Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tell me about this charmer.

nz Offline moonweasel

Tell me about this charmer.
on: April 08, 2016, 11:49:14 AM
I picked this watch makers knife last week on a whim. And has just arrived at my parents place across the ditch. It has elinox on the blade and possibly victorinox as well.
The are a couple of blemishes, but has a nice iridescent finish.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Tell me about this charmer.
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 02:14:09 PM
Was it already over here?

us Offline jalind

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 03:20:47 PM
I picked this watch makers knife last week on a whim. And has just arrived at my parents place across the ditch. It has elinox on the blade and possibly victorinox as well.
The are a couple of blemishes, but has a nice iridescent finish.
(Image removed from quote.)

Obviously it's what watchmakers call a "case knife" for opening snap-on or snap-down watch backs. These have two blades in one layer: main knife blade (same as found on nearly all SAKs) and a smaller and stubbier case opening blade. That blade is thick with a dull beveled edge. It's not made for cutting but for prying a watch back off. These were commonly used by watch brands as marketing handouts, undoubtedly to retail jewelers and watch dealers as the average consumer would have no use for one, nor would he know how to use it effectively. There is a bit of a learning curve in how to hold the watch and get some purchase on the edge of the watch back. Typically there's one place around the back that provides a slight gap for the knife; some of them are very subtle. Not surprising many of the brands found on these are Swiss.

This one falls into the marketing handout. Tiara of Switzerland was a Swiss watch brand that's now defunct. Search ePrey with the entire name and you'll find plenty of mechanical watches from the 1970's and older. It was one of the many casualties of the quartz watch revolution that just about annihilated the Swiss watch industry. Did some searching to find out when they went under without success. Nor could I determine where they were marketed geographically (e.g. Europe, North America, Asia, etc.). Most of the bankruptcies occurred during 1980-1985 and would expect that's when Tiara of Switzerland was either liquidated or absorbed by another watch company. From what I saw with a scan of ePrey for them they were a mid-tier brand using good 25 jewel ETA 27xx series automatic movements in the men's watches and similar quality 21 jewel movements in the much smaller women's watches. The 27xx series were the predecessors to many of the the current ETA 28xx movements which evolved from them.

Hope that answers at least some of the question posed by the thread title.
John
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 03:21:59 PM by jalind »
John

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 05:03:20 PM

Yep. There were a few watch makers knives up for grabs, but I sort of forgot about them, this was the last of a batch.
I do think this one is a bit different. I have not laid hands on it, but I don't think this one is actually an anno, from my Dad's description, more of an enamel finish (or similar). With the sparkle, and visible chip in the finish, until I handle it in person I might agree.

And thanks jalind for that bit of background.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 02:40:37 PM

Yep. There were a few watch makers knives up for grabs, but I sort of forgot about them, this was the last of a batch.
I do think this one is a bit different. I have not laid hands on it, but I don't think this one is actually an anno, from my Dad's description, more of an enamel finish (or similar). With the sparkle, and visible chip in the finish, until I handle it in person I might agree.

And thanks jalind for that bit of background.

I haven't had the time to look much recently but I did see a heap of them hit TM a while back.
The pricing was set pretty high IMO.
Bit sad to see them break up a collection like that.

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:22:53 PM
Turns out all is not as it seems. I finally got this in my hot little hands, and the only thing watchy about it, is the branding on it.
It also has Elinox and victorinox stamped on it.
I have no clue about these smooth alox jobbies. I mostly got it because it is green.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%