Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who has a case wrench?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Who has a case wrench?
on: April 26, 2016, 10:47:47 PM
I keep thinking of getting a case wrench although I'm not really sure I need one.  Yes I have several watches that require a case wrench to open, but then I have to go to a shop and buy a battery anyway, so why not just let them do the work too?  It's usually included in the cost of the battery anyway...

That having been said, the tool that once ran around $300 can now be bought for less than $10, so for that kind of money I wonder why the heck not?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline Ricardomfs

Re: Who has a case wrench?
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 12:26:40 AM
I keep thinking of getting a case wrench although I'm not really sure I need one.  Yes I have several watches that require a case wrench to open, but then I have to go to a shop and buy a battery anyway, so why not just let them do the work too?  It's usually included in the cost of the battery anyway...

(Image removed from quote.)

That having been said, the tool that once ran around $300 can now be bought for less than $10, so for that kind of money I wonder why the heck not?

Def

I have two types of this case openers, but after i get my leatherman wave, one night i needed one, and didnt have it, and i notice that the pliers head, are amazing for this purpose, been using it over the case openers since then! of course putting some tape in the edges!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 01:24:05 AM
I saw a guy once use a Charge to swap wheels on his grinder the same way.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:27:07 AM
I have two of those square shaped fixed tip type, since every watch I encountered use the same square tip I see no reason to get the big one.

Used to use plier tips, but they slip easily. Like you said the tool now cost less than $10, worth it to prevent scratched case backs.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 04:40:00 AM
I keep thinking of getting a case wrench although I'm not really sure I need one

When has that ever stopped anyone in this forum?  :D

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 10:47:37 AM
I like to change batteries myself. unless you have high end watches, jewelers/watchmakers tend to work not as cautious as you´d like. I tape off my casebacks or at least work carefully and when I scratch a watch it´s my fault and I did not have to pay someone else to scratch my watch.

If I had an expensive watch, I´d pay a nexpensive watchmaker, but teh usual battery guy in teh wall will not get his hands on my watch except for a WR test.

For me, teh caseback opener often works best if you lay it on teh floor, place teh watch correctly and then turn teh watch while pressing it on the opener. This way I´m less likely to slip because of cam out.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:05:44 PM
I keep thinking of getting a case wrench although I'm not really sure I need one

Good point!

I like to change batteries myself. unless you have high end watches, jewelers/watchmakers tend to work not as cautious as you´d like. I tape off my casebacks or at least work carefully and when I scratch a watch it´s my fault and I did not have to pay someone else to scratch my watch.

If I had an expensive watch, I´d pay a nexpensive watchmaker, but teh usual battery guy in teh wall will not get his hands on my watch except for a WR test.

For me, teh caseback opener often works best if you lay it on teh floor, place teh watch correctly and then turn teh watch while pressing it on the opener. This way I´m less likely to slip because of cam out.

Years ago in my youth, I was that guy in the mall and I never scratched a watch.  I worked for The Hudson Bay Company, which is a higher end department store, and I believe the oldest corporation in the world.  I used to have people from other watch shops bring me watches that they couldn't open, usually snap backs.  I would pop them open using the small blade on my Victorinox Camper.  :-)

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 02:40:28 PM

Good point!

Years ago in my youth, I was that guy in the mall and I never scratched a watch.  I worked for The Hudson Bay Company, which is a higher end department store, and I believe the oldest corporation in the world.  I used to have people from other watch shops bring me watches that they couldn't open, usually snap backs.  I would pop them open using the small blade on my Victorinox Camper.  :-)

Def

Naw, you guys on the American continent are so cute...  :D
Time - Sweden: The Oldest Corporation In the World

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 02:49:22 PM
New world.....    :D

I have one with 2 pins - the price was a couple of dollars - not worth thinking about not getting one... eBay

It works fine.  I can get the battery way cheaper than from a watchmaker or watch shop. The first battery you change, you have recouped your investment.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 02:59:24 PM

Good point!

Def

Naw, you guys on the American continent are so cute...  :D
Time - Sweden: The Oldest Corporation In the World

Ok, you have us beat there.  The Bay (as it is most commonly known) started in only 1670.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson's_Bay_Company

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 03:00:36 PM
And apparently we aren't even playing in the same ballpark as Japan....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 06:47:04 PM
And apparently we aren't even playing in the same ballpark as Japan....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_companies

Def

Nope, Stora Kopparberg is only special due to having the oldest known issued share. Written on sheepskin and issued in 1288.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 08:57:15 PM
I did not want to say ALL guys working at those watch repair stations do bad work, but I have seen enough who are. They hand you back a scratched watch without even blinking. Oh, and while at it: Not all higher priced watchmakers are good. Don´t get me started...

Back to topic: Get one. And maybe a watch opening ball, too. Try that first and use it to close the watches.

us Offline sixracer

Reply #13 on: April 28, 2016, 05:31:46 AM
I have the $10 Chinese case back tool. It is certainly a piece of junk but will get the job done for an occasional battery change. I used to let dead battery watches sit for months. With the tool you can order the battery and swap it easily. The issue I have is the interchangeable pins either fall out of are so tight I need a pliers to swap them in or out.

--
Sent from mobile, please excuse typos

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: April 28, 2016, 07:06:45 AM
 :pok:  There you are. I was right in thinking that it was very cheap.

