Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mountaineer Lite Review (and farewell)

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Mountaineer Lite Review (and farewell)
on: April 28, 2016, 05:01:23 PM
Every single Swiss Army knife has been reviewed about a million times - so I was surprised to find very little information online concerning the Mountaineer Lite. All I wanted was to see how wide it is, compared to other SAKs, but google just churns out countless product photos showing the side of this beautiful blue oddity.

So if anyone wants to see what this sucker looks like from the top, here it is, next to a Fisherman and a Spartan Lite. (Stupidly I picked two SAKs of almost identical width. I couldn't find my regular Spartan and I don't have a Swisschamp - they would have been useful for the sake of comparison.) It was a grim and gloomy day so I am sorry if the pictures are grim and gloomy too.

Three things I've been looking for in a little knife are: scissors, inline Philips, and the file. A tiny saw seems useless to me; if I want to cut wood any other saw in the world will be more handy, and there is no shortage of saws on the 111mm SAKs. (The saw on the Forester is awesome, for the size, but why go smaller?)

Conversely, there are virtually no metal saws on the 111mm Vics. The ones that have them are gigantic/ expensive/ rare. I'm not going to be safe-cracking with this thing - I'm not even going to be cutting sheets of metal with it, so a gigantic file seems like overkill. I would just like a little file for smoothing edges on things, for fingernails, even for grating stuff when camping. What's wrong with the nail file on the Classic? It's too small, and you can't cut things with it.

For a long time I've been plotting to get me a Mountaineer.  It's almost the perfect SAK... with one crippling defect. It doesn't have a Philips screwdriver, anywhere.

Luckily its big and weird looking brother does have an inline Philips. It also has the world's dimmest light. Grab your sunglasses kids, and prepare to be dazzled:

Let's not forget the so-called Plus Scales. No, let's do forget them because I am not a fan of microscopic biros, toothpicks, or indeed tweezers. And a pin. I can't remember the last time I needed one solitary pin so the Plus Scales are not particularly exciting to me. These ones are pretty, though.

I forgot to mention the price of this thing. I paid 48 euros, but the box arrived with a 63 euro sticker on it. Seems a bit steep to me. For that amount of money I could have bought a Swisschamp. (This is probably what doomed the Mountaineer Lite from day 1.)

So it's been discontinued, and I doubt too many people will miss it, but it's an interesting SAK. It's a little chunky, the light is rubbish, but the "must have" triumvirate of toothpick, tweezers, pin philips, scissors and file are present. Whoever decided to stick a Lite on this thing did it no favours; it's more expensive than it should be, it's fatter than it should be, and you can't help feeling that, for its heft, it's missing something. It's sad that it's been discontinued, because it's precariously close to perfect, especially if used in conjunction with a larger SAK like a Forester or Trekker that packs a decent wood saw.

The sun came out for a final photo:

Uh, I should also have mentioned that the Mountaineer Lite comes with all the usual blades and openers... And look, the big blade is sharp! (I thought I had the file open and snapped it shut on my thumb. I'm still alive so I don't get a Darwin award, but it was close!)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Mountaineer Lite Review (and farewell)
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:18:56 PM
Great review with  an awesome cut finger awesome pics!!!! :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 05:19:43 PM
Nice review!

I do like the thought of a metal file and inline philips in one knife...
I think i'd prefer the modeler over the mountaineer lite :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 05:24:30 PM by glenfiddich1983 »
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 05:42:48 PM
"i'd prefer the modeler "

Yep, that's the one I wanted! Impossible to find though.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 05:43:19 PM
Great walk-through thunderpants. :cheers:

Nice review!

I do like the thought of a metal file and inline philips in one knife...
I think i'd prefer the modeler over the mountaineer lite :)

That's the one that makes the most sense to me too, but it's been discontinued for a long time I believe.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 06:22:37 PM
Great review and pics :tu:

I love the wood saw don't get me wrong but I would love to see this size file on more things :tu: I would love a SAK that had file, wood saw, inline phillips, scissors, a big knife blade and inline awl and a med flat head driver :think: I think that might be the perfect SAK for me :D

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:55:56 PM
Nice review!

I too would rather have the file than the saw.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:44 PM
Good review and pictures  :tu:
I'm also in the camp of finding the file more useful than the wood saw, so I too like the Mountaineer Lite's tool set.  It would be better if they'd ever made it with the newer, slightly improved light, but I don't think they did.  I'd be interested to know if they ever made any more than one batch in 2009.  I notice yours has the round-handled eyeglass screwdriver with no "Pat.", dating it to around the same year.  Clearly it has not been a strong seller, no doubt partly due to price as you say.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:49:15 PM by shibafu »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 08:24:09 PM
Good review!  :tu:

Agree about the Modeler's appeal, an Explorer and Mounaineer in the same package, what's not to like! Would like to build one with the old glass and new file, the originals are pretty scarce.  :salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 08:29:25 PM
very nice review. the thumb will heal, we all make mistakes
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%