about things like this can evolve.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #114 on: July 07, 2019, 11:28:43 PM
I got myself a new backpack
1-new-backpack.jpg
* 1-new-backpack.jpg (Filesize: 345.79 KB)

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #115 on: July 09, 2019, 07:24:27 PM
Nice!
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #116 on: July 11, 2019, 08:31:39 PM

...I also was already carrying the Messenger from them and together they are amazing for my uses although my back likely would not agree with this.

So now I wonder if I will survive once I no longer need to carry the pack and whether I will just continue to do so as it has been so truly handy so far?

It is amazing how much our perspective about things like this can evolve.
Yes, it's amazing how quickly you can get used to having everything you might need in a day available at your fingertips.  My guess is that you will continue to carry an EDC bag of some sort even when you're back in your home.

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #117 on: July 18, 2019, 05:13:03 PM
My set up, carry it everyday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline Pacu

Reply #118 on: July 21, 2019, 01:35:22 AM
I just switched over to a 5.11 Rush 24 in OD green. Was using a Maxped Sitka which still sees lots of use. I just needed space for those summer extras like Gatorade, boonie hat, gloves, my topo maps, and some work related agriculture paperwork.
It's a really well built pack . I bought it at an actual 5.11 store in Austin , Texas. I was really impressed with the staff in there. Not pushy, very informative about all the aspects of all their bags.  :like:

20190720_181649

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #119 on: July 21, 2019, 02:20:45 AM
I just switched over to a 5.11 Rush 24 in OD green. Was using a Maxped Sitka which still sees lots of use. I just needed space for those summer extras like Gatorade, boonie hat, gloves, my topo maps, and some work related agriculture paperwork.
It's a really well built pack . I bought it at an actual 5.11 store in Austin , Texas. I was really impressed with the staff in there. Not pushy, very informative about all the aspects of all their bags.  :like:

20190720_181649
Nice !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66