This is the same model as the one I have , $0.84. 
It is not sexy but it works. If you will be opening 100 watches a day, you may go for something better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watch-back-Case-Opener-Spanner-Wrench-Watchsmith-Repair-Repairing-Remover-Tools-/361508825134?var=&hash=item542b9ae82e:m:mxWnD9o-SbrGHamooTMsTxA

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 03:43:37 PM
I think if I get one it will be one like in my original post rather than a two prong one.  The OP one is the kind I used to work with and I liked it a lot.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 03:47:20 PM
I wish I could afford the 3 prong one..... 

One day... one day....

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 04:02:22 PM
The one I posted was $5.

If it takes you that long to save up the $4 difference then maybe you should hold off on buying watches!

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 04:06:28 PM
The 2 prong one was under $1 and the Gemius Army Watch under 1$ (best value watch ever)

I have not ordered a new watch in hours...

$5... maybe if I save all my money for a year.....

au Offline Gadget

• Aussie in Norway
Reply #19 on: May 01, 2016, 09:12:03 AM
Hi,

I'm an instrument tech. I repair some watches or just change batteries for friend's and family. I have the case back tool posted by Grant and another quite robust two point version (that what I use most of the time).

Remember these rules:

Make sure the O ring groove is clean.

Put a very small amount of silicone grease on case back O rings.

The O ring seals the watch, not the metal/metal contact so don't over tighten it, tighten it just so it will not come open by it's self.

And that's all I've got to say about that ;)

cheers, John

Offline jrp316

Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 04:47:22 AM
I second the use of a caseback ball. I use a homemade one which consists of a racquetball which I wrap with a single wind of duct tape, sticky side out. If you've got strong hands, they work really well; I have yet to run across a screwback case that I can't open with it. You won't scratch the caseback with it either.

Before I discovered that method, I used a three prong like what you depicted, but I used it a bit differently. I would put the wrench down into the carpet, put the watch on the prongs, press down and turn the case (as opposed to the wrench) by hand. I never had one slip using that method.

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 04:50:21 PM
I just bought two from harbor freight tools

Sent from my outdated communication device using an obsolete application

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #22 on: July 23, 2016, 01:14:41 AM
I've got one of the cheap ones and it works fairly well, provided you palm the wrench body instead of trying to turn it by the handle like a normal wrench. Worth the money.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2016, 06:00:57 AM
I got one of that Chinese 3-prong case opener. Open most of the watches at home. Surprisingly, the local battery guy has a more primitive opener than mine. There was one time I could not open the case back on my Invicta with my tool, needless to say neither the battery guy. I brought the watch home, gave it another shot with the opener and a screw driver, and voila, got it open. Bottom line, this thing is very helpful to have.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 09, 2016, 03:20:27 AM
I used to work on my own watches a lot and a friend of mine who was a great watchmaker(sadly he retired 2 years ago)got me these two items about 30 years ago. The Jaxa case wrench has 4 sets of tips to do just about any watch made including the Rolex-type serrated backs. He also got me a Bulova case holder that has rubber jaws to hold the cases firmly without scratching and has a myriad of adjustments. The only case type that I can't replace(removal is easy)are the ones that require a great deal of pressure to re-install such as most Breitlings(I have two).Another friend of mine had one of those and was going to sell it to me when he went out of business but the price was a bit much for me then(about $300).It's like a miniature arbor press with many adapters.Another tool I use a lot on manual wind watches is a small pin vise that grips the crown making winding very easy and with less chance of overwinding it.
BulovaCaseHolder200.jpg
* BulovaCaseHolder200.jpg (Filesize: 62.61 KB)
JaxaCaseWrench 001.jpg
* JaxaCaseWrench 001.jpg (Filesize: 67.69 KB)
JaxaCaseWrench 002.jpg
* JaxaCaseWrench 002.jpg (Filesize: 51.5 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: August 09, 2016, 12:35:12 PM
I broke down last night and ordered a cheap watch vise and wrench.  For less than  $20 for both I figured I might as well.

Def

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #26 on: August 09, 2016, 03:48:53 PM
I don't think you will be disappointed.  I have the same wrench you originally posted and it works when care is taken.  It's certainly better than a punch and a hammer :D

The tolerances aren't great and the pins tend to "wander" a bit but it is still very handy.  I've taken off some backs that were very tight.

John.

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 09, 2016, 07:15:50 PM
I broke down last night and ordered a cheap watch vise and wrench.  For less than  $20 for both I figured I might as well.

Def
You can't go wrong for that price Grant. If I recall correctly the vise and wrench I bought 30 -odd years ago was about $60.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 09, 2016, 08:47:32 PM
Yeah, I have some slight concerns about quality for sure, but in the end I didn't really have that many watches that I would need to work on.  I don't open automatics, I only have two digital watches but they have screw on case backs, and one of my quartz watches with a battery is largely nonfunctional and probably needs a new movement, so really it all boils down to needing to change a battery in one watch only.

Def

us Offline cali-SAK-attack

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 09:19:00 AM
I think it will work for ya.....got mine last year on Da Bay for $4 and change shipped to my door. :tu:
Thang works GREAT IMPO.  :like:
Used it yesterday matter of fact to change a battery for my son's Citizen. :D :2tu:
DSCN7763.JPG
* DSCN7763.JPG (Filesize: 193.45 KB)
***CLICK on my pics to see actual sized photo :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%