Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EGO tools, SAK "lookalikes"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
EGO tools, SAK "lookalikes"
on: April 23, 2016, 08:11:18 PM
Just wondering, anyone tried one of these?

I found one today in my collection, I remember buying it after seeing WeAllJuggleKnives' review on Youtube on one of these.
Having used it quite a bit, I think it is a real bargain and certainly close in F&F and quality to the Wengers and Vics I have.

It's just too big to EDC, but I like it a lot and there are much smaller models, just like normal SAKs.
So, anyone here has one of them? Thanks!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline NetsNJ

Re: EGO tools, SAK "lookalikes"
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 03:49:47 AM
I've had my eye out for one of these, but they appear to be unavailable in the States.  I only see them on Russian sites, and there is just no way I am giving my credit card information to a site I have to put through google translate.

How do you find it?  They look cool and I like the mix of Wenger and Victorinox features. 

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 05:21:02 AM
That thing casts its own shadow!   :D
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 08:07:58 AM

Like what I am seeing. I should look for one on ebay. Wouldn't mind trying it if the price is right.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 08:25:01 AM
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Dem

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 08:45:35 AM
I picked up one from aliexpress a year or two ago. It's certainly a world better than those knockoff swisschamps but it's a good ways off from a Wenger/Vic.

Offhand:

The magnifying glass is just a cheap plastic lens, so it's very much useless, though that tool does work as a small flathead so long as the lens holding part doesn't get in the way. It has wenger-style backsprings for the pliers and scissors (which I personally don't like, but to each their own) but the pliers don't have the extra notch to open wider and the scissors while better than the ubiquitous ones you see on chinese ripoffs still aren't much good. The awl was very over-polished. The small blade is kind of thin.

But that's all I can think of to complain about. The can-opener is actually really good, the large blade is good, and the inline Phillips is by far one of the best to come out of a tool from China (but it comes to too much of a point, like on Swiza/SOG stuff.) The chisel on the back was surprisingly not overpolished at all, which is strange since, as I mentioned the awl was.

The file seemed like it might be a bit over-fine but I didn't give it enough use to see if it holds up or not.

Unlike a knockoff swisschamp I'd actually consider it a capable pocket knife, but I bought it more as a curiosity than anything.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 08:34:36 PM
I picked up one from aliexpress a year or two ago. It's certainly a world better than those knockoff swisschamps but it's a good ways off from a Wenger/Vic.

Offhand:

The magnifying glass is just a cheap plastic lens, so it's very much useless, though that tool does work as a small flathead so long as the lens holding part doesn't get in the way. It has wenger-style backsprings for the pliers and scissors (which I personally don't like, but to each their own) but the pliers don't have the extra notch to open wider and the scissors while better than the ubiquitous ones you see on chinese ripoffs still aren't much good. The awl was very over-polished. The small blade is kind of thin.

But that's all I can think of to complain about. The can-opener is actually really good, the large blade is good, and the inline Phillips is by far one of the best to come out of a tool from China (but it comes to too much of a point, like on Swiza/SOG stuff.) The chisel on the back was surprisingly not overpolished at all, which is strange since, as I mentioned the awl was.

The file seemed like it might be a bit over-fine but I didn't give it enough use to see if it holds up or not.

Unlike a knockoff swisschamp I'd actually consider it a capable pocket knife, but I bought it more as a curiosity than anything.

Agreed. I couldn't have said it better, and I found more or less the same good and bad things. It is way above other knockoffs, but never as nice as Wenger/Vics from my collection.

And, Corwyn, I was bitten by the Spyderhawk...twice the same day.

Just useful, inexpensive multitools...
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%